TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in Melani's case, she was both cult family and biological family. I do remember that her mother died from what sounded like anorexia, but do you remember what the deal was with her bio father and is he dead or alive? Obviously, she was very damaged by the loss of her mother and whatever happened with her father.
Her father is alive. I can't try to find them right now, but the back and forth letters in the courts written by Melani's father, and Lori's father, regarding Melani's mother are...I dunno... " a real trip". I hope someone can post them for you.

And in Melani's case, she was both cult family and biological family. I do remember that her mother died from what sounded like anorexia, but do you remember what the deal was with her bio father and is he dead or alive? Obviously, she was very damaged by the loss of her mother and whatever happened with her father.
There also was strong opinion about how damaged Melani was, just LIVING with her mother. But when her dedication to her military service, and early years with Brandon were analyzed, , it was hard to determine how her wires got so crossed. Deduction: Lori. This is certainly just moo...but your post is reminding me just how much back and forth we had early on trying to figure Melani out !!!

I still worry about this, as automatic appeal grounds.

Sometimes, I do wonder if JP dreads getting up every day. I know we often talk about lawyers want the big cases for the notoriety. But, I bet JP just thinks what a horrible suck of his life this has been

I've only watched some of the testimonies on YT but how did Chad change his story at Tammy's wake? I was also not clear on why that upstairs bedroom is significant. Also, did one or more of Chad's kids live at home when Tammy died?
There were two family members (a mother and daughter, I believe it was Tammy’s sister and niece) who testified about how they heard Chad at Tammy’s wake explaining to different family members how he found Tammy and there were several inconsistencies between each way he told people (between going up and finding her already deceased, her being found half off the bed, him pulling the covers in the early morning hours and her falling out of bed) The niece stated that chad told her he went “up” to their bedroom and found Tammy and Pryor hammered that it was a single story house, there is no “up”.

It was later acknowledged by another witness that there actually was a secondary story bedroom in an addition and perhaps Pryor was using semantics to discredit the earlier witness.

After her parents divorced, Melani lived a normal life with her father away from the Cox family. When she was about 14 or 15, she reconnected with the Coxes. Unlike Melani, her father didn't support Lori when her children were missing.

That trip was at Thanksgiving - after CD & LVD had gone to Hawaii & got married on 11/5 & returned to Rexburg and after LE did the welfare check for JJ. CD & LVD went to Hawaii from CA after that trip with the Daybell kids and didn’t come back to Rexburg until LVD was extradited in late Feb (I think).

JP has reminded the jury several times that the trip to CA with the kids was “planned” & tickets bought in advance & that CD & LVD were not fleeing LE.

I found the whole thing disgusting - including that the kids didn’t seem to care that CD moved in with LVD the day after the funeral or that he married her less than 2 weeks after it. There is no way that I would have taken that trip to CA with a dad & his new wife who could so easily and quickly dismiss my mother’s life. That trip was only about 6 weeks after TD died. When my mother died, I was still grieving 6 weeks later - and my mother was older and in poor health and we’d been expecting it for years! I try very hard to have compassion for the Daybell offspring but their actions then and after CD’s arrest sure don’t make that easy.

MOO

As today is Mother's Day, it makes me wonder how they (Chud the Dud's children) spent the day... IMO it wouldn't be honoring the Mother who loved them so much. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't believe they took a trip to honor her memory by even going to her gravesite. :(:(

I still worry about this, as automatic appeal grounds.

Appeal is highly likely because if it's LWOP or death, there will be nothing to lose by appealing.

Appeal will probably be on as many basis' as the legal team can conjure up, and maybe this will be one of them indirectly. You can't appeal because your attorney wanted out and got a no from the judge, but you can use it to bolster another appeal reason like inadequate representation.

I don't think it will win at all. The only thing that comes to mind is the "consumptive DNA" test that were never done *possibly* because of funds. But I think they were never tested because the defense knew it wouldn't help them to get them tested, and would help their case to block testing them by not coming together with the prosecution and agreeing on how to go about it. (For instance at a lab with witnesses from both sides monitoring the testing).

I have trouble believing Prior wanted off the case. His best defense is delay. I think he asked to get off the case just as a delay tactic.

MOO

Her father is alive. I can't try to find them right now, but the back and forth letters in the courts written by Melani's father, and Lori's father, regarding Melani's mother are...I dunno... " a real trip". I hope someone can post them for you.
The subject was explored in OG Hidden True Crime, primarily as insight into Barry Cox, Lori's father, who is - as you said- a trip.

MOO

As today is Mother's Day, it makes me wonder how they (Chud the Dud's children) spent the day... IMO it wouldn't be honoring the Mother who loved them so much. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't believe they took a trip to honor her memory by even going to her gravesite. :(:(

Irony, she is probably buried in the same cemetery CD worked at. They both worked for the City of Springville, as I recall. Probably both had pension benefits with State of Utah. Moving to Idaho was definitely not a great financial plan.

I thought about LVD for a moment today, I was surrounded by my family. Children, such a blessing. I just don't understand the evil in both of them. No one could.

Are all five of his kids still defending him? I don't know much about them other than seeing that interview with them a few years ago. I can understand being traumatized at the loss of both parents but, man, with two dead kids buried in the yard I'd like to know what kind of story they're telling themselves to convince themselves he's innocent.
I'm sorry, but I can understand standing by their father if they were teenagers, or if it was shortly after the murder (and, yes, it was a murder), but cannot understand standing by their father with more time and information. My father left my mother for another woman and it unfortunately coincided with her getting cancer. Once she died I still kept in touch with my father but I never forgot how he treated her. I would never have stood up for him in court if my mother had died under suspicious circumstances! (and I was a similar age as Chad and Tammy's children.)

ETA: Happy Mother's Day Tammy. By all accounts you were a wonderful mother. I'm sorry that (some of) your children aren't standing up for you.

ETA2: And happy Mother's Day to my own mother all of these many years later. I still think of you every day!

Last edited:
Regarding the topic of Chad not wanting his name on his wife's headstone, I find this shocking. I am into family ancestry and gravestones are a wonderful source of information for family researchers. The LDS church values family history work more than any institution I know of. They have family history research libraries located around the world. For Chad to have been 'into' that, and then to snub having his name on his wife's gravestone is quite telling to me.

There were two family members (a mother and daughter, I believe it was Tammy’s sister and niece) who testified about how they heard Chad at Tammy’s wake explaining to different family members how he found Tammy and there were several inconsistencies between each way he told people (between going up and finding her already deceased, her being found half off the bed, him pulling the covers in the early morning hours and her falling out of bed) The niece stated that chad told her he went “up” to their bedroom and found Tammy and Pryor hammered that it was a single story house, there is no “up”.

It was later acknowledged by another witness that there actually was a secondary story bedroom in an addition and perhaps Pryor was using semantics to discredit the earlier witness.
Right !!
And Pryor should know.. HE OWNS THE HOUSE

Same as him asking DW about how many acres are on the property. SMH

My father's name is on my mom's headstone even though he had a "girlfriend" weeks after her death.

She was my mom's best friend from childhood on and since they're both in their 80's and were both widowed it was more a comfort thing since my dad also knew her departed husband very well too.

Not LDS but Middle American Baptist. All of my ancestors have their spouses name on their stone.

I was flabbergasted Chad didn't even bother to put his name on her tombstone! Cheapskate, cheating, murderous jerk!!

I hope her "busy" work behind the veil is seeing that he gets what he is due and I hope she haunts him with her sweet spirit until the day he dies.

Irony, she is probably buried in the same cemetery CD worked at. They both worked for the City of Springville, as I recall. Probably both had pension benefits with State of Utah. Moving to Idaho was definitely not a great financial plan.

I thought about LVD for a moment today, I was surrounded by my family. Children, such a blessing. I just don't understand the evil in both of them. No one could.

Hi Mickey!!!
I never thought about it, but WOW if Tammy is buried where Chud used to dig graves... he is, was, and always will be a slob. Happy Mother's day to all of the Momma's on here.

Yes, our children are indeed a blessing and I can't imagine my life without mine. How any mother can do anything to hurt, much less be involved in their deaths, is something I hope to never understand.

Yes, same cemetery where Chad Daybell worked, Evergreen Cemetery in Springville, UT.

Thanks for posting this. I’ve never read it. Do you know if it was rewritten at some point because I noticed it doesn’t mention CD by name (unless I missed it).

After her parents divorced, Melani lived a normal life with her father away from the Cox family. When she was about 14 or 15, she reconnected with the Coxes. Unlike Melani, her father didn't support Lori when her children were missing.
Is he still alive and around?

I had a comprehension glitch when reading your post and was like, wait...WHAT??? when I saw this:

he went “up” to their bedroom and found Tammy and Pryor hammered

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members