TKS S1 E6: "A Killer on the Road".

Called him. 100% denial of any idea what I was talking about. Claims in 40 years on the road he has never heard of such a thing. I said that the guy the interviewed said everyone talks about it. Said no, never heard of anything of the kind, never saw anything bad at any truck stop. I pushed, explaining it spans decades and still continue all over the country. Still total denial...

From all I have seen on the series "The Killing Season", I have no real doubts about long haul truckers being possible serial killers, but having been a trucker for about ten years, I have been wondering whether consideration has been given to different aspects of the industry. First, most long haul drivers might be attached to companies that keep them moving all the time, and a good many companies have GPS capabilities allowing them to locate their trucks on a 24/7 basis. Second, unless a trucker is off duty and using a private vehicle to dump a victim along the highway, it seems that it would be difficult to park a big rig along an interstate highway for any great length of time without attracting attention. It strikes me that many possible serial killing truckers might fall into the category of independents or owner operators that contract for themselves. Does anyone here know what times of the day a lot of victims got dumped? What about on and off ramps located near the sites? A lot of truckers, if they cannot make it to a truck stop before their driving hours are up will pull off around an on or off ramp to sleep, because they are not a hazard to other motorists. Are there any references to times of day for victims being dropped? It seems that day and evening times could draw quiter a bit of attention.

Michael
silverwolf109

Called him. 100% denial of any idea what I was talking about. Claims in 40 years on the road he has never heard of such a thing. I said that the guy the interviewed said everyone talks about it. Said no, never heard of anything of the kind, never saw anything bad at any truck stop. I pushed, explaining it spans decades and still continue all over the country. Still total denial...
I've never heard anyone talk about these kind of things so he may be telling the truth, then again, like you said before he had some oretty sketchy friends. Good try though to see if he would open up about anything.

From all I have seen on the series "The Killing Season", I have no real doubts about long haul truckers being possible serial killers, but having been a trucker for about ten years, I have been wondering whether consideration has been given to different aspects of the industry. First, most long haul drivers might be attached to companies that keep them moving all the time, and a good many companies have GPS capabilities allowing them to locate their trucks on a 24/7 basis. Second, unless a trucker is off duty and using a private vehicle to dump a victim along the highway, it seems that it would be difficult to park a big rig along an interstate highway for any great length of time without attracting attention. It strikes me that many possible serial killing truckers might fall into the category of independents or owner operators that contract for themselves. Does anyone here know what times of the day a lot of victims got dumped? What about on and off ramps located near the sites? A lot of truckers, if they cannot make it to a truck stop before their driving hours are up will pull off around an on or off ramp to sleep, because they are not a hazard to other motorists. Are there any references to times of day for victims being dropped? It seems that day and evening times could draw quiter a bit of attention.

Michael
silverwolf109

Parking in ramps is actually illegal in most states now, it's not always been though. Parking in a ramp is a hazard.

I have been struggling to find the exact locations of the body dumps to see if there's a shipper or recover near by but the search is long and has not yielded much information for me to go on. A lot of shippers and receivers use a trucking company on a contract or regular basis. So my line of thinking for the past week was if I could find the location of where the bodies were dumped and decipher if it was in fairly close proximity to a shipper and or receiver then it would narrow down some company names to look at. I have a lot of connections in the shipping and brokerage business who know who hauls for who.

I feel the serial killers are in small companies who are not yet using OBR devices. And the body dumps are happening in the night time to early moring before dawn hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I can see GPS and security cameras making a difference now, but it's fairly recent in trucking terms. My dad's always been self-employed.

I can see GPS and security cameras making a difference now, but it's fairly recent in trucking terms. My dad's always been self-employed.
And those are exactly the kind of guys I'm leaning towards being the serial killers. I've gone over this a million times in my mind. And I can find some sceneries where a man in a tracked truck could do these things but I really feel it is the doings of guys who are not in tracked trucks.

