The Tumbler Posts

In your opinion do you think that EL's Tumblr page is something she would share with her parents? If not, would her Tumblr page be something that her parents or acquaintances could find if they were to Google her email address (without the @____.com) or Instant Message Screen-name?

I don't have an opinion on whether it was something shared with family or not. Others have offered that her family didn't understand her "condition" suggesting that this was an anonymous outlet for her, perhaps like a therapeutic journal. But there may be ways to estimate it. For example, her twitter wasn't anonymous. So if she ever linked a blog post to her twitter account, then her friends and family would know about its existence. If she never linked it, then perhaps she was protecting her blog from her friends and family. --- It looks like her twitter only links to an instagram ...moulesmariniere.

She also made pre-scheduled updates on nouvelle-nouveau that ran consistently to the second week of February. If her mother saw that her blog was being updated, she might not have reported her missing until much later, thinking that she was okay, just negligent. So maybe her mom didn't know about her blog, but that presumes too much.

But could friends (ex-boyfriends), have found it if they stalked her so-to-speak, given that they know her email address -- which is "marinierefields" without the @. Googling for this brings up L.L.'s listography in which she shares her email address in conversation as L.L.: -- In the web-address of the listography is nouvellenouveau, and that of course googles to multiple blog posts and reposts from her blog. So it seems possible imho, that someone could find it if they looked for it and had a small hook of personal information to start with - but this depends on when the listography made it to the google search engine.

Actually she says she lost "a" cellphone nowhere can I find it was a Blackberry she lost that she borrowed from a friend.

You need to look on the right-hand side of the post. She is very precise that it was her friend's Blackberry that she lost.

Take the Tumblr posts with a grain of salt. I'm not saying she's being untruth in her posts but as a few real knowledgeable Tumblr users here on this site have pointed out if you judged them by their Tumblr accounts you'd think they were dark moody sad people when it's actually the opposite of what they are in real life. I think unless you know Elisa Lam personally then to guess as to her mental state based on her Tumblr posts doesn't do her justice.
100% this! When looking at someone's blog, it's important to remember that it's just one aspect of their personalities that they're presenting.

As an example: I have one Tumblr blog that is exclusively a place for me to rant and cheer about my struggles with chronic illness. Now, I live a pretty normal life, but sometimes I get frustrated with my illnesses, and a I need a safe space (with followers who also have these illnesses and understand) to rant about the unique aspects of dealing with them. If a person were to see that blog with no other context, they'd think I was constantly in agony and frustrated with my illness, to the point where I'm sure that if I were to die suspiciously and the blog was the only clue, a few people might leap to the conclusion that I had given in and ended it...when I'm actually a fighter who would never in a million years end it all early. I just need a place to vent when things are tough.

I think EL's posts about mental health are much the same way. And given how relatively infrequently EL posts about her struggles with mental health (yeah, there are a lot of posts, but over the span of months/years, not days), I'd actually assume it had come reasonably under control...I have a lot of online friends who are struggling with suicidal ideation and the like, and their blogs are a steady stream of dark imagery and thoughts. EL's Tumblr, to me, shows someone who is dealing with some tough things, but has a lot of hope. That's why I find it such a sad place to visit after her death... :(

I havn't read these, but I intend to in a moment, I just wanted to agree with the above posters. When I was her age if you had read my livejournal or myspace or diary or angelfire website and something like this would have happened, people would have absolutely without a shadow of a doubt believed I had done this to myself.

Fact is... I never would!

These places are forums in which to vent, and unfortunately when people vent it isn't always pretty, and it isn't always stuff we tell everyone... the anonymous internet has replaced the anonymous diary, the stuff that goes in there isn't always pretty :waitasec:

Take the Tumblr posts with a grain of salt. I'm not saying she's being untruth in her posts but as a few real knowledgeable Tumblr users here on this site have pointed out if you judged them by their Tumblr accounts you'd think they were dark moody sad people when it's actually the opposite of what they are in real life. I think unless you know Elisa Lam personally then to guess as to her mental state based on her Tumblr posts doesn't do her justice.

