The winding up of Jerry Driver

Best I can tell, the only people present when Jones said the thing in question were Jones, and some police officers. And the quote seems to have been brought to light first by Mara Levitt, who I am assuming didn't just pull it out of her backside (to give her a bit of credit as a journo) - so perhaps the answer there is to dig about for any solid sort of attribution and, failing that, shoot Ms Levitt an email and ask her what her source was. So that's on the to-do list.

Another thing to fact-check is whether the police were already being investigated for corruption at the time of the murders, which might explain a certain level of reluctance to seek outside help..

The spinners, on both sides of the bunfight, make gathering facts exceedingly difficult.

Jones has at least, now, admitted that it was a stitch up. He also left town, but I am not sure how soon after the case, and moved to another state. Like Gitchell he has never tried to cash in on his involvement.

When did jones say this? Is there a link? I hadn't heard that before, but I'm interested to read more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the quote seems to have been brought to light first by Mara Levitt, who I am assuming didn't just pull it out of her backside (to give her a bit of credit as a journo)
Do you not realize that some journalists pull a lot of things out of their backsides, or do you have some other reason for parroting Levitt's rumor as if it were fact?

As for Echols, he was pulled in for questioning on the 7th, and was interviewed again on the 9th and again on the 10th (IIRC) - so it does appear he was in direct line of police sights from the get-go. Which backs up the whole Jones and Driver pushing him as a suspect thing.

And I find very weird the 'evolution' of Aaron Hutcheson's stories.. from a black man with yellow teeth on the 10th, to Satanic Hispanics, to helping Jessie mutilate the boys.. I have to wonder how much the cultish beliefs of Jerry and co played into that.. (but that's another topic, I think)

Now, before anyone puts words in my mouth, I must say here that I'm not suggesting there were not plenty of --other-- reasons for Echols to be a suspect. But all of this WAS very likely a part of why he was zero'd in on so fast, and I'd really like to explore that.

Do you not realize that some journalists pull a lot of things out of their backsides, or do you have some other reason for parroting Levitt's rumor as if it were fact?
Oh my gawds. Read what I said. The -whole- sentence.

I've read all of what you said and I'm still left wondering why you parroted Levitt's rumor as if it were fact, and now I'm also wondering where you got the notion that Echols "was pulled in for questioning on the 7th" as the closest thing to documentation I've seen suggests Jones and Sudsbury simply stopped by his house to question him rather than pulling him in.

On the day after the bodies of the three boys were found I had a conversation with Steve Jones, a Juvenile Officer for Crittenden County, Arkansas. In our conversation I found that Steve and I shared the same opinion that the murders appeared to have overtones of a cult sacrifice. During our conversation Steve mentioned that of all the people known by him to be involved in cult type activities one person stood out in his mind, that in his opinion, was capable of being involved in this type of crime. That person was Damien Echols.

(from Sudbury's notes)

So from Sudbury himself, it seems as early as the 7th Jones is convincing police that the crime was satanic and pointing squarely at Echols --for that reason-- (and so they dashed round there the same day and pulled him OUT -- rather than IN--- all these ins and outs, how they do my head in. or out..anyway....). I am wondering if the creekside comment attributed to Jones the 6th stems from this, but really, it's not a stretch from what he said on the 7th. Perhaps Ms Levitt will help clear that up, if she deigns to reply.

Best I've been able to tell that quote is a fabrication, and the claim of tunnel vision is an obvious fabrication evidenced by the dozens of people who were investigated as potential suspects, the pulled hair samples from many other people both before and after Echols throughout Lisa Sakevicius's June 29 Report being one notable example of that.

You're right Kyleb. When I hear claims that Echols was the only one considered I know better because I have actually seen documents at Callahans indicating who those people were that detectives interviewed, hair samples, polygraphs done, etc. I think it was Misskelley who first implicated Echols and Baldwin. The three were not arrested until like a month afterwards too.

Another thing to fact-check is whether the police were already being investigated for corruption at the time of the murders, which might explain a certain level of reluctance to seek outside help.
The CCDTF was at the time. By the FBI. And many of the DTF were involved in this case.

I am sure that Mara Leveritt (note spelling) would have added a note about her source for that comment / information.

To the best of my knowledge she does not post on message boards - never has!

The wmpd also declined the help of the state troopers as offered by the Governor. Very protective of their 'patch' !

They also did consider other people at the start and also were nt sure if they had a crime scen or a dump site. Even turtle predation came up as a possibility I seem to remember!

What is the source of the family connection between Gitchell and Jones?

So from Sudbury himself, it seems as early as the 7th Jones is convincing police that the crime was satanic and pointing squarely at Echols
There's a big difference between Jones suggesting Echols was the one person "known by him to be involved in cult type activities one person stood out in his mind, that in his opinion, was capable of being involved in this type of crime" and claiming "Echols had finally killed somebody". There's also plenty of other people with occult beliefs who were investigated, including "King David" Samuel Beasley and Sir Mikeal Williams who were also fist questioned on May 7, as were a variety of other potential suspects with no occult intrest. To argue otherwise demonstrates extreme tunnel vision.

I think it was Misskelley who first implicated Echols and Baldwin.
Well Narlene Hollingsworth reported Echols near the murder scene a few days after the murders which warranted further investigation of him, and William Winford Jones came forward saying Echols confessed to him a little over a week before Misskelley confessed, but yeah Baldwin wasn't implicated until Misskelley did so on the day they were arrested.

The CCDTF was at the time. By the FBI. And many of the DTF were involved in this case.

I am sure that Mara Leveritt (note spelling) would have added a note about her source for that comment / information.

To the best of my knowledge she does not post on message boards - never has!

The wmpd also declined the help of the state troopers as offered by the Governor. Very protective of their 'patch' !

They also did consider other people at the start and also were nt sure if they had a crime scen or a dump site. Even turtle predation came up as a possibility I seem to remember!

What is the source of the family connection between Gitchell and Jones?

Thanks for the info.

I didn't mention 'boards', I said I'd attempt an email and hope for a reply, so we have the source verbatim.

I am shuffling through my browser history for the link, re Gitchell. It's another thing I've seen in passing now and then that I agree needs verifying in some solid way. When I find the link, I will post it.

Yes, they did consider other people, hobos, local weirdos and pedos, there's records on that. But May 7, the day after discovery, Echols' name comes up in context with Jones and Driver's occult theory, according to Sudbury's notes. So, quite early on.

A teensy bit OT, but years after the crime, here's Jones backpedalling hard on his involvement re satanic panic and Driver, despite that he was clearly right up in it (the Sudbury report, the underpass knife, etc).. He's also quite a supporter of Baldwin in this.

Tom Quinn Declaration
Rule 37 Hearing
Jason Baldwin
Jessie Misskelley

ADD1-1361_Part49.pdf

8. In addition to the work summarized above, I made personal contact with Steve Jones, identified to me as a former Crittenden County Juvenile Probation Officer, whose direct supervisor was Jerry Driver. The in-person interview occurred at his residence on Charles Street in Rockdale, Texas. During the course of my contacts with Mr. Jones and members of his family, I acquired several phone numbers, email addresses, as well as Mr. Jones' date of birth and social security number.

9. Mr. Jones and I spoke in person, and I prepared a set of typewritten notes of my interview with him. In the aftermath of my contacts with him, with the assistance of counsel, a drat affidavit was prepared. Mr. Jones relocated after my 2005 interview him.

10. during my interview of him, Jones informed me that I was the first investigator who had talked to him since the completion of the trials in this case. During the course of our interview, Mr. Jones became highly emotional, and began to cry. His wife comforted him until he was able to regain his composure.

11. According to Mr. Jones, Jason Baldwin was no longer on probation at the time of the killings. Probation Officer Steve Jones had been Baldwin's supervising probation officer prior to that time. Accordings to Jones, he had no problems with Jason Baldwin on probation. He had not known Jason to be angry, violent, or to have ever lied to him. According to what Mr. Jones told me, he had no clue, and did not know of evidence, that Jason was connected to the three victims who were killed. Mr. Jones told me that he never understood how a jury could have convicted Jason Baldwin.

12. According to Steve Jones, both before and after the killings occurred in May, 1993, the Juvenile Division Probation Office was getting calls about "satanic stuff" occurring in the County. Mr. Jones told me that Damien Echols' name was on the top of the list of those discussed in the calls. Jones indicated that one of the calls had come from Bo Henry, and that other calls had come from parents in Lakeshore Trailer Park.

13. He stated that he was aware that Jason Baldwin was reported t have been seen in Damien Echols' company.

14. Mr. Jones reported to me that he was present when the bodies of the three boys were found. He had noticed a piece of clothing in the water and had called West Memphis Police Officer Mike Allen who was searching. Mr. Jones told me that he and Mr. Allen were on the north side of the drainage ditch in which the bodies were found. Officer Allen was bending over the ditch and slipped and fell into the water, and as he got up, one of the dead children was laying across his leg. Mr. Jones told me that this image has stuck with him since that time.

