Tropical Storm Bertha forms--and sets a record. Atlantic

I wish it would hit Carolina as a tropical storm with no one getting hurt of course.

I'm with you Spazkat, between the fires and the draught, we need the rain! I'm watching this one closely.

Another Bertha?

There was a Hurricane Bertha when I was about 9 years old. That was only 13 years ago. I didn't think they recycled names so quickly!

I do like finding out about the really old ones. Supposedly the first one was in Jamestown; they just didn't know what it was then.

anthrobones, are you talking about the Jamestown flood in PA?
Just curious, my husband had relatives in that one.

I live in very SW CA. Wonderful here.

xxxooooooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Sharp northwest turn appears likely for Bertha
By KATHLEEN CHAPMAN
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, July 06, 2008 Bertha seemed more likely to veer away from South Florida on Sunday, as models predicted a sharp turn to the northwest.

But it will be days before forecasters can say with any certainty whether the tropical storm will threaten land.

"It's still way too early," Dan Dixon of the National Weather Service in Miami said Sunday.

The storm showed the first signs of developing an eye on Sunday afternoon and could strengthen to a hurricane early this week.

Bertha is moving into warmer waters as it heads west at 20 miles per hour, but should run into wind shear in 48 hours, forecasters said.

All of the models agree that the storm will turn to the northwest when a ridge over the western Atlantic weakens.

"But there is a lot of uncertainty as to when that turn will occur," Dixon said.

xxxxxxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

I was living in Buxton, NC when Hurricane Bertha forced us to evacuate, I think it was back in 1996? We lived THISCLOSE to the cape hatteras lighthouse. Anyhow, we evacuated to Wilmington, NC since family lived there. Who would of guessed it would come right for us. It was interesting seeing the eye go over us. I saw trees bending like they were made of clay. It was an experience. Went back to Hatteras a week later with some flooding but all was okay! I still have the shirt that says, "I survived Big Bertha".

I was in the center of Jeanne not 10 days after Francis hit. (I was away when Francis hit)
I evacuated the keys when Wilma hit and again wound up in the eye of it in Ft Lauderdale.
Luckily we were all fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back