GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

:eek: :( :confused: :laugh: :mad: :slap: :doh: :eek:hwow: :sigh:

That about sums it up! OMG - when I read this this morning (came to post it but you guys beat me to it!) I couldn't believe what I was reading.
I heard the dog at the homework excuse - but really?????????? I guess they think David the dog is a more sympathetic personality than Bobby the planner?
I saw lock him up and let him eat kibbles and bits for life.
Sick.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I have to wonder. Multiple personality disorder does indeed exist. Could it be the case here? I've always been so bothered by the fact that this man disrobed--took off his shoes and underwear--before assaulting the women. That just can't be typical. He's bold, that's for sure. Could that be a sign of not being in the "correct" personality?

But who can ignore the trophies he took (that we know of)? This is one creepy guy, either way you look at it. To blame it on a dog--either "David the Dog" or the poor sexually abused one from his teens--doesn't fly with me. Dogs do NOT go around sexually assaulting elder females. If the attacker was a dog, what was the music and the ticking clock all about? How about the removed screens, unscrewed lightbulbs, cooked food? And how about the gentle voice telling women he was going to "make love" (gag) to them? That's not doggish behavior. It's the behavior of a sick rapist!!

I went back and read to see if "David the Dog" was just a name of a personality which used the word dog in a degrading manner but that doesn't seem to be the case. He sites the sexual contact with a dog in his teens as the appearance of David.

Creepy. This ought to be interesting.

The nerve of the man. Dating???

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/14/sl_twilight_rapist_day3_091511_152048/

Defendant told Rangers he was dating victim

Billy Joe Harris claimed he was dating the victim he is accused of sexually assaulting. In an interview on Jan. 8 by Texas Rangers Troy Wilson and Jimmy Schroeder, Harris said he had been dating the victim for about a year and had come to Edna to end the relationship because he was now married.

During questioning, he called the victim Williams, which is not her name, and also did not know her first name. Harris, 54, of Missouri City, said the woman got upset when he told her he had to break off the relationship, and that's why she cried rape. "It was a fling, and I'm guilty of that," he said. "There was no rape, period."

and

"...The victim, a 59-year-old disabled woman, testified Tuesday that she did not know Harris...."

more at link

I can hardly wait until we learn what link this man has to Yoakum.

Well, it just gets stranger. I imagine that the judge will be very happy to see this trial come to an end. Here's some excellent notes about the testimony:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/19/sl_twilight_rapist_092011_152557/

Harris makes case for insanity defense
September 19, 2011

"Billy Joe Harris testified for about five hours Monday, weaving tales of bestiality, aliens, transvestites and combat heroism...."

and

"...Harris said he has four other personalities and it was one of them, David the dog, that had consensual sex with the woman here in January. During questioning by defense attorney Alan Cohen, Harris said he was made to put on a dress and makeup at age 13 and take part in a threesome with his music teacher and a dog while her husband took photographs. The bestiality continued after that as Harris claims he killed chickens while masturbating, had sex with a female Shetland pony and had two canine lovers - Fina, a doberman pincher and Lady, a rottweiler.

and

"....During his testimony, Harris also claimed extra-terrestrials removed one of his testicles because they wanted his sperm. He also said many of the items found in his home by Texas Rangers that connect him to the break-ins were bought by the personality Bobby from a crack-addicted transvestite at a store near Crockett. The 54-year-old Missouri City man also said the personality Thomas Simpson was learning to build bombs so he could blow up a building. "I stopped him," Harris said. "He doesn't know how to make the bombs yet. When he does, I'll have to change my religion from Southern Baptist to Muslim, and I will be the leader of all leaders...."

and

"...Harris, who worked in food service for the Texas Department of Corrections at the time of his arrest and worked in the same field in the military, said he killed thousands of Iraqi soldiers during Operation Desert Storm...."

and

"...The district attorney got Harris to admit that until his arrest, he had never told any family member or co-worker about the multiple personalities. Several jurors stifled laughter during the give and take between Harris and Bell. "It's inappropriate to look at the jury and laugh," Harris said. "Be professional." "I'm not laughing," Bell said. "This is tragic...."

and

"...Bell introduced records from the Veteran's Administration that said Harris showed no history of psychiatric disorder and is in good contact with reality. Bell got Harris to admit that sometimes he can stop Bobby and David from doing bad things. "When Bobby is doing all these things, you are right there together?" Bell asked. "Yes sir. We are all in one," said Harris...."

more at link

Can we all be honest here? Did a single one of you see this coming? I sure didn't. Poor victims. Poor animals. Is he crazy as a fox or crazy as a loon? My apologies to both fine creatures.

Can I ask Mr.Harris a simple question? Where did this incident with the music teacher, her husband and the dog occur? Couldn't have been Yoakum, could it? Can they be called as witnesses?

And what is it about masturbation and chickens? I'm a bit naive. Can someone fill me in. It was reported in our children's rapist's case too.

And what a show it was!!

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/20/sl_twilight_rapist_day5_092111_152687/

Harris told girlfriend he put on a 'show' in court
September 20, 2011

"Billy Joe Harris, in a March telephone call from the Jackson County Jail, asked his girlfriend whether she enjoyed the show he had put on in court earlier that day. Harris had been transferred to Leon County for a court hearing that day and during the proceeding fell to the floor and twitched and shook until being restrained. "It was a good show wasn't it?..."

