TN TN - Tabitha Tuders, 13, Nashville, 29 Apr 2003

Love/Hate Mail

Disappointed in the PD

Many thanks to the Nashville Scene for keeping the Tabitha Tuders story alive. I continue to be shocked at the disgusting treatment the police department has given her disappearance. This week's story ("Criminals Down the Street," Aug. 7) once again illustrates scenarios that police should have red-flagged from the beginning, and that should have convinced them early on that they weren't dealing with a runaway case. I credit the Scene's coverage with the resurgence of attention given by police and the media, and the refocusing of the case. This situation, along with other crime issues affecting our neighborhood, has made me lose confidence in interim police Chief Deb Faulkner. I encourage Mayor Purcell to aggressively continue his nationwide search for a new chief of police.

Cindy Acuff

816 Woodland St. (Nashville)

Tuders case leaves parents, police frustrated
Email to a Friend
Printer Friendly Version

More Links

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Tabitha Tuders tip site

More of today's stories More >>

Largest-Ever Blackout Hits Eastern U.S.

Many angered by Shumaker audit

Man wanted in child's death added to FBI Most Wanted

Convicted killer faces adult prison

Adult bookstore busted for violation

Lawmaker questions legality of Tennessee-Georgia partnership

Major drug round-up in local county

TVA not impacted by northeast power blackout

Widow pleads guilty to killing NFL husband

Man charged with attempted kidnapping of 11-year-old

August 14, 2003

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- For three days this summer, the neighborhood surrounding 1312 Lillian St. resembled a war zone -- dozens of camouflaged men trekked through yards, alleys and homes while a helicopter whirled above.

It wasn't combat but instead a search for any sign of Tabitha Tuders, a missing 13-year-old girl. Tabitha's parents, Bo and Debra appreciated the July effort by Nashville police -- but they wished it had come when their daughter vanished April 29 instead of 11 weeks later.

"They should've done it when she come up missing," said Bo Tuders, sitting in an easy chair at home as the search concluded July 18.

The Tuders don't deny that the police responded when they reported the seventh-grader was missing the afternoon she failed to show up for classes at Bailey Middle School.

In Bo's estimation, about 50 or so officers searched their working class neighborhood that night. But the nearly four months without their daughter has given the couple much time to wonder what might have happened had police approached the case differently.

The Tuders, whom police have cleared as suspects, always suspected someone snatched Tabitha and that she wasn't -- as police first thought -- a runaway.

The department didn't issue an Amber Alert -- a plan to galvanize the community to look for an endangered child -- because they said Tabitha's disappearance did not fit the criteria.

A police statement preceding the July operation marked the department's shift in thinking, "The focus of the investigation is leaning more toward the potential involvement of foul play."

Debra Tuders said police were told by family and friends that Tabitha showed none of the signs of a troubled teen, like personality changes.

"She was the same person up until the day she left," the mother said.

The parents tick off the things their daughter was excited about: participating in an event with her friends to raise money for arthritis research, new bedroom furniture and the A's on her last report card. Authorities also have found no indication Tabitha ran away.

"All we know for sure is we have a missing child," said Deborah Faulkner, Nashville's acting police chief.

Faulkner defends her department's actions and early skepticism about foul play, saying authorities had little to go on at first.

"It took about three days to nail down with the family what she had on when she was missing," Faulkner said.

The photos of Tabitha first supplied to police were a year old, not good enough when searching for a maturing 13-year-old, Faulkner said.

A family friend found more recent photos on film developed about two months after Tabitha went missing, she said. Police also weren't notified about Tabitha's disappearance until about 11 hours after Bo Tuders last saw her.

The Tuders family routine was normal April 29. Debra went to work at the Tom Joy Elementary School cafeteria, and Bo awakened Tabitha shortly before leaving for his job as a short-haul truck driver.

As always, his daughter told him she was awake and to turn the television to her favorite program, he recalled. She was supposed to get dressed and catch the bus for school.

"I went out the door to go to work and that's the last time I saw her," he said.

When Tabitha didn't come home that night, her concerned parents drove to the school, where a teacher said their daughter was absent that day. The Tuders called police.

The July police operation was a methodical grid search with officers and police dogs of the Tuders' neighborhood, including nearby Shelby Park and the Cumberland River. Police established their command post in the parking lot of the nearby Tennessee Titans stadium.

