Truckers call for strike

Hi Liz,
Was the money to be given back to tax payers really borrowed from China? I did not know that!:eek:

I've heard this repeated numerous times, as fact, on the all news channels. (Not that hearing it makes it so, but I am inclined to believe it.)

I dug this up ... first article I came to. I think it's addressed under #2:

http://www.philforhumanity.com/Tax_Rebate_2008.html

I'll see if I can find a more credible source (other than a blog) a little later!

I have been at this for over 30 years now myself and have made a profit until the last two years, I also was a broker at one point. The profit has decined more and more over the last two years. So I dont think I am too new to this. As far as brokering goes, I am the only one in this office, can not afford to hire anyone to help out so I do not have the time to go out and get the customers and make contracts to broker. Besides, I dont like brokering loads. I have a logistics degree, and coridinating freight moves is my thing, not being a sales person. Take into account ONLY what those two company owned trucks costs to operate and take into account ONLY what those two generate and you will see it is the brokerage that is making your company money, not the trucks.

I understand the income/expense, I do all of our accounting for the trucks we lease to 10 owner operators and own 2 trucks ourselves and for 20-30 loads we broker per day. So we do have the expense of maintianing our own trucks/trailers (reefer)...we do have just as much if not MORE overhead then you....we have an office, also have a fax and 8 lines we have to pay for, high speed internet, DAT, ITS, taxes, insurance, WC, salaries, full benefits, 401K, I could go and and on, so we are experiencing the same as you...I guess the years of experience has made it run smoothly here, every month we turn profit...except maybe May-July...sometimes we break even or are a little under because we have to pay more $$ then we make to keep our customers happy at the hardest time to get trucks for us.

There is nothing that can go on here I don't know about. Our guys are the best and go out of their way...I understand that they are all not like us, we are told that daily. The truckers that haul for us have been pretty much the same 'crowd' for over 50 yrs.

Seems like you didn't pick the right business to get into? Maybe you should be brokering? Or, there has to be a smarter way to do it? Not sure, but I sure hope you can figure it out, you seem very frustrated, and I hate that you are struggling. So awesome to get out there and try to make it like you are, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the downs of it right now.

PLEASE DON'T EXCEED 55 MPH on our highways. Save gas. BE A LEADER maybe the elected will get a clue on what leadership is & that it is sorely needed at this time in our history.

These corrupt oil executives today were blaming our high usage on their need to import oil at a higher cost. DO YOUR PART TO STOP THIS CRAZINESS.
PLEASE. DECREASE OUR USAGE in every way possible.

PLEASE DON'T EXCEED 55 MPH on our highways. Save gas. BE A LEADER maybe the elected will get a clue on what leadership is & that it is sorely needed at this time in our history.

These corrupt oil executives today were blaming our high usage on their need to import oil at a higher cost. DO YOUR PART TO STOP THIS CRAZINESS.
PLEASE. DECREASE OUR USAGE in every way possible.

Good post!

My husband drives a big rig for a medium sized family owned company. 3rd generation. The company has 2 diesel pumps and the guys fill up before they go and when they get back. If they need to stop, they use their Fleet cards. I think it gives the company a discount on the gas.
Lately, we have seen many trucking companies just close up overnight. A couple of weeks ago, my husbands companys job was to pick up all the big machines, tractors...etc.... because they were being repossessed. :( I feel so bad for these guys that have worked so long and so hard just to go belly up because the economy is in the crapper.
Pretty soon these companies will end up being the ones to transport food products and other necessities. They just have to trick out some trucks.
My husband rarely ever has a day off. This Monday it was storming so I actually had him to myself on a weekday! His rig would have just sunk in the mud anyways. lol Tuesday was back to normal and now the auction pick ups are getting ready to go.
We've had to broker stuff out too. Don't want to turn down loads, so the new guys grab the small ones. (they still get paid the same for the small ones if they are within 75 miles, then it goes to percentage.)
At least the boss understands that we have to keep on going and take whatever is put our way. This kind of work at this kind of pay with Union and great benefits aren't easy to get, so we keep pushing for more and more runs! We had a few scary weeks with low loads and it really dents the savings!!:mad:

Now, me personally. I've cut down going to Town wich is at least 15 miles away to once a week, unless I have a dr.s appt or something. To run around to friends in the neighborhood or the shop, I just ride my beautiful green Kawasaki. A tank at $6.00 lasts for months. lol

So, what was the impact of the trucker's strike/slow down? It's suddenly non-news.

One problem is past and current American values of everyone using a car at every opportunity, but it would take decades to get needed transportation systems in place in the US to enable Americans to get to work and shopping. I live in a suburb. There's no way I could have ridden to work from here because the bus service times are not right, and there's no train.

The other problem is that OPEC and big oil companies know our dependence on oil and are willing to screw users for a fat profit. I'm guessing the current Congressional investigation will amount to zero. Congress is responding, but this will all die down. After all, oil money supports politicians.

So, what was the impact of the trucker's strike/slow down? It's suddenly non-news.The other problem is that OPEC and big oil companies know our dependence on oil and are willing to screw users for a fat profit. I'm guessing the current Congressional investigation will amount to zero. Congress is responding, but this will all die down. After all, oil money supports politicians.

I wonder if we as drivers in the nation stood together and did not buy gas for 2 days what would happen. I think that would work better than not driving because people have to drive to work and hospital etc. One could plan ahead fill up your car/s then if necessary fill a couple of gas cans to have on hand. Surely that would be enough for 2 days driving. If we could organize this nationwide and plan to coordinate it with the truckers you can't tell me it would not work. Ask any gas station. I know some people would have to buy gas but we sure could make an impression.

I can't say as I blame them. I am pretty sure someone will step in and replace them with south of the border truckers and their whole point will be missed. we are all so easily replaced with foreign workers anymore it is pathetic.

I can't say as I blame them. I am pretty sure someone will step in and replace them with south of the border truckers and their whole point will be missed. we are all so easily replaced with foreign workers anymore it is pathetic.

Honestly, I wonder what can be done, if anything at all. Not buying gas for a day or two wouldn't have much of an impact. Airlines are already cutting schedules, and they use a lot of fuel. Still, I saw the price of gas had increased by 24 cents since yesterday. Something's got to give. IMO the Congressional investigation of oil companies will end up being a big nothing.
OPEC's got us by the tail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back