TN TN - Maury Co, BlkFem 15-25, UP1588, Italian-made wedge shoes, clothes, puppy bones nearby, Feb'75

00CB3C42-D31D-4F99-A165-272844FA5511.jpeg6DAF59CD-861E-4FA7-A57A-9197BFDD3AC7.jpegF66940A6-2BB6-4D44-B25E-8A17120EDC92.jpeg5638E31E-618A-4176-8FF9-60B8127DDDA1.jpeg78DF62D2-1D94-457A-87DC-EB6D3894C810.jpeg7B8F486C-7B53-413B-9974-4CF90F67A2AA.jpeg
Reconstructions of the victim by NCMEC; victim's pants.

Date of Discovery: February 14, 1975
Location of Discovery: Maury County, Tennessee
Estimated Date of Death: 6-9 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide

Estimated Age: 15-25 years old
Race/Sex: Black/Female
Height: 5'3" - 5'5"
Weight: 127 - 137 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Healed rib fractures from previous injury. Fresh fractures with no healing on both pubic rami and both sides of ribs.

Clothing: Red shell blouse, black Italian-made wedge shoes and floral blue slacks, bra and underpants.

Circumstances of Discovery
Two hunters located the skeletal remains of the victim in a wooded area 2 miles up from Joe Brown Rd off Highway 99 East near I-65 in Maury County, Tennessee. She was possibly in an automobile accident or run over by a car. Miscellaneous bones from a puppy were also found near the body. Investigators believe she was most likely killed during the autumn of 1974.

After the release of a facial reconstruction in 2012, a man contacted police to report that the victim resembled a childhood friend. However, the callback number he provided was invalid and this lead has not developed any further.

Investigating Agencies
Maury County Sheriff's Office:
Detective Jerry Williams 931-375-8693 or 931-626-8907
JWilliams@maurycounty-tn.gov
Agency Case Number: UT75-3F
University of Tennessee: Lee Jantz
865-974-4408
ljantz@utk.edu
NCIC Case Number: U020020235

Dentals: Available. Super numerary UR molar (extra tooth) posterior to #1. All teeth unrestored with no signs of decay
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

Sources
NamUs UP1588
NCMEC 1184255
The Doe Network 907UFTN

Same 2 exclusions: Ila Maynard and Alice Jefferson

She still needs funding for her case so I'm bumping this.

This is an interesting case, I actually wrote a Medium article on it recently with some of my potential theories: Who Was Maury County Jane Doe?

I went on google earth and noticed that she died in close proximity to a truck stop which is a red flag for human trafficking in my book. I hope the DNA profile will get her identified (once it's funded)

I really want to see this Jane Doe identified.
I doubt she was ever reported missing... due to having many heal and unhealed fractures (not caused by her death) I think physical violence was a regular feature of her life. I think she was likely a victim of family violence, her partner or family member committed the violence. I really want to publicize the fund for this Jane Doe so can we get her name back. If we could get 400 people to donate $10 dollars each we would nearly have the total amount. As I live in New Zealand, I am unsure what local newspapers or organizations I should approach. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

This is the DNA Doe Project fund Goal for Jane Doe.
DDP Fund Goal: $4,300.
DNA Doe Project has established a special fundraising campaign in order to raise money for the special lab testing required to extract NA from the deceased’s remains, Please donate using this button. Thank you for your generous contribution to this important project.

I'm somewhat familiar with this area.

NAMUS LOCATION MAP

The body was found near Columbia, TN. It is approximately an hour south of Nashville, TN and a little more than an hour from Huntsville, AL. I'm unsure when I-65 South reached AL from TN. However, during this timeframe I believe if you were traveling in the area from Franklin or Spring Hill, you would drive down 31. Also I do not believe 412 was constructed in the 1970s.

Her body is in a rural area. You would have to know its there unless someone was traveling from AL using the back roads or rural highways and just stumbled on it.

It's even possible to reach the location coming south from Clarksville (Fort Campbell), if someone is driving through rural highways/roads. If they came from Columbia, they probably drove past the college. At night in the 70s it would be pitch black in that area.

This victim could've definitely lived in TN, KY or AL.

Last edited:
External images
image icon
Digital 3D reconstruction
image icon

Maury County Jane Doe​

Clothing found with the Maury County Jane Doe
On February 14, 1975, the virtually skeletonized remains of a black woman between the ages of 15 and 25 years were discovered in Maury County, Tennessee. Her body was found near a highway, leading investigators to believe that she may not have been a native of Tennessee.

An examination of the decedent's body indicated she most likely died six to nine months prior to the discovery of her body, thus making the most likely time of her death in the spring or summer of 1974. She was 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 5 inches in height and weighed between 127 and 137 pounds. She wore a red top decorated with a seashell design, blue pants with a floral design, undergarments, and wedgie shoes. Her hair was black and kinky; her eye color could not be determined. Her autopsy also noted a distinctive dental trait: she had an extra tooth in her upper jaw.[152] The victim had received several bone fractures during her life; two of which were fully healed at the time of her death. The unhealed fractures of the decedent were found in her pelvis and ribs.[153]

It is possible the decedent was either the victim of a car accident or had been intentionally run down by a car, as her unhealed bone injuries and the location of her body suggest.[154] The remains of a young dog were also found near her body, but it is not known if she owned the animal.[155]

The skull of Maury County Jane Doe was reconstructed by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in 2012.[156]

The DNA Doe Project was asked to assist with her identification in September 2020.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back