Police have questioned all sex offenders living in the area and reviewed every field report from the days leading up to Tabitha's disappearance, Faulkner said. When Tabitha's classmates returned to school last week, they got a letter from police asking for any help in solving the case.

"Every resource I can garner I've put on this," Faulkner said.

Yet some look at history and wonder if police would have responded differently had Tabitha lived in a more affluent part of Nashville.

When 9-year-old girl Marcia Trimble disappeared in 1975 while selling Girl Scout cookies in her well-to-do neighborhood, police immediately suspected an accident or a crime.

After 33 days of searching, authorities found her body in a neighbor's garage. The murder remains unsolved on the minds of many Nashvillians. Marcia's mother, Virginia, and Debra Tuders recently met, two women bonded by missing daughters despite differences in class.

Faulkner says the department wasn't influenced by where the Tuders live or work.

"People see her as one of our children," she said. Gary Gardiner, who is Tabitha's case manager at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Va., said the Nashville police response is not unusual for a missing child.

Publicity about Tabitha's case has come from Gardiner's organization, the national television show "America's Most Wanted" and most recently a billboard with the girl's photo along busy Interstate 24 near her home. Still there are no helpful tips, Faulkner said.

"This is the damnedest thing I've ever seen. It's like every day we get up and hit a wall," the chief said.

Rocky, as far as the question about why is this information just getting out about the business card????? Thats a good question ...........Letter asks families to help find Tabitha

This is a picture of the business-type card found in Tabitha Tuders' room the night of her disappearance. Metro police want to know if anyone has seen similar cards or knows the source of the cards.

_____Today's Top Stories_____

• Shumaker audit embarrasses officials
• Airmen return to Nashville
• Suspect in slaying on 10 most wanted list
• Decapitation report disgusts Ted Williams' granddaughter
• Legality of Tennessee-Georgia lottery partnership questioned
• Rutherford's books show surprise surplus

E-Mail This Article

Printer-Friendly (text only)

Subscribe to The Tennessean

By DORREN KLAUSNITZER
and CHRISTIAN BOTTORFF
Staff Writers

Metro police sent letters home yesterday to families of students at the school that missing Tabitha Tuders had been attending, asking for help in finding the 13-year-old.

The one-page letter, which also contains information about a mysterious business card with the teenager's name and telephone number on it, is signed by Acting Police Chief Deborah Faulkner. It asks students and parents at Bailey Middle School to report anything, ''no matter how small or insignificant,'' to the police.

Tabitha left her home at 1312 Lillian St. on the morning of April 29 to go to Bailey, but she apparently never boarded the bus and never arrived at school.

Yesterday was the first time that Metro police had sent a letter home with schoolchildren appealing directly to families to help find a missing child.

''We thought that students and their parents needed to know that the Police Department needs and wants their assistance,'' Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said. ''This business card is also something we would like to know more about.'' The card has several pastel colors with heart-shaped balloons in the background. On the right side of the cards is a picture of Winnie the Pooh holding a pink heart-shaped pillow. The card has Tabitha's name, address and phone number on it and has the words ''call me'' written below.

The card also contains the words ''sexy girl'' marked out and replaced with the words ''ghetto girl,'' a person familiar with the investigation said. That information was blacked out in the copy that was sent home to parents.

Police found the card the night Tabitha disappeared. It was with several others in a bowl on her dresser, Aaron said. Police do not know who created them, why they were made or what use they might have been to Tabitha. Police want to know if the cards hold any clues to her whereabouts.

In a telephone interview last night, Debra Tuders said she had no idea why her daughter had the card. ''I remember seeing one in her room, and they took it,'' Debra Tuders said of police. ''She just had it in her desk. She never used it or nothing like that.''

Asked specifically about the nicknames written on the card, she said she did not remember any information the card contained.

Debra Tuders also said yesterday that she was unaware that police were sending letters home with Bailey Middle School children. However, she hopes the information might somehow bring Tabitha home.

''If anybody knows anything, it will help, because it's going on four months,'' she said. ''We still haven't heard nothing. It's like she's just vanished.''

Teachers at Bailey said the letter, which some students will get today, had a chilling effect on their usually bubbly students. ''They were very, very quiet and stunned at first, then they started asking questions,'' eighth-grade resource teacher Charlotte Ray said.

''They were asking each other about it. And one girl expressed deep sadness that they hadn't found Tabitha. She said she prayed a lot they would find her and bring her back.''

Jeannie Sharp, a fifth-grade teacher, read the letter to her class and got much the same reaction.

''They were very concerned. They wanted to know, 'Have they found her?' and 'Where is she?' ''

A few students said they saw Tabitha get on the school bus, a tip Sharp told the students to report to the police. Police have said since early in the investigation that they believe she did not board the bus.

Ruth Murray, Bailey's principal, said the letter is intended to get students thinking about Tabitha and anything they may remember that may help police.

Parent Linda Carr said the letter was a good idea to get children and parents thinking about the missing child. But it made her daughter Jennifer Carr, 13, sad. ''It worries me,'' Jennifer Carr said, and it makes her mother wonder what Tabitha's mother must be going through.

''I lost Jennifer for an hour and a half, and I was worried to death,'' Linda Carr said. ''I don't know how her mama's going through this.''

Police are asking anyone with information about Tuders to call Metro Police Youth Services Division at 862-7417 or CrimeStoppers at 74-CRIME.

Staff Writer Sheila Burke contributed to this article.
stion.....

I only wish these letter had been sent out in the three weeks before school ended last May, three and a half months ago.

Originally posted by mindys
Tabitha is still a child. She could NOT have known the full implication of "sexy girl" or what it would mean to older men to have a title like that associated with her. Let us also remember she is growing up in a world of Britney Spears, etc. The "ghetto girl" title could also have something to do with this hip-hop music scene a lot of the young teenagers are into.

She should not be held responsible in any way for what has happened to her.

Mindys,
I agree 100%! My youngest daughter has friends who wear t shirts that have GHETTO GIRL written on them and these are good kids. This title refers to their music.

welcome back Johnny, I've been looking forward to hearing from you again.

sounds like quite a scary neighborhood, but I can say that the person I saw her with didn't look like the suspect that tried to pick up the 11 year old.

mindys and tylin...

you both speak like a couple of moms that could never imagine their sweet lil innocent daughters ever doing anything that was wrong.

well let me tell you from personal experience, you'd be surprised how children speak when they think adults aren't watching.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the computer they chat to their friends on, find in preference where you turn on logging and click the box.

Give it a week and then go back and look at a log.

I did this to bust the beasts that were stalking children, but I had kids open windows to me and write things that were very shocking. Remember the internet is a place where people can be someone else, anonymously hiding behind a fake name.

what kids don't understadn is they aren't annonymous and if someone wants to track a child down, they can.

most of the time they don't have to be that tricky, kids don't think twice of telling what school they go to, what grade they are in and they are growing up and want to feel like an adult, so feel they can't be hurt so they will give out their telephone numbers and addresses the first time they are asked.

If you have two computers in your house give it a try, find out what chatroom they go to meet with their friends, and log in annonymously on the other computer, pick a cute name and start talking with them like a peer would.

what I am saying is, while the parents are thinking their kids are innocently talking to friends from the computer in their bedroom, they are out walking through the dark woods completely ignorant to the fact they are being stalked by wolves...

If you want to understand the wolves, you have to enter their playground and learn their game.

They are out there where you least expect them, waiting for your child to stumble so they can make their move.

I feel even though Tabitha was a straight A student with wonderful parents, she somehow opened herself up for the perp to track her down and take her.

I still feel Tabitha is alive, and at this point protecting her kidnapper because she loves him, if she makes the call, he goes to jail, and she doesn't want that.

So how do you draw her out of hiding?

I can tell you if she has friends she has been talking with online, she is still there, talking to them from where she is now.

Johnny, you said someone printed up the cards for her at school.

If there were 8 cards to start with, how many were on her nightstand in the basket when they were found?

where at school would she have access to a color printer?

which of her friends have computers that let her use it to talk to others?

We may be 4 months behind where we should be with this information, but it isn't too late.

One of these days, he's going to piss her off, and she's going to call home.

Keep the faith,

Rocky

Boy, how out of touch I am!

Where I grew up, GhettoGirl would have been a horrible insult! No one would ever ID themselves as such.

