TSA Patdown of Child: Too Far?

Agreed but there are still specific TSA rules that one must abide by. Patdowns are still a possibility in Pre-TSA if passengers don't observe the restrictions correctly!

Maybe. But you have to submit to an extensive background check that includes a personal interview. Even with a precheck you can still be pulled out of line for further screening at the discretion of TSA.

We have been pre checked and it saves a lot of time. It's good to do especially if you travel a lot.

MOO but it's not too far. If the laptop wasn't it in the bag the patdown wouldn't have happened. Rules are rules and they apply to everyone.

I'm not a big fan of the "rules are rules" mentality. Frankly, I think it is just an excuse for mediocrity and sometimes even evil. Everything isn't okay just because it is labeled a rule. The rule has to be appropriate and make sense and should not unnecessarily deprive anyone of civil or other rights.

It does not make sense that a young boy wearing thin clothing needs to be fondled for two minutes to check for a bomb or weapon, just because he left a laptop in his bag. The body scanner is very high tech. It should suffice. They already have to take off jackets and shoes. I don;t mind some extra screening and questions but at a certain point, we need to decide when we are going to sacrifice common sense, efficacy and reason for the sake of fear and for mediocrity.

This "rule" does nothing to keep anyone safe. Groping a child for forgetting to pull his laptop out of the bag before it goes through the x-ray seems ridiculous.

I'm not a big fan of the "rules are rules" mentality. Frankly, I think it is just an excuse for mediocrity and sometimes even evil. Everything isn't okay just because it is labeled a rule. The rule has to be appropriate and make sense and should not unnecessarily deprive anyone of civil or other rights.

It does not make sense that a young boy wearing thin clothing needs to be fondled for two minutes to check for a bomb or weapon, just because he left a laptop in his bag. The body scanner is very high tech. It should suffice. They already have to take off jackets and shoes. I don;t mind some extra screening and questions but at a certain point, we need to decide when we are going to sacrifice common sense, efficacy and reason for the sake of fear and for mediocrity.

This "rule" does nothing to keep anyone safe. Groping a child for forgetting to pull his laptop out of the bag before it goes through the x-ray seems ridiculous.

I'm terribly afraid this horse has already left the barn.

So now I guess I need to do some research. I'm wondering... exactly how "high tech" are these body scanners??

I agree and have to wonder if there is also some sort of quota they are made to fulfill so as to avoid any perception of racial profiling. I'm not a proponent of racial profiling but, where airline security is concerned, statistics, common sense and consistency should prevail. Otherwise, it's pointless. IMHO.
I don't believe people should be profiled based on nationality, race, religion, etc. IMO, TSA agents should be trained in behavioral profiling. I remember after 9/11 some of the high-jackers were viewed on surveillance prior to boarding the airplanes and certain aspects of their behavior were noted. I don't remember what the behaviors were in detail, but one IIRC was that they weren't carrying luggage.

I don't believe people should be profiled based on nationality, race, religion, etc. IMO, TSA agents should be trained in behavioral profiling. I remember after 9/11 some of the high-jackers were viewed on surveillance prior to boarding the airplanes and certain aspects of their behavior were noted. I don't remember what the behaviors were in detail, but one IIRC was that they weren't carrying luggage.

Of course they should be profiled based on their nationality etc...along with other factors. I also agree the security personnel need to be paid more. We need to use Israel as a model

I took my first flight around 6-7 years ago. More than 40 years ago, I had back surgery which included a metal rod implanted along my spine. I tried getting a copy of my x-ray, which some said was helpful (I asked a lot of questions and studied the TSA website), but wasn't able to get it in time.

But, when I went through security, I let the TSA agent know about the metal rod in my back. She took me to an area where she used the wand to scan me. When she held the wand near my waist, it would start beeping. I realized the wrap-around brace I was wearing had metal stays in it and I informed the agent. She concentrated scanning in that area, but was very kind and was satisfied that I was safe to continue through. I didn't have to take off the brace.

The hardest part was taking my shoes off because I don't bend easily. I don't remember which shoes I wore, but I think I was able to slip my shoes off. After I got through security, I had to find someplace to sit down to put my shoes back on. It seems airlines are a lot stricter now. I really think they've gone too far--to the point that air travel is becoming inaccessible to many people. It can separate families, and limit employment options since many jobs require travel. JMO

Maybe. But you have to submit to an extensive background check that includes a personal interview. Even with a precheck you can still be pulled out of line for further screening at the discretion of TSA.

