The 2001 Coverup

Who knows why the matter was dropped in 2001? Protecting business deals with Second Mile board members? Protecting BOT members with Second Mile connections? Child *advertiser censored* ring? Pedophilia ring? To avoid dealing with questions about Sandusky's lucrative retirement package? To avoid getting Joe upset?

I thought of something else today. I was remembering how Anthony Sassano originally got connected with the case. As a narcotics investigator, he was investigating steroid use in State College, and by checking out phone numbers, and who was talking to whom, came across Sandusky's many communications with Victim 6.

No one, or hardly anyone, has picked up on this - whose phone records was Sassano investigating? Victim 6's? Or Jerry Sandusky's? Which makes more sense? And if Sandusky was involved with steroids, what if he was supplying them to the team??? Now this would certainly be construed as a "competitive advantage" by the NCAA, and could conceivably create a host of vacated wins, a loss of national championships, horrid repercussions for the program, and damage to everyone's reputations.

When Sassano testified at the preliminary hearing for Schultz and Curley, and at Sandusky's trial, they very carefully danced around the issue that he was a narcotics investigator, asking only what he knew about current charges and allegations involving Sandusky. Perhaps the grand jury and/or other investigations are still looking into this.

Add to this the fact that the NCAA has chosen George Mitchell to be our "academic compliance monitor"...someone who has investigated the use of steroids in major league baseball...he may be looking into more than just academics over the next 5 years...

I originally thought about naming this thread "horsing around" and just keeping track of all the time I've seen Joe Paterno quoted using the term. Instead, I'm placing this under the larger topic of the 2001 coverup, because I think it's important to understand where the term "horsing around" originated.

Here a some of the ocassions I have found where Paterno used the term just within the last two years:

Spanier, Schultz, and Curley all said they were told that McQueary witnessed Sandusky horsing around with a boy in the shower. But John McQueary, MM's father, testifed his son would never use that term: "That's an archaic term that my dad would have said to me. I don't think I would have used it, and haven't used it, and I don't think Mike knows it."

Is Joe Paterno old enough to be John McQueary's father? Probably so. It seems like he is suggesting Paterno originated the term. I'm sure MM told him that he never said it.

When Paterno met with Cynthia Baldwin on January 3, 2011, she noted that Paterno said that MM saw Sandusky "horsing around" with a kid in the shower (pg 83 of the Freeh report). She made no note of "fondling or doing something of a sexual in nature" as Paterno testified in front of the grand jury.

So what did Paterno tell Curley and Schultz when they met them in February 11, 2001? Did he tell them that MM said that he saw Sandusky horsing around with a boy in the shower? And 10 days later, when Curley and Schultz met with MM, did MM then tell them that he witnessed something "extremely sexual in nature" as he testifed he said? If so, Curley and Schultz must have been blindsided. They've been sitting on a rape allegation for TEN DAYS. It was only after the meeting with MM that Curley and Schultz began using "code" (Freeh report, pg 73) in their emails. The coverup only began after they realized Ol' Joe did not convey to them the seriousness of the allegation.

If this scenario is correct, Paterno did do the right thing by testifying truthfully in front of the grand jury; however, he left Curley and Schultz holding the bag. They're left with this ridiculous "horsing around" story that is not believable. They deserve no sympathy, however. If they were willing to coverup child abuse to protect JoePa's legacy, they've getting their just desserts.

I read this article today and thought of you post. "Horsing around" or "horseplay" is mentioned several times. It seems even young people use the terms to describe "innocent" locker room antics.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8285739/new-york-giants-ice-tub-incident-simply-horseplay

This convinces me that the horsin' word started with Paterno: Letter from a professor who talked to Paterno in December, released as part of the Spanier-led protest.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...r-allegations-werent-clear-to-paterno-650149/

"Coach said that McQueary was sitting in the same kitchen chair where I was now seated," Mr. Gray wrote in his letter. "Mike was fidgeting, Paterno said. He was sort of stuttering, mumbling softly as if he didn't know how to say the things he wanted to say. Joe said that McQueary had told him that he had seen Jerry engaged in horseplay or horsing around with a young boy. McQueary wasn't sure what was happening, but he said that it made him feel uncomfortable."

Also, there's an internet theory that "'coach' wants to know" in the email sequence refers to Sandusky, so I'm watching uses of that word too. So far it always means Paterno, as it does in this quote.

This convinces me that the horsin' word started with Paterno: Letter from a professor who talked to Paterno in December, released as part of the Spanier-led protest.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...r-allegations-werent-clear-to-paterno-650149/

"Coach said that McQueary was sitting in the same kitchen chair where I was now seated," Mr. Gray wrote in his letter. "Mike was fidgeting, Paterno said. He was sort of stuttering, mumbling softly as if he didn't know how to say the things he wanted to say. Joe said that McQueary had told him that he had seen Jerry engaged in horseplay or horsing around with a young boy. McQueary wasn't sure what was happening, but he said that it made him feel uncomfortable."

Paterno indicated in his grand jury testimony that McQueary said it was "something sexual."

Also, there's an internet theory that "'coach' wants to know" in the email sequence refers to Sandusky, so I'm watching uses of that word too. So far it always means Paterno, as it does in this quote.

Yes, which falls apart when the subject line in the e-mail is revealed. It is "Re Joe Paterno."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/s...-success-and-secrecy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
“He told me whatever I wanted to get from the school, I wasn’t going to get it, and this was a guy with an impeccable reputation, and unless he was convicted of a crime, they weren’t interested,”
Sounds like a recurring theme.
"The revelations of recent weeks were especially chilling to McLaughlin, and not just because of the horrible — and to him horribly familiar — allegations, or the suggestion that the university had shielded its own. It was also the timing: the most explosive charges — that Sandusky raped a pre-adolescent boy in the locker room showers and that university officials who were told about it failed to report it to the police — occurred in March 2002, just days after McLaughlin says he spoke with Spanier."

Spanier and company certainly had their hands full with reports of child abuse.

Reading some of the previous posts I think the "horsing around" may have started with Seasock.

Reading some of the previous posts I think the "horsing around" may have started with Seasock.

When did the Seasock report become public knowledge? I'm thinking after Spanier & company testified in front of the grand jury.

When did the Seasock report become public knowledge? I'm thinking after Spanier & company testified in front of the grand jury.

Public, not until Jan-March, 2012. It might have been attached to the police report, which the AG's Office discovered on 1/4/11 (per Freeh).

Twindad, Spanier, et al., might not have seen the police report.

How could Spanier have seen the police report? Schultz wasn't even aware that the Penn State Police investigated Sandusky. The first time he learned about the police investigation was when he was asked about it in front of the grand jury!

How could he not have known? He supervised Harmon in 98. He researched the 98 incident in 2001. How did he not see the police report? Just crazy.

Again we see a member of the Penn State 4 distancing himself from an investigation that cleared Sandusky of any criminal behavior. Why?

How could Spanier have seen the police report? Schultz wasn't even aware that the Penn State Police investigated Sandusky. The first time he learned about the police investigation was when he was asked about it in front of the grand jury!

How could he not have known? He supervised Harmon in 98. He researched the 98 incident in 2001. How did he not see the police report? Just crazy.

Again we see a member of the Penn State 4 distancing himself from an investigation that cleared Sandusky of any criminal behavior. Why?

Well, Schultz asked, in 2001, if the 1998 report was on file. There wasn't a suggestion that he looked at it. The 1998 e-mails give no indication that Curley and Paterno had that detailed information or knew about the report.

Respectfully snipped:

While it isn't clear how much they may have known about 1998, it is easy to see why they now want to downplay that knowledge. Much of the perjury charges focus on lying about their awareness of the '98 incident, and the more they knew about '98 at the time, the more shocking their failure to report in 2001.

Makes me wonder if they wouldn't have been smarter to tell the Grand Jury that they knew Sandusky was cleared in 1998 of showering with a young boy, so when McQueary told them he observed "horseplay" (their word) in the shower, they assumed it was more of the same, and wouldn't be child abuse or criminal behavior, just like last time.

Trust me, I doubt that was their thinking, and I know they still have a responsibility to report, but if they had presented that to the Grand Jury, there would probably have been no perjury charges, and it wouldn't have appeared to be such a clear cover-up in 2001, just naivete or stupidity, rather than malicious intent.

I thought this article was interesting because it indirectly states that Gary Schultz was not part of the campus police.

Penn State continues to wait on word of Clery Act violations

Another shower incident, in February 2001, was seen by then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary and was reported to senior university figures Joe Paterno, Graham Spanier, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. But the incident was not reported to university police, and now Spanier, Curley and Schultz are facing charges they did not report that incident properly to authorities.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/...#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop#storylink=cpy

Here is a hypothetical. Suppose that in 1998, Gricar doesn't prosecute, but realizes that there is a problem. He gets a message either to Curley or Paterno (or both) that he won't prosecute if Sandusky "gets help with the problem." The message would not necessarily be directly to either. Whomever it is lets it slide.

2001, either Paterno or Curley realizes that the 1998 message went unheeded. They know that, instead of being able to say, "Well the police and DPW investigated in 1998 and didn't find anything," they will be faced with a situation where Gricar didn't prosecute because they were suppose to restrain Sandusky. Whomever decides not to involve LE because of that.

I have been following the case with Chief Mel Wiley, the chief of police whom went missing and I used to live there. I see a connection to Jerry S with Ray and Mel Wiley. Ray did live in Cleveland and I'm thinking Mel knew Ray. I have been searching for Mel's whereabouts since 2008. My brother was questioned a few days after Mel went missing and they asked if my brother killed Mel. Of course he said no. I heard it with my own ears in the back yard of my parents house. Anyway, then 20 yrs later Ray disappears, almost the same time frame. What I am getting at is that I wonder if Jerry S. since he was a child molester, wonder if Ray was also involved with child *advertiser censored*? All the people in the world will say there is a cure for this. I know that its not true! Reason because My father was convicted and sentenced in 2007 & 2008 where he died in prison on January 10, 2011, was also involved with child *advertiser censored* & molestation of his own children, that started back when I was 4 yrs old and my sister was 2 1/2 yrs old, I do have flashbacks that date before that, but I can't make them out and his Granddaughters, their friends and my friend's daughter & countless children. In 2007, he was convicted on 6 cts and sentenced 6 months, they re-arrested him as soon as they touched in Medina, Ohio and in 2008, he was arrested again and charged with 13 cts and sent back to prison for 11 yrs(release date 2016) and of course that didn't happen, he served 3 yrs only. In my eyes, I wanted him alive, I wanted him to pay for what he caused ALIVE! He also severely abused my Mother for 51 yrs.

I have been following the case with Chief Mel Wiley, the chief of police whom went missing and I used to live there. I see a connection to Jerry S with Ray and Mel Wiley. Ray did live in Cleveland and I'm thinking Mel knew Ray. I have been searching for Mel's whereabouts since 2008. My brother was questioned a few days after Mel went missing and they asked if my brother killed Mel. Of course he said no. I heard it with my own ears in the back yard of my parents house. Anyway, then 20 yrs later Ray disappears, almost the same time frame. What I am getting at is that I wonder if Jerry S. since he was a child molester, wonder if Ray was also involved with child *advertiser censored*? All the people in the world will say there is a cure for this. I know that its not true! Reason because My father was convicted and sentenced in 2007 & 2008 where he died in prison on January 10, 2011, was also involved with child *advertiser censored* & molestation of his own children, that started back when I was 4 yrs old and my sister was 2 1/2 yrs old, I do have flashbacks that date before that, but I can't make them out and his Granddaughters, their friends and my friend's daughter & countless children. In 2007, he was convicted on 6 cts and sentenced 6 months, they re-arrested him as soon as they touched in Medina, Ohio and in 2008, he was arrested again and charged with 13 cts and sent back to prison for 11 yrs(release date 2016) and of course that didn't happen, he served 3 yrs only. In my eyes, I wanted him alive, I wanted him to pay for what he caused ALIVE! He also severely abused my Mother for 51 yrs.

We do have a thread on the Gricar case: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202380"]PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Just for the record, there is no suggestion that Gricar ever met Wiley. They lived in different counties. Gricar left Cleveland in 1979-80 and Wiley disappeared in 1985, in July. Gricar disappeared in April 2005.

Gricar, however, had mentioned the Wiley case, at least seven after Wiley disappeared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back