Tornado Hits Scout Camp In Western Iowa

http://www.ketv.com/news/16579276/detail.html

(snip)
Camp counselors said they knew a storm was coming and they heard the sirens going off, but there was no basement for the boys. The authorities said the Boy Scouts had predesignated areas to go to that were discussed on the first day of camp. Officials said most of the boys were on a hike when storms moved in.

The camp can be rebuilt and I hope they include a storm shelter.

Your daughter sounds like she is one cool cucumber! Wow! Thank goodness everyone is safe. You can breathe now, Anita. (And have a martini)

You're right about the camp being rebuilt. I also think that the values that the Scouts instill in these kids will help them get through their sadness/shock/grief.

Regarding my daughter, Adrenalin Junkie is more like it! :rolleyes: Lol at the martini suggestion...where the heck did I put those spicy olives?!

Ah, what I call the "white river rafter" type, eh?! (the spicy olives are in the fridge towards the back on the left, I think...unless you used them all.)

Yes, my son is also an Eagle Scout and I do know the kind of kids they are. They will use their faith and strength to get through this and help the families along the way.

I'm concerned that not many have been brought to the hospitals.

My heart goes out to you Anita........!!! Sending you a huge hug!

Texana thank God he was safe.......
My thoughts & prayers to all the scouts & there families. How terrifying....

This is heartwrenching. I feel so badly for those poor families who lost loved ones and those injured in the tornadoes. :(

Anita, how are things going with your family there? Sorry you are sitting there all alone and scared. Hugs~
Texana! Oh, MY! How frightening for you. I hope your father is OK.

My dad is great, thanks. This was many years ago. I think he most definitely had a "come to Jesus" moment hanging on to the doorway, though.

Even a little tornado can be devastating if you are in a mobile home, tent, or otherwise unsecured home.

Congrats to your son for reaching Eagle Scout. That is such an awesome achievement and one that lasts a lifetime.

My heart is just so going out to those families who sent their sons and fathers to camp, and had this happen to them.

All kids have been located. Currently locating family. 96 kids there at the time tornado hit.

SS, I've been able to determine hospitals reporting about 20 admitted. Hopefully that's just preliminary.

All kids have been removed from camp. He can't say where they were taken or if they've been reunited with parents.

It is great to hear the EMT's & perimedics, & all 911 officials were able to respond so quickly to give help. Could of been much worse........

WOWT.COM

Four people were killed and 40 injured at a Boy Scout Camp near Little Sioux, Iowa from a tornado that touched down Wednesday evening.

A tornado warning is in effect for southeastern Fremont, southeastern Montgomery and Page counties in southwest Iowa until midnight.

Leadership Training Week activities were underway at the Scout Ranch located in Iowa's Loess Hills.

The 1,800 acre ranch is about 15 minutes east of Interstate 29, about 40 miles north of Omaha. Its amenities include hiking trails through narrow valleys and over steep hills, a 15-acre lake and a rifle range.

Julie Tack, a spokeswoman for Iowa Homeland Security, said the camp was covered with debris and downed trees after the tornado hit about 6:35 p.m.

Tack said there were 96 campers and 25 staff members at the camp when the tornado struck. The campers were between 13 and 18 years old. "They were considered some of the best in the area."

The identities of the dead have not been released. All campers and staff have been accounted for.

Four of the injured were taken to Creighton University Medical Center in Omaha. They are identified as 15-year-old Mason Flora in stable condition, 13-year-old Kevin Hannah in stable condition and 15-year-old Micheal Abell in good condition. The name, age and condition of the fourth injured party was not available.

Missouri Valley Alegent Health says it received 11 patients. Eight were treated and released. Three were transported to Omaha. The worst injury of the three was a hip fracture.

Other victims were taken to a hospital in Sioux City.

Parents of the campers were bering asked to gather at the Fellowship Hall in Little Sioux. Those seeking information should call the Omaha number 431-9272.

Gayle Jessen of Fremont, Nebraska said her 19-year-old son Zach is a staff leader at the camp. He called his parents to say he had a bruise on an arm and was being treated at a hospital.

"I'm so relieved my son is okay," said Jessen, who added her husband was headed to the hospital to pick up their son.

Oh, Cheko! Another one I am glad to hear from! I kept praying you weren't floating away somewhere. :)

Thanks for the update, Suzi.

Anita~ Did you find the spicy olives yet?

LOL A "come to Jesus" moment. That phrase makes me smile. Yes, tornadoes and tents do not mix. (along with mobile homes, cars, or cabins!)

Forget come to Jesus. I would be changing my drawers after a terrifying experience like that!

Thanks for the update Nora. I'm praying that the low hospital number is because most of the people at the camp dodged the bullet.

Thanks Anita and SS, I'm not craving spicy olives!

Good, Suzi...because I think Anita ran out of them already. I think I hear her snoring.

All kids have been located. Currently locating family. 96 kids there at the time tornado hit.

SS, I've been able to determine hospitals reporting about 20 admitted. Hopefully that's just preliminary.

Thanks for the updates...I was busy bathing and tucking in the princesses so I missed the presser.

Good, Suzi...because I think Anita ran out of them already. I think I hear her snoring.

LOL! :slap: I hadn't even looked in the back of the fridge yet!

Apparently these boys had a surprise "emergency" readiness exercise just last night...having that last minute training might have saved some lives.

Since most (if not all) of the boys had advanced first aid training, they may have been able to provide care for the less injured boys, which may have allowed them to go to the gym instead of the hospital. (I know, run on. I can hardly think straight to type!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back