"Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" still -- Band Aid at 30

If I liked the Haysi I'd immediately check myself into a locked psychiatric unit so as not to be a danger to myself or others; but I do like the other two! Ah, early MTV....so bad yet so bad-good!

Guardian's Alexis Petridis's take on the matter:

Do They Know It’s Christmas review – in tune with non-musical times

---
Meanwhile, anyone keen to sound the clanging chimes of doom for pop music – or at the very least, looking for evidence of its waning grip on teenagers’ imaginations – might note that three of the vocalists aren’t actually musicians. They are “internet personalities” Zoe “Zoella” Sugg, her brother Joe “Thatcherjoe” Sugg and Alfie Deyes, the last justly famous as joint holder of the world record for the most number of bangles put on by two people in 30 seconds.
---
the rest at the link

Number one cause of teenaged auditory distress:

[video=youtube;POv-3yIPSWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc[/video]

People have been saying popular music's dead since Elvis was a boy, though. But it isn't. I don't think it ever will die no matter how multimedia things get. There'll always be the likes of Bowie, Sting, Souxie, all the greats. And there will, unfortunately, always be the Agadoos as well.

Oops -- looks like Sinéad's on topic:

Sinéad O’Connor: Band Aid critics should 'shut the f--- up' (Telegraph)

---
“I think it's smug of Lily Allen to say it's smug.
---
“And who gives a f--- what Damon f------ Albarn thinks?”
---
She added frankly: "Excuse my honesty, I'm too old for bull----."
---
the rest of her carefully reasoned (ahhh-chooo) response at link above

Meanwhile back at the ranch
[video=youtube;J4Gh-GH8Miw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Gh-GH8Miw&list=RDJ4Gh-GH8Miw#t=4[/video]

Okay, this song was actually 1983....still one of the finest parodies one is likely to see:

[video=youtu;fsgWUq0fdKk]http://youtu.be/fsgWUq0fdKk[/video]

Okay, this song was actually 1983....still one of the finest parodies one is likely to see:

Omg, two hours later I emerge from *that* rabbit hole, with my sides aching! The safety dance one was brilliant, as was Bonnie Tyler. Absolutely hysterical. "Metaphor?" - I was rolling about after that one.

Omg, two hours later I emerge from *that* rabbit hole, with my sides aching! The safety dance one was brilliant, as was Bonnie Tyler. Absolutely hysterical. "Metaphor?" - I was rolling about after that one.
♫♪♫ And they shouldn't fence at night, / Or they're going to hurt the gymnasts ♫♪♫

^ YES, ahahaha, several of my household cracked up over that line. It must be like shooting fish in a barrel, though - those 80's music vids were something else.... I hope there's a Duran Duran one somewhere. Or omg, the Cure!

To sort of meander all this slightly back toward the topic -- I had utterly forgotten how much I used to adore Paul Young. Where'd he get to? Haven't heard anything of him for years...

^ YES, ahahaha, several of my household cracked up over that line. It must be like shooting fish in a barrel, though - those 80's music vids were something else.... I hope there's a Duran Duran one somewhere. Or omg, the Cure!

To sort of meander all this slightly back toward the topic -- I had utterly forgotten how much I used to adore Paul Young. Where'd he get to? Haven't heard anything of him for years...
https://www.google.com/#q=where+are+they+now+paul+young

You're terrible, Muriel.

but yes it was tantamount to blasphemy wasn't it

You're terrible, Muriel.

but yes it was tantamount to blasphemy wasn't it
Tons of covers of that song, some quite good -- Swans, June Tabor, Magical Orchestra & Susanna, etc. etc.

MTV 1984....yikes. "Do They Know...." shared the airwaves with some memorable tunes:

Billboard Hot 100
What? 1984? I wasn't 12, I was 14! And it's scary that there were only a few songs on that Billboard 100 chart that I couldn't recall. Wow.

Hey I was feeling very groovy last weekend and watched a full long-play homemade video with lyrics of The Friends of Mr. Cairo on the big smart tv via youtube. Woah!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back