TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
December, I'm sorry for all the pain & suffering you and your family have gone through. I live in the Woodbine area and have been aware of Kathy's death for several years. You were asking about information on Coleman Park. It so happens I discovered that they have a Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coleman-Park-Community-Center/162974327067306

The top photo on that page shows a dedication plaque which is dated 1939. Due to the angle of the picture, it's very hard to read the rest. Then I realized that I could just drive over there (duh) and read it:

"This park is dedicated to the people of Woodbine by Mrs. Laura J. Coleman in memory of her husband William Coleman".

I also found a map I had of1958 Nashville. It's amazing the changes in 55 years! If I discover anything else, I'll let you know.

December, I'm sorry for all the pain & suffering you and your family have gone through. I live in the Woodbine area and have been aware of Kathy's death for several years. You were asking about information on Coleman Park. It so happens I discovered that they have a Facebook Page:

The top photo on that page shows a dedication plaque which is dated 1939. Due to the angle of the picture, it's very hard to read the rest. Then I realized that I could just drive over there (duh) and read it:

"This park is dedicated to the people of Woodbine by Mrs. Laura J. Coleman in memory of her husband William Coleman".

I also found a map I had of1958 Nashville. It's amazing the changes in 55 years! If I discover anything else, I'll let you know.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I appreciate it. Sometimes this all dredges up a lot of sad memories. They are kind of indirect for me, but several people died in 1969 in our family or experienced some sort of difficulty. Kathy's murder is the worst event. But, really thinking about it makes me see how people barely had time to breathe before something else happened. I feel bad I never made these connections because I never wrote it all down.

I mention this because I wonder if this is what happened in some of our other cold cases... there were so many things going on within the family beyond anyone's control. And fewer and fewer people were even available to champion the murder victim.

But, I think predators see any sign of weakness. Maybe they know when a family is a little more distracted. Or when a child is dealing with grief that makes her quiet and shy... the kind of little girl maybe people at a busy skating rink would not even remember.

Sorry to go off on a tangent... a lot of thoughts are going through my mind.

But, back to your post... THANK YOU for finding out about Coleman Park.

So... it was there at the time... I wonder if there were any buildings or places to hide. I know they just built a new building, so maybe the place it totally different now.

One route people theorized she might go took her past Coleman Park.

I have wondered about these friends she was supposed to meet. It is as if they evaporated. Were they really her friends? Or was it a lure of some sort? I know that sounds out there, but it happens now and then. And maybe they did not know what would happen to her. (speculation)

BTW, this park looks pretty big in photos. Is it?

Thank you for going to read the plaque. That is actually a very sweet dedication.

Has anyone made contact with the police dept. that has the evidence ( hopefully)?

Today is the first time I have read about Kathy. It truely is a gut wrenching case and I feel so very sad for her family over all of these years.

I hope you manage to find answers December.

Today is the first time I have read about Kathy. It truely is a gut wrenching case and I feel so very sad for her family over all of these years.

I hope you manage to find answers December.

Thank you, Gia2.

I appreciate your interest in Kathy's story.

I've been reading through Kathy's thread for the past several days. This is just horrific. My heart goes out to this little girl -- she so deserves justice. Thank you so much December for sharing your memories and insight (I can only imagine how painful this must be - (((big hug to you))) -- your courage is a beautiful testimony to the love you have for your family and your passion to lead this case to resolution is remarkable.

I have no expertise (just a novice sleuth) in matters like this, but a few things caught my attention. I see that LE (Miller) mentioned that there is a possibility of DNA being a factor in Kathy's case. So, as I read and re-read the posts and articles about the crime, I wonder if the plaid cloth (used to tie this child's hands) may in fact be something that the animal (who did this) had with him. Could LE have discovered deposited bodily fluids (saliva, sweat, blood, or semen) on this cloth -- left during the commission of this crime? I keep imagining that this cloth was part of his shirt? Could this also be why the initial poi was no longer a suspect -- did EWA's blood type/DNA not match evidence found on the plaid cloth? And that's why the investigators moved on???

I have to say, I'm really hung up on the plaid cloth -- if it was the killer's (not Kathy's) then photos of it should have been shown to the public. All it takes is one person to remember/recognize it and phone in a tip. Was there any suggestion that this cloth was Kathy's?

I also struggle with why a perp would take a child for 36+ hours only to return her to an area where he had kidnapped her from -- and so close to where she would have been walking. This seems like a big risk to me, especially if he's not from the neighborhood or immediate area. Why take the chance of being caught with Kathy in her own neighborhood? He had to consider the risk of being seen and possibly stopped and questioned by LE. I'm thinking that the KK and Skating Rink area had to be patrolled heavily during those days -- seeking witnesses, suspicious men driving alone, or just anybody out at night who could have seen something the night Kathy was taken, etc. I honestly think he must be a person who knew the area well enough to know when he could place her behind the KK. IMO, if he wasn't from that neighborhood, I think Kathy would have been left elsewhere. I really think that the perpetrator is a neighbor. Someone within a short distance to the empty lot-- maybe even within eye sight of the lot. I think she was kept close by the entire time and placed where she would be found (maybe he wanted to be sure that his work was viewed --this makes me sick to say). Makes me want to know more about who discovered Kathy on Dec 2nd. I suppose they were cleared? I think Kathy's murderer "fit" in with the locals (cab driver or father/grandfather of a friend). Maybe he was looked at by police but offered an alibi or passed a lie detector and was cleared.

Again, December I am so sorry that your family endured the loss of Kathy and the torment of not having answers/justice for so long. I pray that will change soon.

I will. I was so nervous my asthma started acting up. I hope they don't think I'm a weirdo. (embarrassed)

That has happened to me too. If I get worked up or nervous, and worked up, I forget to breathe! Then I take a breath between words, and I sound like a weirdo!

Nola, thank you for your interest in Kathy. I also appreciate your thoughtfulness of me, my family, and Kathy. It is nice to read.

I have thought about this plaid cloth. The Scene article was pretty thorough... I believe this cloth may not have come from anything Kathy was wearing or was known to have with her.

I believe when Kathy was first taken, it was in a car. They perhaps, at that time, shoved one of her socks in her mouth to keep her from screaming (or it could have been something they had). I say 'they', it could just be 'he'. Maybe he had the plaid cloth at the ready and quickly bound her hands as well.

The 200 acre property that in 1990 became a nature park/zoo was then only having a big house with two old ladies as well as stables and other outbuildings. this was very close (by car). the stables would be a good place to commit a murder. (this is speculation)

I wish iI knew what was on the other sides of the weeded lot. we know a house was on one side... then kk was on the other (but up a bit, something may have been in between). a storage place is in between the new kk and it now (if gooGoogle maps is accurate)... was there anything back then? the road runs on the other side. would people have taken note if a van had parked there? but there may be something across the road. and that still leaves another side.

if we knew what was there, maybe he lived OR worked in one of these places. so, he wanted to be able to enjoy the commotion when the police arrived.

the weeds were high, but they were dead. maybe she just could be seen by anyone who looked at the lot. the guy at first thought she wasn't real, that she was a manniquin. for one thing, that iI can think of, her legs were in weird positions. the one was drawn up, but the other was in an odd position as well.

I would like to know if the police questioned her as well as kk male employees. they were talking to cab drivers. specifically checker cab drivers. idk if those cabs were bigger or one had been seen in the area or if most cabs then were checker cabs.

maybe a checker cab was parked near the lot at some point.

or she could have even been in her own neighborhood. it is so hard to say. unless police go into a house, they have no idea if the normal appearance of the outside really extends to the insane.or even iif one room is normal.. are they all?

my feeling is there was a primary perp and maybe someone that helped him in some way. this is maybe muddying up the police's view of what took place. (speculation)

he wanted his work to be seen.

it was a way to rekill her. murderers like to do that, from I've seen. i've notice they derive pleasure from other people's horror and grief. and from all of the children being scared.

because i think they had a good lure or a good place staked out, so they knew they could still get victims.

aIthough, i speculate that something had gone on in the murderer's life to make the attack extra violent.either that or there was another murderer...

a lot of this post is me thinking aloud...

but you are right, the plaid cloth may have been a key. it may still be. what if it came from the murderer's home?

thank you for reading and most especially, thank you for your prayers.

That has happened to me too. If I get worked up or nervous, and worked up, I forget to breathe! Then I take a breath between words, and I sound like a weirdo!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

the number i called was

615 862 7329

it goes straight to the cold case unit

in case anyone has info

December,
What are your thought about the topix forum poster --the one posting that she lived close to the KK, her dad being a suspect, taking a lie detector test & passing, etc? Her comments keep coming back to me about her asking her mom if her dad (cab driver) was capable of this crime.

December,
What are your thought about the topix forum poster --the one posting that she lived close to the KK, her dad being a suspect, taking a lie detector test & passing, etc? Her comments keep coming back to me about her asking her mom if her dad (cab driver) was capable of this crime.

Yes. Me, too.

now, I know nothing of this man.. so maybe he is innocent. I don't even know his name. So, I can't put it here.

However, the police were shaking down cab drivers right away. Now, here is a little girl walking who has $1 in her purse. Why cab drivers? Why is that where their minds immediately go? there was a reason for that. maybe they wrote down their reasoning at the time and it is in her file.. IDK..

I see that phrase "(_) could do a lot of things, but not that" a lot with her case. I don't necessarily see it as much with other cases, so it's odd how much it comes up. that sounds a little like a certain famous river! I imagine people in my family were questioned as well because they were men and they knew Kathy.

But, if asked, I would say, "I know they did not hurt Kathy" because I know they wouldn't! I also do not think "they would do a lot of things" because they wouldn't!

that phrase pops up a lot with this case. it is a pitifully weak denial by someone who just isn't sure. now, maybe they were shaken up at the time just by this horrible event and then the police coming by and then reporters.. that is possible.

But, someone who said it.. at least one person... a person who was speaking about themselves not someone else.. was lying. jmo

I also noticed that this same named poster had similar remarks in the comment section of the Scene article. Makes me wonder if she has harbored fears that her dad was involved. There must be something there, for her to ask the question out loud in the first place and then post this on two different sites....hmmmm. :dunno:
I have a hunch that the killer was incorrectly cleared early on. I pray that whomever is assigned this case starts over from the beginning.

Deleted as I needed to read from beginning before opening my big mouth:blushing:

So many questions I would love to ask LE:
How long had Kathy's body been laying in the vacant lot before being found on Dec 2nd? What was the perp's window of opportunity to place her there? Had the lot been searched in between Nov 29 - Dec 1? Do they think he used a vehicle; were there tire tracks near the body or anywhere on the lot? Was a taxi seen in that area on Nov 29? Is that why they focused on Checkered Cab drivers?
Did Kathy leave home at 7:45 pm that night or, is that when her mom reported her missing? If she left late, she might have been more apt to accept a ride in the cold and to arrive sooner to have more skating time.
If there was blood found "here and there" in the lot, wouldn't that mean that she was still alive and bleeding at that location? Or, was the blood "here and there" on her clothing?
Gosh, this case should be solvable!
Such a horrific crime. Amazing that the funeral attendant found the sock in her throat and not the coroner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009