We have been pre checked and it saves a lot of time. It's good to do especially if you travel a lot.

I know. ;) I was 'being funny'. (Hopefully :D )

I took my first flight around 6-7 years ago. More than 40 years ago, I had back surgery which included a metal rod implanted along my spine. I tried getting a copy of my x-ray, which some said was helpful (I asked a lot of questions and studied the TSA website), but wasn't able to get it in time.

But, when I went through security, I let the TSA agent know about the metal rod in my back. She took me to an area where she used the wand to scan me. When she held the wand near my waist, it would start beeping. I realized the wrap-around brace I was wearing had metal stays in it and I informed the agent. She concentrated scanning in that area, but was very kind and was satisfied that I was safe to continue through. I didn't have to take off the brace.

The hardest part was taking my shoes off because I don't bend easily. I don't remember which shoes I wore, but I think I was able to slip my shoes off. After I got through security, I had to find someplace to sit down to put my shoes back on. It seems airlines are a lot stricter now. I really think they've gone too far--to the point that air travel is becoming inaccessible to many people. It can separate families, and limit employment options since many jobs require travel. JMO

I usually wear Crocs when flying... I have rheumatoid arthritis and never know how I'll feel from one day to the next and if I'll even be able to tie a shoe. Even with precheck I am not 'risking' it anymore. They're horrid looking but so convenient!

Going through security one time when my youngest was about 5 they tried to rush everyone through as fast as possible. He became separated from us when they waved him through while I was putting carryons on the conveyer. I was so mad. Told them they were there so people could be safe and kids were people too. Not sure what all I yelled (I do tend to stay polite even when I'm mad though, lol) but they got the point and apologized.

And then there's my friend who's Italian, but apparently looks middle-eastern. He gets 'randomly chosen' for extra checks almost every time he flies. Flying just isn't fun anymore... and even though for us (= my family) it's a necessary evil and it doesn't have to be a big party all the way every day, it sure would be nice if you were allowed to keep a little shred of dignity every once in a while.

The TSA obviously knows they are pushing things too far, here's some news from the first of the month:

TSA Warns Local Police About Its New Airport Pat-Downs

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration has declined to say exactly where—and how—employees will be touching air travelers as part of the more invasive*physical pat-down*procedure it recently ordered.

But the agency does expect some passengers to consider the examination unusual. In fact, the TSA decided to inform local police in case anyone calls to report an “abnormal” federal frisking, according to a memo from an airport trade association obtained by Bloomberg News. The physical search, for those selected to have one, is what the agency described as a more “comprehensive” screening, replacing five separate kinds of pat-downs it previously used.

Personally, if they put me through one, I'd start making very lewd sexual commentary and tell them how much it turns me on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TSA reaches out to mother of boy in viral pat-down video

http://www.wthr.com/article/tsa-reaches-out-to-mother-of-boy-in-viral-pat-down-video

She said she was asked to become a member of disabilities coalition within the TSA, in addition to collaborating with them to author a piece of training that would address sensitivity for the agents and helping the TSA to clarify language on the website about procedure and policies.

In a statement to NBC News, the TSA confirmed it had reached out to Williamson.

"TSA engaged in conversation with Ms. Williamson to learn more about her family's screening experience at Dallas Fort Worth airport. While the proper procedures were followed, we appreciate her feedback and look forward to continued dialogue," TSA spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said in an email.

"TSA has a long-standing partnership with a coalition of disability advocacy groups, community-based organizations and individuals, and we welcome Ms. Williamson's input," Farbstein said. "TSA is committed to ensuring the security of travelers, while treating all with dignity and respect."

There is NO way I am going through the body scanner ever. Women do pat downs for women. I have always been right out in the open. They always announce what they are doing each pat of the way, Sometimes we have been traveling for three days straight because of the length of our flights and layovers. I imagine I am not that delightful without a shower.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Because we travel a lot internationally with many plane changes, I have accepted it as a part of travel. That or stay home.

What does Israel do? They are really good at it

So now I guess I need to do some research. I'm wondering... exactly how "high tech" are these body scanners??

If you fly, find out if you need more rays going through your body. The pat down is no big deal, You are right in the open with passengers everywhere.

The agent should be FIRED. Seriously, what was he looking for? Or feeling for?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back