The 911 calls

Side Comment.

How do the Oak beach residents like paying over a $1,000.00 a MONTH in property taxes and SG proved how slow emergency response to the area is. Sounds like a good local election issue.

MOO

Side Comment.
How do the Oak beach residents like paying over a $1,000.00 a MONTH in property taxes and SG proved how slow emergency response to the area is. Sounds like a good local election issue.

It's the whole county - Suffolk has the 9th highest property taxes in the nation. In fact, most of New York's and New Jersey's counties are higher than anywhere else in the country.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/pr...taxes-percentage-household-income-2007-2009-3

I believe it has been pretty well established that SG told 911 someone is trying to kill met Det.Stephan wrote a letter to Newsday and said he heard the tape and he didn't she was hysterical and gave the impression she was in fear for her life by her tone and demeanor.......If someone can explain to me how a gal can call 911 and spend 22 minutes on the phone and say that and it not be hysterical......please tell me how that makes any sense?

Then we have them telling us she told the operator that she was in Jones Beach? If she was in Jones Beach the call should have went to NCPD, not SCPD. Why didn't the operator catch that and ask further questions as to her location. I guess we will never know that unless the tapes are made public.

Does anyone know what is recorded as to location when a 911 call is made? If SG told the operator an armored truck was turned over and there were 100 dollar bills scattered over the roadway how long do you think it would have taken them to find the location.

I believe it has been pretty well established that SG told 911 someone is trying to kill met Det.Stephan wrote a letter to Newsday and said he heard the tape and he didn't she was hysterical and gave the impression she was in fear for her life by her tone and demeanor.......If someone can explain to me how a gal can call 911 and spend 22 minutes on the phone and say that and it not be hysterical......please tell me how that makes any sense?

Then we have them telling us she told the operator that she was in Jones Beach? If she was in Jones Beach the call should have went to NCPD, not SCPD. Why didn't the operator catch that and ask further questions as to her location. I guess we will never know that unless the tapes are made public.

Does anyone know what is recorded as to location when a 911 call is made? If SG told the operator an armored truck was turned over and there were 100 dollar bills scattered over the roadway how long do you think it would have taken them to find the location.

I'm not entirely sure how 911 calls from cell phones are directed/located. I would imagine it's by the phone company's GPS, but I'm not sure, so I will look it up. Great question!

I thought Suffolk County recently installed a new 911 system where it shows the caller's location? I am not sure if it shows the address or a dot on a map in their general area.

Maybe they are afraid of a lawsuit if the 911 calls are released because of how long it took them to respond either by negligence on the part of the 911 operator or the responding officers or both...I don't know just a thought.

In one of the many interviews from early on a LE spokesman states that SG was on the phone with the initial 911 operator only a few minutes of the total call. Once SG mentioned Jones Beach, she was transferred to the State Police who have that jurisdiction. That is the reason the SCPD officer who responded did not know anything about her comment "they're trying to kill me". The pieces were only put together days later after she was reported missing.
SCPD responded to GC's and BB's 911 calls, not SG's.

In one of the many interviews from early on a LE spokesman states that SG was on the phone with the initial 911 operator only a few minutes of the total call. Once SG mentioned Jones Beach, she was transferred to the State Police who have that jurisdiction. That is the reason the SCPD officer who responded did not know anything about her comment "they're trying to kill me". The pieces were only put together days later after she was reported missing.

So would the State Police be the one to have her 911 call? Thank you! That is very important info to find out!

So would the State Police be the one to have her 911 call? Thank you! That is very important info to find out!

The first few minutes would be recorded by one source, whoever receives the 911 calls in the area, the rest by the State Police.
I don't know who she told "they're trying to kill me".

With all due sincerity, but are you trying to clarify or confuse an issue? From my reading of your post it seems as though SG was only on the phone for a FEW MINUTES???? Switching the call to State Park Police????? If that was written about I didn't read it. Was the Park Police even on duty then for the late tour. It is my understanding that many times there is no State Park police on the midnight tours.

With all due sincerity, but are you trying to clarify or confuse an issue? From my reading of your post it seems as though SG was only on the phone for a FEW MINUTES???? Switching the call to State Park Police????? If that was written about I didn't read it. Was the Park Police even on duty then for the late tour. It is my understanding that many times there is no State Park police on the midnight tours.

Hawk, she said STATE police, not State PARK police. State Police is who the call was transferred to from the initial 911 call.

One thing I can tell you from my exerience as a former NYPD cop, calls for help always get priority treatment. With rare exception everyone drops the coffee containers in their laps that are sitting on the dashboard and respond immediately. ALL cops always respond to an Officer in Distress, a man with a gun, a child in distress, and a woman screams for help in an instant. There is always a lazy cop that might not take it serious, but there were many other cops that should have made the attempt if the message was broadcast over the radio.

What usually happens when the dispatcher doesn't have more specific information is the cops will get on the air and badger the dispatcher for more information : do you have any more information, central?

My information is it is the State Park Police the call may have been channeled to. That doesn't mean SCPD wouldn't join in. The SCPD sure spent a lot of time at the Oak Beach Inn when the owner was in a year's long fight with Suffolk County.

I would like to give you an example on how SCPD responds by re-visiting the case of the SIL.

On the early morning on 7/30/00 there were two reported burglaries that came to the attention of the SCPD. One was the silent alarm emitted from a Harbour Collision, Jericho Tpke, St.James and the other was that of a burglary at Jiffy Lube, or right next door to Harbour. It appears as though HQ didn't dispatch a car to Harbour, but sent one out for a burglary when an unkown 911 caller said he saw 2 men in the Jiffy Lube bay area, and one had a gun. SCPD was there in a minute, and more than one car responded.

