TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]These are not necessarily reasons to stop a public search in Holly's case, but reasons IMHO from other cases....

---there's evidence to suggest missing person is a runaway

---credible sightings of missing person

---missing person found safe

---suspect is unstable and LE is waiting for him/them to leave her alone where she's captive

---LE is negotiating a ransom

---already know who the perp is and are observing him 24/7

---LE has exhausted what they consider the boundaries of the search area

---found evidence to suggest she is no longer in TN

---found no evidence to suggest she ever actually entered the woods

---found her deceased but not revealing that to the public to see if the perp returns to check that spot (discussed already and so unlikely)

---helicopters, tracking dogs, sonar, and/or infrared yielded nothing

---missing person made a call saying her captor(s) ordered the search called off or she would be killed

---a second witness heard the missing person scream and LE was able to determine that it came from a road near the woods, not IN the woods.

---upon further questioning and more consideration, the original ear-witness to the scream realized it didn't come from the woods, just BY the woods, or that she was mistaken altogether.

---several neighbors were outside at the time and heard no scream.

---too risky for public safety to encourage them to search --- potential accidents.

---too risky for public safety for them to search, if LE is concerned about them coming upon the perp's hide-out

---untrained public searchers who are angry might be too aggressive if they encounter a suspect

---untrained searchers may not make sure they are getting enough sleep and might make mistakes that lead to injuries

---LE waiting for more information

---maybe the blood was neither the missing person's nor even human and LE believes the blood was some staging by someone

---with abducted person not dropping her purse, etc., and if the blood wasn't human, maybe they're re-evaluating the whole case

---LE knows exactly who did it and realizes a ground search makes no sense. (For example, In Australia, when police had a good idea of what had happened, they called the search off:
http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...-kiesha-abrahams/story-e6frfkvr-1225902635624)

Again, these are off-the-top of my head OPINIONS of reasons to call off a search. Hope I haven't offended ---- e.g., I KNOW (IMHO) in Holly's case it's ridiculous to even use the word "runaway".

[/FONT]

my opinions only, no facts here:

Although this does not apply to the Holly Bobo case (in my judgment)- what if law enforcement became suspicious that a potential suspect was involved with the public searches? If I were the criminal in a case like this, I admit it would occur to me to join the search party and plant confusing and unrelated evidence for others around me to find. The reason I don't believe this applies to the Holly Bobo case is that only a couple of pieces of evidence were reported found and they sound like legitimate finds.

It is where you heard it... if you look at my link to that thread... you discuss it during that conversation. Might not be till the first page of the following thread, but you are on there. :seeya:

:seeya: It seems like ages ago! I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind...:great:

Thank you, Ms Facetiious. Using the WS link you provided, I found that the 'sometimes things aren't as they appear' was something that one poster related as something they heard on the Openline show in a Mark Gwyn TBI interview.

I went searching for a video or news article to confirm it, but I couldn't find one. News Channel 5 does have other Openline videos on their site, but not that one. I contacted them and asked them if it was available. I'll let y'all know if I hear back, and what they say.

Here's the original source of the info:

04-26-2011, 08:30 PM sunshine33

Some notes on Openline for those who arent able to watch:

Pretty much same stuff.
Most callers questioning why brother didn't help her if he saw her being led into woods. In response, Mark Gwyn said he can't go into details of the case; they know more than "whats out there"; "sometimes things are not as they appear" "we're going to turn over every rock, no matter where it leads we will follow."

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TN TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #16

Thank you also to the others who helped me with this. I'd been going crazy trying to find it!

In some cases where sexual motivations and possible assault are suspected, the name of the victim starts to be protected as the case progresses, and LE uses it less and less...that is the only correlation I can come up with about the relative silence from LE and do not mean to imply anything about this case.

Not to redirect the conversation, but I have been wondering about campus security. Does anyone know what that situation is? Is there any? If so, do they background check? Is it 24/7, or only when classes are in session? TIA for anyone who knows this.

When the school was discussed a while ago, the term "campus" is a bit generous. Its kind of like the modern equivalent of the old time little red schoolhouse. I can't imagine its 24/7 I dont know any college that is open 24/7 per se at least for classes. I live next to a State University here in Florida and classes go from about 7 AM until 6 PM (which would get out around 9:30 PM). Im not sure what you mean about background checks but generally those take time and is not something that you would do for a visitor. Basically from photos you just drive up to this smallish building, park, and walk inside. Its about the size of a big Walgreens or a small Wal Mart tops.

In some cases where sexual motivations and possible assault are suspected, the name of the victim starts to be protected as the case progresses, and LE uses it less and less...that is the only correlation I can come up with about the relative silence from LE and do not mean to imply anything about this case.

Well they do that with minors. So if a minor goes missing they publicize their name but if that person is found and it becomes a sex crime, then the name is not used any more. I have not seen any less use of Holly's name really... there is just less coverage of her story. Everything that I have seen uses her name. She is not a minor so there would not be a legal reason not to publish it anyway.

Well they do that with minors. So if a minor goes missing they publicize their name but if that person is found and it becomes a sex crime, then the name is not used any more. I have not seen any less use of Holly's name really... there is just less coverage of her story. Everything that I have seen uses her name. She is not a minor so there would not be a legal reason not to publish it anyway.

Well, in Canada anyway...
There was a case last year with a missing woman, her name was everywhere for a month...then she was found alive and her name vanished from all reports thereafter as she had been sexually assaulted. And rape victims here in US often are anonymous.
Anyway it was just a thought...don't know what else to think. I can't recall too many missing persons cases where no one wants to talk about the case or the missing person.

my opinions only, no facts here:

Although this does not apply to the Holly Bobo case (in my judgment)- what if law enforcement became suspicious that a potential suspect was involved with the public searches? If I were the criminal in a case like this, I admit it would occur to me to join the search party and plant confusing and unrelated evidence for others around me to find. The reason I don't believe this applies to the Holly Bobo case is that only a couple of pieces of evidence were reported found and they sound like legitimate finds.

That's a good point; there would've been opportunities and temptations for the suspect to leave many more false trails. I also don't know if a public searcher would be able to maneuver the other team members slightly away from a small area he doesn't want them to check?

Re: the scream.... Except for blogs, forums, discussions, and online-non-mainstream media, I haven't been able to find a news organization that reports the neighbor hearing a scream as a fact. Does anyone know the source? I searched online a lot. Maybe it too was in a news video...

When the school was discussed a while ago, the term "campus" is a bit generous. Its kind of like the modern equivalent of the old time little red schoolhouse. I can't imagine its 24/7 I dont know any college that is open 24/7 per se at least for classes. I live next to a State University here in Florida and classes go from about 7 AM until 6 PM (which would get out around 9:30 PM). Im not sure what you mean about background checks but generally those take time and is not something that you would do for a visitor. Basically from photos you just drive up to this smallish building, park, and walk inside. Its about the size of a big Walgreens or a small Wal Mart tops.

Thanks Carla. I actually meant- do they have ANY security. And if they do- do they background check those individuals?

Let's just say for the sake of argument that Holly was abducted for sex trafficking. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case....but let's consider the possibility.

I watched a show about this a couple months ago...and really wish I could recall the name of it. I do know this subject was featured on AMW not long ago also. In one case, the young woman was approached about a job....and met a couple in a public restaurant to discuss the details with them. She immediately got a bad feeling about the couple and told them, "I'm chilly and left my sweater in the car....I'm going to go get it, I'll be right back." When she went outside, two men grabbed her and threw her into a car and sped away. They were working with the couple inside the restaurant in the sex trade business. She was eventually allowed to call home but only to tell them she had decided to leave home because she had found a great job...and was doing fine. She was allowed to call regularly, supervised, of course. Her parents felt something was wrong at first, but as time went by, they felt more comfortable about things because she continued to call them to tell them she was ok. She did finally get free of this horrible sex ring...but it was a miracle she did.

So let's say something like this is going on with Holly. We know she was taken...but what if she has called her family and said, "I'm ok...everything is fine," but they know that is not true. They are trying to keep in contact with her until they can find her...or whoever is holding her. The parents aren't talking because they want to keep this contact with her...and LE is not saying much because they know she is alive, and they simply need to locate her. If the family or LE talks too much publicly, maybe they are fearful that her abductors would kill her....so they are silent, while searching for Holly's location.

This story may sound ridiculous...but I'm running out of scenarios.

Has anyone even see the Bobo family lately? Are they still in darden or have they gone missing also? I have seen nothing at all about them.

OK, apparently the Jackson Sun has a video where a local sheriff confirms a neighbor heard a scream.

It seems when asked who saw Holly being abducted, Sheriff Wyatt said, “It was a neighbor that lives just up the road there from the house. She didn’t see it but heard the screams of the young lady as she was leaving the house.” I can't access the video at this time, but it's viewable from the casesignal link at the bottom here.

It turns out a number of main stream media wrote reports incorporating statements from that interview with Sheriff Wyatt, including an ABC news affiliate. Link to various articles...

http://casesignal.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/holly-bobo-timeline/

I was beginning to wonder if it was really a fact.

Could the screams heard be from Hollys mother? Wasnt she there before LE arrived? So much info has changed from Sheriff Wyatt's first statements hard to decide what to believe anymore.

Could the screams heard be from Hollys mother? Wasnt she there before LE arrived? So much info has changed from Sheriff Wyatt's first statements hard to decide what to believe anymore.

It's getting difficult for me to keep track of what has really occurred. We know that at the beginning of a "breaking news story" there are almost always inaccuracies. Over time the reports (for ex., number of people hurt in a natural disaster, number of gunmen in a horrific school shooting, etc.) get more precise. I even thought I read at some point early on that Clint made a 911 call and that a woman (unidentified) in the house made another call. I'll see if I can hunt down a source for that early statement. It seems reasonable that it could've been Holly's mother screaming when she arrived and saw blood in the carport area... I didn't think of that.

Searching for any news on Holly... found this:
http://www./viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979352492

Interesting that the phone number for the Holly Bobo Tactical SAR has a different phone number than the Sheriff's Office, and in fact, has a completely different area code.

FYI.... the author of that article finds her info from the Parsons gossip site.

why has this case all but evaporated in terms of news? I think of Holly and her family daily...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther