The Elevator Video: What's your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could she have pushed all the buttons to test one of the perp's elevator tricks?

What sort of elevator tricks?

On YT they have different kinds of tricks, pushing buttons in different ways to control the elevator - making it zip past floors so no one gets on the elevator that you're riding, for example.

On YT they have different kinds of tricks, pushing buttons in different ways to control the elevator - making it zip past floors so no one gets on the elevator that you're riding, for example.

I saw them doing that but it wouldn't apply in this case because only Elisa is in the elevator and you have to push buttons in the elevator to make that trick work. What would be a trick that would have been used in this case?

I saw them doing that but it wouldn't apply in this case because only Elisa is in the elevator and you have to push buttons in the elevator to make that trick work. What would be a trick that would have been used in this case?

I'm just wondering if the perp related an elevator trick to her, and she decided to test it.

It wouldn't be a real trick - just something to gain her trust. Telling her to push all the buttons in the middle row and the door will stay open. "But you must push all of them, even the ones at the bottom. Don't believe me? Try it yourself."

That kind of thing.

Put the body on the elevator and ride it to the roof?
I've thought of that, certainly a possibility among many possibilities.

I also wondered about elevator tricks, it was a popular topic a year or so ago. Lots of talk in social media about what certain combinations of button pushing would accomplish

respectfully snipped
I also wondered about elevator tricks, it was a popular topic a year or so ago. Lots of talk in social media about what certain combinations of button pushing would accomplish
I'm glad you brought up this subject. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but IMHO, that's exactly what EL does in the video. Her selection of buttons appears very purposeful in the beginning. She seems to know just what buttons to press, even though she leans in to get a closer look. (Later I think she's just trying to get the heck out of there.) I think it's plausible that someone (security?) warned her not to go to the rooftop, but she chose to disregard the warning, and tried to get away with it. That's why she appears so nervous when the elevator doesn't promptly close, IMHO, and keeps peeking out, and stepping out, into the hall. The final time we see her in the hall making the hand gestures, IMHO, she's been busted. She tries to explain to the person off camera, and counts off the excuses on her fingers. Finally, resigned, she slowly turns and walks away. When you view the video from this perspective, her actions are not bizarre at all. :moo::moo::moo:

Could be something like that.

For that policeman to say that of the 100's of hours of video they collected that that is the best they have in terms of ID'ing her...well...that's just rubbish.

I doubt it was 100's of hours of Elisa - it was 100s of hours of surveillance video. First thing they did was probably examine all video on the days surrounding her disappearance. AFAIK, there are at least 3 cameras - lobby, and 2 elevators (probably more). So 24 * 3 * 10 (5 days before, 5 days after) = 720. Less if the cameras are motion-activated, or get rolled over after a certain period.

They must have known she was still in the hotel, or smuggled out.

respectfully snipped

I'm glad you brought up this subject. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but IMHO, that's exactly what EL does in the video. Her selection of buttons appears very purposeful in the beginning. She seems to know just what buttons to press, even though she leans in to get a closer look. (Later I think she's just trying to get the heck out of there.) I think it's plausible that someone (security?) warned her not to go to the rooftop, but she chose to disregard the warning, and tried to get away with it. That's why she appears so nervous when the elevator doesn't promptly close, IMHO, and keeps peeking out, and stepping out, into the hall. The final time we see her in the hall making the hand gestures, IMHO, she's been busted. She tries to explain to the person off camera, and counts off the excuses on her fingers. Finally, resigned, she slowly turns and walks away. When you view the video from this perspective, her actions are not bizarre at all. :moo::moo::moo:

Since the topic came up I've spent a bit of time tonight doing some research. Not a ton to go on but it's seeming like the "elevator code" is possibly as much urban myth as anything. But that's what we're doing here eh? tossing things out and tearing them down to see what fits and what doesn't

respectfully snipped

Why would security warn her though? She would have either been caught on a first attempt, or security knew there was a danger on the roof, and warned her as a precaution.

It doesn't look like she's wearing the right shoes to go to the roof either, unless she didn't assess the safety of climbing a ladder without proper shoes.

But if there is a person talking to her on the right, her actions are definitely not bizarre. Since the shared facilities are in that direction, it's not an unlikely scenario either. I think at the 1:59 mark it looks like she even cracks a smile (or some facial expression that shows her teeth)

Also, someone mentioned this earlier, she quickly snaps her head to her left to make sure she doesn't hit the side of the elevator door when she steps backwards - the quickness in which she does this demonstrates at least some level of awareness, reflexes, cognitive ability.

When she presses the door hold button, it really looks like she thinks it's the door close button. She always presses it last and with greater emphasis.

respectfully snipped

I had been thinking it was the reason she was wearing a sweater in Los Angeles, but not bringing a purse. She had been planning on going outside at night, but not actually leaving the Hotel.

Since the topic came up I've spent a bit of time tonight doing some research. Not a ton to go on but it's seeming like the "elevator code" is possibly as much urban myth as anything. But that's what we're doing here eh? tossing things out and tearing them down to see what fits and what doesn't

It doesn't matter if it is an urban myth or not. All that matters is whether she believed it could work.

I had been thinking it was the reason she was wearing a sweater in Los Angeles, but not bringing a purse. She had been planning on going outside at night, but not actually leaving the Hotel.

It doesn't matter if it is an urban myth or not. All that matters is whether she believed it could work.

that's very very true, good thinking

I'm sure it is, but EL might have believed it.

Why would security warn her though? She would have either been caught on a first attempt, or security knew there was a danger on the roof, and warned her as a precaution.

It doesn't look like she's wearing the right shoes to go to the roof either, unless she didn't assess the safety of climbing a ladder without proper shoes.
Perhaps security thwarted her first attempt, so she tried again. Or maybe security didn't warn her at all. What's significant to this line of thought is that EL was aware a certain floor was restricted, and she attempted to access it, anyway. Many have described her attitude as she enters the elevator as confident, defiant, amused. I think we see a little of each, as though she is thinking, "Ha, ha! Watch what I can do." But her attitude quickly changes once she gets a hint "someone" is onto her.

I can't explain her choice in shoes. Perhaps she didn't know how narrow the rungs of the ladder would be, IF she were attempting to access the rooftop. I have no specific thoughts on where she is trying to go. My speculation doesn't reach that far because there is so little to go on, (though we know she did reach the rooftop in some manner or other). Primarily, I'm focused on what we observe in the elevator video, and this is merely my take on her actions.

To clarify further, the LAPD spokesman said "close to 100 hours", not 100s of hours (correct me if I heard wrongly). Close to 100 hours is not much video if there were 4 cameras, accounting for just 25 hours each camera, just slightly over a day's worth of footage.

I could mean that the footage was only stored for 24 hours, that they are motion-activated, or that the police just narrowed their examination to the "close to 100 hours" of relevant footage.

I could mean that the footage was only stored for 24 hours, that they are motion-activated, or that the police just narrowed their examination to the "close to 100 hours" of relevant footage.

From watching the video carefully, I think the camera is motion activated. It stops for just about a minute I think after Elisa last leaves view and when the door starts sliding, it misses the motion for a couple of seconds before it starts recording and catches up I think because the door suddenly jumps a few inches.

Not sure if I have missed on the fact but Does anyone know why the time and date on the video is censored? :waitasec:

I wouldn't say I'm as positive as you that she is experiencing psychosis, but I absolutely agree with you about the hand movements. In fact, that is the single part of the video (from the 'smiling' and hand movements through the part where she grasps her hands together and seems to be talking to someone) that absolutely reeks of psychosis to me... however, I think drugs would be just as likely an explanation as schizophrenia.

Definitely possible. Like many here, I too have been around and observed people on various drugs. The reason this is not my favorite possibility, is that I've not seen anyone who acts quite "drugged" for just several moments and fairly normal the rest of the time. I know nothing about Bath Salts though. If she were using those exaggerated motions more often or doing other strange things, I would agree. Or if she did not seem to calm down so quickly (after finger counting). Still, it could be. Psychosis is more likely.

Actually, when I posted my original questions about her glasses and their location, I was interested in other interpretations. If she was not without her glasses, then what would explain her leaning down so close to the elevator buttons to push them? Maybe she wore contacts and was without her contacts, but if she wore glasses just for fashion, I don't think she would be leaning in that way. Do you interpret this differently?

Her behaviour outside of the elevator doesn't seem as strange to me as her behaviour inside the elevator. I think it's quite possible that she was speaking with someone who was either a) entering or leaving the washroom/shower, b) talking to her from the doorway of his/her room, or c) walking down the hall. In any of those situations, the person could simply have asked EL if she needed help.
What I find strange is the pressing of multiple buttons in the elevator, including the floor she is on (I am one that believes she is on the 14th floor) and the door hold.
What you have pointed out is one of the explanations I think fits with this behaviour. If she couldn't see very well, yet knew her floor was on the middle row, she would perhaps push all of them and watch the lights go out as she descended, or look for the different colour paint on the wall.
As you say, her leaning in to closely view the buttons makes sense in this case.

Actually, when I posted my original questions about her glasses and their location, I was interested in other interpretations. If she was not without her glasses, then what would explain her leaning down so close to the elevator buttons to push them? Maybe she wore contacts and was without her contacts, but if she wore glasses just for fashion, I don't think she would be leaning in that way. Do you interpret this differently?

I think her body language is too purposeful. If she could not read the buttons she likely would have tried to look at them from different angles, I think. Plus her arm and finger movements would be more hesitant and slow.

Bessie shared really interesting theory yesterday that perhaps she was trying an elevator hack. I wish I could find it for you but have a tough time tracking previous posts. However, Bessie is a mod on the late shift, so see if she will give you a direct link.

I don't know how far sighted people experience vision so it would be nice if a far sighted person weighed in.

But I know near sighted people usually see very well when they put their faces close. My vision is awesome up close. My vision is much better up close than a person with 20/20. If I want to look at something teeny tiny, I take off my glasses and put it right up to my eyes. My boyfriend doesn't need glasses. He has great vision. But for close up stuff, my vision is much better than his. I can see microscopic (almost) things that he can't see at all. If she were near sighted, for sure she could have just gotten close up to it like she did and she would have been able to read the numbers perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike