The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missouri Mule said:
That's legend and there is no tangible evidence that ever happened. Many people do not accept this as truth.
It's probably the same people who accept what Sylvia Browne says as the Gospel. She has a huge following and they accept what she says without any tangible proof.

Ken said:
It's probably the same people who accept what Sylvia Browne says as the Gospel. She has a huge following and they accept what she says without any tangible proof.
I'm sorry to say I never heard of her. Religion is based on faith. I don't live my life on faith. With me it is "show me the evidence" or as the late great Jack Webb's character "Joe Friday" would say, "All we want are the facts, ma'am"

It seems to me this case of three once living human beings is being turned into more of a fairy-tale than anything. This case will be solved on facts or a someone coming to police with knowledge of the crime. I don't believe a vision or any other act of psychic phenomenon will catch those responsible. It makes for an interesting read, but it's science fiction, not science. Sylvia Browne is interesting to watch on Montel occasionally, but you can't prove or disprove anything she says, which is what a really good psychic is all about. If these women are buried in that parking lot, I will never believe that a vision or dream brought about their discovery. Some sort of tangible evidence or hypothesis is behind it if they are found there. These visions are kinda like the Bible in that they are open to many different interpretations and anyone can just slide their own beliefs or wishes into them and make them fit. Facts and witnesses are what solve crimes like these, not voodoo or rain dances.

miles_draken said:
It seems to me this case of three once living human beings is being turned into more of a fairy-tale than anything. This case will be solved on facts or a someone coming to police with knowledge of the crime. I don't believe a vision or any other act of psychic phenomenon will catch those responsible. It makes for an interesting read, but it's science fiction, not science. Sylvia Browne is interesting to watch on Montel occasionally, but you can't prove or disprove anything she says, which is what a really good psychic is all about. If these women are buried in that parking lot, I will never believe that a vision or dream brought about their discovery. Some sort of tangible evidence or hypothesis is behind it if they are found there. These visions are kinda like the Bible in that they are open to many different interpretations and anyone can just slide their own beliefs or wishes into them and make them fit. Facts and witnesses are what solve crimes like these, not voodoo or rain dances.
That's true enough but it hasn't entirely turned on psychic vision. There is some small thread of hope that the motive for the crime is being given serious credence. That, in my view, is where this investigation went south, and where the investigation can once again take on a postive turn to a solution. Crimes, like any other human endeavor, turn on the reasons that people do the things they do; even criminals and cold blooded murderers.

Anyone else find it HILARIOUS that Ken is calling another's written work a piece of crap? Um Ken since you're so psychic why don't you tell us where the bodies are? Why don't you use your pyscho magic tools that can see through concrete and show dead bodies in some parking lot?

freaking kook

Mule,

I'm very interested in who this Florida tipster was. Also wish we knew what was told to authorities since they believed him to be so credible.

wasn't Sherrill's son living in Florida at the time? i don't know enough about him and his relationship with the family though.

can you mention any of the new info re: the Florida caller following the AMW episode?

miles_draken said:
I agree. Plus, as we have said before on here, it seems like the only way this will be solved is if a cold case squad from the outside comes in and takes a fresh, new look at this case from the very beginning. I don't know if the Springfield PD would allow that though as I think they have to be the ones requesting someone from the outside to do so.

I too keep going back to that caller from Florida to AMW, who Enrique asked about above. That and the fact that there could have been a coverup in this case.

There should be a brand new documentary done on this (apart from the AMW and 48 hours pieces)...especially since it will be 15 years in June with no resolution in sight. At least there would be someone poking around and asking questions again.

There is an age progression photo update on Stacy McCall's info on Charley Project today.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccall_stacy.html

Enrique Sparta said:
Mule,

I'm very interested in who this Florida tipster was. Also wish we knew what was told to authorities since they believed him to be so credible.

wasn't Sherrill's son living in Florida at the time? i don't know enough about him and his relationship with the family though.

can you mention any of the new info re: the Florida caller following the AMW episode?
That's a question that has nagged at me for 14 years now. All we have ever been told is that he had "vital information", was cut off and could never reestablish contact.

I don't know whether or not the son was in Florida at the time. That's what I wondered at the time to the present day. However Cox, who has been named as a suspect, was NOT in Florida during that time. He was in Springfield and was still working for the employer who was marking those utility lines. He is, of course, now cooling his heels at Lovelady, Texas for another unrelated crime and is more likely than not to die in prison of old age. His first possible parole date is in 2025 but is likely to be denied. He will get getting up close to 70 by then. He has always played games with the police and has written numerous letters to virtually everyone; some of which appear in the Springfield News-Leader. (You can read them there.) I've read them several times but am agnostic on his involvement. He claims to know something but won't admit involvement; nor (get this) won't claim non-involvement. He doesn't want to be put into the general population but is in 23 hour solitary confinement. It is possible he is afraid of a shive in his back in the prison laundry room if he is released from solitary. Who knows what his involvement is? He may have a contract out on his life by someone higher up in the food chain.

Her son?? What is there to say? He felt moved to post twice at one other website and was at the time counting the days and even hours since they were taken. This was posted back in June, 2006. I think he may have been in Florida but wouldn't swear to it. I just don't know.

The latest scuttlebutt is that the case has been given to some new eyes to review and that there may be an arrest warrant out for a possible suspect in the case. I don't know whether it is in connection with this case, however. I have no way to independently confirm it however.

There may be something going to break on the case but I'm from Missouri. So I will need to be "shown."

liz325 said:
I agree. Plus, as we have said before on here, it seems like the only way this will be solved is if a cold case squad from the outside comes in and takes a fresh, new look at this case from the very beginning. I don't know if the Springfield PD would allow that though as I think they have to be the ones requesting someone from the outside to do so.

I too keep going back to that caller from Florida to AMW, who Enrique asked about above. That and the fact that there could have been a coverup in this case.

There should be a brand new documentary done on this (apart from the AMW and 48 hours pieces)...especially since it will be 15 years in June with no resolution in sight. At least there would be someone poking around and asking questions again.

There is an age progression photo update on Stacy McCall's info on Charley Project today.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccall_stacy.html
Thanks for the update on the Charley Project. I hadn't seen that photo yet although I check it for updates from time to time. If it were only true. We will likely never know what she would have become and it was so happenstance that she was even there.

If I might make a suggestion it would be that anyone who wants to move this case along would be to sit down and write a handwritten letter to the chief of police there and ask that something be done. I've not done that although I have been in touch with the current officer handing the case and his supervisor. It is impossible to know what they are actually doing. But if new people were to go to the very top, it might do some good. I'd send the letter marked "Personal and Confidential." That should get his attention. He came in after the case had matured and would have no ax to grind. The previous police chief had an FBI background and micromanged the case to the detriment of the experienced detectives who were hamstrung from day one. Plus the crime scene was horribly contaminated by individuals who trapsed through the home before the police sealed it off. It was a "perfect storm" of circumstances and police incompetence.

I do also agree with you that police corruption cannot be ruled out. I won't go into detail here on this forum but I have reason to believe that may very well be true, based on my own personal knowledge of certain facts. Recently I felt compelled to spell this out in exacting detail to the current investigator and his supervisor. Whether anything comes of this is known only to God.

This thread seems to have died out once again. However, if anyone is interested in a lively discussion on this matter elsewhere, send me a PM and I'll link you elsewhere to two websites that are very active on this case. I have just yesterday ran across a piece of information that I found most interesting and may (and I emphasize may) prove to be a major break in the case. In any even you can decide for yourself.

I hate when these threads die out, only a few websites actually active on this one. This case is one of the most interesting that I follow. Seems like there are a lot of people in that area keeping things hush about it. I would hope that local people from the area would be following this on a regular basis.

I don't like seeing them die out either. Even though there is really nothing new, it's still nice to discuss possible motives, etc. My main problem is time but I try to still follow this case (and others) when I can.

Missouri Mule - I don't have a lot of time to post but when I get a moment of spare time I have been reading the ongoing discussion at one of the crime blogs and also the guestbook at airalex. I went to the Greene County Circuit Court page and saw what was referred to in a couple posts in the guestbook. Do you think the person listed in Suzanne's charge from 1991 could possibly be involved? He has several charges under his own name on there. That's something I have been thinking about a lot after reading that.

liz325 said:
I don't like seeing them die out either. Even though there is really nothing new, it's still nice to discuss possible motives, etc. My main problem is time but I try to still follow this case (and others) when I can.

Missouri Mule - I don't have a lot of time to post but when I get a moment of spare time I have been reading the ongoing discussion at one of the crime blogs and also the guestbook at airalex. I went to the Greene County Circuit Court page and saw what was referred to in a couple posts in the guestbook. Do you think the person listed in Suzanne's charge from 1991 could possibly be involved? He has several charges under his own name on there. That's something I have been thinking about a lot after reading that.
Actually no. I'm thinking of other individuals and I know that two of the officers involved in the investigation share my views. The reason I don't believe he is involved was that was just an ex parte order of protection that is quite common. Evidently Suzie had it dismissed which is also common. I used to see these all the time in my past working life. I certainly don't believe that would be a sufficient motive to murder three women. In fact, I don't see any motive unless he was trying to get back with her and she was rebuffing her. There was another more immediate motive looming. This is where the "48 hour" piece will help to flesh out the investigation. The abduction likely took place between 2:30 AM or later and was completed by 4:01AM. That would explain the large amount of money left behind and contrary to popular thought, the crime scene was horribly contaminated. I had previously viewed this as a highly organized crime. It was organized but not as well planned as I had previously thought. Otherwise the large amount of money of over $800 would not have been left behind.

The van almost certainly involved was the Dodge A-108 model that had a full 10 foot cargo area. This was the early generation of Dodge vans but surprisingly is still extremely popular and fetching some rather zoomy prices. This is what they look like. It would have been quite similar to this one I found on the internet. (This is not it, btw) It is believed by some that the van in question was a work truck with no rear windows as shown in these photos.

http://www.adclassix.com/ads/67dodgecargovan.htm

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006a.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006c.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006d.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006e.jpg

Missouri Mule said:
Actually no. I'm thinking of other individuals and I know that two of the officers involved in the investigation share my views. The reason I don't believe he is involved was that was just an ex parte order of protection that is quite common. Evidently Suzie had it dismissed which is also common. I used to see these all the time in my past working life. I certainly don't believe that would be a sufficient motive to murder three women. In fact, I don't see any motive unless he was trying to get back with her and she was rebuffing her. There was another more immediate motive looming. This is where the "48 hour" piece will help to flesh out the investigation. The abduction likely took place between 2:30 AM or later and was completed by 4:01AM. That would explain the large amount of money left behind and contrary to popular thought, the crime scene was horribly contaminated. I had previously viewed this as a highly organized crime. It was organized but not as well planned as I had previously thought. Otherwise the large amount of money of over $800 would not have been left behind.

The van almost certainly involved was the Dodge A-108 model that had a full 10 foot cargo area. This was the early generation of Dodge vans but surprisingly is still extremely popular and fetching some rather zoomy prices. This is what they look like. It would have been quite similar to this one I found on the internet. (This is not it, btw) It is believed by some that the van in question was a work truck with no rear windows as shown in these photos.

http://www.adclassix.com/ads/67dodgecargovan.htm

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006a.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006c.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006d.jpg

http://www.westol.com/~blcars/images/sale3006e.jpg

I see your point and I agree...it wouldn't exactly be a motive for kidnapping and killing all 3 women. I have one other individual in mind, who I have thought about since the beginning. I also wondered about the guy Sherrill supposedly dated who worked for a cement company. I don't know if that person was ever a real suspect or if that was just a theory that has since been dismissed.

liz325 said:
I see your point and I agree...it wouldn't exactly be a motive for kidnapping and killing all 3 women. I have one other individual in mind, who I have thought about since the beginning. I also wondered about the guy Sherrill supposedly dated who worked for a cement company. I don't know if that person was ever a real suspect or if that was just a theory that has since been dismissed.
I'm not real sure who you are referring to although I can guess. Certainly he can't be ruled out. On the cement company and who Sherrill may have dated, I really don't know about that. I tend to be doubtful and I see no real motive.

