trial thread: 3/29/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
due to the limited publication ban we cannot do that at this time. However, if the jury is sequestered during deliberations that may be a good time to do one while we are on verdict watch

The jury will be sequestered during deliberations.

Thanks Jezebel..........that was a very well written and insightful post.

I think cameras should be allowed in our courtrooms, because the sound of voices, the demeanor of witnesses, the nuances of questioning,.........much of the atmosphere the jury is witnessing is lost when the trial is reported by a jumble of tweets.........or the end of day reporting.

As we have noted here............reporters listening to the same testimony are printing differing facts in their stories.

Thanks for attending.........on behalf of everyone who wants justice for Tori.

You are very welcome Adry. I can’t do anything to help bring her back but I sure can sit and make myself listen to her story and the tragic ending of her life no matter how hard. It’s the least I can do for a child who deserved so much more. :(

I went because I wanted to see and hear for myself TLM testify to the events of that day, like you said to get a better understanding of how she spoke, how MTR reacted etc, it definitely is a different feeling then reading the tweets. The testimony goes back and forth a lot (well it did that day) so I can see how hard it is to get the information through in a tweet.

I tried to keep an open mind on this case, and hope to see some sort of remorse from MTR, but I didn’t, he just looked mean and menacing, maybe it was because TLM was testifying, when I go again I will see if his demeanour is different at all. If the jury’s sees what I saw on the stand, it is not the look of an innocent man and that is one of the things that keeps me from believing the defence theory.

JMO

sorry for all the questions but what does sequestered mean? can someone please explain this too me.

it means that they will be put in "seclusion" from the media, newspapers, etc during their deliberations (most likely in a hotel) to keep them from being unduly influenced while they are reaching a verdict. (typically in the US there will be guards, etc as well.... even their computer use, etc is monitored)

hope that helps :)

Definition of sequestered jury:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sequester

So, here's some further questions:

Is this jury sequestered all throughout the trial, or may they go home at night, days off and weekends?

I imagine serving on a jury, especially in a long, high profile case as this, is quite a commitment. What are jurors paid? Are they paid per day or per hour? How does it compare with minimum wage? Who would be willing to give up a decent paying job or career to three months to serve on a jury and maybe return to find their weren't really missed and have no job security?

Is this jury sequestered all throughout the trial, or may they go home at night, days off and weekends?

I imagine serving on a jury, especially in a long, high profile case as this, is quite a commitment. What are jurors paid? Are they paid per day or per hour? How does it compare with minimum wage? Who would be willing to give up a decent paying job or career to three months to serve on a jury and maybe return to find their weren't really missed and have no job security?

I don't think they had a choice if they wanted to sit on the jury or not. From what I heard and have been told it is around 50 bucks a day and once it goes past 20 days it is up to 100. I think don't quote me on that but I remember reading something about it. JMO. I would think they are allowed to go home but I have also heard that sometimes Jurors are held in a motel room throughout the whole thing. That would be very costly so I am assuming it is just for deliberations. I would not want to sit on this jury that is forsure. I know myself I am confused by everything so far I can't imagine what their mind is like. But on the other hand they get to see everything for face value where we just hear and like someone said before we just hear what the reporters want us to hear.
JMO

Jayfriend, they are not currently sequestered (they will only be sequestered for deliberations)

"Well it’s always a matter of finding jurors who care bear the burden of a four to five month commitment. Not all employers give jurors time off, or paid time off, and so for any small business owner it would destroy their business. You're just trying to find that person who has the time to spend in a jury trial, and then the other consideration is to find that person who is not bias."

Jurors in the trial will get 40 dollars a day that will go up to 100 dollars a day past the 25th day. Normally, jurors in the province are paid 40 dollars a day if they sit longer than 10 days, and from day 50 on they get 100 dollars a day.

http://www.fm96.com/channels/newsinfo/localnews/Story.aspx?ID=1661995

Can an employer actually fire an employee because they have been chosen to sit on a jury though? I am confused by this "Not all employers give jurors time off, or paid time off, and so for any small business owner it would destroy their business."

Can an employer actually fire an employee because they have been chosen to sit on a jury though? I am confused by this "Not all employers give jurors time off, or paid time off, and so for any small business owner it would destroy their business."

They can't fire you, but they don't have to pay you.

•Employers are required by law to allow employees time off for jury duty.
•The law does not require employers to pay salary for employees summoned for jury duty, although some employers do. Speak with your employer to determine if they have a policy to pay people absent from work for jury duty.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/jury/general_jury_duty_info.asp

It is my understanding in Canada that a jury does not get sequestered during a trial as it causes undue hardship on the juror, the only time they get sequestered is during deliberations.

Jurors are paid per day, and it is not very much. The longer the trial the more money they receive. I know there was an article at the beginning of this trial saying what these jurors are being paid. I will see if I can find the article to link.

I know where I work, they would still give me my full pay though deduct what I am receiving from the court. Most companies understand the obligation of having to serve on a jury, so I don't think the majority of people are concerned about losing their jobs because they can't fire you for being on a jury. I would think the days the jury is not sitting, they probably go to work that day.

Of course they can't legally fire someone (unless it's a temp agency job or they're still on a 90-day probationary period, when no reason has to be given). However, if an employer can get by without you for 3 months, how secure is your job? I guess a more familiar situation would be maternity or parental leave.

This is a confusing statment - and I wonder if the writer combined two separate thoughts into one - I don't see how employers giving time off is related to a small business owner's business being destroyed by serving on a jury.

But I can provide more info regarding the latter portion of the statement. My DH & I run a small business. He's been summoned for jury duty three times now - and each time, we have been under contract for a large project with time constrictions - so he's applied to be excused from his obligation to serve due to the hardship it would impose on our business. Thank goodness, the judges seem to recognize that serving on jury duty actually could destroy a small business - if either my DH or I were unavailable for any length of time, we would soon be in big trouble since there is no one else who can step in to our roles... and so those who depend on us for their livelihood would suffer, as well as us. Maybe in retirement, we can do our civic duty :)

I attended a funeral today and burial. Coincidentally, the burial was at the cemetery where Victoria Stafford is buried. I said a prayer and left a coin which seems to be what people are doing. It sure made all of this more real for me. I prayed for justice.

everyone is pretty quiet today!!! do we know who is on stand tomorrow?

Not sure who is all taking the stand, but it is supposed to be a busy day. HOPEFULLY, by later tomorrow we have some answers to some questions that have been floating around here i.e forensic evidence found at crime scene and on Tori's remains.

My DH & I run a small business. He's been summoned for jury duty three times now - and each time, we have been under contract for a large project with time constrictions - so he's applied to be excused from his obligation to serve due to the hardship it would impose on our business.
Why is it that folks who can't afford or don't want to serve are called multiple times? In the 50-odd years I've been eligible, I've only once received a letter saying I was on a list and that was the end of it. :waiting: Lots of people I know have been on juries more than once.

I attended a funeral today and burial. Coincidentally, the burial was at the cemetery where Victoria Stafford is buried. I said a prayer and left a coin which seems to be what people are doing. It sure made all of this more real for me. I prayed for justice.

for what is the coin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member