TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn't made my local paper but I am scouring all the Chattanooga papers and tv stations for news.

>>
Durham said Gail Palmgren made an unexpected trip to Alabama on April 29. Police agencies in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have been notified, Tizzio said.
<<

Well, another odd disappearance.
She takes her two children, ages 12 and 9, to a lake house on a Friday, April 29.
Maybe that area has spring break then? If not, she took them out of school.
Then, she comes back early Sat., April 30.
She has left again by noon.

Did she leave the kids alone with no notice to anyone?
I am with everyone else. What do the kids have to say?

And what did she buy at Walmart?
And what way did she turn when she left the parking lot?

I am wondering what she was scared of. This is an interesting comment from her friend:

>>
Family friend Arlene Durham said Palmgren is a devoted mother of two children, a 9-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy.
“I think she’s so scared right now she doesn’t know what to do,” said Durham, who lives on Lake Jordan, Ala., and has been in Signal Mountain all week searching for Palmgren. “If she’s not hiding, then something happened to her. You don’t just up and leave. She’s not that type of person.”<<

http://buffaloprofessional.com/news...ing-signal-woman-chattanooga-times-free-press

I think it is "odd" that the husband says she has psychiatric issues. Immediately I wonder is he trying to set up a scene? Especially when her friend and police seem to contradict this.

I just wonder about the husband and his actions=both verbal and physical.

If the kids went to public school then they were out of school on Thursday and Friday (April 28 and 29) due to the tornado aftermath.

Family of missing woman: "We've got to find her"

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, HAMILTON COUNTY, TN (WRCB) - It's been nine days since Gail Nowacki Palmgren went missing.

The Nowacki family has handed out more than 2,500 flyers in three days, hoping someone has seen her.

"I know she's going through a lot, she just missed Mother's Day," said Kevin Nowacki, Palmgren's older brother, "it hurts, I need her back."

Gail Palmgren, age 44, was last seen on nine days ago, driving her red four-door Jeep.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=14601268

Somehow that information about the domestic call and the fact she was given a number for a "safe Place" isn't surprising.

How many times have we seen the SO set up the disappearance with a "mental' issue? When everyone else says NO WAY. And sure enough it comes out he has issues...and one of them is telling lies.

I fear very much for Gail's safety at this point.

So we have a woman that uncharacteristically dropped her kids off at home alone and took off.
She had a domestic dispute with her husband days prior after which she was given a safe house number.
The neighbor said a lot had been going on at the house.
We have a brother and friends making pleas for her to contact them or if anyone knows anything to please call LE.
Why isn't her dh all over the news?

What would make someone take off so abruptly without leaving word with anyone? If she was gone of her own volition,why wouldn't she contact her family and let them know she was ok? If there was something that was scaring her enough to get out of dodge in a hurry where is she?

I don't like any of this

"I saw her leaving around 12:15 that afternoon and I ran up the hill to say hi, because I knew she'd been upset for quite a while. Things have been going on at the house," said neighbor Susie Button. "She just drove away, she never even acknowledged me."
The day before Palmgren went missing, Signal Mountain officers responded to a disorder between Palmgren and her husband, Matthew Palmgren.
No charges were filed, but the report states Gail Palmgren was given phone numbers to a "safe place to stay".
Channel 3 attempted to reach Palmgren's husband, but our calls were not returned.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=14601268

Family Continues Frantic Search For Missing Signal Mountain Woman
snip

According to a Signal Mountain Police report released Monday evening, no crimes were committed during the April 29 dispute between the couple.

“Matthew Palmgren agreed to stay at 40 Ridge Rock Drive and let Gail Palmgren take their two children . . . to their lake house in Alabama for the night,” according to the report.

“Gail was given phone numbers of a safe place to stay,” officers reported.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200886.asp

Spare tire cover on the back of her jeep looks this

allthingsjeep_2154_101121902.gif

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14601268

There was a Canadian couple who got lost in Idaho and the woman was recovered yesterday, I think it was. If Gail was distraught and lost her way, there is still time to find her!

I know the Signal Mt. Area very well, and I've lived in or near Chattanooga all my life.

This case strikes me as strange for several reasons. :waitasec:

On April 27th, we had four tornadoes strike this area and now Hamilton County (which includes Signal Mountain) is a Federal Disaster Area.

To put this in perspective, my family huddled in the bathroom four times on Wednesday the 27th while baseball sized hail hit the roof, and an F-4 tornado passed within five miles of my house! On the 28th, we could only listen to the disaster reports on the radio, and I cooked on a grill. We had no power until Sunday when they finally got the trees off the power lines. Most of the roads were closed or blocked, and some are still blocked due to fallen lines and trees. Some women in my husband's office got their power back on yesterday!

Northern Alabama all the way to Birmingham and Tuscaloosa is also a disaster area. Signal Mt. to Montgomery, AL, is a long, long drive, just to turn around and come back. And then she just dropped off the kids at home where they might or might not have had electricity and something to eat? Again for perspective: except for what we cooked quickly on Thursday and Friday, we lost all the food in our refrigerator. Was that why she went to WalMart?

According to MapsOnUs:
Signal Mt., TN to Montgomery, AL
Total Distance: 240.6 miles
Estimated Time: 3.5 hours

I don't even understand how anyone could have driven to Montgomery, AL on the freeways the day she left because northern Alabama was devastated and the freeways were at a standstill. If she went I-59 through north Georgia to Alabama, they were basically in lockdown for hundreds of miles.

Why would she drive her children through that two days after being traumatized by the tornadoes? Authorities here were begging people to stay home.

I would like to know if she actually went to the vacation home and stayed there in Montgomery, and why would the husband let the kids go with her through areas where they were still searching for the dead and all the power was out anyway? My mind is boggling at this.

Was she just trying to go somewhere so she and the kids would have electricity and a hot shower? There were hotels open around town where it would have been safer. It's odd that she turned right around and came back since they probably still didn't have power on Signal Mt. that day and there was no school until Monday. I'm completely baffled.

More thoughts: Signal Mountain is a really small town and almost everyone is affluent. It sounds as if several people knew this family's personal business as well.

The Signal Mountain police are probably well-meaning, but I'm not sure they are equipped for a full-scale missing person's case.

The Wal Mart is at the foot of the mountain, I believe, in the town of Red Bank, which was also hard hit by an F-1 tornado on April 27th that destroyed about 80 homes.

I am thinking it would be important to know if they had surveillance cameras in the Walmart parking lot.
I am going to look at google earth and see if I can tell, but if we have anyone that lives in the area it would be helpful to know for sure.

I would think this was SOP for a Walmart PL, but I will keep reading the thread to see. Any locals who might know for sure?

Well ThoughtFox, that sums it up nicely. :(

ETA: I see that the domestic dispute was the reason for the trip to the lake house. Given ThoughtFox's post, I am confused about her ability to navigate through all of this. Perhaps she didnt really travel to the Lake House. Perhaps she stayed in a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab