The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now eaten up with curiosity about the steps the purses were found on. Most likely just a small step up as MM said from a “sunken” area but just breaks my heart to think of what was just a routine place where pocket books were kept. At first I thought there might be some sort of attic with perhaps a small dormer room led to by a narrow set of stairs.

With some sort of further education possibly expected for Suzy perhaps Sherrill was squirreling her money away.

The pictures gone from the frame leads one to think “trophies” of a madman like BTK. Totally at ease and poised enough to calmly take them out and place the empty frame back with the pictures missing just like the girls. <Shudder>

mule-yeah the google earth is neat. since you lived in the area you can probably recognize a lot of the places but it's too blurry for detail. I didn't know they had a pay one, but $400!

liz-I, too, think they were already in the home. Interesting point on the photos being a "trophy" type thing. Also interesting whoever said the perps may be identifiable in those pics although that would give police a starting point. Sounds like they didn't follow through on that. I'm surprised there wasn't evidence of some type of struggle or anything at all because I believe these people expected Sherrill to be alone. Even if they cleaned up after they kidnapped the three women, you know it would be so difficult to leave nothing at all amiss, no hairs, no prints, no nothing. But so many people were in the home the next day, it's too bad.

-here's what I'm thinking. Pretty unlikely anybody followed Suzie and Stacy home. Based on the time frame given when they left the party and arrived at Suzie's house, it makes perfect sense so I don't think they stopped anywhere in between the last party and when they went to Janelle's house. Nothing seemed outta the ordinary to anybody at the party and if the abductors wanted either of these girls, there would be much better times to do it. Which means it was directed at Sherrill. Also unlikely this was a random crime. It was somebody Sherrill knew and if that's the case, VERY odd it happened to be on a night when NOBODY was gonna be home except her. I wonder if it was common for Suzie to stay at friends houses or she was out often. It could be coincidental that the grad night was gonna be picked in which Suzie was gonna be outta town or at a friend's house. But if it wasn't, that particular night was planned, then list of suspects really narrows.

One thing that keeps bothering me is, if the attack was planned and only directed at Sherrill, and if it was someone she knew, they would have probably known Suzie was out and would not come home until very late. So why didn't they just get Sherrill when she was home alone? They would have had time with Suzie out at graduation parties. I keep thinking maybe the attack was directed at Sherrill AND Suzie. Maybe whoever did this knew that if they took Sherrill alone, Suzie might be able to point a finger at them and they would be found out. The thought crossed my mind that maybe whoever did this was parked near the home waiting for Suzie to return. Unfortunately, Stacy was with her. I just keep thinking if Sherrill was the lone target, they would have had a perfect opportunity to get her while Suzie was partying. Certainly there would have been enough time and it would have been late enough too where they could have taken Sherrill by herself. It just doesn't make sense to me that they "happened" to get to the house soon after Stacy and Suzie got there. It just keeps sounding like it was planned out in advance and they very well could have been watching.

liz325 said:
One thing that keeps bothering me is, if the attack was planned and only directed at Sherrill, and if it was someone she knew, they would have probably known Suzie was out and would not come home until very late. So why didn't they just get Sherrill when she was home alone? They would have had time with Suzie out at graduation parties. I keep thinking maybe the attack was directed at Sherrill AND Suzie. Maybe whoever did this knew that if they took Sherrill alone, Suzie might be able to point a finger at them and they would be found out. The thought crossed my mind that maybe whoever did this was parked near the home waiting for Suzie to return. Unfortunately, Stacy was with her. I just keep thinking if Sherrill was the lone target, they would have had a perfect opportunity to get her while Suzie was partying. Certainly there would have been enough time and it would have been late enough too where they could have taken Sherrill by herself. It just doesn't make sense to me that they "happened" to get to the house soon after Stacy and Suzie got there. It just keeps sounding like it was planned out in advance and they very well could have been watching.
This makes sense to me. Certainly a possibility. Suzie would obviously be able to point to any number of suspects if Sherill were taken by herself. Certainly Suzie would have been able to identify the individuals in the photos.

It was said in the original reports that Stacy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's probably true.

One final thing I want to point out and then I'm pretty much exhausted on what I recall and what I can contribute. And this goes to the van. The Dodge van was apparently among the "first generation" of modern vans that are so common today for carrying cargo, etc. The question that comes to mind is that it was seen to be as "moss green" in color yet some have suggested it could have been some other color including dark blue as the van was seen in the early hours. The daylight would have come fairly early as the longest day of the year would have been about 6/20/92 when summer came. So the breaking daylight would have been about 5 PM or sooner so in addition to street lamps it would also have been identifiable through natural light.

Let's assume that the van was indeed seen on the night of the abductions and positively identified as "moss green" as shown in the photograph. (BTW, the van was a similar vehicle that was "rescued" from the scrap yard and painted to resemble the actual reported van.)

Let me briefly digress. I am reminded of two movies, "The Day of the Jackel" and "The Jackel." In both movies the vehicles were painted to throw off the the authorities. In the original movie, the vehicle was painted over the original color. In the second movie the van was painted with a water based color that was washed off to the original color.

Here's where I am coming from. In the middle of autumn I did in fact see an identical van but it was not "moss green" but dark blue. This was reported to the police along with the license plate number. I never heard anything further. Subsequently I saw this vehicle again and saw it clearly. It was always dark blue and never "moss green." But this was several months later and if a water based paint was placed on this van it is conceivable that it was painted green for the June abduction. While everyone was chasing a green van, the blue van just drove around and either wouldn't be noticed or it was discounted because it didn't fit the narrative of a "moss green" van.

the cops seemed to put all their time into this green van theory. i've read conflicting reports on the color too and your tip should've been checked, some said moss green, some said dark blue, or brown.

i wonder how credible this woman is who says she saw the green van driven by a blonde who looked like Suzie and she heard a guy say "don't do anything stupid." What did the guy then do once they were in the driveway? Did he go into a home? The cops must've had something to go on there if they believed this woman right? Who lived there? What was their story? The witness was just sitting on her porch when the van pulled up (I think)

Great discussion going here! I've been following it for some time, but felt the need to post now with just a couple things that may or may not be important. This case has fascinated me ever since I did some fundraising work with One Missing Link when I was in school at (Southwest) Missouri State. I hope one day there is a resolution. It absolutely baffles me that three people could just disappear off the face of the earth like this and no one can seem to figure out what happened.

The broken light or fixture bothers me. It just seems out of place with the rest of the scene. Why go to the trouble of tidying up (I had never heard rumors of the bleach found in the drains until it was posted here, but if true it furthers the point) but not clean up the glass from the broken light/fixture? I wonder if one of the women broke it as an indication that things were not as they seemed as they were being ushered out and the perp(s) either did not know or had to make such a hasty get-away that they didn't have time to clean it up. If so, the fact that it was missed as such a clue (though subtle) cost valuable hours early in the case. If not, it leads me to believe that the person or persons responsible didn't do anything to contrive the scene, but merely snatched and grabbed.

Also, if grand jury proceedings were initiated, against whom was evidence presented? I'd assume there would have to be a strong suspicion associated with someone in order to move forward with such things. Was it Cox? Or were there other suspects that the police had that I don't know about?

SupesK6 said:
Great discussion going here! I've been following it for some time, but felt the need to post now with just a couple things that may or may not be important. This case has fascinated me ever since I did some fundraising work with One Missing Link when I was in school at (Southwest) Missouri State. I hope one day there is a resolution. It absolutely baffles me that three people could just disappear off the face of the earth like this and no one can seem to figure out what happened.

The broken light or fixture bothers me. It just seems out of place with the rest of the scene. Why go to the trouble of tidying up (I had never heard rumors of the bleach found in the drains until it was posted here, but if true it furthers the point) but not clean up the glass from the broken light/fixture? I wonder if one of the women broke it as an indication that things were not as they seemed as they were being ushered out and the perp(s) either did not know or had to make such a hasty get-away that they didn't have time to clean it up. If so, the fact that it was missed as such a clue (though subtle) cost valuable hours early in the case. If not, it leads me to believe that the person or persons responsible didn't do anything to contrive the scene, but merely snatched and grabbed.

Also, if grand jury proceedings were initiated, against whom was evidence presented? I'd assume there would have to be a strong suspicion associated with someone in order to move forward with such things. Was it Cox? Or were there other suspects that the police had that I don't know about?
The broken light or fixture was most probably done at the time that the women were being loaded into the back of the van. The debris was later cleaned up by one of the friends and not by the perps. It would follow that they wanted to make a quick "getaway" and didn't want to bother with cleaning it up. Had I been the perp I would simply have grabbed a tire tool out of the van and knocked the light out to obscure the women being loaded into the van. Of course, one might say that they could have reached inside the house and turned off the switch but that would have left a possible fingerprint after the house was scrubbed clean of evidence and they wanted to be gone without further delay. I've never really understood why this is particularly important to the investigation. It seems obvious to me what happened.

The grand jury proceedings: I have no direct knowledge but it is believed that other names were involved. I know of at least one myself who has never been mentioned in any of the stories. There are others as well, 4-5 I would think a conservative estimate. The names are not published because the evidence doesn't exist to get a conviction. However, the biggest detriment to the case is the fact the bodies have never been discovered. If that were somehow to occur, the public clamor to do something would be overwhelming and the logjam would break loose.

I believe that in fact the crime scene was in fact contrived; especially the purses and the state of the bed and clothing. Stacy left the home in her underwear, yet her shorts were laid out neatly on the bed. This was an "organized" professional job.

Missouri Mule said:
However, the biggest detriment to the case is the fact the bodies have never been discovered. If that were somehow to occur, the public clamor to do something would be overwhelming and the logjam would break loose.
We believe this will happen any day now. Stay tuned.

Can anyone think of a reason why DNA hasn't been (or perhaps it has) used to identify the individuals who were in the home that evening? I can't recall that this subject has ever been discussed.

It is said that whenever we are somewhere that we leave a little part of us behind; a strand of hair, skin, whatever. Although DNA was not yet perfected or used back then as it is now, wouldn't it have followed that the home would have been swept clean of any possible ties to the abductors?

While the DNA of the victims is unimportant because they were known to be living there, anyone else other than Bartt (as he once lived there) would have to explain what they were doing in that home. Most could be eliminated quickly such as the friends and other relatives, but if someone like Cox were there he could not explain it. His DNA is on file with the Texas Department of Corrections. And DNA is 100% reliable except in the case of identical twins.

Thoughts? Any DNA experts among the folks here?

Has some further developments come up with the scanning of the parking lot, Ken? Is that the reason you believe the bodies are going to be discovered?

miles_draken said:
Has some further developments come up with the scanning of the parking lot, Ken? Is that the reason you believe the bodies are going to be discovered?
Yes. The approval that we were waiting on came through. I can't say anything more.

Ken said:
Yes. The approval that we were waiting on came through. I can't say anything more.
Do you have any timeframes before they actually do something? Remember that over 14 years have elapsed already. I can't tell you how many times in my working career I've had people promise but not deliver. Hope you're right. If they say 8:00 call them at 8:15. Don't let this be delayed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The silent wheel is ignored. If this doesn't pan out it will be yet another excuse to not do any further investigation.

I hate to be negative but it could be more of the same foot dragging. But I hope that I am wrong. I hope you got this promise from someone high up the food chain. Good luck.

Mule,

you're probably right in that the broken light isn't critical. However when you read a story on this case or a file or whatever it's always mentioned that the broken light shards of glass were swept up and thrown out and the police say that may have included evidence. I don't think there would've been much to go on re: evidence if Janelle and Mike hadn't swept up the glass. There's a possibility but I don't think it's likely they would've gained any important information from the broken glass. Your scenario makes more sense and the idea that they thought the broken glass was critical shows how poor the Springfield, MO Police Department handled this case.

Missouri Mule said:
Do you have any timeframes before they actually do something?
There is one more meeting that has to take place. Sometime next week, we will know the exact date. However, we will not be able to post it.

Ken said:
There is one more meeting that has to take place. Sometime next week, we will know the exact date. However, we will not be able to post it.
Don't let yourself get snookered into further delay. A long time I worked as a collector for a loan company. I was quite successful. I found out that when someone said they would be in to make a payment at 8 AM and wasn't there by 8:15, I was on the the phone to them at their home, their job and three neighbors to deliver messages to their door. They may not have shown up at the appointed time but they were in shortly thereafter. Don't put up with broken promises or you will be given the bum's rush.

Enrique Sparta said:
Mule,

you're probably right in that the broken light isn't critical. However when you read a story on this case or a file or whatever it's always mentioned that the broken light shards of glass were swept up and thrown out and the police say that may have included evidence. I don't think there would've been much to go on re: evidence if Janelle and Mike hadn't swept up the glass. There's a possibility but I don't think it's likely they would've gained any important information from the broken glass. Your scenario makes more sense and the idea that they thought the broken glass was critical shows how poor the Springfield, MO Police Department handled this case.
There are three likely conclusions, based on public information. 1) police incompetence, 3) perfect crime, or 3) complicity.

There are very few unknowns. We know for a certainty the department was overwhelmed with information but if it was not acted on responsibly the crime would not be solved. And was anyone on another's "payroll?"

Follow the money.

Can anyone give me information about the Jackie Johns murder in Christian County Missouri.

rebzzz said:
Can anyone give me information about the Jackie Johns murder in Christian County Missouri.
What do you want to know?

I don't think there is any big mystery about that case. Maybe he is out there looking for the "real killer" like O.J. Simpson is today. Some believed the chief suspect was involved in this case as well. I'm agnostic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix