TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, going to lenght to show the carbine and how it fucntions. Not sure why? Did George hold the couple with the carbine? Perhaps.

A few q's (refresher) if anybody knows. Whose/which weapon was linked to Newsom's death. And is an assault rifle, such as this one of LD's, obtained legally--and if so, for what theoretical purpose? Sorry I know so little re weapons but I am willing to learn... :blushing:

:parrot:

A few q's (refresher) if anybody knows. Whose/which weapon was linked to Newsom's death. And is an assault rifle, such as this one of LD's, obtained legally--and if so, for what theoretical purpose? Sorry I know so little re weapons, I am willing to learn... :blushing:

Hey Kiki!!! None of the weapons confiscated were traced to Chris's death, hence the problem in charging anyone for it b/c they can't prove who pulled the trigger on what gun. As for the assult rifle...I believe that was a gift from Rhonda??? Is this the right gun that I'm thinking of?

I hope my answers are right...but I know somone will correct my info if I'm wrong!!!

A few q's (refresher) if anybody knows. Whose/which weapon was linked to Newsom's death. And is an assault rifle, such as this one of LD's, obtained legally--and if so, for what theoretical purpose? Sorry I know so little re weapons, but I am willing to learn... :blushing:

Wasn't it a 22 caliber pistol? :waitasec:

As a convicted felon Davidson was not allowed to be in posession of ANY firearm. :furious:

Assault rifles are obtained with ease according to this gun law site.

http://www.gunslot.com/articles/gun-laws-tennessee

It was unclear which revolver killed Chris. It was a .22 that was used, so could have been either pistol. The expert in the other trials said the testing was not conclusive, but could have been the one belonging to Lemaricus. The carbine rifle is a M-1 .30 caliber. They are legal. but I doubt Slim obtained it legally. probably stolen.

Thanks to all, I thought it was a pistol (from previous trial/s), just wasn't sure why they were going into detail re assault weapon. Also trying to figure out why such interest re shell casings found on porch too eg if they weren't recovered from scene... what is significance of casings, ie to what weapon are they tied? TIA

Kiki, i'm a little confused myself as to why there is this much discussion of the rifle and some of the shell casings. I dont remember this from the previous trials. Does anyone else? Perhaps we are going to hear a new twist on things.
I wouldnt be surprised to hear some more extensive testimony for the medical examiner in this trial.

Now going over measurements of all the rooms in the house? Not sure where this is leading.

Hey guys...I'm not sure either on the shell casings and long discussion on the guns?? They always had extensive testimony about the guns, but that was during LD and LC's trials, which they are THIER guns...so it was expected? Maybe the shell casings from the front porch to go along with the story of Stacey's that they shot the guns on New Years? I have no clue...literally!

I gotta run out guys, so I'm officially off of the tweets for now...sorry!! Here's the link in case you guys wanna check them out yourselves!!! http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Thanks again to everyone for thier coverage today! Till tomorrow friends! :)

Now going over measurements of all the rooms in the house? Not sure where this is leading.

OK, I lied..one more post! LOL....I think that this is being done to prove that there was no way that everyone in that house did not know what was going on, as they claim. Just a guess tho on my part! OK really....lata alligata's!

I hate to say it, but I'm worried. I didn't know the prosecution wasn't going to try to place G.T. at the carjackings. So basically, he's at the house.....So it's very hard for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he participated in any of the crimes. The defense is saying yes, he was there but didn't do anything to help and did not participate (which should at least convict him on some charges). I'm really scared the jury is going to think.....yes he was there and yes he probably participated in the crimes but the proof presented isn't beyond a reasonable doubt. I thought for sure he would at least be found guilty of facilitation for most of the charges, but honestly now I'm not so sure. In the last 2 trials, DNA is what the jury seemed to base the rape convictions on.

