Ted Kennedy

Well, to be fair Dick Cheney and others have gotten the same prompt treatment, over and over. I believe he would have died long ago without excellent treatment.

To be fair, there are places in our country with excellent health care. If you're lucky or well off,you have good insurance. But I've heard of so many that just don't make it to the hospital in time (with heart attacks, strokes), they wait too long themselves or the ambulance just can't get there on time. On the other hand, I know of many miracles as well.
The Vice President is second in line for the Presidency, so of course he would have preferential treatement. It isnt even apples to apples with Kennedy. Kennedy is filthy rich, and an important politician, which puts him ahead of the rest of us. Can you imagine one of us having a seizure and being airlifted to a hospital?? hehe. Some folks really are more important than others.

Well, to be fair Dick Cheney and others have gotten the same prompt treatment, over and over. I believe he would have died long ago without excellent treatment.

To be fair, there are places in our country with excellent health care. If you're lucky or well off,you have good insurance. But I've heard of so many that just don't make it to the hospital in time (with heart attacks, strokes), they wait too long themselves or the ambulance just can't get there on time. On the other hand, I know of many miracles as well.

To be fair, he may have died in a plane crash in 64, or in a creek, say Chappaquidick, in 1969. If nothing else, he is one lucky duck.

To be fair, he may have died in a plane crash in 64, or in a creek, say Chappaquidick, in 1969. If nothing else, he is one lucky duck.

It's strange how things turn out. Karma, GOd, who knows. I had forgotten about the air crash. Yes, he seems to have had 9 lives as has Dick Cheney.

Others may die suddenly from a freak accident. John Jr. died from recklessness, but there were also "coincidences" like the fog that came in and his wife "shopping" for too long.

Once I was just walking along one summer and I heard gun shots. It was the first mass shooting in the history of the United States, and I just happened to be there!!! (Charles Whitman)

I never have understood who gets to live and who has to die in certain sudden circumstances. Sorry to get off topic.

It's strange how things turn out. Karma, GOd, who knows. I had forgotten about the air crash. Yes, he seems to have had 9 lives as has Dick Cheney.

Others may die suddenly from a freak accident. John Jr. died from recklessness, but there were also "coincidences" like the fog that came in and his wife "shopping" for too long.

Once I was just walking along one summer and I heard gun shots. It was the first mass shooting in the history of the United States, and I just happened to be there!!! (Charles Whitman)

I never have understood who gets to live and who has to die in certain sudden circumstances. Sorry to get off topic.
Im not sure how you would compare a Senator to the Vice President. Kennedy has lived much of his life recklessly.. cheating in college... being kicked off of the sports team..that unfortunate bridge incident with the dead woman, etc etc. his personal life is like a soap opera, not to mention his political life. I'm not sure how he could be compared to the VicePresident. It isnt even close. Kennedy, if only because of his name will ALWAYS be airlifted and have special treatment. Cheney.. he is the frackin VICE PRESIDENT.. second in line to the presidency, so of course he will have first dibs on health care. We elected him for that position and I would expect no different from the next elected President and VP.

Im not sure how you would compare a Senator to the Vice President. Kennedy has lived much of his life recklessly.. cheating in college... being kicked off of the sports team..that unfortunate bridge incident with the dead woman, etc etc. his personal life is like a soap opera, not to mention his political life. I'm not sure how he could be compared to the VicePresident. It isnt even close. Kennedy, if only because of his name will ALWAYS be airlifted and have special treatment. Cheney.. he is the frackin VICE PRESIDENT.. second in line to the presidency, so of course he will have first dibs on health care. We elected him for that position and I would expect no different from the next elected President and VP.

I did not see Marthatex comparing the character of Cheney and Kennedy, just the fact that both have strong survival history. I would say Cheney may be more likely to kill another than to die himself- (Umm the duck hunting incident)..
Point is if Evil Knevel has a better chance of pushing the daisies than these two, there is room for comparison, imo.

I did not see Marthatex comparing the character of Cheney and Kennedy, just the fact that both have strong survival history. I would say Cheney may be more likely to kill another than to die himself- (Umm the duck hunting incident)..
Point is if Evil Knevel has a better chance of pushing the daisies than these two, there is room for comparison, imo.
I guess I don't see the comparison between the two. The VicePresident of the USA, being second in charge, will always get preferential health care. And that is how it should be. Not sure why his name was even brought up in the Kennedy thread. It isnt even close to being apples to apples.

I think the bottom line is that people who are wealthy and connected will have access to better resources than the average person. I have no problem with the care he received, I just wish the rest of the world could receive that same level of care.

I guess I don't see the comparison between the two. The VicePresident of the USA, being second in charge, will always get preferential health care. And that is how it should be. Not sure why his name was even brought up in the Kennedy thread. It isnt even close to being apples to apples.

I answered you, the comparison was based solely on having been in "precarious health situations" and survived. I agree with you about the VP getting preferential treatment for a health emergency- he is 2nd in command - exactly for the same issue as to when we are in a def-con situation and he is removed from the whitehouse to seperate from the president and in some cases to the bunker- it's a matter of National Security.

As far as Kennedy is concerned, respectfully, that guy made a deal with the you know who a long time ago as is living it out :)

Read "The Kennedy Women" by Laurence Leamer; it has alot of interesting details and what all the women have done and gone through.

He also wrote about Johnny Carson, Ingred Bergman, the Reagans

Villard Books, 1994

Yup, I read that one.

Uh; I think someone missed the entire meaning of my post.

I wasn't being political, was talking about healthcare. Dick Cheney and Ted Kennedy are both privileged, but they should have the exact same government health plan. I doubt that either would be treated differently than the other in case of emergency. I think either one of them would be airlifted.

My comparison was that those of us ordinary citizens might not be.

My spiritual comparison is that some people seem to have nine lives or get "lucky", others do not. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Is that clearer?

I think the bottom line is that people who are wealthy and connected will have access to better resources than the average person. I have no problem with the care he received, I just wish the rest of the world could receive that same level of care.

Right, that was my point.

I have always thought it would be interesting if he died from pneumonia or congestive heart failure, you know basically drowning in his own fluids. :rolleyes:

I have always thought it would be interesting if he died from pneumonia or congestive heart failure, you know basically drowning in his own fluids. :rolleyes:

:laugh: Forgive me for laughing, curious, but that's a good one. I'd say Kennedy's "nine lives" include all the passes he's gotten on behavior that any of us would have been locked up for! (Or at the least, certainly not re-elected year after year).

Eve

That's the truth. Some of them also get by with hypocrisy, cheating and murder, too, Masterj. They have better access to that, too.

Eve

You know, I think the man has been an incredible resource for this country...he has unparalleled political experience compared with most of those who are currently in Washington, and he is consistent. Has he made poor choices in his personal life? Probably-he has demons that drive him like many other powerful people who have hit a glass ceiling because of their inner compass.

I have known him to be a senator that has championed people's causes, no matter how insignificant they have seemed at the time. I recall an employee of mine who had a husband who returned from the first Gulf War unable to function because of bizarre cancers and syndromes that had overcome his body. For 4 years he was denied VA benefits because his "illness" did not exist according to the Defense department. Ted K flew him to Congress to participate in hearings and committee meetings that virtually COMPELLED our government to acknowledge Gulf War Syndrome....saving the life of not only this proud marine who had so ably defended his country, but also the lives of his family and children.

JMHO. Bless you Ted-I hope it is nothing serious because your country desperately needs you....

You know, I think the man has been an incredible resource for this country...he has unparalleled political experience compared with most of those who are currently in Washington, and he is consistent. Has he made poor choices in his personal life? Probably-he has demons that drive him like many other powerful people who have hit a glass ceiling because of their inner compass.

I have known him to be a senator that has championed people's causes, no matter how insignificant they have seemed at the time. I recall an employee of mine who had a husband who returned from the first Gulf War unable to function because of bizarre cancers and syndromes that had overcome his body. For 4 years he was denied VA benefits because his "illness" did not exist according to the Defense department. Ted K flew him to Congress to participate in hearings and committee meetings that virtually COMPELLED our government to acknowledge Gulf War Syndrome....saving the life of not only this proud marine who had so ably defended his country, but also the lives of his family and children.

JMHO. Bless you Ted-I hope it is nothing serious because your country desperately needs you....

You are entitled to your opinions, but if he had been a not so affluent politician and not related to such handsome charasmatic folks as John and Bobby, but say a working man or even a bum and he had left a woman to die in a car in a very painful way (drowning isn't peaceful) would you be willing to give him such a pass and think he should be allowed to live his life doing as he pleases? What if Scott Peterson had been an up and coming political figure that was so popular with the country? Would he have been able to get away with murder?

You are entitled to your opinions, but if he had been a not so affluent politician and not related to such handsome charasmatic folks as John and Bobby, but say a working man or even a bum and he had left a woman to die in a car in a very painful way (drowning isn't peaceful) would you be willing to give him such a pass and think he should be allowed to live his life doing as he pleases? What if Scott Peterson had been an up and coming political figure that was so popular with the country? Would he have been able to get away with murder?

You are entitled to your opinion as well-had he gone to prison he would be out by now regardless, having done his time. How do I feel about Mary Jo? So Ted was a chicken and ran away rather than face the consequences of having been found with someone other than his wife, and it probably led to the death of this girl. Laura Bush killed someone in a traffic accident when she was 16-I bring this up merely as an example. The current administration has sent hundreds of thousands of Americans to war based on a lie-flat out no question. 4000+ troops killed, tens of thousands of casualties, and over 100K civilian deaths. Who has been brought to task for this?

When a crime has been committed, we demand as a society that someone pay a price, that justice is served and ideally that the person learn to give back to society after having taken away from it, right? How can you argue that this hasn't been done? Tell me how Ted has not paid the price for every crime, poor decision, indiscretion? And then tell me how the man has not made a contribution to society over and over again.

We do not do an eye for an eye in the US. People who make mistakes get out of prison. What I find unique about Ted as opposed to say OJ, is that Ted carries his prison with him and still is a contributing member of society...warts and all.

I can see the wasted potential in men like him-men who have spent most of their lives wrestling with their demons. I can see immense value in what he has done to better the lives of his fellow Americans-even in the face of costing the life of one of them. What more do you want from the man? Flagellating him for his actions of 40 years ago is head shaking to me....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back