100% this! When looking at someone's blog, it's important to remember that it's just one aspect of their personalities that they're presenting.

I havn't read these, but I intend to in a moment, I just wanted to agree with the above posters. When I was her age if you had read my livejournal or myspace or diary or angelfire website and something like this would have happened, people would have absolutely without a shadow of a doubt believed I had done this to myself.

Fact is... I never would!

I couldn't disagree more. You guys have this perception of how people view their own social media sites, but like everything else in life.. isn't it subjective?

When I first heard about this case late feb, I spent hours reading up on things. During this time I also looked through a good amount of her tumblr, I found a number of post indicating how much she loved tumblr. I didn't characterize her as a bipolar, depressed girl after looking through her tumblr. I saw a normal, fashion loving girl.. Who seemed to have an interest in traveling. In my opinion, EL's tumblr is the epitome of what she was about.

EL reblogged this song last year.. Rest In Paradise.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcDSe_hSbY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcDSe_hSbY[/ame]

When I first heard about this case late feb, I spent hours reading up on things. During this time I also looked through a good amount of her tumblr, I found a number of post indicating how much she loved tumblr. I didn't characterize her as a bipolar, depressed girl after looking through her tumblr. I saw a normal, fashion loving girl.. Who seemed to have an interest in traveling. In my opinion, EL's tumblr is the epitome of what she was about.

The power of suggestion is funny. I first read a bit of her Tumblr before I knew of any mental health conditions or meds, and I saw her much as you did. When I began to pay more attention to the posts here on bipolar, when I next looked at her writing I noticed "hypomanic" vs. "depressive" writing. Yet, EL's writing was no different, but my perception of her writing was different.

That being said...I have some questions. EL seemed to be hoping to socialize while on vacation with "meet-ups". Did this mean meeting with online friends or via meetup.com? Has anyone searched for a profile there?

sugarpooper, I think you're actually on the same page as the folks saying to take the Tumblr with a grain of salt. Personally, I was commenting on people reading too much into her posts with sort of a confirmation bias angle...a good example is a single reblog of the picture that had rooftops in it, and people trying to draw a connection to the Cecil roof. When really, it was probably something that caught a passing fancy. I mean, I just reblogged a picture of a lake on my blog, but if I were to drown in a lake three weeks from now, there wouldn't be any connection whatsoever.

There's a long history in these threads of people trying to paint her as severely depressed and trying to use the occasional post on her Tumblr as evidence that she was suicidal or whatever, and I don't see that at all. So, my insistence that the Tumblr be taken with a grain of salt is directed after I was constantly trying to say, in all these other threads, that Elisa's Tumblr does not show evidence that she was suicidal.

I 100% agree that her Tumblr seems perfectly normal, and that's part of why I find it so sad to read now...I honestly think I could have been friends with this girl. She seems like she was intelligent and creative, and it's such a shame that she's gone. :(

The Tumblr can really be a red herring if people are trying to read too much depth into something that shouldn't be read with depth. We can learn more about her from the overall vibe, but trying to analyse little nitpicky details is where we start to steer away from the evidence. :)

are'nt these autoblogs based on tags. should'nt this thread be closed?

Well, I’m still thinking she just occasionally queued things well ahead of time with manual dates. I have a few things sitting in my queue with random dates, myself. To echo neo, the tag is one she’s used before, and it’s highly unlikely anyone else would have entered it.

Can't find it now, but does anyone else recall the earlier discussion about EL possibly using sign language? Anyway, wasn't top of the list in my books, but wondering if someone else can remember the 3 words that someone came up with. I remember "computer" and "friend", but not the third word.

She had her email addy on the tumblr account, so am just toying with email spoofing where somebody fooled her into thinking she was meeting a friend.

