Texas Officer says Blacks Have "Violent Tendencies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have encountered people elsewhere on the Internet with the same attitude. When I dispute their notion that blacks naturally have violent tendencies, I'm told I have my head in the sand. They support their claims by stating there are 100's of videos on Youtube of blacks fighting. Ummm....I've gone to high school and college with, worked with, and lived among many black people and yet I can think of none who've had "violent tendencies." But, apparently I have my head buried in the sand because I don't search Youtube for certain videos. :eek:hwow:

It's unacceptable to allow people with the same ignorant misconceptions in positions authority, when they are supposed to protect everyone in society. There seems to be a vicious cycle in this country, fueled in part by a lot of ignorance.

Don't forget Websleuths. This thread was proceeded today by " 2 dead 16 injured in Club Blue shooting".

Dude needs to be fired. Pronto. Not much is black and white (no pun intended) in this world, but a law enforcement officer articulating this absolutely horrific way of thinking and behaving is one of those exceptions. If this violence is to be stopped (including the incidents where LEOs are being killed), these guys - all of them - need to stripped of any/all authority immediately.

Imo - the so called 'LE training' needs not only a review but scrutinizing from a major 'think tank'. This thinking and or perception did not happen all by itself to individual people.

Historically a large group of people can be led to do the unthinkable. Imo, that is what has happened in the US over a long period of time.

Yes, and I would add that it goes far beyond LE training. It would be very difficult to undo a lifetime of social conditioning within the time-frame of any LE preparation. That conditioning is bred in segregated neighborhoods, segregated schools (yes--we no longer allow those to be legally mandated conditions--but they are still overwhelmingly present and have become more so in recent decades, particularly as courts have released school districts from deseg orders), differential hiring and disciplinary practices--in short we are steeped in it in our every day life. And politicians prey on those beliefs and fears; as do real estate developers, and the sellers of a multiplicity of products from guns to alarm systems.

Making a change is really going to have to take us far beyond retraining police--although I gladly support that as one piece of the puzzle.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The statement "blacks have violent tendencies" was made by an officer transporting her to jail, not the arresting officer.

So that means that two officers were in the wrong. The one who slammed her to the ground, and the one who made the statement.

I follow a lot of BLM folks on Twitter and they've been trying to get some traction on publicising how police unions protect their members, to the detriment of the protection of the society that police are meant to serve. Police who have tried to blow the whistle on racism and brutality in the force tend to end up sacked.

the problem with the rules of this forum is that only MSM links count, and guess what? This stuff isn't IN the US MSM. But here's a blog post as an example. http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/...ts-officer-for-exposing-racism-in-department/

Here is MSM but about a similar situation in the UK, just to show it's a thing that happens. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...icers-blowing-whistle-on-racism-a6795036.html

Racist attitudes by LE lead to higher rates of arrest and conviction - doesn't mean whites aren't doing terrible violent things, they're just more likely to get off (if they're charged in the first place).

And the social problems in some ethnic communities are largely caused by long-held, deeply entrenched racism and prejudice on an institutional level.

BBM. Thank you for that link. A lot of people (not necessarily on Webseluths) are saying this is a problem unique to the US.

So that means that two officers were in the wrong. The one who slammed her to the ground, and the one who made the statement.

Yes. There is a thread for the physical incident & this thread for the "blacks are violent" conversation in the police car with the second officer. Just trying to keep the threads on point. jmo

BBM. Thank you for that link. A lot of people (not necessarily on Webseluths) are saying this is a problem unique to the US.

Not so much unique imo, as blatant. Proudly blatant. It's well established these days that not speaking up against bullying and even worse behavior is seen the same as participating in it.

Yes. There is a thread for the physical incident & this thread for the "blacks are violent" conversation in the police car with the second officer. Just trying to keep the threads on point. jmo

Anyone have a link for the other thread? TIA.

My Mother made very un- spicy chili. That's what chili "tasted like" to me growing up. I was always puzzled when people described chili as being hot or too spicy. That wasn't my experience.

I live in a neighborhood where skin color is no more noteworthy than eye color. We like or don't like each other for all the normal reasons. That's my experience.

