Turkey - Jacky Sutton, 50, British journalist, dies in airport restroom, 17 Oct 2015

I hope there will be a truly independent autopsy by someone not connected to Turkish authorities.

The official version of what happened is highly suspect and I dare say the Turkish 'autopsy' will back up their version of events.

This was an experienced woman used to living and working in that part of the world. She had just attended the funeral of her predecessor at work who died as a result of a car bomb. She sent messages which made it clear that she felt her life could be in danger. Suggesting she killed herself because she missed her connection sounds like complete nonsense.

When I first read about this, my spidey senses were tingling too. It seemed suspicious, only because this all happened in an airport, the person was a journalist, it was in Turkey, and the official line is "suicide". Suspicious right away.

Turkey is an "interesting" place right now with lots of different elements going on. Honestly, you probably don't want to be there unless you have legitimate reason being there (she had, she's a journalist). But it reminds me of what Lebanon was like back in the day, where because of its close proximity to all the hot-bed mid-east war zones, and proxy war conflicts, and issues with regional stability that is brewing, is full of security services from all national stripes working there. I'm guessing every other foreigner of Turkey probably works in the security services of some nation. As everybody knows by now, Turkey, because of geographic location as a neighbor of Syria and as a so called allied friendly state to the west, is also being used as a transit point for would-be terrorists with western passports that want to travel to the war zone (because technically westerners shouldn't have a problem traveling to an allied country on paper, or at least this was happening until the recent paradigm shift from the Russian air campaign that is a game changer for sure regarding their motivations to travel to Syria). And even though Turkey is seen as an "ally" to the West with an apparently western friendly 'secular' government on the outset, it is important to note the political shifts and unrest seemingly brewing underneath in the region, due to the intrinsic hardline religious makeup of the population, wherein such west-friendly allegiance of this "secular" Turkey is honestly a questionable long term viability from the way things are developing. Basically, look at the history of Iran - Turkey reminds me of what Iran was like before the Iranian revolution. Overall, I would say unless one was a journalist, works in the security services, or had family there, Turkey is probably not a good travel destination.

Regarding this case, wasn't there indication she had a history with depression and was once prescribed psych meds (Prozac)? It is possible it was suicide if she had a history with depression.

That being said, she is a journalist. Brainstorming on the more sinister possibilities: It is well known that many journalists covering war zones also do work for the security services. So is this perhaps related to something with her other career (if she was indeed in the security services)? You can never rule that out. If she wasn't, and was only a straight up journalist, well, its not the first time a journalist got 'silenced' because of something unpopular that they are working on that they want to publish. She also leads other extracurricular roles besides her role as a journalist - so could it be related to conflicts caused with those activities?

I guess we will never know. To me, this is suspicious. However, there are too many variables for anyone to figure out the real truth. However, my profile of someone in her position with a history of depression, would not have ended their life in a public area like that. I think someone in her profile would do so in private. So to me, it is suspicious.

My husband and I returned from a trip to Greece and Turkey last week. The western part of Turkey is very safe and nice, IMO. There were tons of Americans and other "Westerners". Istanbul and the western coast is nothing like the rest of Turkey. I was surprised by the warmth and kindness that was extended to us by its citizens where we were at. They depend on tourism, and would not like any stories of a foreigner killed there. But, after the recent bombing at the peace rally, I worry that the violence will find its way to those nicer and safer places.

Only 2 in this list, of journalists killed in Turkey over many years, were found hanged.
Noting one forced suicide by hanging..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Turkey
bbm.
"Metin Alataş 3 April 2010 Adana aged 34, distributing the Kurdish daily newspaper Azadiya Welat, was found hanging from a tree. He was also attacked in December whilst distributing the paper in the region. Colleagues believe he was killed by "illegal forces" or forced to commit suicide.[37]"

Also noting, journalists who have committed suicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Journalists_who_committed_suicide

Only 2 in this list, of journalists killed in Turkey over many years, were found hanged.
Noting one forced suicide by hanging..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Turkey
bbm.
"Metin Alataş 3 April 2010 Adana aged 34, distributing the Kurdish daily newspaper Azadiya Welat, was found hanging from a tree. He was also attacked in December whilst distributing the paper in the region. Colleagues believe he was killed by "illegal forces" or forced to commit suicide.[37]"

Also noting, journalists who have committed suicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Journalists_who_committed_suicide

In prison there are many suspected "force suicide by hanging" where an inmate with a grudge would kill another inmate and make it look like the inmate killed themselves.

In an airport it would be a likely way to fake a murder and try to get away with it.

A good autopsy should show some signs of a struggle if that's the case.

The way she went through that airport sure didn't look like she was ready to commit suicide. She looked like a normal traveler trying to get to her gates.
Im leaning toward foul play.

If she wasn't, and was only a straight up journalist, well, its not the first time a journalist got 'silenced' because of something unpopular that they are working on that they want to publish. She also leads other extracurricular roles besides her role as a journalist - so could it be related to conflicts caused with those activities?

See below, she was working on projects to counter violent extremism.

Originally Posted by Fifth Avenue View Post
The agency also said: “Jacky was returning to Iraq full of plans for innovative new work, including projects to counter violent extremism that threatens a country to which she was so committed.”

Just thinking about this further.

Someone working at the airport security level would likely have her name listed on a travel warning or something if their government had some kind of list of people to watch for. Like if their government had a list of people to watch out for due to political reasons.

If someone working in their security area decided they did not like the work she was doing then think how simple it would be to realize who she was as she came through the ticket gates. Security may have pulled her out of a line to bring her in for questioning in the "back room" and she may have never made it out.

This could of been just a rogue security person who decided to take matters into their own hands based on their own beliefs OR it could have been more coordinated.

Where is the CCTV footage of when she goes into the bathroom. Surely the airport has cameras that cover all areas. I find it suspect there is no CCTV footage of her going in the bathroom door.

I live in Istanbul as a foreign woman and travel through this airport about once a month. Been working here for seven years and not connected with any security services - there are tens of thousands of foreigners working here in normal jobs and although the political situation is tense at the moment, I wouldn't agree that Turkey isn't a place for foreigners to be at all.

Had similar comments when the lady from New York was murdered here a few years ago - that was the reason I joined web sleuths as I couldn't bear the sexist victim blaming comments hinting that women shouldn't travel alone to "places like Turkey". Glad none of that is happening on this thread.

Its no secret that some members of intelligence community are disguised as human rights activists or journalists or embassy workers.
At times they just share information they come across they otherwse cannot publish for (national) security reasons.
In some places all foreigners are treated as spies, the more tyrannical regime is, like North Korea, former Soviet Union, the more paranoid, they are. I would never go to Turkey, but I dont say others shouldnt.

This photo was posted by lebanes journo, note women covered now, so Turkey has gone backwards.
What a difference 90 years make, Turkey' leader now and then
(Also Iran was secular under Shah)

[video=twitter;502886173098795008]https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/502886173098795008[/video]

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah some paranoid people here do suspect foreigners of being spies, doesn't mean they/we are.

That photo is hardly a realistic representation of modern Turkey - AKP party members often wear headscarves but here in Istanbul the majority of women do not. I work in a university and about 5% of female students wear headscarves. That really has nothing to do with this case though.

What I do think may be relevant is Jacqueline Sutton's interest in the Kurdish issue.

In

A good autopsy should show some signs of a struggle if that's the case.

-snipped-
There wouldn't be any signs of struggle if she was approached from behind and/or overwhelmed by more than one assailant.

Sent via Tapatalk

I work in a university and about 5% of female students wear headscarves. That really has nothing to do with this case though.

What I do think may be relevant is Jacqueline Sutton's interest in the Kurdish issue.

Its possible that western woman travelling alone annoyed some local islamist.
I have been in muslim countries like Egypt, I have seen how nice people suddenly start to express extreme views.

Anti-westernism is nothing but enemy seeking, to divert attention from their own failures, poverty and lack of freedom in those countries.

Sent via Tapatalk

Its possible that western woman travelling alone annoyed some local islamist.
I have been in muslim countries like Egypt, I have seen how nice people suddenly start to express extreme views.

Anti-westernism is nothing but enemy seeking, to divert attention from their own failures, poverty and lack of freedom in those countries.

I really, really, really doubt that it was a random Islamic extremist. Ataturk airport is full of women on their own. A random nutter would not be able to pull off something like that in an airport on their own - and if they wanted to target Westerners, there are plenty of bars and clubs in the city centre which would be easier to target and more high profile than framing a suicide.

(I have travelled all across Turkey and Egypt on my own as a Western woman as well)

I really, really, really doubt that it was a random Islamic extremist. Ataturk airport is full of women on their own. A random nutter would not be able to pull off something like that in an airport on their own - and if they wanted to target Westerners, there are plenty of bars and clubs in the city centre which would be easier to target and more high profile than framing a suicide.

