Teen Jumps From Golden Gate Bridge "for fun" - Survives

Yeah, I'm not getting the hero or bravery thing here, either...

Darwin's theory? Well if broke his neck jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason,I'd think Darwin's theory would apply.

He's lucky he didn't have any serious injuries or end up a paraplegic. What a idiotic stunt. MOO
:loser:

I admire people with nerve, guts, if you will. It took both to jump off that bridge. Maybe he isn't a superman type of hero, but he exemplifies, to me, what his generation could do, if they had the nerve it took for him to jump off that bridge.

'Course this is only my opinion, and all opinions are valuable.

BBM (sqee)

He didn't jump from the highest point of the bridge. That, to me, says he wasn't trying to kill himself. He's 17, he's gotta know that more height = better chance of death.

That was my first thought, too, but the difference in height is small: 220' v. 250'.

Me too...all I'm getting is stoopid. I sure wouldn't want to be the parent, and hope I've parented my son better to even think of doing such a thing.

It's a sad thing, all the way around.

MOO

Mel

Last I heard, we had several hundred thousand real heros in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places, including thousands of Americans (military and non-military) aiding in recovery efforts in Japan, the latter despite potential dangers from radiation.

By comparison, jumping off a bridge "for fun" doesn't really cut it.

Last I heard, we had several hundred thousand real heros in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places, including thousands of Americans (military and non-military) aiding in recovery efforts in Japan, the latter despite potential dangers from radiation.

By comparison, jumping off a bridge "for fun" doesn't really cut it.

Of course jumping off a bridge doesn't compare to serving in the military! But risk taking personalities are probably highly represented in the hero population, at least in my opinion. :)

I am very happy this young boy was not seriously injured. It is traumatic for Teachers & classmates to witness this occurrence. Please join me in sending a message to his parents that "THINK BEFORE YOU ACT IS A MUST FOR GETTING THROUGH LIFE" Please & thank you!

Hmmm. I guess I'm leaving it up to the higher power or whatever to determine if it is good that this kid lived through his stunt. I sometimes think that circumstances tend to end the idiot gene, but for modern medicine...good thing or bad? For me, stupid is as stupid does.

Of course jumping off a bridge doesn't compare to serving in the military! But risk taking personalities are probably highly represented in the hero population, at least in my opinion. :)

I agree there are some similarities in the impulses (probably testosterone above all). But it devalues the word "hero" to apply it to any and all acts of recklessness. Do so and drunk drivers become "heroes."

The point of the word "hero" is to indicate ignoring one's own safety for the benefit of others.

It's that last element that is lacking in jumping off a bridge for kicks.

That was not bravery. That was stupidity and if he did it not to commit suicide he did it for the rush. You CANNOT compare this guy to Daniel Boone. Seriously. Daniel Boone didnt jump off a bridge for the heck of it. If somone was drowning down below him and he jumped in, without regard to surviving himself to save someone else, then you could compare him to real heros.

Hero may not have the politically correct word, but. . .it took guts to jump, he did it alone, without taking anyone with him. I'd much rather see him taking a chance with his own life, hurting no one but himself, as opposed to these guys:

At least 18 charged in alleged gang rape of Texas girl
TX - 18 arrests in alleged gang rape of 11-year-old middle school girl - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I don't want to argue with anyone here, each is entitled to their opinion, however, I look far more kindly on nerve/guts/bravery, than I do on those who hurt others or passively do away with themselves by overeating, etc.

End of rant

Hero may not have the politically correct word, but. . .it took guts to jump, he did it alone, without taking anyone with him. I'd much rather see him taking a chance with his own life, hurting no one but himself, as opposed to these guys:

At least 18 charged in alleged gang rape of Texas girl
TX - 18 arrests in alleged gang rape of 11-year-old middle school girl - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I don't want to argue with anyone here, each is entitled to their opinion, however, I look far more kindly on nerve/guts/bravery, than I do on those who hurt others or passively do away with themselves by overeating, etc.

End of rant

I don't understand why you insist on constructing arbitrary oppositions.

Why is it "jump-off-a-bridge" v. "gang rape a girl"?

Or "jump-off-a-bridge" v. "sit on the couch and weigh 400 pounds"?

While we're at it, let me add I think it's better to jump off a bridge than shoot up the school cafeteria with an automatic weapon!

But the real issue and real comparison here is "jump-off-a-bridge," risking your own life and that of rescuers v. enjoy the field trip and learn something about San Francisco. The kids on the field trip weren't raping anyone, nor were they sitting on a sofa, playing video games and getting fat.

The Golden Gate bridge is a marvel of modern engineering AND one of the most beautiful views in the country. Jumping when you are supposed to be learning is not something we should applaud.

If that isn't enough adventure for this young man, there are scouting groups, sports teams and pre-military organizations (ROTC, CAP) that provide opportunities for real service along with physical exercise and novel experiences.

Anyone who tries to make excuses for jumping from the GG Bridge, needs to watch "The Bridge" (found on YouTube and Hulu).

That is a sad movie - a camera crew set up a camera and watched the bridge for ONE MONTH. During that month, over 35 people jumped from the GG and killed themselves... only 1 survived.

Sad, sad, sad, sad... no excuse whether it was fun and games, a dare, or a suicide attempt... 99% DIE from jumping from the GG.

Anyone who tries to make excuses for jumping from the GG Bridge, needs to watch "The Bridge" (found on YouTube and Hulu).

That is a sad movie - a camera crew set up a camera and watched the bridge for ONE MONTH. During that month, over 35 people jumped from the GG and killed themselves... only 1 survived.

Sad, sad, sad, sad... no excuse whether it was fun and games, a dare, or a suicide attempt... 99% DIE from jumping from the GG.

I watched that, after hearing about it here on WS's (can't remember why/how it came up). Excellent movie. Very sad, though.

my brother was always the dare devil type (and has a permanent traumatic brain injury from hot dogging while skiing) He wouldn't have jumped off the bridge (without a bungee cord) but only because he may not have survived my dad when my dad found out about the adventure.

I am jaded and cynical after being around brain injuries for 17 years now. There are times and places to have fun and be adventurous....doing something like this should be punished and fined harshly to prevent others from thinking "hey, he did it I can too"

Under California law, parents are legally responsible...sounds like their homeowner's insurance is going to have to cover this. Acts of a minor residing in their household are covered by their homeowner's insurance. If he has a prior history, well then....

"NON STATUTORY LIABILITY – NO DOLLAR LIMITS

Parents are civilly liable with the minor for the minor’s torts, as follows:

Notice of Dangerous propensities [Robertson v. Wentz (1986) 187 Cal.App.3d 1281; Singer v. Marx (1956) 144 Cal.App.2d 637; Reida v. Lund (1971)18 Cal.App.3d 698; Ellis v. D'Angelo (1953) 116 Cal.App.2d 310; Costello v. Hart (1972) 23 Cal.App.3d 898]:

Parents on notice (who know or reasonably should know – usually from prior actions) of their child’s dangerous propensities are liable for failure to take reasonable efforts to protect others by supervising, restraining and/or correcting the child or warning others of the danger.

The absence of such ability to control the child is fatal to a claim of legal responsibility.

http://www.christian-attorney.net/parent_liability_california.html

(PS - on the way out of town, so if someone can link directly to statute, i'd be very appreciative).

Hope the city/county recovers their money.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back