The Hearsay Law

Does anyone know if this hearing is being televised anywhere or tweeted? I really would like to see, hear or read a play by play. TIA.

Is anyone following this? I am amazed at all the testimony saying he threatened her. I am appalled at all that his fellow law enforcement officers let slide. They can be held partially to blame for Kathleen's death, imo. Also, Stacy's, as he would not have been able to kill her if he was punished for Kathleen's murder, imo again.
Please if anyone of you are every in a domestic violence situation with LE, please do not give up reporting. Scream it as loud as you can, as often as you can, until someone hears you.

Is anyone following this? I am amazed at all the testimony saying he threatened her. I am appalled at all that his fellow law enforcement officers let slide. They can be held partially to blame for Kathleen's death, imo. Also, Stacy's, as he would not have been able to kill her if he was punished for Kathleen's murder, imo again.
Please if anyone of you are every in a domestic violence situation with LE, please do not give up reporting. Scream it as loud as you can, as often as you can, until someone hears you.

Yes, I'm following this...have been since 2 days after Stacy went missing. You're right about how everyone is testifying to the same threats to Kathleen. I don't see how Judge White could even think about not letting this hearsay in. I guess that Brodsky had better quit saying, "did you report this to LE?", since now witnesses are coming forward saying that they DID report it to the State Police, but no one called them back for statements. I can't believe how eff'd up the original investigation of Kathleen's death was and how everything just fell into place for Drew. Looks like alot of planning went into both her murder and Stacy's. (since I feel he killed Stacy too...and maybe even more!) :furious: It really angers me!

I'm following the hearsay hearing on a daily basis, and it IS amazing that every witness has stated that either Kathleen or Stacy told them they feared Drew would kill them. These two woman knew with certainty that Drew is a killer. Witness after witness reports the same story of Kathleen telling them that Drew held a knife to her throat and told her the only reason he wouldn't kill her right then is because it would be too bloody. Stacy told close friends and neighbors her life was in danger and if anything happened to her, Drew did it.

This could only happen in a town where the police are complicit in crime, covering for each other. Both Kathleen and Stacy knew that the local police wouldn't help them, and would instead cover for Drew.

I remember when this story first broke, there were several who were fearful of the local police. Rick Mims was one who went into hiding for a while. Tom Morphey went into hiding for a long time. So the problem with the local police isn't limited to abused women.

Let's hope that one of the outcomes of this is an investigation into the Bolingbrook police and into the ISP too, and the corruption is cleaned up.

So yeah, the "Drew's Law" is 'fine just fine' if it puts him away...

But what happens later... way past Drew Peterson?

It is a bad law.

It is going to put innocent people in prison because someone doesnt like them and is willing to lie about it, knowing that they could never be proven to be lieing. There are plenty of sociopaths, bitter associates or people who have preconcieved ideas out there, so it is going to happen.

In this particular case everyone and their dog who didn't like Peterson is going to "remember" that the wives said he was going to kill them, and there isn't a thing he can do to challenge that.

That is the entire purpose of this hearing, for the judge to decide if any of this will be let in in a trial. It won't be that just anyone who knows someone who is dead will be able to say "he (she) told me that they feared for their life." Any trial that wants to use "Drew's Law" as evidence will be subject to hearing to decide if the information is usable or not. I am sure you all know this.

Reading this article posted in media by Angel all I can say is just wow! I mean WOW!

Robert Deel said he had been handling crime scene investigations for about one year when he was called to Savio's Bolingbrook house in the overnight hours of March 1, 2004. He said he did not test for the presence of unseen blood in the bathroom, collect a blood sample from the tub, dust for fingerprints and did not take into evidence a glass of orange juice in the kitchen or a bottle of cleaning fluid on a dresser in Savio's bedroom.

"There wasn't really anything to look for," he said of evidence in the bathroom.

Savio's fingernail clippings -- sometimes a source of crime scene DNA -- were never tested, Deel said.

Deel said he also did not notice that night any of the documented injuries Savio suffered, but said it would not have changed his investigation.

"The bruises on the body are insignificant to me," he said.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...sons-answers-about-savio-seemed-scripted.html

What would have been "significant to this guy? Would a confession have even changed his mind?

Later in the article he also says this:

Deel also testified that after Stacy Peterson's disappearance in 2007, he was asked by Will County prosecutors to never again process a crime scene in their county.

Reading this article posted in media by Angel all I can say is just wow! I mean WOW!

