The Sidebar - Ross Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duffie Dixon 11AliveVerified account ‏@DuffieDixon 3m3 minutes ago
Awaiting start of court in the #RossHarris murder trial. Judge wants to ask jurors about how #HurricaneMatthew has impacted them.

What's up with the delay? I have to be home for a contractor and thought I'd watch some of the trial.

Dave, is it possible to start on a new thread for this weeks trial? Thanks

The aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.......

I am getting the impression that the jurors are not all there....otherwise why not just start. Are some unable to get there due to hurricane damage? If someone has major structural or worse damage they cannot sit on a jury for at least another month. They could have a real jury issue here. Anyone with any insight here?

I am getting the impression that the jurors are not all there....otherwise why not just start. Are some unable to get there due to hurricane damage? If someone has major structural or worse damage they cannot sit on a jury for at least another month. They could have a real jury issue here. Anyone with any insight here?

I read they have 4 alt jurors. BUT having said that, this was a major storm so no telling what damage the group got. I agree could be a real jury issue here. JMHO

No court today..resumes tomorrow @9:00am

Status and scheduling hearing only. Per Judge trial resumes at 9a.m. - Wed 10/12/2016

Duffie Dixon 11Alive
@DuffieDixon
#RossHarris trial will resume tomorrow morning at 9am. Court has contacted all jurors and says they are all "in good spirits"

Duffie Dixon 11Alive
@DuffieDixon
#RossHarris trial will resume tomorrow morning at 9am. Court has contacted all jurors and says they are all "in good spirits"

That's good news, all the way around. A one day delay is less than might have been expected. Hopefully it means none of the jurors were personally affected by bad boy Matthew. ;)

----
** Snipped for Brevity **

(More generally- to each his or her own, but my interest in trials is almost always primarily about the legal process itself, not about the underlying alleged crime. Usually I don't try to imagine even once what happened during the crime itself, much less set about dissecting the medical or physical details.

As a result, whatever opinion I have about guilt or innocence going into trial typically isn't fixed, is subject to change and drastic modification, multiple times, and isn't particularly important , even to myself, lol.

The exercise I appreciate most is to try to put myself in the jury's position. The defendant is to be presumed innocent, the State has the burden of proof to convince me otherwise, and the defense has some 'splaining to do....

BBM -- This is so me. :) My main interest is whether a defendant is legally guilty or not.

This is a summary of what Kilgore brought in from witness Ms. Eastland's (sp?) original phone interview with Detective Murphy on July 9, 2014, the interview she said on the stand she didn't remember having, and some points of her testimony that contradict what she'd stated in direct as well as that 2014 statement:

She heard RH's car, tires squealing, enter the parking lot. She said he was in a panic. He immediately took Cooper out of the car, by himself, and laid him on the ground. He tried doing CPR. He yelled for someone to call for help.

After a short time he moved away from Cooper. He was screaming- " what have I done, what have I done. I killed my son. My son is gone. Oh God, oh God, what have I done?"

She saw him on his phone, still screaming. She told Murphy that "nothing seemed suspicious" about what RH did or said.

She told Murphy that her companion (Leonard Madden, but she only remembered his first name, and only with prompting) approached the scene, but that she had hung back.

On the stand, replying to Kilgore, she said: there was a time when Cooper lay alone on the ground with no one near (untrue); that RH began crying "sobbing" after he was arrested, and she could see him sobbing on and off in the police car; that she didn't hear him screaming in the police car; that his hands were on his head at some point when he was screaming- and pacing (note- so couldn't have been holding phone?), and that he was handcuffed very shortly after LE arrived.

(Will compare direct and cross of witnesses in bulk when I find my computer charging cord,;) too lengthy to do compiling and typing on my phone.)

Here is what I find interesting about the State's 2nd witness, Ashleigh Womack:

LE never interviewed her. Her first interview was with the DA (Boring) in March, 2016, and she was never asked to write a statement.

About her testimony-- she said she was on the phone with 911, telling them she thought Cooper might be having a seizure, when the "good Samaritan" doing CPR looked up and "sadly shook his head no, " which she understood to mean Cooper was dead.

She remembers LE checking Cooper , but she does NOT remember LE doing CPR (relevant to LE's testimony about doing 90 plus compressions). (Note- she said Cooper was her primary focus while at the scene).

She said she thought RH's behavior was odd-- his screaming in the police car --AND she thought it was odd that the police would arrest a father whose "baby had just died."

Here is what I find interesting about the State's 2nd witness, Ashleigh Womack:

LE never interviewed her. Her first interview was with the DA (Boring) in March, 2016, and she was never asked to write a statement.

About her testimony-- she said she was on the phone with 911, telling them she thought Cooper might be having a seizure, when the "good Samaritan" doing CPR looked up and "sadly shook his head no, " which she understood to mean Cooper was dead.

She remembers LE checking Cooper , but she does NOT remember LE doing CPR (relevant to LE's testimony about doing 90 plus compressions). (Note- she said Cooper was her primary focus while at the scene).

She said she thought RH's behavior was odd-- his screaming in the police car --AND she thought it was odd that the police would arrest a father whose "baby had just died."

I believe her testimony to be the most credible up until this point. Her description of the scene fits very well with witnesses 2 & 3. She didn't seem to be pushing one narrative, and unlike some of the other witnesses, she was not convinced her memory was better today than 2 years ago.

At some point I’m sure we’ll have transcripts of the testimony, but I went ahead and pulled these tweets and an article about the smell testimony from 10/4 and 10/5.

Claire Simms ‏@Claire_FOX5 · Oct 5  Georgia, USA
"To me it was unremarkable," says Brad Shumpert (Cobb County Police Department, a crime scene detective.) about smell of Cooper's body. Defense points out it was not in his report.

Craig Lucie ‏@CraigLucie · Oct 5
During cross exam the CSI says he never made a report about the smell at the scene.#hotcardeath

Carl Willis ‏@CarlWillisWSB · Oct 4
Defense: EMS personnel & medical examiner did not mention odor. Only the lead detective reported smelling "stench of death" at the scene.

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...lay-ross-harris-trial/fbYWUAavBz2iA4SC8xQk2O/ - “On Tuesday, a prosecution witness also present at Akers Mill Square, where Harris said he first discovered his son’s body, told jurors he did not notice any odor.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox