Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that allow him to sober up a little, getting the alcohol out of his stomach? Maybe not very quickly though?
According to Google, yes, but it depends on 1) how much alcohol exited his stomach and 2) the timing, basically since Riley puked so shortly after drinking, the alcohol that exited him had not had time to metabolize, that is to say, the alcohol that was making him drunk was not the alcohol he puked out.

As I understand it

I thought one of Riley's frat mates tried to follow him out? That's what I heard at the start. He left one of his friends to pay his bar tab but by the time the boy got out on the street, Riley had vanished.

Is this no longer accurate?
I think the current understanding is that one friend went with him to the exit but then went back inside. My understanding is that his friends thought he was okay to get back to the hotel so they didn’t go with him, and that he told them he’d be okay as well. I don’t think they’re at fault either, I think it’s a tragic accident most likely.

Exactly. We should be teaching young people to have their own back. Like sure these people might be your friends but do you sincerely trust your life being in their hands? Wouldn’t you feel safer with your life in your own hands? It’s a form of self care to look after yourself in these situations. When I look back at when I was younger and would drink too much and rely on the people around me to get home safe, etc. I can see now that holy cow I really did not care about myself a whole lot in those moments. You don’t want to take the gamble to see if other people will keep you safe when the stakes are that high.
Yes!!!

Whatever it was specifically, he was so intoxicated that the next bar he went to wouldn’t allow him in. Bars can kick people out for any reason at all, provided it isn’t discriminatory. I’ve seen people thrown out for a lot less than what likely happened here. It sounded to me like even that family friend understood the bar’s reasoning.

Riley was able to pull it together when he encountered that police officer. You see that behavior with alcohol but I wouldn’t expect it with some sort of roofie.

That’s besides the fact that there’s no point drugging some guy in the presence of his friends, when you have no reasonable expectation you’re going to be able to get to him alone.

He wasn’t followed. He wasn’t robbed. It’s such an unnecessary incredible reach when you have a scenario that happens all the time. People get drunk and drown.
Plus, it hasn't been verified that he was kicked out for being intoxicated, so the over-serving claims may be moot.
As far as him being denied entrance to the bar across the street, it's may be as simple as a phone call/text from a Luke's employee to an employee at the other bar to BOLO. It's not unheard of. The bar/service industry is pretty tightknit and they tend to look out for each other.
IMO.

Plus, it hasn't been verified that he was kicked out for being intoxicated, so the over-serving claims may be moot.
As far as him being denied entrance to the bar across the street, it's may be as simple as a phone call/text from a Luke's employee to an employee at the other bar to BOLO. It's not unheard of. The bar/service industry is pretty tightknit and they tend to look out for each other.
IMO.
Yeah. I think he did something wrong that also showed he was intoxicated, but he wasn’t kicked out just because he was intoxicated. It was implied there was some sort of event.

I think his BAC just kept rising and rising afterwards.

Criminal cases, yes.
I disagree. If they know where he went in then they can figure how fast the currant is and where he could/would likely end up. And concentrate the search along those lines. i also think they are dismissing the homeless population, as if they don't have the mental capacity to understand what they see and hear. I just have major issues with all that way of thinking.

And the burden is on the victim to prove the seller knew or should have known, per your post.

MOO
(Snipped for focus)

This is the case with every law. Prove by a preponderance of the evidence/innocent until proven guilty.

There are videos, eyewitnesses, his cellphone pings, the discovery of his bank card near the Cumberland River and, now, there’s Strain’s shirt. But almost two weeks after the visiting student walked away from a Nashville nightspot and vanished, there’s still no sign of him.

Chris Salisbury, an advocate for Nashville-area homeless, shared new details Wednesday about the shirt that Strain was last seen wearing with NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield.

Salisbury said he was able to go and find surveillance information based on the homeless community and discovered that a homeless man named Ross was wearing Strain’s shirt — which had vomit on it — said he found the clothing item on a railing. However, where Ross says he found it doesn’t add up, according to Salisbury.

Strain’s mother and stepfather Michelle and Chris Whiteid told Banfield it wasn’t new information, as they had heard that rumor prior. Strain’s stepfather said vomit was not visible on his shirt in bodycam footage from an officer who briefly interacted with the college student the night he disappeared.
Has LE confiscated the shirt and tested it for DNA? Wouldn’t that help? Or did I miss that?

IMO.
I have never heard of this happening before, they are busy and I honestly can't see them texting/calling places around them to put out a BOLO on every person their tossing on any given night. Have you actually heard of this happening before? I'm honestly wondering...

I disagree. If they know where he went in then they can figure how fast the currant is and where he could/would likely end up. And concentrate the search along those lines. i also think they are dismissing the homeless population, as if they don't have the mental capacity to understand what they see and hear. I just have major issues with all that way of thinking.
There’s no evidence at all those people have been dismissed.

There are way too many variables to determine even within several miles, where he ended up. That’s even if you knew exactly where he went in.

There are biological components, the possibility of him getting caught up on the bottom or elsewhere, water level changes, varying currents, etc.

Just catching up.
IF the shirt thing is true, it does not necessarily mean there was foul play involved.
Riley may have taken it off after he threw up and it was subsequently found by a homeless person, then discarded on that "railing" and taken by a second homeless person.
Riley may have also been wearing something underneath.

I have never heard of this happening before, they are busy and I honestly can't see them texting/calling places around them to put out a BOLO on every person their tossing on any given night. Have you actually heard of this happening before? I'm honestly wondering...
Right. When we're talking 1,000 of patrons a night, what are all the bartenders, servers, bouncers and door men at every bar are on a group text they can keep constant track of while they are working? I doubt it as well.

The search has been relentless as the case gathers the attention of national news media and online sleuths.

A homeless person also may have been wearing Strain’s shirt with a vomit stain on it, according to witnesses, but Strain’s parents told NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield they weren’t sure that tracked, because that person was caught on camera with the shirt, but it didn’t appear to have a vomit stain.

“Somehow, Riley may have fallen into the river and was swept away by the current,” David Flagg, the director of operations for the United Cajun Navy, a volunteer disaster relief organization that is now assisting in the search for Strain, told WTVF. “The current was very, very swift on the day that he disappeared.”

Last edited:
(Snipped for focus)

This is the case with every law. Prove by a preponderance of the evidence/innocent until proven guilty.
The point though is the victim carries the burden to prove the seller/server knew she/he was selling to/serving a "visibly intoxicated person." The link on the dram laws you posted pointed out how hard this can be to prove. So it's not automatic liability to the server if a drunk has an accident after being served.
MOO

Last edited:
Just catching up.
IF the shirt thing is true, it does not necessarily mean there was foul play involved.
Riley may have taken it off after he threw up and it was subsequently found by a homeless person, then discarded on that "railing" and taken by a second homeless person.
Riley may have also been wearing something underneath.
Of course. If you're going to murder someone, you don't typically take their shirt afterwards. I'm interested in this throwing up thing though, as it opens a third explanation as to how he could have fallen in the river.

The point though is the victim carries the burden to prove the sellar knew she/he was selling to a "visibly intoxicated person." The link on the dram laws you posted pointed out how hard this can be to prove. So it's not automatic liability to the server if a drunk has an accident after being served.
MOO
Yes apologies for not being more specific. I thought that aspect would be assumed. It would have to be proven that the bar overserved the guest. Like the case of Samantha Milers family suing the bar that overserved the woman who hit their golf cart on their wedding day, killing the bride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeTarot