TN TN - Lauryn Dickens, 9 mos, Memphis, 7 Sept 2010 - *S. Dickens guilty*

Need a minute to determine how I feel about that... Guilty, but not of first degree? Why? Because they can't prove premeditation? What about the nature of the crime, just simply the horrific nature of killing a child? Wouldn't that cause it to be considered first degree? Can someone explain it to me?

ETA: thought about it and just happy she didn't get away with it. She could have, we all know it happens, and they have still not found Lauryn, so I will take the lesser charges.

Need a minute to determine how I feel about that... Guilty, but not of first degree? Why? Because they can't prove premeditation? What about the nature of the crime, just simply the horrific nature of killing a child? Wouldn't that cause it to be considered first degree? Can someone explain it to me?

Yes, I think with first degree murder there has to be premeditation. Unfortunately the nature of the crime or that it is a child doesn't come into play I don't think.

I am glad for this verdict though. This case had NO body. Some people think that if there is no body they can't convict people, but obviously they can.

Thanks for all the updates...
I am grateful the verdict was guilty too, even if not first-degree. I think not being able to find Lauren made it harder to try to get that. Hoping for longest possible sentence.

BBM I have come in late on this case.. so let me try to wrap my head around this. Baby missing, mom let a lengthy bit of time go by before telling anyone. Lies to everyone about where the child is. Lies to the police over and over.. no body to prove anything with.. no provable premeditation, cadaver hits by dogs in the trunk of the car and still the jury has enough belief in the evidence to find her guilty of child abuse murder, just not first degree. Me thinks this defense team forgot to lower the chair.

Hear YE Hear Ye.. PINELLAS 12... got yer ears o good buddies????? THIS IS HOW ITS DONE... if you dont think the one charge can be proved.. you go to the next one and next.. ya don't just toss yer hands up and throw out ALL the evidence. Its called.."DELIBERATION"

good for this little one... been asking my angel to help you find your way Lauryn

wild

Tweet from News reporter
Jason Miles‏@JMilesWMC
#Breaking: Memphis mom Shakara Dickens just admitted on stand during sentencing hearing that she smothered daughter and put her in dumpster

Thinking of Lauryn. Although her case is closed and her killer did not get away with murder, it's still sad to know that she will most likely never be found.

Find a Grave

72171967_130931048105.jpg
72171967_130931043698.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member