Companies have been using qualcom communications for about 20 years now (super large companies). It's only been in more recent years smaller fleets have been using qualcom and peoplenet services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes, we are required to have a criminal back ground check, finger prints for a HAZMAT endorsement and medical examinations every two years. In addition to this initial licensing requirements, depending on the company there are general knowlege tests that need to be passed with a 90% score or better. Also, there are restrictions and clearances needed to enter specific areas where loads are kept. For instance, any rail road yards such as Sante Fe or Union Pacific, if they are required to go into the harbors or ports where the ships deliver cargo. Back ground checks are required when working out of the ports due to a TWIC card requirement. This is a terrorist back ground check performed by the FBI with fingerprinting and a photo where as a card issued similar to a chip style credit card which is inserted at a gate prior to entering the ports.
As well as periodic spot checks by law inforcement upon entering or exiting each state. When going into Canada or Mexico a pass port is required along with identification credentials. Because there are Owner Operators (people who own and operate their own trucks) they are considered a sub contractor to a company where the trucks they own are leased by a larger company and they work under contract. In these instances the same requirements are met. Some truck drivers who need entry onto a military base are subjected to even more scutiny with their credentialing, licensing and insurance coverage. So in answer to your question of "Why truck drivers aren't required to give fingerprints," they definatly are and in frequency. We are all in the federal database.
That being said, not all past crimes are a disqualification of employment. There is a rumor mill that is quicker than the internet and if someone has a history of certain criminal activity for example; child molestation, rape or murder and on porole, probation or considered "time served" the truck driver community is aware of it. These circumstances will limit but not eliminate a driver to be hired by a company or purchase his/her own truck and work under contract for a larger company.
There are several drivers that I know OF not KNOW. I feel I need to stress the fact that I do not KNOW them but, know OF them and choose to steer clear of them. Based on the knowledge that they have completed the licensing requirements and are employed I have the option of staying away if I see them in my travels or during the course of my work day.
A percentage of drivers will meet the minimum requirements and work for shady companies, live in their trucks and only take a load to maintain a very low key existance.For example they do not have a family such as a wife or children so they do not maintain a house hold there fore no need to return 'home' and they stay on the road all the time and live very confortably in their sleeper trucks. This is what I refer to as dissasociative behavior and is a red flag for me.
I hope this answers your question and puts things in perspective for you. I feel that an OTR (Over The Road) truck driver has plenty of time and unlimited resources and geographical accessibility to commit murder, rape, child molestation and various other atrocities. The majority of drivers are hard working and family oriented. I feel compelled to say; Please do not confuse the issue of a small percentage of bad people to the vast majority of good people.

I can relate to the precautions you took when traveling on the road. I also was a solo truck driver and a woman. I took precautions as well and still was in situations where I had to defend myself against others. I flew under the radar too but sometimes there is no way around going out after dark to shower, fuel or just get some air. Peeing in a cup is not as easy as it sounds but peeing wasn't the problem sometimes. Either way the looks and the stares and the comments are enough to make you want to take another shower after returning to your truck.

Thanks for your insight newangels!

If your still out there pushing freight please be safe. We all know the month of December is a hard month for road drivers.

I am a female truck driver and I was very concerned when they mentioned the two women in the group. But I also was wondering why they just blew by the fact of two women truck drivers. I have seen some of the women drivers and they are scary. Strong and just as mean as the guys are. Even the men think twice before messing with them. So what about it? Why didn't they investigate the women? To me it seems like we are struggling to get the sex worker murders solved simply because they are sex workers and female but now a serial killer slips through the cracks simply because they are female? Serial killers normally have a ruse of some kind. Think about this.....who is a sex worker more likely to trust and get in the truck with? Maybe the women drivers are setting them up since we already know they are a group with the same interests and intentions. Personally I would talk to a female driver but pass right by a male driver without a second thought. Maybe that's the key to this mess....Just saying.

Speaking about the cameras at the truck stops. My experience with the sex worker solicitation problem is not inside the truck stops but on the road outside the truck stops or on the off ramps. Away from the cameras eye. ALso when there are alot of trucks parked at a truck stop there are more blind spots than ever. Not to mention the darkness, especially the farther you get away from the pumps and the store area. The cameras are mainly watching the pumps and store but visibility is compromised by weather, trucks, daylight, darkness and various other interferences that go along with these busy truck stops.

I am a female truck driver and I was very concerned when they mentioned the two women in the group. But I also was wondering why they just blew by the fact of two women truck drivers. I have seen some of the women drivers and they are scary. Strong and just as mean as the guys are. Even the men think twice before messing with them. So what about it? Why didn't they investigate the women? To me it seems like we are struggling to get the sex worker murders solved simply because they are sex workers and female but now a serial killer slips through the cracks simply because they are female? Serial killers normally have a ruse of some kind. Think about this.....who is a sex worker more likely to trust and get in the truck with? Maybe the women drivers are setting them up since we already know they are a group with the same interests and intentions. Personally I would talk to a female driver but pass right by a male driver without a second thought. Maybe that's the key to this mess....Just saying.

I wondered immediately why the blowby and posted after that episode. Thinking outside the box is important. Plus I contend fewer female drivers means a smaller pool of Pois to wade through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is EXACTLY the mentality out there. What he was really saying was, "If you are a woman, then you shouldn't be out there for any other reason than sex." Take it from a woman truck driver. The looks and the resentment of women driving truck. It is a very 'male' oriented profession. Women mean nothing to these guys. You feel like you need to take a shower after walking through a room with them in it. Now imagine a sex worker banging on the door of one of these creeps and what do you have? The makings of a serial killer. Or at the very least a rapist. Since sex workers don't report this then it continues on to the next stop and so on.

The question was asked: For what reason would a truck need to pull off to the side of the road?
As most people do not know, unless they have been a truck driver themselves more specifically an OTR (over the road) truck driver, you wouldn't know.
There are various reasons for a driver to need to pull over to the side of the road, onto the shoulder of an off/on ramp or side road or street.
1) Break down/repairs maybe overheating or oil pressure.
2) Mandatory tire/brake check. Sometimes we are required to check our tire pressure and temperature every two hours when hauling certain HAZMAT loads. While other loads do not require these safety checks.
3) Traveling mountain passes we are required to stop and check our brakes at mandatory stops which are designated. Or any other time that we feel it is neccessary for the safety of our travels in addition to the designated areas.
3) Depending on cargo, we may be required to take specific highways or routes due to weight restrictions or school and residential concerns.
4) Sometimes bridges and overpasses are an issue. Either too low or weight concerns or even explosive cargo restrictions apply.
5) Mandatory breaks for resting/lunch time of minimum 30 minutes but may be more than this.
6) Re-settting drive hours: This requires a minimum of 10 hours and in this time drivers are not required to stay in or near their truck. This is 'off duty' time. Most people go home after an 8 hour day but drivers work a 14 hour work day which consists of max 11 hours drive and 3 hours doing safety checks ect. Although 10 hours is the minimum 'off duty' time it is not the maximum. This time is usually dictated by the appointment time of the load. These breaks are not always taken at a truck stop or rest area. Sometimes these designated areas are full and improvising is neccessary.
7) Relieving oneself or just stretching the legs which is needed when driving long hours.
These are just off the top of my head and not the only reasons for stopping. There is a multitude of reasons that are up to the individual driver. Because a truck can hold large amounts of fuel, and travel anywhere from 800 to 1000 miles on one fill up, a sex worker or anyone for that matter could be picked up or kidnapped and taken anywhere within a 1000 mile radius. Providing the driver is able to do so. And believe me they are since they are custom to doing so on a daily basis. I have personally driven 6 hours straight and would have gone longer if I had not been required by law to stop. E-logs (electronic logs) require a driver to log 'off duty, not driving' to keep in compliance with the law. However, not every driver has these e-logs and for good reason. None of which has any bearing on this issue so I won't go into it.
Bear in mind that the drivers I have worked with are hard working dedicated family people. I have also had the privilege of knowing their families and spent time at company barbeques. This case hits me to the core because there are so many good decent people that are truck drivers so to lump them together with these sick individuals really breaks my heart. The fact that this kind of sick and twisted stuff has been going on for decades need to be addressed. I'm sure that some of the bodies that heve yet to be discovered, date back to the 60's and 70's. In these cases the perpetrater is dead and gone. So my only wish in these cases is that we stay focused on the issue at hand and be able to distinguish between the good people and allow them/us to help authorities zero in on the bad people. I guarantee if a driver like my self has any knowledge or insite into these cases they won't hesitate to come forward. As I said before, I traveled with my father and I know several drivers like to take their spouse or children with them occasionally. They would never sit quietly by and allow this to continue and put their families or themselves at risk. However, they are painfully aware of the dangers and take precautions. We as drivers are on 'high alert' just to do our job and exsist among the elements we have to deal with on a daily basis. I would like to see more drivers come forward with their ideas and input so we can solve some of these cases. Unfortunatly law enforcement is the enemy to some drivers due to the constant citations, scales, and all that go with it in this profession. This is why I stress to everyone please do not lump us all together with these killers. We are not bad people. I have seen alot of negative remarks about truck drivers in these postings and I realize this is a horrifying problem that needs to be resolved. But I feel it is important not to alienate the industry as a whole because this is where the answers are. Somebody knows something. The 'no tell' mentality can be overcome for the better good but if they are put on the defensive then there is the possibility of them closing ranks. If that happens we will never solve this problem.

