Trial Thread 10 May 2012 - Judge's Instructions and maybe deliberations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
35,000 people at the sentencing?

that'd be an amazing sight to see

I don't live in Woodstock but I'll be there provided I have enough notice so I can book off work

I couldn't 'quote |Lady L because the thread was closed.

I would be prepared to go to London even if it was just to stand outside the courthouse (respectfully) IF my presences was interpreted to be for support of the family and Tori. However, if my presences was interpreted as being sort of a vigilanti sort of thing or voyeaur <spck of news, that's not something I'd put myself into.

How do you peeps think a LARGE contingent of people would be viewed?

Well if they're all wearing purple, maybe even holding purple flowers or balloons I think it would be viewed as a beautiful show of support for Victoria and her family. And for all of the children who have been lost due to senseless acts of perversion and violence and their families who have to continue on without them.

MOO

I don't live in Woodstock but I'll be there provided I have enough notice so I can book off work

I would be prepared to go to London even if it was just to stand outside the courthouse (respectfully) IF my presences was interpreted to be for support of the family and Tori. However, if my presences was interpreted as being sort of a vigilanti sort of thing or voyeaur <spck of news, that's not something I'd put myself into.

JMO I think it would be seen as support for Tori and her loved ones, and you'd know in your heart why you were there, I think it's a very nice thing to do. JMO

Never thought of it being viewed THAT way. You are correct. Bad idea. Maybe better to plant a purple lilac tree or something in Tori's honor. Or donate bursary or scholarship money in her name to a local college or university. Or release a purple balloon from your home when the verdict is read. MOO Last thing we would want is something meant as good to turn ugly.

Mike Knoll: Superior Court Justice Thomas Heeney will be charging the jury today. Here's a defintion of "charge to the jury":

The judge's instructions to the jury concerning the law that applies to the facts of the case on trial.

The opinion expressed by the court to the jury, on the law arising out of a case before them.

It should contain a clear and explicit exposition of the law, when the points of the law in dispute arise out of the facts proved on the trial of the cause but the court ought at no time to undertake to decide the facts, for these are to be decided by the jury.

source: http://www.lectlaw.com/def/c163.htm

Never thought of it being viewed THAT way. You are correct. Bad idea. Maybe better to plant a purple lilac tree or something in Tori's honor. Or donate bursary or scholarship money in her name to a local college or university. Or release a purple balloon from your home when the verdict is read. MOO

Those are nice ideas too, many beautiful purple lilacs in bloom right now, I had been thinking of them as support for Tori too.

Mike Knoll: @Fergus - they will be immediately sequestered.

Comment From Fergus
Once the judge's charge is completed, is the jury immediately sequestered? (it was noted yesterday that the charge will take all day) Or would they come back in the morning and go into deliberations?

Mike Knoll: @guest - that's the impression we got from Justice Heeney yesterday. He told the jurors to bring toothbrushes and pyjamas.

Comment From Guest
Is the charge to take "all day" and as soon as it it done they deliberate?

Mike Knoll: @Guest - chances are it would happen the same day. There may be impact statements from the victim's family as well following the verdict - depending on what it is.

Comment From Guest
so if found guilty does Rafferty come back later for his sentencing?

ummm, can we write an impact letter???? cuz this has sure impacted me!!

RaffertyLFP: Waiting for the final day of the Rafferty trial to begin. Justice Thomas Heeney will deliver his charge to the jury

RaffertyLFP: Heeney will like take all day - have heard it is 104 pages.

Mike Knoll: @Guest - Randy Richmond will be sitting at the courthouse until there is a verdict.

Mike Knoll: @guest - Rafferty will be in court for the charge. The deliberations are held VERY privately in a jury room - Rafferty will not be present for that.

Mike Knoll: @guest - Randy Richmond will host this feed tomorrow from the courthouse starting at 10AM. He will answer as many questions as he can about articles that will be printed in between now and then.

RaffertyLFP: When Heeney is finished jury will begin their deliberations immediately, If necessary, they will be sequestered until they reach a verdict.

RaffertyLFP: On Wednesday Heeney warned them to "pack a toothbrush" Saw two women entering courthouse with suitcases - assume they were jurors

Were the jurors allowed to watch tv and internet while the trial was on BEFORE deliberations?

Holy smokes!

Holy smokes!

oh my :eek: (guys this is going to be some dry stuff.... if it was anything like the Jason Young and Anthony trials I followed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500