"The View" New Co-Host

izzyB said:
this is the key to this whole thing. rosie will not do well as part of this ensemble cast. i don't give it more than a year before someone walks off the show.
I am thinking more in the lines of six months!:p

I don't mind Rosie, but Meredith was the voice of reason and that's not Rosie! :hand:

Rosie's personality seems way too overpowering to be part of a "team." If the young one, Elizabeth?, is still there, I surely feel sorry for her. Rosie does not seem tolerant of opposing points of view...

BRAVO! I feel the same way about Ellen. I loved her show as well and then she ruined it after she came out! She has made a comeback now and I'm glad because she really is funny.

Rosie did go a little nuts after her show. I don't think she became disliked because she "came out". I think people started to dislike her because of things she did and said after she came out. Her life really did take a turn after that. Giving up her show, being sued and ending her magazine. Then she did that raunchy broadway show that never took off.
I hope she does well on the view and resparks her career in a positive way.

As Rosie joins, Star may take a dim 'View'

Snips:

However, it begs the question of whether there's enough room on that famous couch for Rosie and her nemesis Star.

As we've told you, O'Donnell has been a fierce critic of Jones' spin on her weight loss.

"Star says she's lost that weight through diet and exercise," O'Donnell said last March, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, I'd like to see that b- do a pushup."

And just last month, on her rosie.com blog, the lesbian comic wrote a poem about the incredible shrinking Star:

"Star jones had weight loss surgery/ she had part of her stomach bypassed/ that is how she lost 1/2 herself," O'Donnell wrote. "she refuses to say this/ which is her right/ but we do not have to pretend/ we do not know."

"so star shrinks b4 our eyes/ we know the truth/ but nod as she talks about/ pilates and will power," she added. "i am sure star jones/ beneath the beyonce bravado/ is a scared lil girl/ who grew her body big/ strong and safe." (More at link)

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/412863p-349092c.html

Rosie Outlook for "The View"

Snips:

O'Donnell will presumably start her new job in September, the same month Couric and Vieira are to start their new jobs.

O'Donnell is a "fat 43-year-old menopausal ex-talk show host," according to her somewhat-inaccurate blog bio. (She's actually 44.) She is better known as a stand-up comic turned character actress (Sleepless in Seattle, A League of Their Own) turned daytime TV queen.

From 1996 to 2002, as the Broadway-boosting, Tom Cruise-crushing star of The Rosie O'Donnell Show, O'Donnell won six Daytime Emmys as Outstanding Talk Host. In the late 1990s, Newsweek dubbed her the Queen of Nice for being a bright light in a murky sea of Sally Jessy Raphaels, Geraldos and Jerry Springers. (More at link)

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18911,00.html

rosie is an ex home coming queen as well..she has an interesting life..and lots of opinions..I like her. I think she means well and does lots of good tings.
I dont think ellen rammed the gay thing down anyones throat..she simply had a coming out series..if she is ramming gay down anyone throat..then the straight world is ramming down the worlds throat..its everywhere and noone seems to mind..
there is not one damn thing ellen did on her show at that time that isnt in every straight sitcom - god - u would think she comitted murder - she simply had a girlfriedn on her show and acted it out like any one would if they had a boyfriend on a show in the same context..
If thats ramming the lesbian thing down a throat what do u call the rest of the shows..heterosexism..
Ellen did a tremendous service to gays and transformed tv as we knew it- now u cant watch any show without a gay person being "rammed" down your throat..she used her personal courage to come out- everyone else did the rest..she didnt ask to be the poster girl for gay women..the media made her that..
She wasnt on a campaing to be the next pied pier of lesbianism..it happened..and then she paid a price she didnt deserve..and she came back cuz she is that talented...and she got rid of ann hech . Thats when she came back.

I really like Ellen and think that she is naturally quite funny. :) That being said, I used to watch her "Ellen" show years ago and thought it was really funny! Then, it went all about being gay and was no longer funny. It really was disappointing as I really liked all of the characters. IMO, the show was canceled because it was no longer funny, not because Ellen came out of the closet. Most people "knew" that Ellen was gay long before it became public, and most people didn't care.

