Trauma Reactions

Oh, Beesy, what a beautiful boy. It wasn't that long ago, either. I guess I hoped it had been 10 or 20 years ago, but it was less than 2. That's so nice there is a place for mom's to go to post pictures and hopefully talk with other mom's who have gone through similar losses and understand the grief process involved. Thanks for sharing Danny's picture with all of us.

Great website and a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry you lost Danny.

As for Darlie and the body, all I can say is that I have a family member that has been DX'd narcissistic PD. This person had no problem getting into a fight about who could visit her father's body, using it as a hostage--in front of the body itself as it was still warm.:eek:

They really don't 'get it'.

beesy said:
Traumatic amnesia without a head injury can be brought on purely by emotional trauma but it is extremely rare and generally does not last more than 6 months. One also does not weave in and out of it the way Darlie claimed. According to her, she was still have trouble at the trial, couldn't remember some of the witnesses against her.

Goody said:
Traumatic amnesia without a head injury can be brought on purely by emotional trauma but it is extremely rare and generally does not last more than 6 months. One also does not weave in and out of it the way Darlie claimed. According to her, she was still have trouble at the trial, couldn't remember some of the witnesses against her.
head injury or stabbing your boys...her defense sure tried to make it fit, but I don't think it does

Goody said:

According to her, she's STILL having trouble. :waitasec: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :liar: :liar: :liar:

Jeana (DP) said:
According to her, she's STILL having trouble. :waitasec: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :liar: :liar: :liar:
For someone with head trauma, she sure does have a lot of versions to the story, depending on who she is talking to, when, and what has been uncovered.

beesy said:
head injury or stabbing your boys...her defense sure tried to make it fit, but I don't think it does
They tried to claim a head injury to make it fit, but the type of head injury it would have taken to cause a medical TA (which could be permanent) was just not possible in her case. There is no way docs could have missed that type of injury. The defense thought they could pass off a little tap on the head just by virtue of her claims later after the fact that she had a headache. That was supposed to compare with a head being smashed into a windshield at 40 mph. It was all BS.

Goody said:
They tried to claim a head injury to make it fit, but the type of head injury it would have taken to cause a medical TA (which could be permanent) was just not possible in her case. There is no way docs could have missed that type of injury. The defense thought they could pass off a little tap on the head just by virtue of her claims later after the fact that she had a headache. That was supposed to compare with a head being smashed into a windshield at 40 mph. It was all BS.
From what I understand..which is not saying much...TA caused by emotional trauma and becomes permanent is then called "repressed memory". And from what I understand about that is that all or most memories of the event/s are repressed. If Darlie had repressed memory then she would not remember most or even all of the things which happened. It seems to take years for the repression to kick in also. Molestation cases are a good example. As a child, if the molesting goes on for some time, it is certainly remembered from event to event. A 5 yr-old remembers what Daddy did last week or whatever. If it stops when a person is relatively young, then it can become repressed by the time one reaches adulthood. So to say Darlie had TA which has become repressed memory is as you said, more BS.

beesy said:
From what I understand..which is not saying much...TA caused by emotional trauma and becomes permanent is then called "repressed memory". And from what I understand about that is that all or most memories of the event/s are repressed. If Darlie had repressed memory then she would not remember most or even all of the things which happened. It seems to take years for the repression to kick in also. Molestation cases are a good example. As a child, if the molesting goes on for some time, it is certainly remembered from event to event. A 5 yr-old remembers what Daddy did last week or whatever. If it stops when a person is relatively young, then it can become repressed by the time one reaches adulthood. So to say Darlie had TA which has become repressed memory is as you said, more BS.
Yes, but repressed memory has not even been proven to be factual. We don't know if it really exists or not. There had been cases of "repressed memory" that have proven to be "false memory" and not repressed at all. There is no way to know for sure if the patient is remembering something that actually did happen or if the mind is just conjuring up something to satisfy the need to find a repressed memory.

The only person I have ever heard refer to traumatic amnesia as a "repressed memory" was the other day on one of these cable news shows. I am not wanting to get too technical here because I am not an expert. What I know about traumatic amnesia I described in my previous post. If you want to view it as "repressed memory" I suppose you can, but I am hesitant because I have even less faith in it than I do the TA caused from strictly emotional shock.

Goody said:
Yes, but repressed memory has not even been proven to be factual. We don't know if it really exists or not. There had been cases of "repressed memory" that have proven to be "false memory" and not repressed at all. There is no way to know for sure if the patient is remembering something that actually did happen or if the mind is just conjuring up something to satisfy the need to find a repressed memory.

The only person I have ever heard refer to traumatic amnesia as a "repressed memory" was the other day on one of these cable news shows. I am not wanting to get too technical here because I am not an expert. What I know about traumatic amnesia I described in my previous post. If you want to view it as "repressed memory" I suppose you can, but I am hesitant because I have even less faith in it than I do the TA caused from strictly emotional shock.
No, I don't have any faith in it either...lol...I just find it interesting. Darlie has also said she passed out several times, once in front of a medic. He and Karen both have said she never passed out. Whenever they use hypnosis to evoke memories, I am iffy about it. When you can cause someone to "remember" alien abductions, there's cause to pause.

beesy said:
No, I don't have any faith in it either...lol...I just find it interesting. Darlie has also said she passed out several times, once in front of a medic. He and Karen both have said she never passed out. Whenever they use hypnosis to evoke memories, I am iffy about it. When you can cause someone to "remember" alien abductions, there's cause to pause.
Or all those detailed accounts of past lives. Rarely are they ever proven to be factual, and even those very, very few that are factual cannot be specifically proven to be memory. It could be that one's 6th sense was tapped into and it is actually psychic vision rather than a past life memory. All that can ever be proven is that someone lived in that day and time according to the detail offered. So repressed memory that offers no supporting evidence that it is factual will probably be met with squinting eyebrows from Goody.