On another note, the prosecution isn't placing G.T. at the carjackings. Boyd was convicted on federal charges of helping after the fact. So something has to give.....Davidson and Cobbins weren't the only 2 carjackers. Perhaps this is why Boyd still might face other state charges? Not to mention, I thought Vanessa was the only one at the house during the carjackings?

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Now we're getting somewhere. TK using KPD Resig to show dimensions of house to try to show how small house was

Resig using tape measure to mark off hoiuse dimensions in courtroom

House could fit in just half of Baumgartner's courtroom. Point is 2 show Thomas hardpressed 2 ignore goings on

I hate to say it, but I'm worried. I didn't know the prosecution wasn't going to try to place G.T. at the carjackings. So basically, he's at the house.....So it's very hard for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he participated in any of the crimes. The defense is saying yes, he was there but didn't do anything to help and did not participate (which should at least convict him on some charges). I'm really scared the jury is going to think.....yes he was there and yes he probably participated in the crimes but the proof presented isn't beyond a reasonable doubt. I thought for sure he would at least be found guilty of facilitation for most of the charges, but honestly now I'm not so sure. In the last 2 trials, DNA is what the jury seemed to base the rape convictions on.

On another note, the prosecution isn't placing G.T. at the carjackings. Boyd was convicted on federal charges of helping after the fact. So something has to give.....Davidson and Cobbins weren't the only 2 carjackers. Perhaps this is why Boyd still might face other state charges? Not to mention, I thought Vanessa was the only one at the house during the carjackings?

I know this one really has me worried also, as much as I want to see GT get it the proof just don't seem to be there.
Thanks for all the updates everyone. Is the ME going to take the stand again, not sure I want to be around for that again......OOO the poor parents to have to keep going over this again and again.

Now we're getting somewhere. TK using KPD Resig to show dimensions of house to try to show how small house was

Resig using tape measure to mark off hoiuse dimensions in courtroom

House could fit in just half of Baumgartner's courtroom. Point is 2 show Thomas hardpressed 2 ignore goings on

Thanks suzi, yes here is more on this (bbm).

KNOXVILLE — The Chipman Street house where Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom were held captive is long gone, but jurors this evening got a peek at its size in a dramatic courtroom demonstration...

Late this afternoon, prosecutor Takisha Fitzgerald sought to show jurors that Thomas would have been hard-pressed to ignore the atrocities committed inside a house measuring less than 810 square feet.

She did so using Knoxville Police Department firearms expert Patricia Resig, who measured the house before it was bought by nearby Waste Connections Inc. and torn down
to be replaced with a memorial of the 21-year-old Christian and 23-year-old Newsom.

With help from four people serving as boundaries for the house’s four sides, Resig showed jurors that the house would take up less than half the space in Judge Richard Baumgartner’s courtroom.

Article goes on to explain 'hot potato' Ethyl...

Earlier in the day, Ethel Freeman, a woman who has played musical witness chairs in the trials of suspects in the torture-slaying case, continued to be a thorn in prosecutors’ sides.

They needed her testimony to try to convince jurors Freeman’s alleged sighting of Thomas walking on Chipman Street hours authorities believe Newsom’s body was set on fire could be proof it was Thomas who ignited the blaze.

But Freeman came with baggage for the prosecution. After testifying three times before that she never went to Chipman Street the night the couple was kidnapped, she changed course and witness lists at the October trial of ringleader Lemaricus Davidson.

In that trial she testified on behalf of Davidson, claiming she went to Davidson’s house shortly before the couple was believed to be carjacked and actually saw the pair at a nearby gas station begging for money.

Fitzgerald today initially steered clear of Freeman’s panhandling claim, but defense attorney Tom Dillard pounced on it in cross-examination

“Are you as sure you saw George Thomas as you are you saw Channon Christian and Chris Newsom?” Dillard asked.

Fitzgerald was then forced to try to discredit the panhandling story without discrediting her account of seeing Thomas.

(article cont'd at link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members