Trial - Ross Harris #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next witness for the defense is Michael Baygents, Harris’ brother. He’s a police officer in Tuscaloosa.

“I’m very nervous,” Baygents said in response to being asked that by Kilgore.

“I want you to tell us about how often you would get to see and visit with your brother and Leanna after Cooper’s birth,” Kilgore said.

Baygents said that he and his wife would visit the couple in Marietta, sometimes bringing their own children with them.

They visited about six times, staying with Leanna and Harris in their condo. Baygents said he and his wife would stay in Cooper’s room and Cooper would stay in the master bedroom with Harris and Leanna.

“We took in a Braves game. We went to dinner. We took the kids to different things … just family stuff,” Baygents said about the visits.

I agree with all your points gitana. It's the sum of it all. For me.

A accident would eliminate 6 of those charges. Jmo.

And the sexting minors may be considered time served.

Because I bet the judge noticed that the minor was probably sexting multiple men that are not on trial. Jmo

I would definitely like to know if others will be charged for sexting them as well .

That's a VERY good point, especially when some of them tried to say they were older than they were. :thinking:

Some coincidences or discrepancies or suspicious behaviors:
1. Just happened to stop taking daily photos of Cooper a couple weeks before incident. (I don't believe anything his ex says).
2. Ross watched a news report just recently about a guy who became an advocate after leaving his kid in a hot car, and as a result of the video, Ross has been turning and looking behind him at the car seat so he won't forget Copper, "because the worst fear of me is leaving my son in a hot car." He just coincidentallyhappened not that particular day. (I re watched the tape. Those were his exact words. It WAS his "worst" fear).
3. In addition to watching the news report about the man turned advocate who left his kid in the car, and having that impact him enough that he started to look behind him so he wouldn't forget Cooper, he also, right before Cooper died, watched a video of a vet showing exactly how hot it gets for dogs in the car. He watched the whole thing. And then left his son in the car shortly after.
4. The day before Cooper died, LH texted, “Don’t forget Cooper.” Answer, “NEVER.”
5. Typically doesn't go into Chik-fil-A to eat. Uses the drive-thru. Just happened to do so that day with his son, conveniently getting him on camera that morning. (Ross was a regular but the worker who helped him had never met Cooper before. Ross stated he usually went through the drive thru, which, by the way, would make it more believable that he had forgotten Cooper as opposed to actually taking him out of the car seat and interacting in the restaurant with him).
6. Often buys CFA for the workers at the daycare. Coincidentally did not order food for them that day.
7. Even though he usually calls the daycare when he's running late, he didn't that day, despite being quite late.
8. Cooper was wide awake when exiting the restaurant, but just happened to fall instantly asleep while parked in his car seat in the parking lot, before even driving off and stayed deeply asleep for the next six minutes. Cooper just happened to say nothing and made no noise the moment he was placed in the car. This is despite the fact that Ross stated that Cooper falls asleep real easily when you drive the car. Not when he's sitting in a parked car, not moving, which some feel happened for a few minutes before Ross left the parking lot.
9. He forgot his son in either a couple minutes after strapping him in tightly and kissing him or less than a minute after doing so. Protestations to the contrary, Cooper is not a cup of coffee. And I don't believe Ross was lulled into autopilot in a parked car or while driving 40 seconds to a turn. The cases I've read don't indicate something happening that quickly or in that manner.
10. For six to 7 minutes after leaving CFA, Ross didn't see his son although is proximity to the car seat and Cooper's head in that car was incredible. However magically, later that day, he saw his son when making a turn.
11. Despite his defense likely claiming distraction, or maybe exhaustion, Ross Harris has a very detailed, clear memory of every step he took the day Cooper died. So he remembered every damn minute of the day but forgot his son.
12. Ross just happened to park his car that morning, in a manner that involved backing in, but didn’t see his kid as he did so.
13. Communications about kids being at their childcare or getting there are often triggers for parents who accidentally left them in the car. But not for Ross. Not ever for Ross: Text from LH: “Get to work ok?” Wasn’t a trigger, even though the questio had a ‘safety” implication. And could trigger a memory of driving to work and to childcare.
14. He talked about his son at 11:17 a.m - not a trigger.
15. Email about his son? Not a trigger.
16. That day he texted: “When are you getting my buddy?” Not a trigger.
17. He just happened to have to go back to his car that afternoon to put something in it, but instead of putting the item in the back seat as many do, or carefully on the passenger seat, he tossed the fragile items in the front driver’s side, keeping his head above the roof line, and not looking or placing the items.
18. He just happened to coincidentally give some personal info about his plans to a security guard although he had never done so before.
19. He just happened to coincidentally take a longer route to the movies to meet his friends that evening - one that would have him drive by a crowded parking lot where he ‘discovered” his son.
20. A paramedic - not a cop - with no reason to lie, stated Ross showed no emotion when he pronounced the child dead.
21. His son is dead but he can, the very day he died, talk about wanting to be an advocate for hot car death prevention.
22. Ross was nonchalant as video showed, when he went into jail reception after arrest, sat with a relaxed posture and had small talk with another inmate. The day his son died.

These are not all, but some. And while I know there are possible explanations for each, when we find ourselves having to repeatedly contort and stretch to find an explanation as to why not one, not two, not three or four or five or six or seven but multiple coincidences don't add up to anything, I think logic an rationality are slipping a bit.

There are more than explanations for some things on that list- some are just inaccurate, some are distortions, many are innocuous, and others can only be dismissed by assuming Leanna is a liar, the latter for no reason I can understand as rational or logical.

The only items on your list I agree are questionable are those relating to what seem like should have been triggers after Ross arrived at work. For those, I'm waiting to hear the testimony of Dr. D, because I have been reading up on hot car deaths, anD it is the reality that what can seem inexplicable does happen, accidentally.

IMO I am finally seeing JRH genuinely break down and cry.

Unfortunately it's only during testimony about what a great dad he was. It wasn't during Cooper's crime scene photos or even when family pictures were being flipped through.

(No, I don't think dabbing at his eyes with dry Kleenex different times during the trial was true crying.)

Socio's have been known to be very chatty and charming. Just sayin........

Leanna says she didn't divorce Ross for so long because she "didn't know what to believe". I find THAT impossible to believe. He had a long history of inappropriate behavior regarding *advertiser censored* and affairs. She knew the truth.

I fully believe the only reason she divorced him was to appear more credible to the jury.

It's almost like she's brainwashed. I suspect he gaslighted her into believing their problems were her fault, and she feels guilty about it. *That* does make me feel sorry for her to an extent. But by now she should freaking know better.

I can see this, after all the press was putting their spin on her as well, trying to make her appear guilty. She lost her son and had her own world turned upside down, she was even criticized for what she said at the funeral. No wonder she didn't know what to believe.

“I think he loved Cooper more than life itself,” Baygents said.

He was kind to him; he played with him, Harris’ brother said.

“He was very attentive. That was his little buddy,” Baygents said.

Harris wept at the defense table as his brother described his relationship with his son.

Baygents said he had a chance to see Harris interact with Cooper just weeks before the toddler’s death. The families were vacationing on the beach.

Harris set up a big umbrella where Cooper could play and be out of the sun.

“Ross was right there the whole time,” Baygents said.

“He’s just a talker. He’s never met a stranger,” Baygents said about his brother. “It was really annoying going out. I’ve always been quiet, but Ross would talk to anybody and everybody. Really, it was annoying.”

Baygents testified that Harris was “really on him” about wanting the two families to go on a cruise. Baygents said he told his brother to look into it.

Baygents also testified that he actually got passports for his kids.

This was a serious plan,” Kilgore said. “Yes,” the witness replied.

Baygents said Harris used legal jargon and cop talk all the time. Referred to break room at the office as 10-7.

I do believe there are cases where this happens accidently. I just don't buy it in this case. IMO

Some coincidences or discrepancies or suspicious behaviors:
1. Just happened to stop taking daily photos of Cooper a couple weeks before incident. (I don't believe anything his ex says).
2. Ross watched a news report just recently about a guy who became an advocate after leaving his kid in a hot car, and as a result of the video, Ross has been turning and looking behind him at the car seat so he won't forget Copper, "because the worst fear of me is leaving my son in a hot car." He just coincidentally happened not to turn and "look again" that particular day. (I re watched the tape. Those were his exact words. It WAS his "worst" fear).
3. In addition to watching the news report about the man turned advocate who left his kid in the car, and having that impact him enough that he started to look behind him so he wouldn't forget Cooper, he also, right before Cooper died, watched a video of a vet showing exactly how hot it gets for dogs in the car. He watched the whole thing. And then left his son in the car shortly after.
4. The day before Cooper died, LH texted, “Don’t forget Cooper.” Answer, “NEVER.”
5. Typically doesn't go into Chik-fil-A to eat. Uses the drive-thru. Just happened to do so that day with his son, conveniently getting him on camera that morning. (Ross was a regular but the worker who helped him had never met Cooper before. Ross stated he usually went through the drive thru, which, by the way, would make it more believable that he had forgotten Cooper as opposed to actually taking him out of the car seat and interacting in the restaurant with him).
6. Often buys CFA for the workers at the daycare. Coincidentally did not order food for them that day.
7. Even though he usually calls the daycare when he's running late, he didn't that day, despite being quite late.
8. Cooper was wide awake when exiting the restaurant, but just happened to fall instantly asleep while parked in his car seat in the parking lot, before even driving off and stayed deeply asleep for the next six minutes. Cooper just happened to say nothing and made no noise the moment he was placed in the car. This is despite the fact that Ross stated that Cooper falls asleep real easily when you drive the car. Not when he's sitting in a parked car, not moving, which some feel happened for a few minutes before Ross left the parking lot.
9. He forgot his son in either a couple minutes after strapping him in tightly and kissing him or less than a minute after doing so. Protestations to the contrary, Cooper is not a cup of coffee. And I don't believe Ross was lulled into autopilot in a parked car or while driving 40 seconds to a turn. The cases I've read don't indicate something happening that quickly or in that manner.
10. For six to 7 minutes after leaving CFA, Ross didn't see his son although is proximity to the car seat and Cooper's head in that car was incredible. However magically, later that day, he saw his son when making a turn.
11. Despite his defense likely claiming distraction, or maybe exhaustion, Ross Harris has a very detailed, clear memory of every step he took the day Cooper died. So he remembered every damn minute of the day but forgot his son.
12. Ross just happened to park his car that morning, in a manner that involved backing in, but didn’t see his kid as he did so.
13. Communications about kids being at their childcare or getting there are often triggers for parents who accidentally left them in the car. But not for Ross. Not ever for Ross: Text from LH: “Get to work ok?” Wasn’t a trigger, even though the questio had a ‘safety” implication. And could trigger a memory of driving to work and to childcare.
14. He talked about his son at 11:17 a.m - not a trigger.
15. Email about his son? Not a trigger.
16. That day he texted: “When are you getting my buddy?” Not a trigger.
17. He just happened to have to go back to his car that afternoon to put something in it, but instead of putting the item in the back seat as many do, or carefully on the passenger seat, he tossed the fragile items in the front driver’s side, keeping his head above the roof line, and not looking or placing the items.
18. He just happened to coincidentally give some personal info about his plans to a security guard although he had never done so before.
19. He just happened to coincidentally take a longer route to the movies to meet his friends that evening - one that would have him drive by a crowded parking lot where he ‘discovered” his son.
20. A paramedic - not a cop - with no reason to lie, stated Ross showed no emotion when he pronounced the child dead.
21. His son is dead but he can, the very day he died, talk about wanting to be an advocate for hot car death prevention.
22. Ross was nonchalant as video showed, when he went into jail reception after arrest, sat with a relaxed posture and had small talk with another inmate. The day his son died.

These are not all, but some. And while I know there are possible explanations for each, when we find ourselves having to repeatedly contort and stretch to find an explanation as to why not one, not two, not three or four or five or six or seven but multiple coincidences don't add up to anything, I think logic an rationality are slipping a bit.

100% agree! I think some other "suspicious" things (his demeanor at the scene) were a bit overblown, but it doesn't take away from the many truly suspicious aspects of the case. One by one, you could explain away a weird thing here or a jarring thing there, but, put together, the evidence is pretty convincing. Again, not convinced they have proven intent, bit, IMO, the lower charges should apply.

Did Harris ever assist with internet-related matters at the Tuscaloosa police academy? Kilgore asked.
Yes, he said. He pulled video clips related to officer survival for classes Baygents taught.

When asked, Baygents said he loved his brother.

“You’re not going to lie for him are you,” Kilgore asked.
“I am not,” Baygents replied.

Kilgore pointed out that Baygents learned about the sexting and other things Harris has done.

“I am very ashamed of the things that he has done,” he testified.

IMO I am finally seeing JRH genuinely break down and cry.

Unfortunately it's only during testimony about what a great dad he was. It wasn't during Cooper's crime scene photos or even when family pictures were being flipped through.

(No, I don't think dabbing at his eyes with dry Kleenex different times during the trial was true crying.)

I have had the feeling that Ross really looks up to his brother and wanted to impress him. So this must be really hard on him. Very humiliating for him to have his brother see what an epic failure he was.

There many variables that we just can't know 100%. But based on the evidence and testimony to date, I see the murder related and possibly child cruelty charges coming back not guilty.

Because her behavior was so incredibly bizarre both at the time she learned of her baby's agonizing death, and after, with odd statements and behaviors at the funeral, etc., that she became a suspect and deeply disliked by the public. She wants to explain away her behavior in a manner that makes sense and won't cause more suspicion or anger. Admitting that she possibly was much more focused on her insecurities and her man than her son, as I believe, and thus was much more concerned about supporting her mate and being on his side, convicting him of her worth and sincerity, than she was about the torturous death of her baby, would not do that.

Makig statments that excuse Ross makes her own behavior less suspect.

Thank you for the explanation. We just disagree. I see and have always seen, from the first news of Cooper's death, a woman in shock, then one being set upon by a feral public first made suspicious by LE making her sound suspicious based on, I'm sorry, nothing more than interpretations about her behavior.

I see no evidence at all that she didn't place Cooper first, and lots of evidence that she did, including in their texts that we've seen.

I have had the feeling that Ross really looks up to his brother and wanted to impress him. So this must be really hard on him. Very humiliating for him to have his brother see what an epic failure he was.

That is a very good point. I just wish he had shown the same level of humiliation that he failed his son by leaving him in a hot car.

The prosecution is now cross-examining Baygents.

The defendant’s brother said he wasn’t aware that Harris had decided not to buy a house any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01