TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am curious, how WILL this screw up influence the death penalty ??
I don't believe Boyce has finished determining how this error will be fixed.

I imagine when we know that there might be more information on the impacts.

There might be none at all. Maybe the judge will simply say to ignore the typo; the prosecution and defense did the whole trial.

It sounds like the judge has decided not to "unrest" the prosecution and allow a motion to correct. So the remedy, it appears, will have to do with jury instructions.

I can't think of what impact the instructions would have on the penalty. It sounds like it's more of an impact on guilt/not guilt phase.

Yet, I don't know. We will see on Monday, I imagine.

MOO

Will JP really want to work on this for "years"? He looks like he can't stand CD most of the time. I think he can't wait for this case to be over.
nah....I dont think he will. if he is gets the DP, automatic appeal of course but at some point he will need an appellate attorney and JP has a property to be sold...of which he has no idea how many acres he has :D

Will JP really want to work on this for "years"? He looks like he can't stand CD most of the time. I think he can't wait for this case to be over.
He will probably leave and Chad will need a public defender for the appeal.

Unless, Prior can become death penalty certified and become Chad's public defender. I don't know how long that takes, but Prior will have death case experience when this is done.

MOO

I will reiterate my view that JP is a great defense attorney. Do I like his style? No. Definitely not.
But here is a guy trying to defend his client against the death penalty, ALL BY HIMSELF. He has shown that he is generally on top of things; disrupts a bit of the prosection's case; and, can put forth legal arguments on the spot.

I think Chad is guilty as he**. He's an absolutely terrible human being. But Prior is doing his job. I think he has no chance of winning, but he's giving it his all. I can't imagine being in his position.

I'm stressing about the prosecution and whether they can win. But they have an entire team working on this. I hope they come through in the end and I'm pretty sure they will. (although that was a disconcerting hiccup today!)

I will reiterate my view that JP is a great defense attorney. Do I like his style? No. Definitely not.
But here is a guy trying to defend his client against the death penalty, ALL BY HIMSELF. He has shown that he is generally on top of things; disrupts a bit of the prosection's case; and, can put forth legal arguments on the spot.

I think Chad is guilty as he**. He's an absolutely terrible human being. But Prior is doing his job. I think he has no chance of winning, but he's giving it his all. I can't imagine being in his position.

I'm stressing about the prosecution and whether they can win. But they have an entire team working on this. I hope they come through in the end and I'm pretty sure they will. (although that was a disconcerting hiccup today!)
Can you imagine being Prior and having to keep this entire insane story straight and have no other attys assisting him? And all that paperwork. I'm guessing he'll be glad when this is over and his client is convicted. Yes, he's doing his job and doing as well as is humanly possible but he knows, just like everyone else, where Chad needs to be. I think he has a very quick mind which is why he keeps interrupting witnesses.

One item I noted from the prosecution witness today was that Chad's children had agreed, on the day the kids were found, to talk to LE. But the next day they refused to cooperate after discussing it with Chad. I think this was a good set-up before any of Chad's kids take the stand for the defense. The prosecution has planted it in the jury's minds that they are under the spell of Chad and therefore might not be forthcoming. They weren't cooperative with LE.

Just backtracking a bit to where Tylee was being "sweet" and had cleaned her room, and JJ was quietly watching videos for 2 hours - those poor kids, trying to behave for their mother, and did it help? No, it was just more proof that zombies had taken over their bodies! They were indeed doomed. :(

I couldn't agree more.

I dislike Prior intensely, and the fact that in this case he is defending such an excrecable excuse for a human being, makes him almost unbearable to watch, BUT in order for justice to be properly served *someone* has to provide a defense.

Despite the disadvantages he faces in terms of nor having a large team, the complexity of the case, a client who is a moral cess pit, and the eyes of the world watching his every move, he's on top of everything.

In his way Prior is as essential to securing a safe conviction and getting justice for the many victims in this case as the State is. I don't have to like him to acknowledge that (or that he's doing a good job of it in the face of almost insurmountable odds).

One item I noted from the prosecution witness today was that Chad's children had agreed, on the day the kids were found, to talk to LE. But the next day they refused to cooperate after discussing it with Chad. I think this was a good set-up before any of Chad's kids take the stand for the defense. The prosecution has planted it in the jury's minds that they are under the spell of Chad and therefore might not be forthcoming. They weren't cooperative with LE.

That is tragic. And a sign of their indoctrination into CD's cult line of thinking, distrust of outsiders. Really sad. I am almost sure CD moved his family to Rexburg, to get away from outside influences, like Tammy's family. CD could hardly disallow Tammy and the children to see her family, but he could definitely make it more difficult.

Just backtracking a bit to where Tylee was being "sweet" and had cleaned her room, and JJ was quietly watching videos for 2 hours - those poor kids, trying to behave for their mother, and did it help? No, it was just more proof that zombies had taken over their bodies! They were indeed doomed. :(
I just went back and listened to the phone calls, to Lori in jail, from Colby and Summer, after the kids' bodies were discovered. Their pain was almost unbearable. Then I listened to Summer, talking with Nate Eaton, after Lori's sentencing and her beautiful eulogy (I guess you'd call it) about Tylee and what she was like. Re-hearing all that puts me firmly in agreement with those who see Chad as the instigator of all of these murders.

I just watched Nate's Courtroom Insider for the last day's events, and I feel reassured about Larry and Kay. He described Larry being upset at first, but then later they were calm and sure it was going to be okay, and then afterwards, when the judge ruled against dismissal, they were in good spirits as they were rushing away to fly out for a family event. So they've weathered it better than I feared they might. Certainly better than I would have, under the circumstances.

MOO

I suspect I'm in a small minority, but the clerical error didn't really alarm me, because I'm about seeing CD be suitably rewarded for what He has done. And the charges are so numerous that having one less doesn't feel like it would even make a ripple of a difference, ultimately. Just my 2c.

I do see how it would hurt the heart of the Woodcocks, however, and can't imagine the grief they have endured. Grandkids own your heart, and you sure want to do right for them.

But when it comes down to practical terms, how many times can he be executed? It sure feels like he'll end up on death row with the state having an inability to dispense it for each and all of the many sentences he'll get. Or if he gets LWOP like Lori (a possibility I don't expect), how many lifetimes does he have to serve consecutive sentences? Isn't Lori working on her 1st of 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173