Goody said:
Or all those detailed accounts of past lives. Rarely are they ever proven to be factual, and even those very, very few that are factual cannot be specifically proven to be memory. It could be that one's 6th sense was tapped into and it is actually psychic vision rather than a past life memory. All that can ever be proven is that someone lived in that day and time according to the detail offered. So repressed memory that offers no supporting evidence that it is factual will probably be met with squinting eyebrows from Goody.
Funny, I believe in 6th Sense more than in hypnosis and repressed memory, etc. That reminds me, I saw an ad that the cable channel ABC Family is airing The 6th Sense this week. When did a freaky, graphic, violent ghost story become "family" entertainment?
I was watching "the practice" the other AM. One of the lawyers shot a man who had threatened her. She couldn't remember pulling the trigger, but could remember right before and right after. Guess what the Dr. said she had? Yep, "psychological amnesia" which is also known as TA!

Goody said:

Is this still talk about Darlie Routier? No body ever did claim head injure. Where did you read this Goody?

I am here to tell you that there IS such a thing as repressed memory. There is also such a thing as body memories. I was sexually abused for many, many years and while I always remembered I was abused, I had forgotten many instances. Interestingly, I had also forgotten most of each instance... i.e., I would remember a few moments in the middle of the event... but never the beginning and NEVER the end. Also, I witnessed many traumatic events happening to my brother but have absolutely no memory of any of them. OTOH, many of the same things that happened to my brother, happened to me within minutes, and I remember most of that abuse as it happened to me. My brother was sent to an orphanage when I was 6 and to this day I have never recalled that event... but if anyone mentions orphanage to me, I start crying and shaking.

If repeated traumatic abuse happens to an individual an early age (and I'm not isolating that to just include sexual abuse), then the trauma alone can cause repressed memories to occur. It's simply a way to survive... you shove the memories as far away from your consciousness as you possibly can. I think it's incredibly sad that some unscrupulous therapists pushed retrieving "repressed memories" the way they did in past years, to the point that a whole movement sprung up claiming there was no such thing as repressed memories. OTOH, as I've said before, most people who are willing to sexually abuse small children are the very same people who would lie until the sheep came home about having done it... so it's never surprised me that there is an entire group of parents who have formed a group claiming their child had false repressed memories. I'm not saying every parent in the group was an abuser, but you can bet your bottom dollar that many were. The statistics, as we know them, on sexual abuse of children is so outrageous that it is appalling... and yet many people still want to believe that the children are making it up. But the statistics are actually much higher than anyone can prove because most children never come forward to report them. As the statistics now stand, 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused by the age of 18.

For anyone who doesn't believe in repressed memories, I suggest reading anything to do with Marilyn Van Derbur's (a former Miss America) abuse by her father, a prominent and wealthy Denver man. It occurred from the age of 5 (I believe) until the age of 18. In order to survive, she split off into day memories and night memories. It wasn't until her own daughter reached the age she was when her abuse started that she was able to start retrieving her lost memories...and it took many, many years for her to recover. At one point she even became paralyzed and couldn't move her legs.

I'm so sorry that you and your brother had to endure that abuse darlin. There is just no understanding how people can be so cruel to little kids. I agree that in that type of abuse, repressed memories are very normal. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

In Darlie's case, unfortunately for her, self-inflicted wounds don't cause it though.

Yes, but repressed memory has not even been proven to be factual. We don't know if it really exists or not.
Thanks, Jeana, for the hugs! I will step down off my "repressed memories" soapbox now but mostly was just responding to Goody's statement as quoted above. Having experienced it for so long, and having retrieved many memories, it just makes me sad for people to not believe such a phenomenon exists.

And I agree totally, Jeana, that Darlie was never a victim of repressed memories or TA. The only thing she's a victim of is her own sins.

HeartofTexas said:
Thanks, Jeana, for the hugs! I will step down off my "repressed memories" soapbox now but mostly was just responding to Goody's statement as quoted above. Having experienced it for so long, and having retrieved many memories, it just makes me sad for people to not believe such a phenomenon exists.
Oh, Heart I certainly didn't mean to scoff at or make light of your abuse. It does become difficult to weed out the truths from the fiction for someone like me who has never been hypnotised or recovered any repressed memories. Who am I to say that alien abuductions are fake or past lives...I don't believe in them, but you never know. I was referring to those things, not sexual abuse or other traumas. People like Darlie are the ones who make TA or repressed memories or whatever it's called to be unbelievable.

Don't worry for a minute, Beesy. Nobody owes me an apology. I'm not even sure if repressed memories are actually traumatic amnesia. I do know my repressed memories were caused by continual trauma, but I've never heard it referred to as traumatic amnesia. It's possible they came up with that term because the term repressed memories got so much bad press back in the 90's. I just wanted to go on record in the Darlie forum as saying repressed memories do exist... but there isn't a bone in my body that thinks Darlie has/had them. There's a huge difference between lying your fool head off and having repressed memories!

For all of you who are actually experiencing Fall temperatures, I just want to let everyone know that we are baking here in Dallas. Geez, it's October 18, and it hit 93 degrees today. Unbelievable. I hear we're cooling down to the upper 70's by Friday. Whoopie!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back