What would have been "significant to this guy? Would a confession have even changed his mind?

Later in the article he also says this:

I know...crazy isn't it? One thing I can't figure out is, since they bagged Kathleen's hands, why did they not, at least check under her fingernails for skin to get DNA from. It seems like everyone, in authority, involved in the investigation, did very little, and totally ignored others who thought the investigation should be more extensive and possibly a homicide. Just sickens me, all that was ignored. :sick:

I'm with everyone else on this. I can't believe how many signs of murder this LE agency completely ignored. I guess whenever there's a suspicious death of a fellow officer's family or acquaintances, another agency needs to be called in.

for sure!
:mad:
fran

This from Savio's divorce attorney:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DREW_PETERSON?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

He said Savio told him on several occasions, "If I die, Drew did it."

Smith acknowledged that he thought Savio was paranoid and did not take such talk seriously, until he heard she had died.

He said he quickly called the Illinois State Police with his suspicions. He's at least the third witness to testify to doing so in the days after Savio's death.

Like the others, he said Illinois State Police never called him back.

Yuppers, this just leaves me completely slack-jawed. Had they investigated Kathleen's MURDER, they could have prevented Stacy's.

Every time I try to post on this I end up having to leave........ I can't say what's on my fingertips as I know I'll just get myself in trouble.

This just makes me ill.

It seems true that the department didn't want to investigate it as a murder at that time. But I have to say, they seem to be doing a good job now. Not only investigating, but they seem to be very open and forthcoming on what they did wrong then. So kudos for what they are doing now. Unfortunately it took the death of another of Drew's wives to get them to that point.

The attorneys testimony was also interesting. He claimed that Stacy didn't appear to be afraid of DrewP, yet she expressed fear to everyone else. And the info about Stacy maybe wanting to blackmail DrewP was new info. Not sure how I feel about that. I know when I was going for my divorce, I thought about and talked about doing a lot of things that I knew I would never do. But it does seem that Stacey thought she had an edge on DrewP with the info she knew about him. I wish she had written those things down and given them to someone.

What do you all think about Ric M's testimony? I remember him telling us that the only money he received for talking with the press, was enough money to pay off his phone bill. And the story he is telling now doesn't sound like the stories he told here.

I haven't seen any reports of his testimony yet. Do you have a link?

What do you all think about Ric M's testimony? I remember him telling us that the only money he received for talking with the press, was enough money to pay off his phone bill. And the story he is telling now doesn't sound like the stories he told here.

Hmmmm...$17,000 from the Enquirer...Mims must talk alot on his phone! LOL!

I think he originally thought he was hot stuff to be friends with a dirty cop. He then found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I can't imagine being this judge trying to weed through these statements and decide which to let in and which to keep out. I would think that Drew's Law laid down some criteria and guidelines regarding this. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know how much could possibly make it in to the trial. It is really a shame that it had to come to this.

At the scene of a death, who decides if it is a suspicious death or not? I always thought it was the coroner. But in this article that Angel posted, it sounds as though they allowed the inexperienced, maybe inept CSI to make that decision.

She was preceded by Michael VanOver, the deputy coroner who took the Kathleen Savio death call.

VanOver said that while he was at Savio's house, state police Crime Scene Investigator Robert Deel told him there was nothing "we need to be looking for here," prompting him to abandon the suspicious death protocol. The protocol dictates that the victim's hands be bagged and for the body to be placed in a fresh white sheet, a white body bag and a second body bag. Savio's hands were bagged, but the rest of the procedure was skipped.

VanOver also said he "didn't quite agree" with the state police's assessment of the case.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/...8690,Ex-wife-Peterson-threat_JO021010.article

Reading this article posted in media by Angel, I have to say I do agree with this statement.....

"You've got to look at these things very skeptically," Ekl said. "Two people who are going through a terrible divorce can say a lot of terrible things about each other that aren't true."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...n-hearsay-hearing-expe20100209,0,518581.story

However, when you have three wives and all three wives are saying basically the same thing, I think it becomes believable.

Experts are saying that the evidence tying DrewP to the death of Kathleen is pretty thin. And I am afraid they are right. With the witnesses, I see a pretty good case, but without the witnesses, I worry about this case. So here is to hoping that a lot of the hearsay evidence comes in.

I am thinking that they have looked into any connection between Deel and Drew, right?
Or, could they be saving that for the trial, if it doesn't pertain to hearsay?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back