Timeline of residences

JerseyGirl said:
So let me get this straight ... the house that the Boltons are selling used to be 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, and 1 floor? In the pics, we can clearly see that the house is built into the ground so it seems impossible that it was ever just one story, even if they put addition after addition on there.

Okay, number of stories aside, I can believe that the house may have originally been 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Is it possible that the additional bedrooms, etc., came from an addition being put on? What is the square footage like of the neighboring homes? If the square footage is similar, it could even be that some of the rooms were big enough to be split in order to accomodate for the number of children that Karyn and Jim had at home. 7-8 bedrooms does sound like an awful lot - it doesn't seem like that many bedrooms would have been built into a standard house unless the house was built specifically for them.

Do we have any comps in the area that we can use to compare sq. footage and numbers of rooms?
It was built in 1986 and we know raven didn't move to Utah until (I can't remember) 1993 -1995? so I'm guessing they bought it as a 3 bedroom 2 bath with an unfinished basement (which is what is showing in the picture and making it look two levels). From the info on the assessor's office website, they count split level homes as 1 story and don't count the basement as a story. This is just a guess but I would think that they finished the basement specifically for them after they moved in and they added the extra rooms and bathroom. Would that be considered as "adding on"? I don't get the 4 floors though. If you count the basement, you would have two...where are the other two floors stated on the listing coming from?

I always thought that a split level was listed based on the number of levels - basement being one, the ground level family room being another, the upper level being a 3rd, and so on.

I was looking at an aerial view of that neigborhood, and their house appears to be similar in size to the others near it. Not only that, the houses seem to be very close together so I don't know that there would have been enough room to add to the house if one would have wanted to. My guess for now is that they either converted the basement into some bedrooms (although that seems unlikely since it states that there are 2 family rooms) or they had some nice sized rooms that they split to make more.

JerseyGirl said:
I always thought that a split level was listed based on the number of levels - basement being one, the ground level family room being another, the upper level being a 3rd, and so on.

I was looking at an aerial view of that neigborhood, and their house appears to be similar in size to the others near it. Not only that, the houses seem to be very close together so I don't know that there would have been enough room to add to the house if one would have wanted to. My guess for now is that they either converted the basement into some bedrooms (although that seems unlikely since it states that there are 2 family rooms) or they had some nice sized rooms that they split to make more.
Could very well be. Maybe split level is that you have a family room only on one level and then you go down a few stairs to the kitchen (which is on a different level, but NOT a different floor). To say it is four floors is misleading if there aren't four FULL floors in a house. BTW, do they even make 4 story houses anywhere?

I remember having a poster tell us about Janet and raven's house in NC which was very informative and helpful. I wonder if someone that has been in raven's house in Utah could straighten this out for all of us....please!

Does anyone know how long the house has been on the market or what the average length of time might be before it would sell? It seems to me like it's priced to sell quickly; I don't know what real estate goes for there but it seems like a lot of house for the price.

JerseyGirl said:
Does anyone know how long the house has been on the market or what the average length of time might be before it would sell? It seems to me like it's priced to sell quickly; I don't know what real estate goes for there but it seems like a lot of house for the price.
I know! Cheap Cheap Cheap (no bird sounds implied) ;)
I would think it would have sold immediately. And, again, maybe it was priced this low to sell quickly for a reason....if no divorce, why not keep it and rent it out while you moved to a smaller place?

I'm trying to get some information on the listing - when it was placed, if the price has been reduced, etc. So far, not much but I'm sure we'll be able to track something down by tomorrow.

This house that was recently sold in Sandy is bigger but only has 4 bedrooms and sold for ALOT more. Their house must have been priced for "quick sale" or they did a really bad job selling it by owner???

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Status:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]List Price:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$475,000 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold Price:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$486,100 [/size][/font]1678 Crescent View Circle
Sandy, UT
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]List Date:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]12/01/2005 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold Date:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]01/06/06 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Bedrooms:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]4 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sq Ft:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]4,420 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Type:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 Story [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Baths:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2.5 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Lot Size:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1].21 [/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Feature Details[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Garage:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]3 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Exterior :[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Brick / Stucco [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Year Built:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2001 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Kitchen Cabinets:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Alder [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Heating:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Gas [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Cooling:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Central Air [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Window Coverings:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Shutters / Blinds [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]View:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Mountain [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Windows:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Double Pane Vinal [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Floor Coverings:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Carpet / Marble / Tile [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sprinklers:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Full / Automatic [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Roof:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Asphalt Shingle [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Landscaping:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Full [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Basement Finished:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]0% [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Taxes:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$3,492 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Fireplaces:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Kitchen Counters:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Granite [/size][/font]

I had one quick look at the photo of the outside of the house. Could it be a four LEVEL split ? This is the terminology we use up here, not one level is a complete story ie - the same square footage as the others, family room and a bed and bath down on one level, LR, DR and K up on another, up a short flight of stairs again to 3 bedrooms, and then the basement ?

I have a house similar to that house without add ons. At one time there were 9 kids and two parents that lived in this home.

When you go to my front door you walk up 4 or five stairs to get to my front door. that is the MAIN level. It has a living room, dining room and kitchen. This is all above ground (higher than ground level)

You walk up 5 or 6 stairs off the living room and I have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. (this is all above ground upstairs)

If you go back to the MAIN level (living room etc. and into the kitchen, you walk down 5 or 6 stairs to a lower level, this level is 1/2 above ground and 1/2 below ground, we have an office, which could be a bedroom another bathroom and a huge family room.

If you walk down 5 more stairs we have a rec room very large and and a laundry room.

We have no additions whatsoever, our home is called a split level and they consider the split level to be 4 levels. Depending on the realator and how you can get away with it, whether it is finished or not, and liberal use of levels is whether you can claim it is 4 levels.

I consider my house a split level - until i have to walk to the lowest leve to the bedroom ands back about 100 friggin' times a day, then I say it's 4 friggin floors and boy the word SLAB - one level - flat house starts looking SO GOOD.

On the outisde of our home it does not look like our house is that big, it is deceptively deceiving, because the levels sorta alternate - bedrooms bathroom bhat on one 1/2 of the side (right) - lving room dining room kitchen next floor (left) next floor family room, bathroom, office (right) and next level laundryroom, rec room on the (left)

It's sorta as though you split the house in two in the middle and each floor alternates a certain side of the house.

terminatrixator said:
It's sorta as though you split the house in two in the middle and each floor alternates a certain side of the house.
So each level is a half-story above the level below it? So the four level house is more like the height of two stories?

ewwwinteresting said:
This house that was recently sold in Sandy is bigger but only has 4 bedrooms and sold for ALOT more. Their house must have been priced for "quick sale" or they did a really bad job selling it by owner???[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1] [/size][/font]
Isn't there a realtor in the family that lives in California? I imagine that the laws of real estate differ from state to state but I think that some advice would be universal. If the numbers you posted are an indication that the Bolton house is being sold below market value, my guess would be that it is priced for quick sale because having a realtor in the family, IMO, would make it more likely that they'd be able to do a good job selling it on their own.

I don't know the actual value of that home but if it is indeed being priced low, could it be that the house isn't in such great condition? Maybe it needs some upgrades, fixing up, etc.? I noticed that it's being listed as a conventional mortgage. There are probably a bunch of factors that are considered when deciding how to list your house but when we bought our first home, our realtor gave us what she referred to as some basic rules of the different types of financing. According to her:

1) Listing your house with conventional mortgage only will limit the number of potential buyers - you should consider listing your house for FHA financing if at all possible.

2) If you do list with FHA, there are more rules that need to be followed. Repairs might need to be made to the home before it can be sold. So if you have a ton of little things that might need to be fixed and would be better off selling "as is", you'd be better to go conventional only.

Now, being that one of my areas of absolutely no knowledge is real estate, I don't know if the above is true or if we can ascertain anything at all from the "conventional" mortgage on the listing. Anyone have any thoughts on this that might make it clearer? Is there anything that can be determined from the conventional financing and the low pricing (if it even is low)?

JerseyGirl said:
So each level is a half-story above the level below it? So the four level house is more like the height of two stories?
Exactly. It looks more like a 2-1/2 story house because you can tell there is an upstairs and a house level and you can see that 1/2 the house is under ground the 3rd level - plus there is one level completely underground.

JerseyGirl said:
Isn't there a realtor in the family that lives in California? I imagine that the laws of real estate differ from state to state but I think that some advice would be universal. If the numbers you posted are an indication that the Bolton house is being sold below market value, my guess would be that it is priced for quick sale because having a realtor in the family, IMO, would make it more likely that they'd be able to do a good job selling it on their own.

I don't know the actual value of that home but if it is indeed being priced low, could it be that the house isn't in such great condition? Maybe it needs some upgrades, fixing up, etc.? I noticed that it's being listed as a conventional mortgage. There are probably a bunch of factors that are considered when deciding how to list your house but when we bought our first home, our realtor gave us what she referred to as some basic rules of the different types of financing. According to her:

1) Listing your house with conventional mortgage only will limit the number of potential buyers - you should consider listing your house for FHA financing if at all possible.

2) If you do list with FHA, there are more rules that need to be followed. Repairs might need to be made to the home before it can be sold. So if you have a ton of little things that might need to be fixed and would be better off selling "as is", you'd be better to go conventional only.

Now, being that one of my areas of absolutely no knowledge is real estate, I don't know if the above is true or if we can ascertain anything at all from the "conventional" mortgage on the listing. Anyone have any thoughts on this that might make it clearer? Is there anything that can be determined from the conventional financing and the low pricing (if it even is low)?
I don't think there is too much to read into that.., Now that there is so much competition between conventional mortgagors, there's not much benefit for an FHA loan as opposed to a conventional loan.

For what it's worth, FHA has revised their guidelines recently and do not have the regulations that they used to regarding property condition. They will accept the same appraisals now that conventional financing will and repairs are not required unless the appraiser notes an unsafe condition. (Guess you can tell that I just might be in mortgage lending for a living...lol)

lymom3 said:
For what it's worth, FHA has revised their guidelines recently and do not have the regulations that they used to regarding property condition. They will accept the same appraisals now that conventional financing will and repairs are not required unless the appraiser notes an unsafe condition. (Guess you can tell that I just might be in mortgage lending for a living...lol)
Thanks so much for the insight - I am thankful on a daily basis that I don't need to rely on my knowledge of the real estate market or financing to feed my family!

So if the rules regarding FHA have changed, what would some reasons for a seller to choose one instead of the other?

ewwwinteresting said:
This house that was recently sold in Sandy is bigger but only has 4 bedrooms and sold for ALOT more. Their house must have been priced for "quick sale" or they did a really bad job selling it by owner???

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Status:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]List Price:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$475,000 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold Price:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$486,100 [/size][/font][url="http://www.reloutah.com/images/rea/viewmap.gif"]http://www.reloutah.com/images/rea/viewmap.gif[/url]1678 Crescent View Circle
Sandy, UT
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]List Date:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]12/01/2005 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sold Date:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]01/06/06 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Bedrooms:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]4 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sq Ft:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]4,420 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Type:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 Story [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Baths:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2.5 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Lot Size:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1].21 [/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Feature Details[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Garage:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]3 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Exterior :[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Brick / Stucco [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Year Built:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2001 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Kitchen Cabinets:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Alder [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Heating:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Gas [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Cooling:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Central Air [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Window Coverings:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Shutters / Blinds [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]View:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Mountain [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Windows:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Double Pane Vinal [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Floor Coverings:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Carpet / Marble / Tile [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Sprinklers:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Full / Automatic [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Roof:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Asphalt Shingle [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Landscaping:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Full [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Basement Finished:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]0% [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Taxes:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]$3,492 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Fireplaces:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Kitchen Counters:[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Granite [/size][/font]
I'm actually thinking that the Bolton house is priced accurately. It's not in the most desirable location, while this house you found here is. It might sound strange, but 10 blocks to the east can actually make a big difference. It's a much pricier neighborhood. Plus this house has an additional 1000 sq ft and granite countertops.

The Bolton house is 3 blocks east of State Street which is fairly busy. Also, the majority of the homes surrounding it are older, 60's, 70's, some 80's and a few areas of newer homes.

newkid said:
I'm actually thinking that the Bolton house is priced accurately. It's not in the most desirable location, while this house you found here is. It might sound strange, but 10 blocks to the east can actually make a big difference. It's a much pricier neighborhood. Plus this house has an additional 1000 sq ft and granite countertops.

The Bolton house is 3 blocks east of State Street which is fairly busy. Also, the majority of the homes surrounding it are older, 60's, 70's, some 80's and a few areas of newer homes.
Thanks for the info NK. Surprising what 10 blocks can do I guess. I knew the house was 1000 sq ft bigger but didn't think that would equate to almost $200,000.00 more. If they lived in a less desirable neighborhood though, it makes sense.

newkid said:
I'm actually thinking that the Bolton house is priced accurately. It's not in the most desirable location...
How long do houses in that area normally stay on the market?

SouthEastSleuth said:
Last we heard, Raven was still living with his mother Karyn, and step-father Jim Bolton, in Sandy, Utah. Now it seems the house in on the market!

Makes me wonder - Is Raven moving somewhere with his folks? Getting his own place? Moving in with someone else?

Excerpts from the For Sale By Owner listing (link follows):

Type: Single Family

Address:
10798 S Heather Ridge Dr (360 East)
Sandy, UT 84070

Financial Informationhttp://www.forsalebyowner.com/images/spacer.gifAsking Price:
$285,000
Current loan type:
Conventional

Flexibility:
Willing to negotiate

http://www.forsalebyowner.com/show-listing.php?currentlySearching=1&iListingID=20564137
When I clicked this link just now, it said that the listing is not active. Does that mean that the house has sold? The exact message is as follows:

Sorry, that listing ID is not active. If you'd like to try another listing ID, please enter it in the box and click "Go."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJW4966
Back