I guess out of all the articles, the one thing that stands out to me was his comment about her not being as innocent as she seems.

It does sound like he might be friends with someone that knows Tabitha. Would this friend be male or female?

What did Tabitha's friend say to him that gave him the feeling she wasn't innocent?

Let the police know to handle him with respect and not grill him like he is guilty. From what I see so far, he is the closest link to an answer of what happened to Tabitha...

Do you have any more information other than what is in the article on the two that are sitting in Jail?

How old are they, and where are they from?

Did Tabitha ever visit or babysit for them?

I tend to agree with Ghostwheel about the "calling cards" possibly being a prank by another student from her junior high school. Sounds very much like 12-14 yr old girl "prank" material to me. And if Tabitha had made them herself to hand out to "boys", why would she have put her teacher's name on them? It doesn't make any sense that if she personally made them for social purposes that she'd put her teacher's name on the card too.

Unless she made them for a class in school, but if that were the case wouldn't they have been able to figure out by now where and why she made them? When I was in 7th grade I took graphic arts as an elective with some of my other friends who were interested in advertising (which has absolutely nothing to do w/ what I eventually studied in college). I remember we made "calling cards". But this was in 1987/1988 before computers were common in schools and we made them on some sort of printing press machine. I can even remember what mine said "Like call me ok" (LMAO :p ok it was the 80's and it was a pun on valley girls). Anyway, they were pink with hearts on it w/ my phone number but I don't think I put my address. That is the only way the teachers name on the cards would make sense to me if Tabitha made them for her own personal purposes and did so during a class - but like I said previously it seems like if they had been made for a class-related project they would have been able to figure that out by now.

The other scenario, and more likely since they can't seem to find out where the cards came from, is what I said before about someone making them in a way to make fun of Tabitha. This was probably a girl or girls who were in a specific class with Tabitha
or only knew her from a specific class - that class being the one taught by the teacher whose name is on the card. It sounds to me like they put everything that they knew about her on the card, that being her address, phone number, and the teacher/class that they associated with Tabitha. They probably picked "sexygirl" first because they were trying to make her sound slutty but then crossed it out realizing that sexy is really not such a bad thing afterall and sounded like they thought she's pretty or something so they crossed it out and put in ghettogirl. (JMO)

Johnny said : Ok, The card appears to have been printed by a cheap printer on a card stock that had the pastel borders on two sides (the right and bottom) also the card stock was perforated and also low quality. A girl who at school printed them up for Tabitha at school we believe, the name sexy girl was put on them by the girl and Tabitha scratched it out with an ink pen and wrote in ghetto girl. several of these were found and they had her Teachers name on them as well.

Johnny, did all the cards that were found have the teachers name "printed" on the card by the computer, or was it in her handwriting?

maybe she was handing them out like valentines and had a few set aside to hand out in that teacher's class to her friends.

Has anything come of this story about Tabitha's initials with someone elses?
Initials found on paper could help find Tabitha, police say

A piece of paper found in the school belongings of missing 13-year-old Tabitha Tuders includes initials that investigators are hoping will lead to her recovery, Metro police said today.

The paper has writing in Tuders' hand that reads ''T.D.T. - N - M.T.L.''

Tabitha's name is Tabitha Danielle Tuders. The other initials are unknown

The paper has writing in Tuders' hand that reads ''T.D.T. - N - M.T.L.''

Detectives have interviewed Tabitha's family, friends and staff at her school about the M.T.L. initials, but no associations were developed from those talks, police said. Since Tuders went missing April 29, police have not classified her disappearance as either a runaway or abduction.

Police are asking anyone with information about the missing teen or any connection she may have to the initials M.T.L. to contact Metro Youth Services detectives at 862-7417.

from the Tennessean

Police look for link between abduction attempt, Tabitha

Metro police are calling Martin Tim Boyd as a "person of interest" in the investigation of the disappearance of Tabitha Tuders.

By CHRISTIAN BOTTORFF
and SHEILA BURKE
Staff Writers

Man accused of trying to lure a young girl into car last week

For almost four months, family and friends of missing 13-year-old Tabitha Tuders have publicly said they believed the teen was abducted on her way to the school bus stop.
Now Metro police are looking closely at a man arrested Wednesday after he was accused of trying to lure an 11-year-old girl into his car at a school bus stop less than five miles from Tabitha's stop.