In any case, I am glad that she has her own talk show. She does quite well with this format as well. As always, I find her extremely humorous and love her dancing!! :dance:

Rosie being a comedian uses anyone she can to make people laugh. She can be quite hilarious.....she also has done alot of good things.

As for her lifestyle or anyone elses thats their business. She made the choice to come out! So deal with it......sometimes the public isn't as forgiving as the stars want us to be.I seriously don't think its because we care / its just do your own thing & keep your business to yourself.

I quit watching Rosie because I thought she was overbearing & it was her way or no way. I actually liked The View & will watch the first wk to see how she fits in. The gals on there now are nice & tasteful can't imagine Rosie on it.

Rosie’s Contract: She Can’t Cut Her Hair

Snips:

Rosie O’Donnell’s new mega contract with ABC has one absolute provision: the former talk show queen cannot cut her hair.

And what about that table? O’Donnell tells me she will more than likely not sit at the far left, taking Meredith Vieira’s old chair. When “The View” returns in September from August reruns, the stage will likely be redesigned so Rosie is sitting in the middle.

“And there’ll be a curtain on that table,” O’Donnell quipped.

You may wonder when and how this arrangement with "The View" came about. I was not surprised to be told that it all occurred on the night that HBO screened Rosie and her partner Kelli’s documentary about their gay family cruise line about a month ago. I distinctly recall Barbara Walters coming out of the screening room, wiping tears from her eyes. It was quite obvious as the mother of an adopted daughter, she was incredibly moved.

Apparently, on the spot Walters asked O’Donnell if she’d be interested in taking Vieira’s job should the latter bolt for the Today Show. Rosie didn’t believe it, and responded, “Sure. Call me.”

And that’s what Walters did the minute she knew for certain that Vieira was leaving "The View." It was a smart choice, because O’Donnell’s empathy and sincerity radiate from the television set. At the same time, she doesn’t suffer fools gladly. If nothing else, “The View” will become appointment television, edgy and worth watching—particularly if O’Donnell and Hasselbeck, who has identified herself as right wing—tangle on issues involving gay parenting, adoption, abortion, etc. (Long article, more at link)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193668,00.html

Jean said:
Rosie’s Contract: She Can’t Cut Her Hair
Ahh, guess no more shaving off half of her hair on one side then huh?

Maybe they should include her not walking and looking like a Bull Dog when she's out in public coming toward the press.

I watch very little T.V. during the daytime, but I make an excetion with "The View"most mornings, but that may be short lived come September unless I get to see her sit in the middle and get :slap: from both sides when she opens her BIG, rude and 'all-knowing' mouth.

Like someone else posted earlier, I heard there won't be a lot of love lost between Rosie and Star Jones. IMO, I'm not big on either of them. Loved Rosie years ago when she was a comedienne (sp?), but now I just find her hard to take. Too brash or something.

I'm really surprised. I don't like her at all. Her attitude really got out of line IMO awhile back when her show ended and she made all that flap about her magazine. Primadonna. Seems difficul to work with. Just my opinion.

blueclouds said:
Obviously Barbara Walters feels she's the right choice. The View is Barb's creation and she has final say.
Hi Blueclouds,
Barbara "cat clawed" Diane Sawyer over Rosie in 2002:

Feb 20, 2002, 2:15 PM PT

[font=verdana,helvetica]And now for today's Rosie O'Donnell sexuality update: (1) still gay; (2) Barbara Walters and Diane Sawyer no longer fighting over her.

See, while you and the rest of your 21st century compatriots may not think it's big news that Rosie O'Donnell is gay, 'cause you: (1) don't care; (2) already knew; (3) all of the above--Barbara Walters and Diane Sawyer do think it's big news.

Now the two ABC News mavens are in damage-control mode after it appeared they'd tangled over who would land the interview in which O'Donnell finally comes out publicly.

ABC announced last week that Sawyer got the coveted one-on-one (what the New York Post is fond of calling the "Gay Rosie Interview")--but it was Walters who became the first network newsie to refer to Rosie as gay last week on her ABC morning talk show, The View.

the link

I think that Babs is making a bad choice in choosing Rosie to be her "right hand lady" to moderate the show.News reports said that Rosie said that it was either "The View or "Celebrity Fit Club".

[/font]

I definitely think it will be the chemistry between Star and Rosie that will blow one of them off the set come September. Personally, I hope it's Star that leaves because that girl's personality has hit the skids since she lost weight and married that loser. I'd tune in just to see Rosie intimidate the hell out of Star. Star acts like nobody can get through to her but IMO, underneath that act she's terrified of anything and everything.

I liked Rosie, but ever since the whole Gun Issue and how she got really rude with people on it, I think I have seen enough of her. I did cave and watch the Family Vacation/Cruise thing on HBO about Gay Families....

It wasn't quite the secret that Walters wanted, since word of O'Donnell's selection leaked out on Thursday. O'Donnell made a joking reference to that, noting she had read about her and Walters on the Internet.

About her new job, she joked, "it was either that or the celebrity fit club."

The move marks a plunge back into daytime television for O'Donnell. With a large resume that includes stage, film and TV work, it's the place where she found the greatest success. She won six Daytime Emmys in six years as best talk show host before shutting down her show because she wanted to spend more time raising a family.

O'Donnell also was disgruntled toward the end of her TV run.

"I agree, I was cranky for a while," she said backstage, joking, "Oh, honey, I can just say even though Tom Cruise doesn't believe in them, antidepressants do work."

O'Donnell explained that money and fame didn't provide the magic wand that she thought would fix the world's problems.

"It was overwhelmingly sad," she said, adding that the Columbine school shootings in 1999 left her "spiritually defeated and deflated."

"I needed to refuel myself," she said. "It was my four-year celebrity detox."

Some of those Emmy victories were against her new partners at "The View," which has made a joke out of an Emmys losing streak that was extended Friday when Ellen DeGeneres won best talk show host.

With two comics in Behar and O'Donnell, "The View" will likely turn into a funnier show, he said.

The danger is, between Behar, O'Donnell and Reynolds, "the three of them will want to talk at the same time."

O'Donnell addressed the rumored tension between herself and Jones Reynolds.

"She and I have traded barbs on `The View' for as long as they've been on the air," O'Donnell said. "She will go toe-to-toe with me and that's what makes the show exciting and fun. I look forward to arguing with her starting in September."

story

michelle said:
I liked Rosie, but ever since the whole Gun Issue and how she got really rude with people on it, I think I have seen enough of her. I did cave and watch the Family Vacation/Cruise thing on HBO about Gay Families....

That documentary was great. If gay couples want to adopt kids, and give them a loving, stable homelife, that seemingly no one else wants to adopt, then they should be allowed to IMO. The kids on that show seemed as happy and well-adjusted as kids whose parents are heterosexual.

I also think gay couples should be allowed to have the same benefits/rights as hetero couples.

DS, I love your perspective on things. I also like Rosie. She will be fine. I also like Ellen's humor. I am not gay but I appreciate the fact that alternatives are there for people and that we all make choices. Just the fact that choices are available is huge.The biggest difference is how hard our hearts will go when we have to make hard choices. When we see crime and when we see injustice. The time to stand up or sit down. Respect human rights is always a forefront but sometimes the line is grey. Just inner struggle for me right now.

"She and I have traded barbs on `The View´ for as long as they´ve been on the air," O´Donnell said. "She will go toe-to-toe with me and that´s what makes the show exciting and fun. I look forward to arguing with her starting in September."

That's the problem.
It will become the Star and Rosie Show,bickering between two very head strong people. It will get old real fast. That's not entertainment,at least not for me. It will be like the Jerry Springer show without the fist fights.... and I hate the Jerry Springer show.

shopper said:
That documentary was great. If gay couples want to adopt kids, and give them a loving, stable homelife, that seemingly no one else wants to adopt, then they should be allowed to IMO. The kids on that show seemed as happy and well-adjusted as kids whose parents are heterosexual.

I also think gay couples should be allowed to have the same benefits/rights as hetero couples.
I felt bad for the kids when they got off at the one port where people were yelling and telling them they were not welcome, I mean how scary for a child. I may not agree with the "gay" lifestyle, but I keep it too myself and would NEVER frighten a child or yell and scare them. My cousin is gay and I love her just the same as my other ones that are not. I felt really sad for them when that happened....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back