TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
[MB]
-snipped great info for space-

If Coleman takes the stand, as promised, TK can impeach everything she says. Even this short entry knocked out the argument Lavitt had been making on his fierce cross-examinations. TK was superb in summing it up in her closing argument for the Davidson and Thomas trials. Remember, the prosecution does not really put it together in a circumstantial evidence case until closing argument (the Scott Peterson trial is another example) and TK has shown she can.

I'm going to write a piece this weekend about what I saw for Sprocket's Trials and Tribulations under the name "David From TN." I started using "William N" at this Forum several years ago because it is my great-grandfather's name.

The parents of Chris and Channon are very fine people. I don't see how they bear up as well as they do. I spoke briefly to Hugh Newsom Friday morning and to both Hugh and Mary Newsom at the end of court that afternoon. You can tell what good people Chris and Channon were by their parents.

Thank you for sharing all this with us, David. Please let us know when your piece is up!

I envy you most for being able to speak to Mr Newsom. If I could speak to any of the parents, it would be him. I hope they all know that there are so many people from far away states whose hearts are going out to them with both sympathy and respect.

I think at least one juror is with the defence and the theory that Coleman may have been a victim too, the question from the jury about Daphne no being charged must have been the one the prosecution was hoping would never be asked, as now the defence is like a dog with a bone and keeps dragging Daphne into the case as often as he can

Friday late was better for the prosecution though as they had the journal written around the times of the crimes and the aftermath, and they finally had DNA from Coleman at the crime scene, and in places a reasonable person could assume were placed there in the commission of a crime, one could reasonably assume in relation to the skin lifts on the tied end of the white cloth that they got there when the person (Coleman) was tying up the victim,

the DNA on the floral cloth they will say was from when she slept on the cloth, but again a reasonable person could question the fact that Colemans DNA is on two separate items used to tie up Channon, and she therefore is involved

we shall also soon find out if she is to testify, as prosecution said they have the Medical Examiner on Monday and that is there final witness, so the defence will begin there CIC

I think you're right about the DNA and journal testimony yesterday. As hard as the defense tries to muddy the waters with the Daphne comparison, I expect TK will blow that out of the water in closing.

As for VC taking the stand, I'm not sure what to think, except that, if she does, I'll want to lock myself up in a hotel room so no one will interrupt. :whistle:

WilliamN, The day Lavit tangled with Waggoner, the judge admonished the gallery for being emotional and to let him take care of it. Can you draw us a picture of what was happening with the spectators that caused the judge to say this?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I can't wait to read your piece when it's up.

[MB]

Thank you for sharing all this with us, David. Please let us know when your piece is up!

I envy you most for being able to speak to Mr Newsom. If I could speak to any of the parents, it would be him. I hope they all know that there are so many people from far away states whose hearts are going out to them with both sympathy and respect.

I had wanted to speak to them but thought it would be presumptious on my part, but on Friday morning Mr. Newsom spoke to me and put me at ease.

The defense strategy in all four trials has been to pretend Chris Newsom never existed. Cobbins and Davidson did admit in their self-serving police interviews that Chris was brought to the Chipman St house. Lavitt is claiming "Chris was never in the house and Vanessa never saw him."

We must never forget that Chris was raped anally "with an object," dragged by a dog leash around his neck naked from the waist down to the railroad track. His mouth was gagged by his own socks and his feet were bound. Chris was then shot 3 times as the killers (Davidson, Cobbins, and Thomas) inflicted as much pain as possible. His body was then set on fire.

The defense in this trial paints Vanessa Coleman as the victim.

WilliamN, The day Lavit tangled with Waggoner, the judge admonished the gallery for being emotional and to let him take care of it. Can you draw us a picture of what was happening with the spectators that caused the judge to say this?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I can't wait to read your piece when it's up.

This was on Thursday. Lavitt was asking the same questions over and over and shouting at Waggoner. This went on for hours. Some of the spectators started making noises in disgust. The Judge then said, "You in the audience don't be editorializing. Leave that to me."

David (my real name) From TN

Very good piece David! Perfect how you translated what Nessa was talking about in her diary.

It's hard not to feel sorry for them, isn't it? We see so many awful parents in these cases, but I don't think this couple is one of them.

AFAIK, all they have said was that they didn't raise her to be so cold and didn't think she would have stood by and done nothing to help. I disagree with the latter, but do believe the former. I've seen other very good parents have kids go bad, especially by getting themselves into the wrong relationships. It's gut-wrenching for the parents. :(

This could just be my usual wishful thinking, and we'll find out in the sentencing phase. But just looking at them, and hearing from Waggoner how they tried to cooperate gave me hope.

20z8z7a.jpg

15ocoqx.jpg

10sdxtx.jpg

I agree. I do feel sympathy for the parents of VC. I think they did raise her right. She just chose "adventures" over right. After seeing the journal, I would think that they would see that despite their best, what she turned out to be.

Simply put, thank you David.

In my pocket, I had a Top Flight Memo Book. While observing the court proceedings over 3 days, I took notes on what I saw and heard. In the final piece, I tried to write what I thought people would want to know.

David From TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member