Trial Thread 4/18/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm guessing he has more than one question for this girl. And I'm also guessing there wouldn't be much point putting him on the stand as there is no doubt he is a pathalogical liar. MOO

How many women are on this jury 8 out of 12? Not good! Everytime there's another women I'm shocked.

AM980.ca‏@AM980_CourtReply
That's a running count discussed among a group of reporters.

AM980.ca‏@AM980_Court
For this who have asked, it seems as though Rafferty dated 13 women in spring of 2009, 7 after Tori kidnapping. Hard to keep track, though.

I don't know, but a transcript would be helpful I'm sure. I think it's very important that they all takes notes. I'm sure it would be very easy for details to get lost in one's memory in a situation like this.

Maybe we could "lend" them ours. lol.

The really scary thing about this guy is that IMO he has never showed the least bit of remorse for what he did to Tori. He didn't even feel bad for her family, probably watched all the pressers and knew how devastated they were but kept pushing that it was over a drug debt. People like him should be locked up for the rest of their life. You can't rehabilitate someone who has no remorse. MOO

Nor does he appear to have any remorse about how he affected the lives of all of these women who got involved with him after the murder. Or his poor mother who was the excuse for a lot of his lies and who lost a long term live in boyfriend thanks to his manipulating of her. He really seems like a true sociopath. A sociopath who had absolutely no respect for women and who had not one male friend it appears. Not in his youth and not in his adulthood.

MOO

Just curious, but when the jury finally goes out to deliberate, do they have a transcript of the trial, or just their memory and notes? (I realize if there's something important that they're not sure they remember correctly, they can ask for it to be cleared up.)

Years ago the Court Stenographer recorded everything said at trial during the day and transcribed it in the evenings. That way if the jury needed anything, it would hopefully be available right away. In any event, he or she was available to read back the proceedings from her notes if required.

Nowadays, everything is electronically recorded for posterity. Should the jury wish to hear certain parts again, they can ask and an excerpt will be made available to them.

The whole trial is then, I believe, transferred onto a CD and that makes up the transcript. If either side needed a printed version of the trial or parts of it (say for appeal purposes), one can be ordered from the Court Clerk (huge cost) or there are transcribing services that will do that for you for a fee. I am not sure that just anyone can order a CD or a transcribed copy tho ... I doubt that very much.

RaffertyLFP: Media at overflow court discussing how Rafferty managed to date so many women at one time

Some women testifying about Rafferty's timeline. Others about comments about Tori. RT @Oscar_the_cat Why does his dating history matter?

IMO I don't think the jury is given entire transcript. They have to rely on their memory and notes. If there is a portion that needs clarification then they can ask the judge to have it read back to them.

I think the reason they don't allow the transcripts in the deliberation is two fold:

1) They might not ready (proof read, approved, etc)
2) The jury may take too much time reading the transcript than deliberating. (discussing amongst themselves)

My spouse sat on a murder jury 20 years ago, and she said they weren't allowed any notes from the trial during deliberations. They could ask for specific testimony or questions on legal issues from the judge.

It might have changed since then.

She has never discussed the jury deliberations, but said the most important factor for the jurors was the instructions from the Judge on what they should consider when deciding their verdict.

JMO...........

Many of the Female jurors are fairly young. I wonder if the Defense chose based on understanding different dating rules today? Wouldn't be "as" shocked by somebody using a Dating site? And or serial dating?

AM980.ca‏@AM980_CourtReply
That's a running count discussed among a group of reporters.

AM980.ca‏@AM980_Court
For this who have asked, it seems as though Rafferty dated 13 women in spring of 2009, 7 after Tori kidnapping. Hard to keep track, though.

Wowsa! We all need new Blackberries just to keep track of his social calendar! Does anybody have a spreadsheet on the go that they are willing to share

I'd like to hear more about JG's drug rip off TM testified about. JMO

RaffertyLFP: Jury is coming back in Meloche will be cross-examined by Derstine

RaffertyLFP: Derstine asks Meloche if she ever saw a back seat in Rafferty's car She says no

The jury has returned. Derstine now asking questions.

He asks if Meloche had ever seen a back seat in Rafferty's car. She said no.

Asks about tools in his car. She saw them in the trunk in late April 2009.

No more questions.

I'd like to hear more about JG's drug rip off TM testified about. JMO

I don't think we will as it appears it has nothing to do with the case.MOO And if it did have to do with the case it would be MR that was ripped off. MOO

I wonder if he went on a dating spree because he knew it was only a matter of time before he was behind bars? Who knows, I guess we can't guess how a sinister mind thinks. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot