TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG All, I am so sick over this case, I truly think I am going to puke. Just got a heads up from a friend and just started looking over some of the postings and news reports. It will take some time to catch up, however, this is a horrible, horrible, senseless crime. I love the report I saw from the news listed just below:

"An October 16, 2009 article in The Daily Mail stated, "Ironically, the case has now generated more publicity surrounding the furore over whether or not political correctness was behind the US media’s decision to largely ignore the story than it did for the murders themselves." The same article quoted conservative commentator Michelle Malkin as saying, "This case – an attractive white couple murdered by five black thugs – doesn’t fit any political agenda. It’s not a useful crime. Reverse the races and just imagine how the national media would cover the story of a young black couple murdered by five white assailants."

Take Care Ann!!!:twocents: True Fact!!

My bold... Don't get me started, Kitty. I've tried to hold my tongue on this, because I despise bigots and don't want to seem like one, but bigots come in all colors and political persuasions. This is bigotry born of political correctness.

When I compare the determined brushing under the rug of this case with the shouting from the rooftops done in the Duke Lacrosse case, I can hardly breathe.

Thank you, Suzi. They showed two great new pics of Chris and Channon...

When Mr Newsom chokes up talking about what a good son Chris was and how he'd give everything to have him back, I lost it. :(

He's right; having these kids be put on trial like this is not right. Not morally - not ethically. :no:

When Gary took the stand his love and his pain was so palatable I broke down and bawled like a baby.
12.gif
emoticon-0153-brokenheart.gif

YouTube - Letalvis Cobbins' sentencing - Gary Christian's victim impac

Praying continued strength for these parents and loved ones :prayer:

:parrot:

Beautiful photo of Channon above btw... awww, she was daddy's girl. Her dad is brokenhearted because he wasn't there to save his little girl. Unable to bear the thought he was just a block or so away while she may still have been alive. It torments this poor father night and day, who dreamed of giving his daughter away someday, dancing w her at her wedding, holding his grandchildren. He's so hurt it is heartwrenching.

My bold... Don't get me started, Kitty. I've tried to hold my tongue on this, because I despise bigots and don't want to seem like one, but bigots come in all colors and political persuasions. This is bigotry born of political correctness.

When I compare the determined brushing under the rug of this case with the shouting from the rooftops done in the Duke Lacrosse case, I can hardly breathe.

Muffet, so sorry if you think I am a biggot, because I surely am not!! Of course they come in all race, color, creed, political and social backrounds. That is SOOO not the point here. It has to do with the true fact (no matter what if black or white, what it is a horrifying and UNFORGIVEABLE crime). The fact of the matter is if it was a black couple it would have been more outspoken on the news that these thugs and racial profiling idiots who were born of privilege commited these crimes. In the opposite it is 2 white kids were murdered by thugs that should not have chosen that path. I guess I don't know where you are coming from. No matter what, wrong is wrong!!! Not racial in any way!!! Again, JMHO!! Ann:twocents::twocents:

When Gary took the stand his love and his pain was so palatable I broke down and bawled like a baby.
12.gif

omg, kiki. :no: When he says he'll never stop hearing the echoes of her calling for him to come save her and stop them, it's unbearable. Same for his obsessing on whether or not she was still alive when he was out there looking for her just a few hundred yards away.

Then he says he "loves her more," and just...

How that courtroom managed not to boo and hiss at Cobbins' family with all their boohooing over losing him is beyond me.

Muffet, so sorry if you think I am a biggot, because I surely am not!! Of course they come in all race, color, creed, political and social backrounds. That is SOOO not the point here. It has to do with the true fact (no matter what if black or white, what it is a horrifying and UNFORGIVEABLE crime). The fact of the matter is if it was a black couple it would have been more outspoken on the news that these thugs and racial profiling idiots who were born of privilege commited these crimes. In the opposite it is 2 white kids were murdered by thugs that should not have chosen that path. I guess I don't know where you are coming from. No matter what, wrong is wrong!!! Not racial in any way!!! Again, JMHO!! Ann:twocents::twocents:

Oh, noo, kitty! I'm sorry for the confusion - I was agreeing with you! Still agree 100%. I only said "don't get me started" because I could rant forever on the subject. :blush:

12.gif

OMG, this is the most moving, tearful testimony ever!! So eloquent and heart breaking at the same time. I am still crying... Please let these people rest in peace at some point!!! WOW, I am still dumbstruck... thanks for this, it will forever be in my heart... God Bless these parents who have had to deal with the most horrifying ordeal of the lifetime... Thanks for letting me vent!!! :furious:

I also found this article that came out in May of 2007. It's title is Parents' Memories Of Channon Christian. Because it was early in the investigation and no cases gone to trial, some of the details are a little off but just read. I cried like a baby. Reading that Gary still listens to his daughters voicemail... no words.