This would mean that two different teams of burglars committed a burglary on a quiet street at the same time and were not connected to each other. As the cars responded to Jiffy Lube the dispatcher told the cars about the other burglary alarm. Instructed them to check .it out as long as they were there. Said they held the Harbour job

The Jiffy Lube job came from an anonymous person that called it in when he said he just passed the Jiffy Lube, the alarm was ringing and there were two men in there, one with a gun. Why a BS burglary would go into a Jiffy Lube and brandish a gun at 1am is a mystery to me. The call was listed as anonymous. As it wasn't a critical call, dispatch never bothered to trace the call to the caller. I saw nothing wrong with that. BUT what I did learn from someone in the DA office who was no longer there that it was routine to trace such calls if it was important. There are still certain codes generated from such a call that could identify the caller. That was in 2000, and I am sure the 911 system has accounted for such calls in a more direct manner.

In 2003-2004, or when they investigated the SIL case the identity of the caller did become VERY Important! SCPD and Spota never bothered to identify the caller, even though my source told me they have done so years later if there was a need.

After much study of the case I came to the conclusion the 911 caller was a resident of the area and the alarm was exceedingly loud. He believed the cops wouldn't come to have the alarm shut off and so he added in there was a man with a gun, which is ridiculous considering the circumstances.

The caller COULDN'T HAVE seen a man in JF with a gun and the alarm ringing is because the alarm didn't go off until the burglars were interrupted by two gals that made a wrong turn and went into the parking lot to make a u-turn and testified they saw two men in the store. They also gave statements to the police in 2000 that the alarm began ringing after they saw the two burglars running to an alarmed door to exit the premises and the alarm BEGAN ringing after the wheels of the car hit the street, and believed they exited the door, thus, causiing the alarm to go off. This was all done in a matter of 30 seconds or less. It tells me it was IMPOSSIBLE for the caller to have seen two men in the store, with a gun and the alarm ringing because the alarm DIDN't begin to ring until AFTER the burlargs left the store.

The reason why I continue to re-visit the SIL incident is to show you good folks that the SCPD/DA will lie or withold the truth when it suits their purposes.

After the trial I attempted to interview one of the gals. She was then 25, and adult who was with her mother. I only had one question I needed to at least satisfy my curiosity. When I asked her that question they both bolted into the house and said they couldn't speak to me. I later learned her father was a retired ATF Agent now working for the NYS Insurance Dept, and agency created and staffed by SCPD retired personnel. The father's assignment while an ATF agent was on a Joint Task force with SCPD.

What was so difficult about answering a simple question: when did the alarm begin to ring.

If you think SCPD/DA would lie about my case to get a conviction or hide the truth what do you think they will do with the Gilgo Case and the 911 call?

As to the above. I had no idea what was going on and so I believed the burglars initiated the false call to draw the cops away from another burglary. But it didn't make sense. Call in the Jiffy Lube man with a gun call when two of their burglars were in the store???? If they weren't burglars planning another job how would they know the JF had been broken into. So it had to be something else. I gave the DA and police every benefit of the doubt.

Without evidence but a lot of sound reasoning, I asked myself why 4 men would bother to break into a JF's safe that could have only had 300-500 in cash, split 4 ways, one by a burglar that admitted to doing burglaries and home invasions as much as 300K and even bother with a safe that was so meaningless that when management changed the new manager didn't even bother to change the codes. One of those burglars was a Suffolk cop, the other, a citizen that had several thriving businesses, and a jerk that would rob the shoes off your feet to get money to buy dope.

It was not my intent to confuse you. I re-read the sentence, "In one of the many interviews from early on a LE spokesman states that SG was on the phone with the initial 911 operator only a few minutes of the total call.", and do not see it suggesting SG was on the phone with 911 for only a few minutes in any way. It, along with the rest of the post, says she was on the phone with two separate persons, the initial one for a very short time vs. most of her call with the second one.
There was no mention of the Park Police in the post.
For the record, mcme is a user name based on the first e-mail addy I ever had, and I am a HE, not a she.

thanks. but we also have det.Stephan writing to newsday saying he heard the 22min call. that is an absolute fact. If this was within the jurisdiction of the State Police I doubt very much they would have given it up.

Years back we had a dead prostitute dumped on the grass on the SS parkway near the border line of Nassau and Queens. If the body was in Queens it belonged to us, if in Nassau in belongs to the NYSP.

We had our share of them in all sorts of places so no need to keep a homicide we probably couldn't solve anyway. NYSP doesn't get that many. I mean they wanted to bring a surveyor down to tell us the body was theirs. Hey, we wasn't fighting.

I believe the parts of Oak Beach and shoreline are in the jurisdiction of the State Park Police, not the NYSP. If there was a question as to a homicide, or a suspicious death and it is not NYSP, then I would think it is SCPD.

Side Comment.

MOO

1000 a month??? Try 3000 a month.

I am writing in response to "Gilbert's mom asks feds to step in" [News, Dec. 21], in which John Ray, the lawyer who represents Shannan Gilbert's family, strongly criticized Suffolk County police detectives investigating the Gilgo Beach murders. It is quite obvious that Ray has not listened to Gilbert's 911 call nor spoken to any investigators assigned to the case.

Editor's note: The writer is the secretary-treasurer of the Suffolk Detectives Association.
http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/letter-all-out-effort-for-shannan-1.3473520

Didn't MP say that SG said ( when she was on the phone to 911) that " they are trying to kill me?" So then how is it that the detective who listened to the call says when she was in the house, she was not about to be murdered? Perhaps she wasn't desperate sounding when she was in the house because the adrenaline hadn't kicked in until she realized that she wasn't going to get any help from the police.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nobsnurse99
Back