15. Mr. Jones told me that he believed that Jason Baldwin had been on his case load in 1992 or thereabouts. He told me that he met with Jason more than a dozen times, sometimes at Jones' office in Marion, and at other times in Lakeshore. Jones told me that he had met Jason Baldwin's mother and his brother Matthew.

16. Mr. Jones told me that in his view Jason Baldwin was the sort of non-violent kid who would go off probation and you would never see him again. Jason did not have an attitude problem. His attitude was that he had messed up once and he would not do it again. Baldwin always reported to the probation officer whenever Mr. Jones wanted him there. Mr. Jones always found Jason Baldwin either at Jason's home in Lakeshore or at Jason's school on the occasions that Jones visited Baldwin.

17. Mr. Jones told me that it was his opinion that his boss Jerry Driver had wanted to play a public role, for which he could be credited, in the context of the case. According jones, it was Jerry Driver who pushed the satanic angle in the case.

18. Mr. Jones had stated that there were on occasion reports of animals in the Crittenden County area being mutilated during satanic rituals. He remember one occasion on which he went out to investigate the report from Bo Henry of a dog that had been slain in this context, and Jones told me that he saw the remains of the dog which had obviously been run over by a car or truck on the Interstate.

19. Jones told me that he never found any evidence of ritualized killings of animals or evidence of satanic activity.

20. Mr. Jones told me that while he participated in some of the investigation that was used on Damien Echols, including conducting an interview with Damien Echols with Lt. Jim Sudbury of the West Memphis Police Department, it was Jerry driver, rather than Steve Jones, who was the most focused on Damien Echols. Mr. Driver believed that because Damien Echols was always wearing black, and rumors were that his parents in Oregon were involved in satanism, anyone associated with Damien was involved in satanism.

21. I reviewed with Mr. Jones some of the descriptions of the investigation of the case contained books on it including Blood of Innocents and The Devil's Knot.

22.. Mr. Jones told me that at no time did any of the defense lawyers for Jason Baldwin contact him or interview him in connection with the case. He explained to me that while Jason Baldwin was in the Juvenile Detention Unit in Jonesboro, Arkansas, he (Jones) had traveled there and met with Jason Baldwin. Jones told me that he told Baldwin that he did not believe that Baldwin was guilty, and he also stated that he had offered his assistance.

23. Mr. Jones told me that he believed Jason Baldwin was innocent, and that if Jason Baldwin ever got out of prison he would have no problem inviting Jason into his family's home and asking him to look after Jones's ten year old son. Such was the strength of his belief in Baldwin's innocence.

24. In part because of the content of my interview with Mr. Jones, and the urging of attorney John Philipsborn, I sought on several occasions to meet again with Mr. Jones. While he agreed to sign an affidavit Mr. Jones never thereafter returned my calls.

5. I am informed and believe that even after I attempted to secure an affidavit from Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones consented to an interview with another Investigator, this one from Ron Lax's office, who was also able to interview Mr. Jones.

I declare under enalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct except as to those matters alleed on information and belief, and as to those matters I believe this declaration to be true and accurate.

Executed the 27th day of May, 2008, at Fresno, California
Thomas E. Quinn

Well Narlene Hollingsworth reported Echols near the murder scene a few days after the murders which warranted further investigation of him, and William Winford Jones came forward saying Echols confessed to him a little over a week before Misskelley confessed, but yeah Baldwin wasn't implicated until Misskelley did so on the day they were arrested.

You're right about Narlene. It might just be me, but each time I go to Callahans and start digging through all the documents I see something new that I never noticed before.

It was interesting what she said about that 'box'. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/narleneh_statement.html

And then the statement by Charlotte Bly about the bloody tennis shoes Misskelley gave to Buddy Lucas.

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/c_bly_interview.html

Just another point of interest, here's the "tombstone" drawing that Driver claimed depicted Echols' desire to sacrifice a baby to Satan:

http://www.jivepuppi.com/images/4tombstone_drawing.JPG

Seems Echols couldn't get his pentagrams up (or .. down) the right way... :facepalm:

...or Driver wouldn't recognise a Satanist if one up and bit him

The little love heart on the rattle is a nice touch.

So is Deanna Holcombe's signature at the bottom of the drawing. If Driver wanted to use a picture to prove something against Damien, he should have chosen one that the actual artist didn't put her signature to, at least.

Mara Leveritt (note spelling)

.. one of those brain spazz things.. and I have her book right here in front of me. :facepalm:

Speaking of which, having read the entire thing over again AND done word searches on the pdf copy just in case, she actually doesn't mention the "Echols finally killed someone" quote in her book at all, so the wikipedia attribution of that statement is WRONG.

AND I found this, on Greg Day's website:

It was Driver’s subordinate, Steve Jones, who was on hand at the crime scene to indict Damien when Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers, and Michael Moore were pulled out of the drainage ditch—“Looks like Damien has finally killed someone,” he said.

(This statement is attributed to Jones in Blood of Innocents, the 1995 book by journalists Guy Reel, Marc Perrusquia and Bartholomew Sullivan. Steve Jones was at the crime scene, and according to the authors, Jones told others that his fears had come true: Damien Echols had finally killed someone. This statement has been widely circulated on the Internet and among case watchers but cannot be verified. E-mails to two of the book’s authors to determine the source of the remarks remain unanswered.

..so it seems this comment might just be (no wetting of the pants, now, kids) apocryphal after all. At least I know who to email, though if they wouldn't reply to Mr. Day, I think I have fat chance of learning anything more about a possible source...

Is it -that- important? Not really, in the bigger picture. But it's just fricken ANNOYING how much BS is bandied about, on all sides. And I like to know what's what. I'm not scared of being wrong.

So it seems, based on what I have, that Echols was first mentioned as a person of interest on the 7th, and first interviewed that same day, for the reason that Steve Jones thought he was into satanic ritual (as attributed in an earlier post).

I will reiterate here - the satanic angle to the investigation and initial trial was just BS hysteria, but it did play a role in the proceedings. I'm just looking here at --how much-- of a role, and why, and how much Echols might have contributed to this perception by egging Driver's religious paranoia on.

So is Deanna Holcombe's signature at the bottom of the drawing. If Driver wanted to use a picture to prove something against Damien, he should have chosen one that the actual artist didn't put her signature to, at least.

OOh, good spot.

The drawing was apparently confiscated (Driver says "we" confiscated it, so he was there?) from Damiens' room long before the murders. Probably a gift from Deanna, or maybe just left there.

Nothing to do with Domini..

As for Echols, he was pulled in for questioning on the 7th, and was interviewed again on the 9th and again on the 10th (IIRC) - so it does appear he was in direct line of police sights from the get-go. Which backs up the whole Jones and Driver pushing him as a suspect thing.

And I find very weird the 'evolution' of Aaron Hutcheson's stories.. from a black man with yellow teeth on the 10th, to Satanic Hispanics, to helping Jessie mutilate the boys.. I have to wonder how much the cultish beliefs of Jerry and co played into that.. (but that's another topic, I think)

Now, before anyone puts words in my mouth, I must say here that I'm not suggesting there were not plenty of --other-- reasons for Echols to be a suspect. But all of this WAS very likely a part of why he was zero'd in on so fast, and I'd really like to explore that.

For me, the following note summarizes the this case so well. The day after the boys were found and, without any evidence to support it, the immediate leap was made to "cult sacrifices". Then, without anything specific that pointed to him, and out of all the people known, they were able to single out a single name, Echols. And then, the continued hysteria by actually finding it noteworthy enough to include in a written report that he had a pentagram tattoo, as if that is evidence of anything. The second I read this note, the first thing that went through my mind was "witch hunt". I mean come on, there was so little else done in terms of investigation and certainly that much less that actually pointed to any one person, be it Echols or anyone else, and yet, here these 2 sit and have the whole case solved without even getting off their asses.

On the day after the bodies of the three boys were found I had a conversation with Steve Jones, a Juvenile Officer for Crittenden County, Arkansas. In our conversation I found that Steve and I shared the same opinion that the murders appeared to have overtones of a cult sacrifice.

During our conversation Steve mentioned that of all the people known by him to be involved in cult type activities one person stood out in his mind, that in his opinion, was capable of being involved in this type of crime. That person was Damien Echols. Steve stated that Damien lived at 2706 South Grove in Broadway Trailer park in West Memphis, Arkansas. On this day, the day after the bodies were found, I asked Steve if he would meet me at Damien's residence in order to interview Damien.

In fact the day after the bodies were discovered I went to 2706 South Grove and meet with Steve Jones whereas we talked to Pamela and Eddie Hutcheson the mother and step-father of Damien. Neither Pamela or Eddie objected to our talking to Damien. On this day, with Pamela and Eddie's permission, we talked to Damien in his bed room and on this day I took a Polaroid of Damien Echols. At this time I observed Damien to have a tattoo on his chest of a five pointed star or pentagram and as best I remember one other tattoo on his shoulder or arm. I am unsure of the nature of this tattoo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back