The Klein Brothers and the Boy in the Box

PattyWack84

Reaction score
I see from some of the discussions about the Klein brothers that you had the same idea I had about the youngest one possibly being the "Boy in the Box".

Would you happen to know of any sources that could confirm whether DNA had been taken from the oldest brother?

In one of the articles I read it stated the description of the clothing they were wearing. There were two woolen hats that were found. There was a third hat that they said the oldest boy was wearing that wasn't recovered. It stated that it was a corduroy cap.

In one of the statements about the Boy in the Box, it stated that there was a corduroy cap found at that scene. I know that there is about 18 hours of a drive between the two locations but with the whole idea of the boys possibly being kidnapped and sold would make it very possible that the three boys were sold to different families in different States.

One of the ladies, Martha, that gave a statement from the wee boy in PA stating that her mom bought the little boy, abused him, killed him and dumped the body. She had no clue where the boy came from. Could it be possible that it was the the youngest boy from the Klein family?

It says the youngest brother was 4 in 1951. In February of 1957, that would have made the youngest brother 9, which may not fit that description given of the boy found in PA, but with the wee boy being severely malnourished, I feel this could be very possible. Plus, it states that the boy in the box was 40.5 inches tall. That's 3'4.5" tall. The oldest missing Klein brother was 8 at the time and noted to be around 3'7" tall. These kids could have just been petite for their ages.

I am attaching a few images and I think two of those boys look eerily similar to the boy in the box.

PSX_20220731_120400.jpgPSX_20220731_120357.jpg

orca-image-1064944056.jpegRZwc9XN-asset-mezzanine-16x9-hdjTrur.jpg

Looking again, although there is a physical resemblance, the boy in the box was found in 1957, and the Klein boys vanished in 1951, so the youngest would be 10 in 1957, which is outside the age range for the boy in the box.

The boy on his father's knee looking very close. Wow

Oh wow, thank you for this post—this is the exact sort of content we've been hoping/looking for!

I linked your post to the Boy in the Box thread (with credits) if you don't mind:

Would you happen to know of any sources that could confirm whether DNA had been taken from the oldest brother?

Betty Klein submitted DNA in 2010, and ..”they collected DNA from four of the living Klein brothers, and were even able to wring a DNA profile of deceased father Kenneth Klein from an old pair of shoes.”[1]

From context, the above must have occurred around 2016.

Betty died in 2013. Kenneth Sr died in 2005.

The other Klein boys were/are:

Gordon (oldest - b 1942)
Michael / “Mike” (b 1952)
Thomas / “Tom” (b 1954)
Lance / “Lanny” (b 1956)
Donald / “Don” (b 1960)

Some sources mention the “three living” brothers, but I haven’t been able to figure out who may have passed, upon cursory search. I suspect Tom and/or Lanny, mostly just because Gordon and Donald were major interviewees for the book, and Mike also makes some comments.

[1] The Lost Brothers, by Jack El-Hai, 2019, pp 3-4; 14.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back