But remember when Mayor DeBlasio spoke about "the talk" he had to have with his son, about being Black and encountering the police? Well, he didn't mention the OTHER talk...the one with the MAP...that families Black, White, Yellow have to have with their kids. It's just a fact that we have to point out whole areas of just about every city, where we plead with our kids not to go. Too dangerous. A son of a friend who is Black fudged on his parents wishes and went to a party with college friends in one of those "areas." He was robbed by four other Blacks who took his wallet, shoes, and watch...and even though he complied, kicked some of his teeth out. Kicked him senseless.

That's a reality too.

For many police, black and White, these are the experiences they see every day in these parts of these cities. It's a reality...and you can't "educate" them to ignore the reality of these heinous parts of these cities.

For decades, much money and many programs have been directed to these areas, but they are as dangerous as ever...maybe worse. (Chicago) When we can fix THAT problem, when we take back our cities, when cops do not have to work in war zones...they won't make as many presumptions that are unfair to others.

But to solve ONE problem, we all just be realistic about the other. Many of our cities are hellholes and war zones. Nobody's lives matter there.

My Mother made very un- spicy chili. That's what chili "tasted like" to me growing up. I was always puzzled when people described chili as being hot or too spicy. That wasn't my experience.

I live in a neighborhood where skin color is no more noteworthy than eye color. We like or don't like each other for all the normal reasons. That's my experience.

But remember when Mayor DeBlasio spoke about "the talk" he had to have with his son, about being Black and encountering the police? Well, he didn't mention the OTHER talk...the one with the MAP...that families Black, White, Yellow have to have with their kids. It's just a fact that we have to point out whole areas of just about every city, where we plead with our kids not to go. Too dangerous. A son of a friend who is Black fudged on his parents wishes and went to a party with college friends in one of those "areas." He was robbed by four other Blacks who took his wallet, shoes, and watch...and even though he complied, kicked some of his teeth out. Kicked him senseless.

That's a reality too.

For many police, black and White, these are the experiences they see every day in these parts of these cities. It's a reality...and you can't "educate" them to ignore the reality of these heinous parts of these cities.

For decades, much money and many programs have been directed to these areas, but they are as dangerous as ever...maybe worse. (Chicago) When we can fix THAT problem, when we take back our cities, when cops do not have to work in war zones...they won't make as many presumptions that are unfair to others.

But to solve ONE problem, we all just be realistic about the other. Many of our cities are hellholes and war zones. Nobody's lives matter there.

Do you mean to imply people should avoid certain black areas? Because you specifically mention your friend's son venturing into one of those areas and being robbed by "other Blacks."

Anyway, I think I'm reading this correctly and I would like to mention many families live in these hellholes and war zones because they have no other choice, and no matter how often law enforcement officers are called to these areas it does not excuse the presumptions officers make about people based on race. Just no. Racial profiling, racism, prejudice - all of it's wrong, especially when coming from the people we expect to protect us.

The lives of residents in their communities should matter to law enforcement officers no matter the zip code, street name, or skin color.

Do you mean to imply people should avoid certain black areas? Because you specifically mention your friend's son venturing into one of those areas and being robbed by "other Blacks."

Anyway, I think I'm reading this correctly and I would like to mention many families live in these hellholes and war zones because they have no other choice, and no matter how often law enforcement officers are called to these areas it does not excuse the presumptions officers make about people based on race. Just no. Racial profiling, racism, prejudice - all of it's wrong, especially when coming from the people we expect to protect us.

The lives of residents in their communities should matter to law enforcement officers no matter the zip code, street name, or skin color.

And housing segregation is directly responsible for those "hell holes" in which certain demographics live. They don't live there by choice, rather, by design via developers and city planners. Take the chicanery out of the mix when people are trying to establish themselves in new neighborhoods, and these people just might have half of chance to better their circumstances.

Do people remember the show Queen for a Day? The audience would clap for the most tragic story.

So on the violence meter, how do you feel Adam Lanza fits? Elliot Rodgers? Tmothy McVeigh? Ed Gein? Jeffrey Dahmer? The Columbine Killers? BtK? Ted Bundy? Paul Bernardo and Karla ? There are so many more to choose from. Who wins the violence prize?

Do people remember the show Queen for a Day? The audience would clap for the most tragic story.

So on the violence meter, how do you feel Adam Lanza fits? Elliot Rodgers? Tmothy McVeigh? Ed Gein? Jeffrey Dahmer? The Columbine Killers? BtK? Ted Bundy? Paul Bernardo and Karla ? There are so many more to choose from. Who wins the violence prize?

I can't pick one but I would add Eric Rudolph to the list.

One time my wife & I (white/white) made a wrong turn & ended up in a black neighborhood in Chicago. Two police officers (black/black) stopped us and asked what we were doing there. After explaining to them what happened, they informed us how dangerous the area was & how to safely exit the area. Were they wrong?

One time my wife & I (white/white) made a wrong turn & ended up in a black neighborhood in Chicago. Two police officers (black/black) stopped us and asked what we were doing there. After explaining to them what happened, they informed us how dangerous the area was & how to safely exit the area. Were they wrong?

What I said:

It's not whether they were right or wrong, or whether or not you should have continued into the neighborhood. What would the officers have done if you told them you lived there? What were they regularly doing to protect and serve the residents of that neighborhood? Did your lives matter more to them than the people who lived up the street?

Don't forget the marathon bomber and the san bernardino terrorist and the pulse nite club terrorist and the chattanooga terrorist, those as well are tragic. jmo

Reminded me of my sister getting lost years ago in Charlotte, while trying to find a hospital. Before the days of having a cell phone, she called 911 from a pay phone, and the operator told her to get back in the car and drive because she was in a bad neighborhood. She was stopped shortly after, and the officer said he did so because she was driving too slow. He thought she was trolling the area for drugs. She is white, and was in a black known drug neighborhood now featured on the show 'Gangland'. The officer was white too. So, basically she looked like she didn't belong, IMO. That's what she took away from the traffic stop, because she 'swears' she was obeying the low speed limit.

What a ridiculous thing to say ; "blacks have violent tendencies..." ?? Really ???

Anyone who voices such statements have clearly never met a certain family in the city where my husband and I lived soon after our wedding.
Blonde, blue-eyed with a Norwegian surname --this family was spoken of by many for being the worst family in town and not just them, but their parents and grandparents for the last 3 or 4 generations.
Out of respect for their privacy I'll not name them --but nearly everyone in that city will know who they are if you were to speak their name.

Churches had tried to help them to better themselves and had sometimes donated food or money.
The monetary donations were a failure as some of them spent it on drugs and booze .
We've since moved from that city and state... but a friend whom I've kept in touch with said just last year one of the daughters of the family died three days after getting out of rehab -- she had purchased what turned out to be a lethal dose of cocaine from some teenage friends of hers and was found deceased behind a Dollar General store.
Sad and tragic.
But it has nothing to do with ethnicity and everything to do with how you are raised and the choices you make.
Everyone makes decisions every day. You can choose to better yourself and make wise choices, no matter what your culture or upbringing.

I'm not trying to offend or make generalizations about anyone. And I will not label anyone.
End of rant.
:moo:

And housing segregation is directly responsible for those "hell holes" in which certain demographics live. They don't live there by choice, rather, by design via developers and city planners. Take the chicanery out of the mix when people are trying to establish themselves in new neighborhoods, and these people just might have half of chance to better their circumstances.

Precisely. We are totally blind to the degree to which economic segregation influences all our lives. An area near where I live is currently facing an issue. A golf course has been bought by developers who wants to build houses. The neighbors are attempting to ensure that zoning requires that all the new houses have 3 car garages. That's a shady way of them saying, we don't want to live close to anyone who cannot afford a bunch of cars--or surplus space in their house. What the proliferation of such enclaves does is to leave behind areas where the majority of residents have very low incomes, and while these are precisely the folks who benefit most from things like well-developed park systems, safe roadways and walkways, library and school systems and the like, they are also the least likely to be able to maintain them well. Meanwhile, the three-car families, who can well-afford a tax structure to support these kinds of things, are typically located in another geopolitical area (suburb) and tend to be blind to the decay of such services as they have their own spacious yards and home gyms, have access to books and such resources of their own and either support a high-quality suburban school system or send their children to private schools.

These conditions are created and sustained by public policy. But we tend to be completely unaware--instead blaming the least powerful among us for their very powerlessness.

What I said:

It's not whether they were right or wrong, or whether or not you should have continued into the neighborhood. What would the officers have done if you told them you lived there? What were they regularly doing to protect and serve the residents of that neighborhood? Did your lives matter more to them than the people who lived up the street?

I am white but live in a primarily black part of town. Over the years, it has not been completely unusual when reporting crime for an officer to make the recommendation that I move out to a safer part of town. The attitude of some is that people who live in my neighborhood experience crime because they choose to live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500