TX - 4th Grade Teacher Requires Students To Become Penpals With Child Molestor

:banghead::banghead::banghead: is about all I can say, having been rendered speechless (almost) by this thread.

If these instigators didn't have evil intent, then they sure are dumba@@e@. "They" includes the principal, who should be fired, too, since she knew about it and approved.

I kinda like this one :jail::jail::jail: for them, too.

omg . . .

Didn't we have a thread on this a few months ago with Christmas cards? Is this the same case or another one?

Yes!! When I opened this thread I thought for sure it was the same case but it's not.

Really, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, this teacher was just teaching the kids to have compassion for people and trying to brighten a prisoner's day....right?! :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that a teacher could have SUCH bad judgement. And then to read that the principal even knew about this just makes my jaw drop. Isn't it simply common sense that children should not be allowed to have contact with pedophiles?! Good Lord.

ETA-- here's an article about the Christmas card sending teacher. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nyc...-with-child-*advertiser censored*-possession/

The pen pal is Ricky Ray Rowlett, a man accused then convicted of raping a girl under the age of 14. Rowlett was sentenced to 50 years in prison for the crime.

The teacher at Houston’s Trinity Lutheran, however, is a family friend of Rowlett who believed he was wrongly accused. As a part of a class project, the teacher required students to share info with the inmate like their full names, description of their appearance, and their favorite things to do. The assignment only came to light when investigators happened to find the letters in Rowlett’s cell. The school’s administration was quickly notified, and fired the teacher immediately. The Trinity Lutheran principal was also placed on paid leave.

Snipped: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/04/1...-become-pen-pals-with-accused-child-molester/

congratulations ms 4th grade teacher, you're in my top ten list of most depraved individuals I've ever heard of.

anyone else think that rather than thinking he's innocent, she's more like trying to get victims for this guy? I get he's in prison but someone like that....will take what he can get IMO. sick.

congratulations ms 4th grade teacher, you're in my top ten list of most depraved individuals I've ever heard of.

anyone else think that rather than thinking he's innocent, she's more like trying to get victims for this guy? I get he's in prison but someone like that....will take what he can get IMO. sick.

JMO if I had a friend in jail for molesting children and I thought that he was innocent, the LAST thing I would do is to try to engage children to communicate with him and make it look like he's interested in that sort of thing.

Unbelievable! My DD's class wrote thank you notes to service members on Veteran's Day, and they were only allowed to say their first name, grade, and state. Not even the city or the name of their school just to be on the safe side!

I agree that this teacher was doing more than exercising bad judgement. She needs to be thoroughly investigated to make sure she isn't part of a ring.

AWFUL!

Are you friggin kidding me?

Never would have thought the letters would have made it, as i would have thought the kids would have said something excitingly to their parents about penpals.

Off topic of this teacher, But its funny that this topic would come up. My just turned 18 year old who is struggling to make it on her own (Her Choice she is in usa im in Canada ) and she called me the other night, all excited telling me about a month ago she did a "online Penpal" and she just got her first reply and he seems really nice, then she tells me she is writing PRISON INMATES, and my jaw dropped and I said do NOT tell me anything more, i do not want to hear about it, I go on to tell her that she is putting herself at risk and she should not be associating with them when she has her own problems she needs o be dealing with, ECT.....

I mean come on kids wake up.

As for this teacher, regardless is she believes he is innocent or not, he is a CONVICTED child molester, NO TEACHER, SCHOOL ect has any right to allow SOMEONE ELSES child to be subject to someone in prison let alone someone who has been CONVICTED of child moslestation. no reason what so ever!!!!! period.

Children that young didn't inform parents they were writing to someone in jail? Did she have them write during class?

I think most parents would agree that when we ask our kids what they did at school that day, it's usually met with 'nothing much' or 'I can't remember'.

Which isn't good enough for me. I keep probing, and my 8 yr old DD will tell me everything now. She knows there is no secret that cannot be shared with me....even if it's coming from authority figures.
She can also sense things that 'just don't seem right'.

If she told me that the teacher had her writing to penpals I would be in there the next day asking who the penpals were.

Teachers know that most kids don't talk about what happens in class, which is how they get away with some really inappropraite behaviour.

I've also taught my children that while they should always try to be respectful, they shouldn't have blind faith and respect for teachers.... because teachers are human and can be wrong....or in this case really sick and depraved.
JMO

I wish there was some way to hold this teacher criminally liable for her actions. Because of her, a sex offender (and probably more than one) has the names and locations of many innocent children.

:jail:

I see absolutely no reason why this teacher should not be prosecuted for child endangerment. :maddening:

Link to the Harris County District Attorney, Patricia R. Lykos

http://app.dao.hctx.net/

Rickey Rowlett, Convicted Child Molester, Was Pen-Pals With Fourth-Graders In Houston

Posted: 04/12/2012 5:39 pm Updated: 04/12/2012 5:39 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12/rickey-rowlett-child-molester-pen-pals_n_1421697.html
Rickey R. Rowlett, convicted child molester, was pen-pals with students in a Houston fourth-grade class.
Turns out teacher doesn't always know best.
Laura Perry, a fourth-grade teacher at Houston's Trinity Lutheran Church and School, set her students up to be pen-pals with a child molester, Newser reports.

also from the article:

Parents of two children in the school -- one of whom was in Perry's class -- filed suit against Trinity Lutheran Church and School on March 27, according to CBS Houston.
The suit alleges that Pastor Michael Dorn approved Perry's plan. But John Menke, chairman of the school's governing board, said that only Perry and the school's principal Ann Boatman knew of the arrangement.
Perry is no longer on the school's staff and Boatman is on administrative leave.
Another claim in the lawsuit is that Perry's husband, Blake Perry had contact with students and helped coach soccer at the school, even though he's charged with possessing and promoting child *advertiser censored*.

I stumbled across this case while searching the forum for something else, and in looking for any additional information or updates about it, I found a decision by the Texas Court of Appeals, Third District, affirming the judgement against Rowlett, which contains the background of the case which put him in the clink.
Incidentally, the correct spelling of his full name is Rickey Rea Rowlett.
Rickey Rea Rowlett v. The State of TexasAppeal from 207th District Court of Comal County (memorandum opinion )

Also, more information about the school incident:

https://www.courthousenews.com/parents-say-school-had-kids-write-to-child-molester/
HOUSTON (CN) - Parents claim in court that their son's fourth-grade teacher at Trinity Lutheran School had her class start a pen pal correspondence with an accused child molester without telling them, and he shared the letters with other jail inmates convicted of sex crimes against children.

John and Jane Doe sued Trinity Lutheran Church / The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod dba Trinity Lutheran School, in Harris County Court.

Jane Doe on her own behalf and as next friend of the couple's children, Child Doe 1 and Child Doe 2, who both attended the school until the pen pal assignment was made known to parents.

The Does claim Trinity pastor Michael Dorn had a lax policy on protecting students from child abusers, as he was aware that 4th-grade teacher Laura Perry's fiancé, Blake Perry, had been indicted for possessing child *advertiser censored* in Harris County, Texas.

Neither Dorn, Laura Perry nor Blake Perry are defendants in the lawsuit.

edited for bolding

Last edited:

Re-reading this thread, that's exactly what I thought since she's asking them to provide descriptions of themselves and their favorite activities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back