Can't find it now, but does anyone else recall the earlier discussion about EL possibly using sign language? Anyway, wasn't top of the list in my books, but wondering if someone else can remember the 3 words that someone came up with. I remember "computer" and "friend", but not the third word.

She had her email addy on the tumblr account, so am just toying with email spoofing where somebody fooled her into thinking she was meeting a friend.

her e-mail addy is there? I missed that, easy I suppose having never spent time on Tumblr until recently...

her e-mail addy is there? I missed that, easy I suppose having never spent time on Tumblr until recently...

If you go into "ETC", then in the lower left, click on "listography", it brings up a bunch of lists, each list with dates in the lower right and to the left "comments". The ONLY comments ever made were on her list called "Books (to feel intellectully superior)". Click on the "11 comments" which are a convo between her and one other person last August. At the very end, she gives her email addy to that person:

Oh heck ... after all that ;)

http://listography.com/nouvellenouveau/books/to_feel_intellectually_superior

If you go into "ETC", then in the lower left, click on "listography", it brings up a bunch of lists, each list with dates in the lower right and to the left "comments". The ONLY comments ever made were on her list called "Books (to feel intellectully superior)". Click on the "11 comments" which are a convo between her and one other person last August. At the very end, she gives her email addy to that person:

Oh heck ... after all that ;)

http://listography.com/nouvellenouveau/books/to_feel_intellectually_superior

oh ok I looked all over tumblr... I was starting to feel incompetent... haha

The posts are all about books. User mentions liking to frequent book shops often to Elisa.

Interesting Elisa is seen in a book shop buying a book the day of her disappearance.

She mentioned somewhere having purchased 50 lbs of books and how to get them home.

It's so strange because her interests and temperament are almost identical to mine. Look at her is like looking in a mirror!

She mentioned somewhere having purchased 50 lbs of books and how to get them home.

It's so strange because her interests and temperament are almost identical to mine. Look at her is like looking in a mirror!

Yes :( What a creative and special young woman she was. I'm so glad she wrote down her thoughts/blogs so she could be remembered as such.

I love your avatar btw

Thank you! I love yours too. Cute dog!

I too am glad her posts are still up & undisturbed. I guess because she was the victim. In cases where it's a suspect (like a mass shooter)... online posts/accounts are often taken down or set to private.

I just cannot read Elisa's tumblr. I have to highlight words to even see them.

Anyway, I have become confused on an important point since a couple of other girls have been discussed for example Tina Hoang. One of the girls or someone had been raped a few years ago. Was this Elisa discussing it on her site or was that a totally different girl either she or someone else was talking about? I have the impression it was NOT Elisa, but I have a new theory and this is an important part of it.

But, I have become confused because me and Tumblr are not friends. Elisa's isn't the first one I haven't been able to work. Thank you to anyone who can help.

I just cannot read Elisa's tumblr. I have to highlight words to even see them.

Anyway, I have become confused on an important point since a couple of other girls have been discussed for example Tina Hoang. One of the girls or someone had been raped a few years ago. Was this Elisa discussing it on her site or was that a totally different girl either she or someone else was talking about? I have the impression it was NOT Elisa, but I have a new theory and this is an important part of it.

But, I have become confused because me and Tumblr are not friends. Elisa's isn't the first one I haven't been able to work. Thank you to anyone who can help.

I have to highlight the words too -- I thought maybe she did that purposefully; changing the font to where, if you really wanted to read her words, you'd have to highlight them. Perhaps I'm wrong; I don't know much about Tumblr either.

There's one image on her blog that really haunts me. It shows the image of 2 people swimming juxtaposed over an aerial view of a city. Link: http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/40452041936/justbesplendid-british-banking-giant-hsbc-did-a

It's hard to read her tumblr. She seemed like such an intelligent, creative, cultured person -- at such a young age on top of it. I suppose it's less heartbreaking for me to think this whole thing was somewhat of an accident or suicide than it is to believe she was murdered. I don't mean to imply that my theory is right; I'm just saying, it's less heartbreaking to think that she left on her own terms.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back