On the motive for killing all three women, that is easily explained. First of all, we can safely assume that Stacy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's #1. On Sherrill or Suzie, as you undoubtedly know, mothers and daughters are very, very close. Unlike sons and fathers of which I was one, we were never that close and I suspect that's about par for the course. The truth is that men don't really have friends like women have friends. That's probably one of the reasons men don't live as long as women. We don't have the support groups that women do. We tend to turn our grief inward and most men, especially older men, don't live that long afterwards if they are widowed when their wives predecease them. That's a bit off the mark but I wanted to make the point that Suzie and Sherrill knew what the other knew. Regardless of which one was intended to be taken, the other one had to go as well because the other would have fingered the perpetrators. Which goes to the late hour of the night.

If Sherrill was the intended target, there was plenty of time to have snatched her and certainly before 2:30 AM. Whatever so-called ruse could have been used to gain entry, simply overpowered Sherrill and thrown her into the van or the trunk of a car and taken away to be done away with. But then Suzie would have been left behind to point the finger at the perpetrators. So she had to go as well, had Sherrill been the target. However, there is no evidence of any kind that I am aware that would suggest she was in any difficulty. In fact, one of my co-workers had her hair done by Sherrill just two days before they were grabbed and it was just light banter as they discussed the upcoming graduation of their respective daughters. As to all of the various rumors floating around, I don't put much stock in that. That's #2.

That leaves Suzie. Now it's no secret that she had kept some bad company. She had an ex parte order against a former boyfriend but she dropped that herself. These are quite common and equally common that they are dropped as they patch things up. Hardly a reason to murder someone. But Suzie had something looming in her near future. She was going to be a witness in an upcoming trial; a felony trial. I won't go further than that but would invite you to read the Greene County website and look up Suzie's name on the index of cases and see for yourself on the docket sheet. Does this provide the necessary motive to murder three women? I can't say but we know all too well people have been murdered for far less.

What none of us know is what went on within the Springfield Police Department. A lot of people there had different theories even to the present day including one former high ranking official who said "extra terresterials" took them. If you think that is the mark of incompetence, you'd be right.

But two investigators fingered certain people and I believe they knew what they were talking about. One is no longer with the department and the other still is.

As to the van which was the primary focus of the investigation, I am now reasonably convinced it is the key to the solving of this crime. It was, to the best of my knowledge a Dodge A-108 longbed work truck without rear windows. I believe that van was seen at another location and the police have yet to (to my knowledge) investigate that sighting. That sighting also, is in my opinion, the key to the solution to the location of the remains of the women. Will the police act on that information? You tell me. Thus far they haven't.

One final thing: I believe the abduction took place between 2:30 AM and 4:01 AM. That would be the earliest twilight period and the abductors had to be out of "Dodge" before that van could be seen clearly be emerging daylight. That would go to the matter of leaving the large sum of money behind in Sherill's purse; some $800. They wanted the women and they wanted to be gone ASAP.

liz325 said:
{I couldn't agree with you more that a fresh look by retired detectives who would be given unrestricted access to the files would be a very good idea. This was the single most expensive operation in Springfield history and to hear them tell it they don't have a single clue of who did it or why it was done. I don't believe that for one second nor do I believe it was a random act. }

There is one organization mentioned on a couple other posts on here that I have also seen on TV shows about unsolved cases called the Vidocq Society. They're out of Philadelphia I believe and they take on unsolved disappearances and crimes that usually everyone else gives up on. This case sounds tailor-made for them. I don't know if just anyone can contact them about the case or if LE has to make initial contact and submit the files. Of course, if the Springfield PD wants the lid kept on this case, they may not share any information with an outside group, even one with a good reputation like Vidocq. Here is a link for them.

www.vidocq.org
I'm curious. Did you ever contact this organization about this case? I read the information and if they are actually what they say, this case would indeed be perfect for them to analyze. I would be happy to pass this along to the SPD but they are so thick headed they wouldn't listen to me. There is a credible witness that has come forth and they won't even return the phone call or contact via e-mail although they have both at their disposal. If anyone wants to tackle that problem that would be great. Once they get their back up, the actual muderers could walk in the door and they'd get the bum's rush in my opinion. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe it's a "police thing." They know best and the rest of us are idiots because we don't wear the uniform. Very frustrating.

Do you think this actually fits this scenario? They are known for solving quite a few crimes and are a very distinguished bunch of people.

Here's the prereq's tho:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Case Intake[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Vidocq Society investigation can begin only after we are contacted by a family member or law enforcement agency asking us to review an unsolved cold case. A family member making a request must have standing in the case. In all cases the investigating law enforcement agency must welcome our help.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For The Vidocq Society to consider an unsolved death or homicide case, our by-laws require that: [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the death must have occurred at least two years prior; [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the victim cannot have been engaged in dangerous or illicit activity of any kind; [/font]
  • if[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] presented to a meeting by law enforcement or an investigator with standing in the matter no family members may be present; and[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We will not provide updates or other information to the family. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If a case were adopted by the Society we would not submit progress or other reports to the family. Any information release would be determined by law enforcement and disseminated by them.[/font]

Missouri Mule said:
I'm curious. Did you ever contact this organization about this case? I read the information and if they are actually what they say, this case would indeed be perfect for them to analyze. I would be happy to pass this along to the SPD but they are so thick headed they wouldn't listen to me. There is a credible witness that has come forth and they won't even return the phone call or contact via e-mail although they have both at their disposal. If anyone wants to tackle that problem that would be great. Once they get their back up, the actual muderers could walk in the door and they'd get the bum's rush in my opinion. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe it's a "police thing." They know best and the rest of us are idiots because we don't wear the uniform. Very frustrating.
MM - No I didn't but as Kim posted after you, they must be contacted by a family member. They also have other criteria for submitting a case which is listed in her post also. This case is perfect for them. I wish circumstances were such that they could take it. There is someone else I was thinking of contacting, and I will either post or PM you about that hopefully tonight and let you know who.

After re-reading the criteria from Vidocq it sounds like the McCall family could possibly present the case to them. I don't know if they know about Vidocq or not. Sherrill Levitt's sister Debbie could also maybe contact them. Janis McCall could be contacted about the possibility of this maybe through her One Missing Link organization she set up after Stacy went missing. I'll have to look at the website later when I get off work and see about contact information.

liz325 said:
After re-reading the criteria from Vidocq it sounds like the McCall family could possibly present the case to them. I don't know if they know about Vidocq or not. Sherrill Levitt's sister Debbie could also maybe contact them. Janis McCall could be contacted about the possibility of this maybe through her One Missing Link organization she set up after Stacy went missing. I'll have to look at the website later when I get off work and see about contact information.
I think that's a very good idea. I would suggest that you somehow get this information directly to the parents. (Perhaps someone knows them and could do this.) That touches on another aspect of this case I find troubling. Offhand, I think the best way to go about this might be to simply copy the page and mail it to her with a short note that she might want to explore the case with them. Alternatively, you could also do the same with Sherrill's sister.

Offhand, I think the Springfield P.D. is hopeless. This is by most reckoning was one of the most botched investigations in their history. Their procedures have substantially improved at the current time but I think they have such a bad taste they think it is radioactive so a new uninvolved group needs to look at the case. It is time to do this because frankly time is running out for people who could be witnesses that could bring a conviction of the perpetrators. Perhaps the best we might hope for is that the remains be found so the families have some small peace at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000