TH Restricted from Possessing Firearms; Media petitions to have RO unsealed

This news of divorce and RO have definately changed my view of the way LE has been handling this case. At first I was skeptical of all the "no comments", but now I feel they have been saying what they could, giving the public statements that could be read between the lines. Now I fully trust that they have been doing the right thing for Kyron.

I feel that if the judge has a reason to keep the RO sealed, we should trust that reason. I guess the only thing I am able to do at this time is to watch for updates and pray for everyone involved.

actually that needs to really be stressed over and over (as you guys have been doing and great job keeping it clean here) because the rules seem to change all the time and what can be okay to post one minute may not be okay the next.

Great point! Common sense says you don't post anything about a minor - unless they are already posted in public media sources - then you post a link to make it legitimate. You also don't post things that you have sleuthed that are really personal about people who might have been named in some fashion in media, i.e. a "witness", a "neighbor", etc.... until they are truly part of the investigation. We have to "sleuth", that is what we "do".... but we don't cross the line of 'slander'/'false incrimination'... etc. I admit that if I read something about someone who makes a statement in a case, and they set off my 'hinky meter', I am all over them - but I would never post anything unless I found something obvious - and then I would contact a moderator. Use your brains, and put yourself in the position of who you are posting about. That keeps it pretty clean, IMHO.

Oh media...there's a time and a place to fight for info like this. NOW is not that time! Talk about looking desperately for a story instead of concentrating on finding poor Kyron!

This circus is actually accomplishing keeping Kyron's little face and name out in the media and therefore in the public eye.

I believe the LE is using the press to pressure "someone" and that is concetrating on finding Kyron.

Fortunately the pressure that is being applied to TMH is probably going to lead to the location of Kyron.

It is unfortunate because statistics do not support a "happy" outcome.

What's the law in Oregon regarding these cases ? I don't like exceptions to the laws, if it's supposed to be public record, they need to release it. Open record laws exist to protect citizens. What if there wasn't enough evidence to deny her the right to see her child and the records were sealed to cover up that fact ? I don't think that's the case here, but there's no way of knowing that if the record is sealed. I do think they should be banned from printing the name's of minors in the press.

Hi! I agree that if something is supposed to be public record, then most of the time, it should be. But, as with any rule or law, I also see the need for special circumstances. If having this restraining order's contents released to the public hurts the investigation, or possibility Kyron's well being, then I think the judge has the right and responsibility to seal the document until such a time that it would no longer pose harm to innocent parties of the investigation. Laws are there to protect citizens, but as my mother always said, there are exceptions to every rule.

I honestly don't know who did what. If there is information in the restraining order that will help find Kyron, the LE knows about it. My main concern is finding this little guy. Then, if the nasty details have to come to life to convict the person(s) responsible, then let them. However, if those details (such as the divorce papers) are not apart of any criminal case, then I don't want to know them. But that's just me. I know I really wouldn't want my personal business spread all over the internet for all the world to see :eek:

MOO and all that jazz

It says to "vacate" the motion........so that would be to unseal it right?

Yes, it has been unsealed. I have not located a copy to see what it actually says. It's so hard to go through all of these threads. If anyone else has found a link please post. All I found was the link that it was vacated.

I do not believe it has been unsealed. This is the same document from the other day. On the last page is the order to restrict access to the parties listed and also the judges handwritten order that it not be discussed by either party or their atty's without express permission of the court.

moo

I do not believe it has been unsealed. This is the same document from the other day. On the last page is the order to restrict access to the parties listed and also the judges handwritten order that it not be discussed by either party or their atty's without express permission of the court.

moo

The first page is new. It's dated the 29th. The order to vacate. It says page one of one at the bottom.

The other 2 pages are not new. It's the order to seal, dated the 28th.

I posted the document from OJIN. I haven't actually gone to the courthouse to get the written copy, that states the reasons. I am sure someone will. I am too busy sleuthing to get anything done today!

I posted the document from OJIN. I haven't actually gone to the courthouse to get the written copy, that states the reasons. I am sure someone will. I am too busy sleuthing to get anything done today!

I'm surprised the media did not jump on this and report the reasons as soon as it was unsealed. It was the media fighting to get it unsealed anyway. I have googled and not found an article. If I find something I will post it.

The first page is new. It's dated the 29th. The order to vacate. It says page one of one at the bottom.

The other 2 pages are not new. It's the order to seal, dated the 28th.
this is what I think the dates mean...
28th it was sealed... all of it was sealed

29th (yesterday... the day that we first saw the few pages that we saw) only those pages were unsealed and the rest of the document is still sealed.

The media reports about unsealing the rest of the document came out last night (night of the 29th) so I don't see how the rest of it could have been unsealed on the 29th.

I think all that was unsealed on the 29th are the pages we can now see and the rest is still under seal.

Hope that makes sense.. I could be wrong

29th (yesterday... the day that we first saw the few pages that we saw) only those pages were unsealed and the rest of the document is still sealed.

The media reports about unsealing the rest of the document came out last night (night of the 29th) so I don't see how the rest of it could have been unsealed on the 29th.

I think all that was unsealed on the 29th are the pages we can now see and the rest is still under seal.

That does make sense; and, it adds to the frustration and confusion in this case. IF the entire document was not going to be unsealed then none of it should have been. IF there are things in there that can hinder finding Kyron, then it needs to remain sealed!!

Makes perfect sense. I agree.

Ugh. Media just circling because of blood in the water. We DON'T need to know what's in the RO. If LE, the FBI and/or the judge feels that the information inside may be sensitive and need to be kept quiet because of the investigation, then it should stay sealed. Petitioning to unseal has very little to do with actually generating tips and all the more to do with the media trying to ratchet up their rumor mongering, IMHO.

Tabloids are part to blame for this, and "house wife talk" can do this as well.
An/this entire case can go bust with people "gossiping" about what they think they know.

I agree, this should stay sealed.

Just heard at 2pm on CNN HLN that the RO has NOT been unsealed. Reporter was from KOIN news. Sorry no links I was listening in my car on satellite radio.

Here are a few highlights I pulled out. You can read the entire article at the link.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/kyron-hor...d-explosive-court-documents/story?id=11050953

In the weeks that Kyron has been missing, his family seems to have crumbled, and experts said his parents' actions speak volumes, even as the two remain silent.

The divorce papers cite "irreconcilable differences."

But to file the type of emergency restraining order that he did, Kaine Horman would have had to made the case that his wife posed an immediate threat to him or their 18-month old daughter, according to former FBI special agent Brad Garrett.

The restraining order prohibits Terri Horman from having contact with her other children, an older son and the toddler daughter. Kaine Horman is asking Oregon courts for sole custody of the little girl.

Terri Horman told police that after touring the fair with Kyron, she last saw him walking down the hallway to his classroom. He never made it. Garrett noted that whoever took Horman likely planned the abduction as such decisions are rarely made spur of the moment.

Garrett questions whether police actions, including a reported six-hour interview with Terri Horman and the search of her home and car, and those of her husband could be part of a larger plan to get her to open up about the day Kyron vanished.

"It's almost like a psychological noose that they're pulling around," he said. "If we push her a little bit further, maybe she'll tell the truth."

A website devoted to the search for Kyron posted a message today that the site would be taken down at the end of the week, and that no more bracelets or buttons would be distributed unless through Kaine Horman.

The whole chain of explosive events, Garrett said, is unusual when there was no previous indication, at least publicly, that anything was amiss in the Horman family.

"It's very hard because with no history of any issues in this family and then Kyron disappears," he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back