The Innocence Project and Darlie Routier

It's good to see that the non supporters have finally admitted that the IP is on her case.
After a year or more of arguing that the Innocence Project hasn't and won't ever take the case, it feels like a victory !

<modsnip>

No, I am not a family member.
I'm just a person who believes Darlie has paid dearly for the crime of another.
Soon enough Devon and Damon will get the justice they deserve and Drake will have his mom back

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to see that the non supporters have finally admitted that the IP is on her case.
After a year or more of arguing that the Innocence Project hasn't and won't ever take the case, it feels like a victory !

<modsnip>

Soon enough Devon and Damon will get the justice they deserve and Drake will have his mom back
To get justice, if Darlie was wrongly convicted, there will have to be evidence of who the “real” killer was. What is your opinion on who that person is? Sincerely interested in your thoughts. TIA

<modsnip>

The issue is that Darlie is not on their website. So, it’s not that we wanted to deny it. If she’s not on their website can’t you see why we said they hadn’t taken her case? Doesn’t that make sense?
I do believe Darlie is guilty and I would love nothing more than to be wrong.

I was coming to say I don't think they have taken her case if you read the documents linked above. It appears they are doing their due diligence to see IF they will take her case. At least that is the way I read it. I am on the fence here. Never could understand why a mother could kill her children, but on the other hand her behavior and demeanor to me is extremely creepy. She doesn't fool me! AND no evidence whatsoever of an intruder......

I was coming to say I don't think they have taken her case if you read the documents linked above. It appears they are doing their due diligence to see IF they will take her case. At least that is the way I read it. I am on the fence here. Never could understand why a mother could kill her children, but on the other hand her behavior and demeanor to me is extremely creepy. She doesn't fool me! AND no evidence whatsoever of an intruder......
Are you saying that the Innocence Project is only requesting and paying for more testing and will wait for the results before taking on this case?

Being that she is not listed as one of their clients, but reading that they are asking for more testing in the documents, I took that to mean they would get the results and look at her case to see if they might take it. Sort of like sending your medical records to an attorney to see if you have a case for malpractice. That was how I read info in the documents above. I could be wrong tho.....

Hi

Well...I don't believe Darin was involved. <modsnip>
I think it was definitely someone who knew them. Not a random crime.
I really don't have a particular person that I feel did this.
Hopefully, we will all find out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my understanding the innocence project only takes cases that have DNA proving innocence. I do not think Darlie has that......:(

We don't know what the Innocence Project has found yet. So if they only take cases that have DNA proving innocence , why have they taken Darlie's?

I do not believe they have taken on her case. It is my impression they are reviewing her case to see if they will take it on. I could be interpreting the information posted above incorrectly tho.
IMO that’s exactly what’s happening. The IP has chosen to organize and fund further DNA testing. The results will determine whether or not to continue.

That explains why Darlie’s case isn’t officially listed as one of the IP cases. If the results uncover unknown DNA then hopefully LE will pursue the person. If the results support her guilt then I doubt her supporters will accept the science. MOO

[QUOT
For those interested in the various motions and orders filed over the years you can find many here:
https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty.org/PublicAccessEP1/CriminalCourts/
Case # F9639973
The most recent documents help explain the Innocence Project's involvement in Darlie's case. Also are some older letters written by "friends" and "concerned persons". One letter reads like a novella, presenting a possible scenario of what happened the night the boys were murdered. It suggests an intruder broke in with the intention of sexually assaulting Darlie.

One of Darlie’s first stories was that her neighbor had spied on her sunbathing in the backyard. She theorized he saw her through the window via the light of the TV and came in to rape her. He supposedly stabbed the boys so they’d be out of the way during the rape. Hence Darin’s bizarre comment to the police that night about the size of her breasts. That’s also the reason for a sock plant next to that same neighbor’s trash can.

Yeah, because neighbor rape with pre-emptive slaughter of her children (her husband in the home at the time) just go hand and hand. To be clear, the sarcasm is for one of Darlie's "first stories" and NOT the poster who pointed it out.

IMO that’s exactly what’s happening. The IP has chosen to organize and fund further DNA testing. The results will determine whether or not to continue.

That explains why Darlie’s case isn’t officially listed as one of the IP cases. If the results uncover unknown DNA then hopefully LE will pursue the person. If the results support her guilt then I doubt her supporters will accept the science. MOO

She is a client of the Innocence Project. This article has an interview with Vanessa Potkin who is with the New York IP. She was discussing Melissa Lucio but she also refers to Darlie as another one of their clients.

Texas woman's last-minute reprieve on death row draws questions about wrongful convictions

Yeah, because neighbor rape with pre-emptive slaughter of her children (her husband in the home at the time) just go hand and hand. To be clear, the sarcasm is for one of Darlie's "first stories" and NOT the poster who pointed it out.
Yes I totally agree it’s ridiculous, like all of her changing stories. But it explains Darin’s comment to the police and, IMO, the placement of the sock. The theory showed up in support letters to the IP.

She is a client of the Innocence Project. This article has an interview with Vanessa Potkin who is with the New York IP. She was discussing Melissa Lucio but she also refers to Darlie as another one of their clients.

Texas woman's last-minute reprieve on death row draws questions about wrongful convictions
Thank you for pointing out VP's quote. I don't know why it took 3 years for her to mention it in msm but it appears the IP considers Darlie a client. Is there any word on DNA results?

Ah, I stand corrected - the IP was finally mentioned in msm in October 2021, after the motion linked upthread was granted.
Additional DNA tests ordered for Routier

I guess we'll know soon if Darlie is indeed innocent. It would be nice to settle her case one way or the other. Does anyone know about how much it will cost to test the window screen and all that DNA? I've seen rates as low as $500 per to $2450 - $5000.

Hasn’t DNA testing already been done on much of this evidence? Which items to be tested are new and which are being repeated? This is all interesting but the trial evidence, per the transcripts, is hard to dispute.

I’m betting someone gave a big donation to the IP with the caveat they test/retest these items for further publicity and stalling. Just my gut feel.

All this new info is certainly interesting. Thanks MsMarple. But why has Darlie’s case not been on the IP website?
I don't know, the site is a little confusing. Melissa Lucio isn't listed either although there are articles about her on the site. I wonder if the IP's mission statement has broadened to include cases other than DNA exonerations?

And as for what's been DNA tested per the motion in Darlie's case there's no news so either nothing's been tested yet or else results aren't revealing anything which exonerates Darlie. It seems to be a combination of retesting the DNA of some items and testing of other swabs and cuttings, including the knife and window screen. I can't cut and paste the list but it's on pages 1-3 of the 9/30/2021 order. I'll post the link again for any who missed it: Reference case number F9639973
https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty.org/PublicAccessEP1/CriminalCourts/

*Also, entering F9639972 lists early (1996+) court docs.

I agree with you that Darlie's own testimony, lies and story changing helped convict her. Many people believe it was simply the silly string event that turned the jury against her but those who read all the case files know better IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back