More here

edited to say I didn't check to see that this was the same guy as the one from the police website cited by Johnny. But anyway, this is the Tennessean newspaper article about it.

Rocky,

I do think my child is sweet and innocent -sometimes.

My oldest is 21 and since she was 12 or so she and her friends have hung out at our home. It's the same with my youngest.

I know what clothes they like to wear, what cuss words they use and the slang they use.

I know what music they listen to, the tv shows they watch and what movies they rent and attend.

I know who sneaks and smokes cigs, and yes I tell the parents.

The kids I know that wear the shirts you mentioned are good kids.

You cannot make certain assumptions due to what her shirt had printed on it.

If parents took more time out of their busy life and spent a little quality time with their kids -maybe there would not be so many unsolved mysteries.

After all, if the parents commuicated with their kids more and knew what they were doing ,IMO, there would be less disappearances.

I am not putting blame on the parents, but it's kind of hard for kids to disappear if you know where there are. Telling your kids to keep in touch with you and having phone numbers where they can be reached and even cell phones makes it easier as a parent to make sure your kids are safe.

I don't think there is any way that wherever Tabitha is she is able to contact home. She is being completely controlled possibly physically and most especially mentally. I don't see her having internet access and I don't see her having had the opportunity to come back once she was gone, in that perps vehicle. She needs HELP in a very big way. All of her thoughts now and early on must have just been on survival from one hour to the next, waiting for LE and/or her family to find her and bring justice for all that has happened to her.

Rocky, believe me, I don't live in fantasy land where my kids are concerned. Actually they can really blow my mind with the stuff they come up with. But, they have a clean slate and being so young have NO chance against an older person who can manipulate them and easily make them believe almost anything. They need only make one big mistake. I know that is a reality! I also most fully know what's out there, that's why I'm here.

thank you for being so kind with your replies and understanding what I am trying to say even if the words didn't come out quite right.

I'm sure you're both wonderful mothers and have been around these cases long enough to watch for the warning signs around your children. I guess I just picked on you because you're friends and knew you'd forgive me...

I was shocked when I was in the chat rooms seeing what some kids were writing, and I guess I talk about it to everyone hoping it might make a difference to protect a child some day. The internet is a wonderful tool, but parents are starting to use it for a babysitter to keep thier kids busy, and there are a lot of scary things out there for kids to run across.

I'm afraid mindys is right on track with her feeling, that she is being used by whoever kidnapped her. I guess since my dream keeps showing her with a young man, that I haven't started to think about the terrible circumstances she might be going through, even the thought that the boyfriend might be pimping her out for them to have money is bad enough.

I think the police should get as many of their pretty young female officers out on the corners in the area to sweep away the image that neighborhood has.

so how do we track her down?

what's really sad about the over 50 monsters I brought down, was they had a coninuous flow of new victims for them to choose from, they would get them all hooked on heavy drugs, so eventually they didn't want to run away because it scared them not knowing where they would get their daily habbit from. They would be tossed out when they were too used up, and the pimps would just reach out and take a few new ones to replace her.

Out of the 50+ cases they each had between 5 and 30 girls...

I felt good for a while thinking about the number of children I helped and the countless number I saved from the same living hell until I realized busting each one just meant someone else would step in to take their place.

to stop the cycle, do you need to go after the sick puppy willing to spend a few hundred bucks to spend time with a child? As long as they are willing to spend money on it, Pimps will be around to cover their needs.

So what's the answer?

Rocky, we are friends, don't sweat a thing, I have the highest respect for your opinions and where you are coming from.

One answer is a one-strike law for child sexual offenders. One conviction and you are out, life in prison, without parole, pending of course the appeals process. We have to have the guts to do it, the intelligence to realize a person who wants to have sex with children and acts on it, including the desire to be with young teenagers sexually, when they are much older, can NOT be rehabilitated! We have to Empower our children and tell them what to do in the worst case scenario.

where would we put them all?

the government feels it's more important to lock up those evil pot heads and keep them in prison to protect our streets than to worry about a couple sick puppies that are roaming our streets stalking our children.

I wanted the one strike rule to go even further, I want what is done on the internet to be concidered for felony offenses. Take the animals out before they have a chance to go from cyber fantasies to real life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back