Excellent post newangels!
You seem to know a lot about hazmat from what I've gathered from your posts. You wouldn't happen to be part of a ghost team would you? You don't have to answer that of you don't feel comfortable. There's just some things in your posts that leads me to think you may be in the "know"

The question was asked: For what reason would a truck need to pull off to the side of the road?
As most people do not know, unless they have been a truck driver themselves more specifically an OTR (over the road) truck driver, you wouldn't know.
There are various reasons for a driver to need to pull over to the side of the road, onto the shoulder of an off/on ramp or side road or street.
1) Break down/repairs maybe overheating or oil pressure.
2) Mandatory tire/brake check. Sometimes we are required to check our tire pressure and temperature every two hours when hauling certain HAZMAT loads. While other loads do not require these safety checks.
3) Traveling mountain passes we are required to stop and check our brakes at mandatory stops which are designated. Or any other time that we feel it is neccessary for the safety of our travels in addition to the designated areas.
3) Depending on cargo, we may be required to take specific highways or routes due to weight restrictions or school and residential concerns.
4) Sometimes bridges and overpasses are an issue. Either too low or weight concerns or even explosive cargo restrictions apply.
5) Mandatory breaks for resting/lunch time of minimum 30 minutes but may be more than this.
6) Re-settting drive hours: This requires a minimum of 10 hours and in this time drivers are not required to stay in or near their truck. This is 'off duty' time. Most people go home after an 8 hour day but drivers work a 14 hour work day which consists of max 11 hours drive and 3 hours doing safety checks ect. Although 10 hours is the minimum 'off duty' time it is not the maximum. This time is usually dictated by the appointment time of the load. These breaks are not always taken at a truck stop or rest area. Sometimes these designated areas are full and improvising is neccessary.
7) Relieving oneself or just stretching the legs which is needed when driving long hours.
These are just off the top of my head and not the only reasons for stopping. There is a multitude of reasons that are up to the individual driver. Because a truck can hold large amounts of fuel, and travel anywhere from 800 to 1000 miles on one fill up, a sex worker or anyone for that matter could be picked up or kidnapped and taken anywhere within a 1000 mile radius. Providing the driver is able to do so. And believe me they are since they are custom to doing so on a daily basis. I have personally driven 6 hours straight and would have gone longer if I had not been required by law to stop. E-logs (electronic logs) require a driver to log 'off duty, not driving' to keep in compliance with the law. However, not every driver has these e-logs and for good reason. None of which has any bearing on this issue so I won't go into it.
Bear in mind that the drivers I have worked with are hard working dedicated family people. I have also had the privilege of knowing their families and spent time at company barbeques. This case hits me to the core because there are so many good decent people that are truck drivers so to lump them together with these sick individuals really breaks my heart. The fact that this kind of sick and twisted stuff has been going on for decades need to be addressed. I'm sure that some of the bodies that heve yet to be discovered, date back to the 60's and 70's. In these cases the perpetrater is dead and gone. So my only wish in these cases is that we stay focused on the issue at hand and be able to distinguish between the good people and allow them/us to help authorities zero in on the bad people. I guarantee if a driver like my self has any knowledge or insite into these cases they won't hesitate to come forward. As I said before, I traveled with my father and I know several drivers like to take their spouse or children with them occasionally. They would never sit quietly by and allow this to continue and put their families or themselves at risk. However, they are painfully aware of the dangers and take precautions. We as drivers are on 'high alert' just to do our job and exsist among the elements we have to deal with on a daily basis. I would like to see more drivers come forward with their ideas and input so we can solve some of these cases. Unfortunatly law enforcement is the enemy to some drivers due to the constant citations, scales, and all that go with it in this profession. This is why I stress to everyone please do not lump us all together with these killers. We are not bad people. I have seen alot of negative remarks about truck drivers in these postings and I realize this is a horrifying problem that needs to be resolved. But I feel it is important not to alienate the industry as a whole because this is where the answers are. Somebody knows something. The 'no tell' mentality can be overcome for the better good but if they are put on the defensive then there is the possibility of them closing ranks. If that happens we will never solve this problem.

