Identified! TN - Gatlinburg, under OberGatlinburg tramway, WhtFem 30-45, UP1589, clothes, Dec'74 - Charlotte Roberta Henry

Great work! And oh, dontcha just love the stylish 87-cent panties at the second link? Haha!:floorlaugh:

Now those would have made a statement when I was on the chairlift in Gatlinburg!!! I think I'd spring the extra 10 cents for the ones with the fluted sides, myself.

Charlotte Rexroad? NamUS # 19498

Long shot but she only had slippers on when she was last seen in 1970. Maybe she just ran away from OH and was living a homeless/transient lifestyle...34 when she went missing.

ETA: seemed to have fairly nice-ish clothes on when last seen.

DNA submitted on Charlotte, but tests are not complete. Pinkruby and fellow sleuthers, do you think I should give the Forensic anthropologist a head's up?

We rent a cabin every year for a week in September at GB, to attend Rod Run. The cabin we stay at sits right underneath that tram. Ever few seconds, from early in the am until about 10ish at night those seats passed directly over us. What I am curious about is the paved lanes, that are all over that mountain. It would be nothing to walk to the hardtop from that trail. This isn't making any sense to me at all! And yes, many many bears there. I have pics.

BF explanation of why Charlotte left: "Four days later, a Monday, officers spoke to Wyne again. This time at his job at Schlemmer Buick. He told them he still hadn’t seen Rexroad. He went on to explain she’d recently had a cancer operation and hadn’t been herself lately. Wyne said she’d taken no interest in him or her family lately and suggested that’s why she left home."

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20100308/News/303089794#ixzz2ulcGtZ2d

I'm going to try and take some pictures next time I go to Gatlinburg to see what the terrain is like where she was found.

I just looked through my Facebook photos of our trip up the tram last fall but I didn't have any that showed underneath the tram. It's hilly and steep, though, not something you would want to hike unless dressed for it with the proper shoes, etc. Going downhill wouldn't be too bad I guess.

I would like to theorize that she was deceased when someone found her, robbed her of her shoes and purse, and just left her there. Afterall, why would a robber report a dead body to the cops?

That would definitely explain no purse or shoes. The shoes may have been just the robber's size or some type of designer shoe he/she could resell. If this UID were on vacation she could have been carrying a fair amount of cash in her purse.

That would definitely explain no purse or shoes. The shoes may have been just the robber's size or some type of designer shoe he/she could resell. If this UID were on vacation she could have been carrying a fair amount of cash in her purse.

But therein lies the question -- wtf was she doing under the tram in the first place?! Didn't someone say the terrain under the tram is horrible?

I would like to theorize that she was deceased when someone found her, robbed her of her shoes and purse, and just left her there. Afterall, why would a robber report a dead body to the cops?

Or passed out or knocked out.....

Here's what little I know about the tram: it originates in downtown Gatlinburg and runs to the top of the mountain (true?). According to the Doe link:

On Dec. 22, 1974 an unidentified woman's body was discovered under the Tramway down the mountain from the Ober Gatlinburg parking lot.

So does that mean her body was found lower than the parking lot? If so, is the terrain less rough there? What else is in that area? It almost seems as if she sat down and was waiting for someone.

Here is video footage of the tram descending the mountain. If she was found down the mountain from the parking lot, does that mean she was found closer to the area found near the end of this clip? Or is there another parking lot farther up the mountain?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3Rk73R93c

I am 98% certain the parking lot is at the TOP of the tramway, not at the bottom. The bottom of the tramway is smack dab on the Parkway which is the main drag of Gatlinburg and is WAY too expensive real estate to be a parking lot, plus, I don't recall one being there last time I was at the bottom of the tramway.

The directions to the bottom and top of the tramways seem to confirm this http://www.obergatlinburg.com/plan-your-visit/getting-here

So yes, she would have been found lower than the parking lot.

ETA: There is a lot at both ends, but she couldn't have been beneath the bottom lot and under the tramway at the same time, so my conclusion of her being under the top lot is correct, but my guess that there was no lot at the bottom is now.

I am 98% certain the parking lot is at the TOP of the tramway, not at the bottom. The bottom of the tramway is smack dab on the Parkway which is the main drag of Gatlinburg and is WAY too expensive real estate to be a parking lot, plus, I don't recall one being there last time I was at the bottom of the tramway.

The directions to the bottom and top of the tramways seem to confirm this http://www.obergatlinburg.com/plan-your-visit/getting-here

So yes, she would have been found lower than the parking lot.

ETA: There is a lot at both ends, but she couldn't have been beneath the bottom lot and under the tramway at the same time, so my conclusion of her being under the top lot is correct, but my guess that there was no lot at the bottom is now.

Thank you! Confusing. I drove thru this area about 15-20 years ago but wasn't aware of the tram. I was basing that on the idea that she could have been behind this: https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?panoid=vfjiNhTCNr2YtdFSrqOijw&cbp=0,297.407575432647,,0,0

But you're right; then she wouldn't be lower from the parking lot.

Here's what little I know about the tram: it originates in downtown Gatlinburg and runs to the top of the mountain (true?). According to the Doe link:

So does that mean her body was found lower than the parking lot? If so, is the terrain less rough there? What else is in that area? It almost seems as if she sat down and was waiting for someone.

Here is video footage of the tram descending the mountain. If she was found down the mountain from the parking lot, does that mean she was found closer to the area found near the end of this clip? Or is there another parking lot farther up the mountain?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3Rk73R93c

There are a ton of cabins on that mountain. That's what is muddying the water up for me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back