Wake up to find your daughter missing.
Spend the next two days in a frantic search to find her.

Learn that she was kidnapped, raped, tortured and strangled, her body discarded in a garbage can. Bury her. Be haunted by ghastly images of what she suffered. Call her cell phone just to hear her voice. Stare at the people suspected of killing her. Don't yell out. Don't grab them. Don't kill them.

"You put yourself for just a minute - don't stay long - in my shoes," Gary Christian said Monday. "I've been a religious person all my life. When this happened, God said he'd never put on you anything you can't take. Well, that's a matter of opinion. That's yet to be seen."

Gary Christian and his wife, Deena Christian, have spent the past four months grappling with the Jan. 7 slaying of their 21-year-old daughter, Channon Christian, and her boyfriend, 23-year-old Christopher Newsom.

The couple was kidnapped by what authorities contend was a band of robbers initially intent only on taking Channon Christian's Toyota 4-Runner from the parking lot of an apartment complex on Washington Pike. The pair had gone there to visit friends, eating Applebee's take-out food and watching a movie.

In Gary and Deena Christian's view, only two people in this world can really know their suffering - Newsom's parents, Hugh and Mary Newsom.

"They really didn't know us from Adam," Gary Christian said of the Newsoms. "We didn't know them. (Now) we have become very, very close very fast."

"They're the only people who know how we feel," Deena Christian added.

Channon Christian and Newsom had only just begun dating when their lives were taken. Authorities believe the couple was kidnapped at gunpoint and taken to a house on Chipman Street, where both were repeatedly raped. Newsom was shot, his body wrapped in a blanket, set afire and dumped alongside nearby railroad tracks. Channon Christian was held captive for at least several hours before she was strangled and her body wrapped in trash bags and discarded in a garbage can inside the house.

Gary Christian said he will never forgot the first moment he saw his daughter nor the last time he heard her voice alive.

"They took her and put her in a little incubator," he recalled of his daughter's birth. "I put my finger down toward her hand. I put my finger in her palm. She closed her hand around my finger, and I was one whupped puppy from that day on."

It was 12:35 a.m. on Jan. 7 when he last heard from her. She told him that she and friends planned to finish watching a movie and then she would be home.

"I said all right and be careful and I love you, and she said she loved me," he said.

Deena Christian would start calling her daughter's cell phone later that morning. It would never be answered.

"I just kept calling and calling and calling," she said.

Gary Christian calls it still.

"I still call her voice mail and listen to her - 'This is Channon. I can't come to the phone right now, but I'll call you right back,'?" he said. "I've listened to it four billion times. I've recorded it."

Authorities were slow to launch a search for Channon Christian when her mother first phoned in a missing persons report. Such reports are fairly common. Most missing adults turn up alive. The discovery of Newsom's body later that day changed all that.

In four days, an army of law enforcers - including local, state and federal agents - rounded up four slaying suspects and a fifth accused accessory. Charged in the double slaying are brothers Lemaricus "Slim" Davidson, 25, and Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins, 24, his girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman, 19, and accused conspirator George "Detroit" Thomas. Eric "E" Boyd is charged federally with trying to help Davidson flee.

"I developed two things that I hope to God I can some day get rid of," Gary Christian said of his reaction to the allegations. "One is horror that you cannot understand, and the other is just a hatred I hope you never know."

Link: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/may/22/parents-memories-of-channon-christian/

I also found this article that came out in May of 2007. It's title is Parents' Memories Of Channon Christian. Because it was early in the investigation and no cases gone to trial, some of the details are a little off but just read. I cried like a baby. Reading that Gary still listens to his daughters voicemail... no words.

Wake up to find your daughter missing.
Spend the next two days in a frantic search to find her.

Learn that she was kidnapped, raped, tortured and strangled, her body discarded in a garbage can. Bury her. Be haunted by ghastly images of what she suffered. Call her cell phone just to hear her voice. Stare at the people suspected of killing her. Don't yell out. Don't grab them. Don't kill them.

"You put yourself for just a minute - don't stay long - in my shoes," Gary Christian said Monday. "I've been a religious person all my life. When this happened, God said he'd never put on you anything you can't take. Well, that's a matter of opinion. That's yet to be seen."

Gary Christian and his wife, Deena Christian, have spent the past four months grappling with the Jan. 7 slaying of their 21-year-old daughter, Channon Christian, and her boyfriend, 23-year-old Christopher Newsom.

The couple was kidnapped by what authorities contend was a band of robbers initially intent only on taking Channon Christian's Toyota 4-Runner from the parking lot of an apartment complex on Washington Pike. The pair had gone there to visit friends, eating Applebee's take-out food and watching a movie.

In Gary and Deena Christian's view, only two people in this world can really know their suffering - Newsom's parents, Hugh and Mary Newsom.

"They really didn't know us from Adam," Gary Christian said of the Newsoms. "We didn't know them. (Now) we have become very, very close very fast."

"They're the only people who know how we feel," Deena Christian added.

Channon Christian and Newsom had only just begun dating when their lives were taken. Authorities believe the couple was kidnapped at gunpoint and taken to a house on Chipman Street, where both were repeatedly raped. Newsom was shot, his body wrapped in a blanket, set afire and dumped alongside nearby railroad tracks. Channon Christian was held captive for at least several hours before she was strangled and her body wrapped in trash bags and discarded in a garbage can inside the house.

Gary Christian said he will never forgot the first moment he saw his daughter nor the last time he heard her voice alive.

"They took her and put her in a little incubator," he recalled of his daughter's birth. "I put my finger down toward her hand. I put my finger in her palm. She closed her hand around my finger, and I was one whupped puppy from that day on."

It was 12:35 a.m. on Jan. 7 when he last heard from her. She told him that she and friends planned to finish watching a movie and then she would be home.

"I said all right and be careful and I love you, and she said she loved me," he said.

Deena Christian would start calling her daughter's cell phone later that morning. It would never be answered.

"I just kept calling and calling and calling," she said.

Gary Christian calls it still.

"I still call her voice mail and listen to her - 'This is Channon. I can't come to the phone right now, but I'll call you right back,'?" he said. "I've listened to it four billion times. I've recorded it."

Authorities were slow to launch a search for Channon Christian when her mother first phoned in a missing persons report. Such reports are fairly common. Most missing adults turn up alive. The discovery of Newsom's body later that day changed all that.

In four days, an army of law enforcers - including local, state and federal agents - rounded up four slaying suspects and a fifth accused accessory. Charged in the double slaying are brothers Lemaricus "Slim" Davidson, 25, and Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins, 24, his girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman, 19, and accused conspirator George "Detroit" Thomas. Eric "E" Boyd is charged federally with trying to help Davidson flee.

"I developed two things that I hope to God I can some day get rid of," Gary Christian said of his reaction to the allegations. "One is horror that you cannot understand, and the other is just a hatred I hope you never know."

Link: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/may/22/parents-memories-of-channon-christian/

Hey guys, I have never had children, but many, many animals. When they do not appear as they are supposed to I always wonder what happened (which thankfully has happened only once to an outcome which was not good). However, sitting just down the street and the wondering for a lifetime would just about kill you knowing what happened to this man's daughter. I keep replaying that tape in my mind and every time I think I am GOING TO BE SO SICK, I can't stand it... This poor man has to live the rest of his life wondering what may have been??? Oh dear god, please let them ease their minds!!! That is just so not fair!! Thanks Guys for letting me get this off my chest, I am just sickened over this case. There is a special place for these boys that did that and I hope it is HORRIFYING like Channon and Christopher felt and dealt with!! Ann:banghead::furious::banghead::furious:

Very good video

http://www.knoxnews.com/videos/detail/victims-families-speak-defense-strategy-during-dav/
Published Oct. 26, 2009
The Christians and Newsoms react to defense attorneys questioning their children's character during the trial of Lemaricus Davidson, who is accused in the January 2007 carjacking, rape, torture and slaying of their children Channon Christian and Chris Newsom. (Photos provided by families.)

Wow these parents....every time they get me. Prayers for the families and the jurors that we finally get the justice deserved with this one. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500