I have a few questions, and one statement.

1. I worked at a hotel and would have truck drivers call to ask for parking and how far they were away. Is there a timer that shuts your semi down after a certain amount of time? One driver was REALLY mad because he didn't make it in time and was "stuck on a side road for the night".
2. Are there different stops that have more of a chance to have sex workers? Like is a certain well known chain used for that?
3. This is just a thank you. My best friend is a truck driver but only in state. I have told him many times and extended this to any other truck driver, thank you so much! I could never drive for hours on end as a profession with a big trailer no less. Oh and forget about stick shift! So I thank those that do that work. I know there are bad seeds in every profession. I mean I worked at 3 hotel front desk jobs and every hotel is different and has different clientele.

I have a few questions, and one statement.

1. I worked at a hotel and would have truck drivers call to ask for parking and how far they were away. Is there a timer that shuts your semi down after a certain amount of time? One driver was REALLY mad because he didn't make it in time and was "stuck on a side road for the night".
2. Are there different stops that have more of a chance to have sex workers? Like is a certain well known chain used for that?
3. This is just a thank you. My best friend is a truck driver but only in state. I have told him many times and extended this to any other truck driver, thank you so much! I could never drive for hours on end as a profession with a big trailer no less. Oh and forget about stick shift! So I thank those that do that work. I know there are bad seeds in every profession. I mean I worked at 3 hotel front desk jobs and every hotel is different and has different clientele.

I'm not the original poster you replied to but I can answer some of your questions.

1. No a timer will not shut the engine down. The truck will still run but the drivers safety department will frown upon them for driving over. The company may have policy in place to punish a driver who drives over their 11/14. A driver must do their best to be a good steward of their time by thinking and planning ahead.

2. I do not know of any paticular chain that would be known for sex workers but there are certain stops that are known for sex workers being readily available. This is especially true in warmer climates. (This is.. Based on my own opinion and driving experience).

3. Some trucks now have NO stick.. not even a clutch for starting and stopping! I have driven a auto shift a couple of times but it had a clutch for starting and stopping. My spouse has a 16 model rig that has no stick or clutch. It's just strange to see.

No not at all. Just speaking from experience and hope my knowledge will help the case. Although the trucking community is vast they are still a very tight knit group. This is my concern and why I believe reaching out to the drivers may have a major impact on these cases. The sex workers are also very important to the inside story of the trucking industry in relation to the sex workers.

No not at all. Just speaking from experience and hope my knowledge will help the case. Although the trucking community is vast they are still a very tight knit group. This is my concern and why I believe reaching out to the drivers may have a major impact on these cases. The sex workers are also very important to the inside story of the trucking industry in relation to the sex workers.
My question may have been confusing. I meant in the know in relation to a ghost team. I hope you didn't think I was implying you were in the know about any nefarious activities.

You are right, there's still a tight knit among drivers.

With e-logs you run out of time and you have to shut your truck off before your time runs out. He would have had to stop if he ran out of time before he could get to the hotel. This has happened to me but there is a way to get an extention of time to find a pull over spot but it has to be under the circumstance of bad weather or major accident resulting in stopped traffic or being re-routed by law enforcement. There is no way for the truck to be 'shut down' with out major safety concerns. Just violations given by the company for going over your 'drive time.' He was probably mad because he was looking forward to a shower and pushed past his time to get to the hotel...lol...been there done that!
There are certain stops where sex workers are more prevelant at different times such as 'peak times' but over all, they are everywhere. Not hard to find if you are looking. Truck stops and motel or hotel areas, rest areas are a little more low key due to the car travelers and familes going through more often and integrated parking areas.

Thank you. My questions were just basic but it helps with knowing why I was getting yelled at lol. I can't help he took 10 minutes too long! I held his room for him though. Gave him a free beer too. I'm a nice front desk employee. He made it sound like his truck shutoff and he was stuck. On road trips I always wondered if there were better places to stop then others. I chose fast food places and hoped I never had to go during the night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back