Found Safe TN - Katharine & Robert Baskin, Murfreesboro, 1 March 1989

I do know that there was some type of preliminary hearing in TN for Marvin Maple scheduled yesterday, but that is all I know. I hope the kids are ok and maybe involved with take root, an excellent organization for children who have been abducted by a family member.

I wonder if the kids are still in California, even though Marvin Maple was sent back to TN. What a tragedy. And he did have help most likely from an organization that helps hide kids. If they were home schooled I hope they put two and two together and start realizing they were hidden to keep their parents from finding them. A tragedy all the way around.

stockholm syndrome...the kids will probably come around, but it will take a while. They probably still see their biological parents as bad people.

Grandparents flew the coop with the kids and no one could locate the grandparents?

They didn't work? Drive cars? Live in a house, apartment? No credit cards? No schools?
No pension checks? No social security claims? No contact with any other relatives for 20 years?

Come on, they had to support themsleves and the kids and they had to get money from somewhere and live somewhere and drive a vehicle for the last 20 years. How come no one could find these grandparents?

Grandparents flew the coop with the kids and no one could locate the grandparents?

They didn't work? Drive cars? Live in a house, apartment? No credit cards? No schools?
No pension checks? No social security claims? No contact with any other relatives for 20 years?

Come on, they had to support themsleves and the kids and they had to get money from somewhere and live somewhere and drive a vehicle for the last 20 years. How come no one could find these grandparents?

Um, obviously they changed their names (several times in fact), somehow (illegally) obtained drivers' licenses & etc. with their new names. Homeschooled the kids when they were younger to keep them out of the public eye and to not have to provide information to schools. They were young enough grandparents to pass the kids off as theirs.

Apparently Marvin sold cars for a living once settle in San Jose.

Once everyone's names were changed it was very hard to find them. They could have been anywhere in the world.

There was one sighting in the summer of 1989, in Santa Clara, CA. It was reported after the airing of a segment about the case on the t.v. show Unsolved Mysteries in early 1990. By then, they were gone and unable to be located. In the summer of 1989 they were going by the names Ray and Sandra Farmer and/or Harvey and Joan Wilson.

According to their relatives, they had no contact with them.

Does anyone know if the parents reunited with the kids? It is so tragic that they waited so long and the kids seem to not want anything to do with them.

Rutherford cold case featured in new book

Efforts by Rutherford County Sheriff's Cold Case detectives who successfully located two people missing for 20 years are profiled in a new book available in May.

[snip]

Sharp, the father of two children, and Goodwin, the father of three children, were credited with helping locate the children, who were in their late 20s when found, and their grandfather in February 2009 in San Jose, Calif. Marvin Maple was accused of kidnapping the children but entered a best interest plea to two counts of custodial interference in May 2009 and placed on four years probation.

Author Carole Moore interviewed Sharp last summer for her book, "The Last Place You'd Look: True Stories of Missing Persons and the People Who Search for Them," expected to be released in May.

More: http://www.dnj.com/article/20110329/NEWS01/103290313/1002/Rutherford-cold-case-featured-new-book

Every once in a while I wonder if they ever reunited and as of now the answer is no. Mom DB has a blog and has said they have not. Grandfather MM passed away this year - his obituary listed all of his children except DB. Son in law made a comment on the guestbook about him being a hero. DB's blog stated that she wasn't even told he passed away, found out later on the internet. Daughter JB has a relationship with other members of the family, but not her parents. The entire thing is just off.

Yes, it is off. I am very close with DB. Her birth family is nuts and are known in the area for being so. JB now lives in Australia and works for Linkedin. There is no telling what they told the kids, but DB's family helped them over the years. My guess is that DB's mother had BPD and or Narcissistic Disorder. She was an outstanding manipulator who demanded things be her way or there would be hell to pay. Things have been so twisted in their stories for so long I honestly think they've come to believe their own lies, further, I think they'd rather die than to own up to ruining the lives of so many people.

Sitcoms Online message board has an interesting thread on the Unsolved Mysteries subforum about this case

Yes, it is off. I am very close with DB. Her birth family is nuts and are known in the area for being so. JB now lives in Australia and works for Linkedin. There is no telling what they told the kids, but DB's family helped them over the years. My guess is that DB's mother had BPD and or Narcissistic Disorder. She was an outstanding manipulator who demanded things be her way or there would be hell to pay. Things have been so twisted in their stories for so long I honestly think they've come to believe their own lies, further, I think they'd rather die than to own up to ruining the lives of so many people.

Absolutely. And once you tell someone, esp a child, over and over something they start to believe it. Old memories get replaced with lies. So...horribly sad.

This is a case I have followed for years. Just curious if the kids every met with the parents. So sad.

This is a case I have followed for years. Just curious if the kids every met with the parents. So sad.
No. They are firmly convinced their grandparents were correct. It’s my uneducated opinion that they were convinced of this and brainwashed repeatedly and are convinced of things that there isn’t evidence of. Some will not agree but I’ve personally seen how easily children can be convinced of things happening that did not and how they insist they remember things that truly never happened.

I’m not making Debbie and her husband out to be saints or perfect-And they could have serious flaws. However there isn’t evidence of the accusations against them being true. Absence of evidence doesn’t necessarily mean something didn’t happen, but with the youngest child being left behind and with their adopting another child over the years, I’m inclined to believe that the worst of the accusations aren’t true. However as long as the now adult children believe them to be true, there will not be a reunion ever.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back