The geese just flew back

I'm in Jersey and the most of the Canadian Geese don't even bother flying south for winter anymore. They've invaded everywhere and they're THRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here in Denver, Linda7NJ!

this is the bird migration that we see here in my area every October and march. Quite a sight.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/swallows1.html
The Swallows of San Juan Capistrano
[SIZE=-1]Back from winter vacation in Argentina[/SIZE]
They're on their way.

The famous cliff swallows of San Juan Capistrano, that leave town every year in a swirling mass near the Day of San Juan (October 23), are returning from their winter vacation spot 6,000 miles south in Goya, Corrientes, Argentina.
They land at the mission in San Juan, California, on or around St. Joseph's Day, March 19, to the ringing bells of the old church and a crowd of visitors from all over the world who are in town awaiting their arrival and celebrating with a huge fiesta as well as a parade.

Those Canada geese.

i think it's too soon. they have come back from the south too soon. there'll be another cold snap and winter isn't over. :(

birds are making nests. buds are budding.

strange weather. :(

(see my location for where i am. up north.)

Don't worry. Buds budding and birds nesting are not triggered by temperature as much as the amount of daylight. The days are getting longer, so things are on the move, regardless of temperature. Things like spring bulbs can be tricked by warmth, but tree buds and birdie romance are all about light.

I'm in Jersey and the most of the Canadian Geese don't even bother flying south for winter anymore. They've invaded everywhere and they're THRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here in Connecticut- they are THRIVING all over our lawn!:rolleyes:

I would love to see that, JBean! I bet it is quite a sight! Thanks for posting!

I'm in the Chicago burbs and we have those Canadian geese year round. Pesty dirty things crapping everywhere. Yeck, like pigeons..... Was watching one atop a giant snow mound eating berries.

We've already seen our first Robin at the end of Janaury. Always nice to see.

Same here in Connecticut- they are THRIVING all over our lawn!:rolleyes:

I hate them! They poop like small dogs and ruin the parks and all of the beaches on the lakes....they're noisy, filthy and MEAN!

this is the bird migration that we see here in my area every October and march. Quite a sight.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/swallows1.html
The Swallows of San Juan Capistrano
[SIZE=-1]Back from winter vacation in Argentina[/SIZE]
They're on their way.

The famous cliff swallows of San Juan Capistrano, that leave town every year in a swirling mass near the Day of San Juan (October 23), are returning from their winter vacation spot 6,000 miles south in Goya, Corrientes, Argentina.
They land at the mission in San Juan, California, on or around St. Joseph's Day, March 19, to the ringing bells of the old church and a crowd of visitors from all over the world who are in town awaiting their arrival and celebrating with a huge fiesta as well as a parade.

That's lovely, JBean.
Here on about March 17 we have the return of the buzzards/ turkey vultures with a festival. If they didn't come the winter's roadkill smell would be unbearable.
The geese are here year round in the snowbelt on Lake Erie.

That's lovely, JBean.
Here on about March 17 we have the return of the buzzards/ turkey vultures with a festival. If they didn't come the winter's roadkill smell would be unbearable.
The geese are here year round in the Snowbelt on Lake Erie.

Turkey Buzzards are supposed to migrate? They reside year round here and I've only seen them the last two years. Never before in my life did I even see ONE before that! Now I see them in my development all the time!

I've seen Red Tail Hawks like crazy too.

I think it's because all of the woods are disappearing and being developed and they're just looking to eat. I feel very very sorry for them, if that's the case.

I'm in Indiana where it's been about zero degrees or colder and the geese have NEVER left... Heck, we even have robins throughout the winter in those cold temps... they don't migrate, either. I think your geese will be fine :)

More on the link...I love google:crazy:

icon12.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharlap

Guess it's not the cold, but food is why they fly south.

Just googled this...
  • Some migratory populations of the Canada Goose are not going as far south in the winter as they used to. This northward range shift has been attributed to changes in farm practices that makes waste grain more available in fall and winter, as well as changes in hunting pressure and changes in weather.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ada_Goose.html

More on the link...I love google:crazy:

Bumping this.
It's the food available to all birds...
The link says it all.

Turkey Buzzards are supposed to migrate? They reside year round here and I've only seen them the last two years. Never before in my life did I even see ONE before that! Now I see them in my development all the time!

I've seen Red Tail Hawks like crazy too.

I think it's because all of the woods are disappearing and being developed and they're just looking to eat. I feel very very sorry for them, if that's the case.

Some turkey vultures migrate, some do not. Same with redtails. Nobody knows how they decide, but it probably has to do with a good year round food source and hunting territories.

Hawk Mountain Santuary is doing alot of studies of turkey vulture migration.

www.hawkmountain.org

Redtail hawks like to sleep in the woods, but they need wide open spaces to hunt. Turkey vultures like to sleep anyplace where they can gather in flocks. Houses, trees, fences whatever. Although habitat loss is a problem for birds in general, these two species are thriving even in developed areas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back