(I have travelled all across Turkey and Egypt on my own as a Western woman as well)

I do agree if she was targeted it was planned and not a random act.
Usually anti-women , anti-western /jihadist attacks are far more brutal, stabbings, gunning down someone, bombing in broad daylight to kill as many as possible, quite the opposite what we have witnessed here: alleged murder of lone traveller at midnight in the quiet bathroom disguised as suicide.
But equally chilling. (If it was murder of course)

Sent via Tapatalk

-snipped-
There wouldn't be any signs of struggle if she was approached from behind and/or overwhelmed by more than one assailant.

Yes there would be. Even if the killer expertly slipped a cord around her neck and jerked her backward off her feet (to mimic the angle of a hanging) the victim instantly starts clawing at the cord and that leaves marks. We know she wasn't wearing a scarf, there would almost certainly be claw marks on her throat and bits of her own skin under her nails. That wouldn't happen of she "kneeled" into a noose on her own with her feet touching the ground.

Had similar comments when the lady from New York was murdered here a few years ago - that was the reason I joined web sleuths as I couldn't bear the sexist victim blaming comments hinting that women shouldn't travel alone to "places like Turkey". Glad none of that is happening on this thread.

Funny thing is violence against women is MUCH MUCH higher in the US as compared to strict Muslim countries! Tourists get robbed, assaulted, and even murdered in the US fairly frequently but if it happens in a Muslim country their whole culture is condemned.

Turkey is a popular place for tourists because of the historic sites and also their spas and nightclubs, I did think about going. Only ME country I ever visited was Iran about 10 years ago and it was a very safe place for a lone western female. In many ways it is preferable to the more liberal middle eastern countries because sexual harassment is strictly verboten.

The way I looked at it, I had the full backing of the Islamic Republic's Mullahs behind me when I walked down the street and they make darn sure women won't be leered at, touched or harassed much less robbed or targeted/kidnapped by extremists. They also tightly control the borders and screen visiting westerners so there is very little paranoia about foreigners being spies.

I live in Istanbul as a foreign woman and travel through this airport about once a month. Been working here for seven years and not connected with any security services - there are tens of thousands of foreigners working here in normal jobs and although the political situation is tense at the moment, I wouldn't agree that Turkey isn't a place for foreigners to be at all.

I lived in Georgia for a year and have visited many times as well. I always had a stop in Istanbul and found it to be wonderful! Most of my time was spent in the international terminal, but I did venture out into the city a few times when I had a very long layover. I found the people to be so kind! I was usually traveling alone or with my infant daughter and never felt scared, in fact the staff were extremely helpful and the airport even let me stay in the hotel in the international terminal for free once so she could get some rest when our flight was delayed.

http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/...prove-suicide-motive-in-britons-airport-death

1445345336659.jpg
"New footage may disprove suicide motive in Briton’s airport death"

"An investigation is underway into her death while security camera footage from the airport shows Sutton was at the airport two hours before her flight to Iraq. Cameras did not record any suspicious action for her part and she does not seem distressed although the footage shows only part of her time in the airport terminal.

The discovery of 2,300 euros in her possession also disproved the allegation that she did not have enough money to purchase a ticket to Irbil, a two-hour flight from Istanbul.

rbbm
Although British media reported Sutton had suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after her detention in Eritrea in 1995 where she was charged with espionage during her time there, her colleagues and co-workers expressed shock on the possibility of Sutton killing herself."

The discovery of 2,300 euros in her possession also disproved the allegation that she did not have enough money to purchase a ticket to Irbil, a two-hour flight from Istanbul.

Not sure that proves the ticket agent was lying, she could have said "I can't afford to buy another ticket" in an attempt to get the airline to cover the costs.

Looks like she didn't buy another ticket even though she had plenty of cash, maybe she thought about getting a hotel and flying the next day. Since she missed the midnight flight there probably wasn't another one for several hours.

Yes there would be. Even if the killer expertly slipped a cord around her neck and jerked her backward off her feet (to mimic the angle of a hanging) the victim instantly starts clawing at the cord and that leaves marks. We know she wasn't wearing a scarf, there would almost certainly be claw marks on her throat and bits of her own skin under her nails. That wouldn't happen of she "kneeled" into a noose on her own with her feet touching the ground.

-snipped-
She 'hanged' herself, so marks around neck prove no murder. If there is something under her fingernails, we dont know how meticulous Turks are when they conduct autopsy and whether they want to find out the truth or only to 'prove suicide'.

But when it comes to holiday in Turkey, my friend said she was aggressively pursued by local muslim men amd shop vendors, that ruined her holiday, she'll never go back.

Sent via Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back