More at link

And.....they must have had a snack break.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/21/sl_twilight_rapist_day6_092211_152795/

Twilight Rape case settled in 10 minutes: GUILTY
September 21, 2011

"A Jackson County jury took less than 10 minutes Wednesday to find Billy Joe Harris guilty of aggravated sexual assault of a disabled person. After the verdict was read by District Judge Skipper Koetter, the six-woman, six-man jury was polled individually and each responded "yes" when asked if guilty was their verdict. "I am pleased that justice has been reached for the victim," said District Attorney Bobby Bell. "I am relieved and happy that justice has been obtained." Harris, 54, of Missouri City, is believed to be the person who has sexually assaulted several women in central and south Texas. He has been dubbed the Twilight Rapist. Defense attorney Alan Cohen was not shocked at the outcome...."

and

"...Cohen's closing argument was brief, reminding the jury that Harris said from the witness stand and in his statement to Texas Rangers that the sex he had with the victim was consensual. In his hour long closing argument, Bell, district attorney in Jackson County for 28 years, recounted the evidence of the crime on Jan. 8 and the testimony of the victim who testified last week. She sat in the front row Wednesday afternoon holding a blue rosary and occasionally dabbing at her eyes with a tissue...."

and

"...When she turned off her television and light that night to go to sleep, that's the last memory she'll ever have of a normal life. Her life from that moment on was forever changed. I assure you Carrie West [a pseudonym] has been given a life sentence," Bell said. "Carrie West is a hero. She didn't decide she was going to give up...she scratched him as much as she could and she had the presence of mind to pull that (emergency medical alarm) cord..."

and

"...Bell reminded the jury of the audio recording of the telephone call between Harris and his girlfriend during which Harris admitted putting on a show in court faking symptoms of mental illness. "You heard that laugh, that evil laugh," Bell said. "He is laughing at the system, he's laughing at the state of Texas and he's laughing at you. He can't help himself. He's proud that he is going to con everyone that he is crazy...."

and

"...Dr. Richard Coons, a forensic psychiatrist, testified that his interview with Harris indicated no signs of mental illness. "I've never seen any worse depiction of someone being mentally ill," Coons said, referring to Harris' attempt to convince him he had mental health issues. "To me he just looked goofy." "Given your education and experience and based on your interview with Mr. Harris, is he suffering from mental disease or defect." "He is not," said Coons. "It doesn't appear to me that he doesn't understand what he did was illegal."

"Can we agree he's a little strange?" asked Bell.

"Oh, he's strange," Coons said.

more at link

But wait!! No explanation about the clocks or the deer heads??? What about Yoakum???

My heart goes out to the victims who have stepped forward to testify. That must be brutal. What strong women. Maybe we will get a window into the choice of Yoakum and find out about those clocks.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/22/sl_twilight_rapist_day7_092211_152917/

Assault victim testified 'Well, I'm finished'
September 22, 2011

"The woman believed to be the first victim of Billy Joe Harris testified Thursday morning that she feared for her life during the attack in January 2009. "He went for my neck, and I thought, 'Well, I'm finished.' It seemed like he was made of steel. I was screaming. Screaming as loud as I could," said the now 69-year-old Yoakum woman...."

and

"....She said Harris attacked her again on Nov. 9, 2009, even after Yoakum Police moved her to a new home. Harris has been connected to her attack by DNA..."

and

"...The victim also had at least $11,000 in cash stolen from her. The woman testified that when he entered her home in November he said to her, "Remember me? Did you miss me...?"

and

"....Bell plans to bring forward more than a dozen victims of assaults and burglaries who have either been linked to Harris or are believed to have been committed by Harris, 54, of Missouri City. District Judge Skipper Koetter said the testimony is allowed for the jury to consider as a pattern of behavior when deciding Harris' punishment, even though he has not gone to trial on the other cases...."

and

"...Also testifying Thursday afternoon was FC. FC, Harris' on-again, off-again former girlfriend of 10 years, lived with him at one time in Copperas Cove. FC, who met Harris on the job where she also worked in prison food service, testified that she deposited $11,000 in Harris' bank account at his request over the course of three days not long after the robbery in Yoakum...."

More at link

I've waited a long long time to hear about these trophies. I wonder what profilers are saying about this?

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/26/gp_rapesentencing_092711_153287/

Twilight Rapist premeditated attacks, collected 'trophies' from victims
September 26, 2011

"An 81-year-old Yoakum woman testified Monday morning that she was on her way to church when she was attacked by the man dubbed "the Twilight Rapist." The testimony was part of the sentencing hearing for Billy Joe Harris, convicted last week by a Jackson County jury for the sexual assault of a disabled woman in Edna...."

and

"...An early riser, the petite, white-haired Yoakum victim said the morning of Feb. 27, 2009, she was preparing to head to her church where she faithfully played the organ every weekday morning. However, things went awry once she opened her front door and found Harris crouched outside trying to pick her door lock, she said. Harris allegedly forced her back inside and asked her for money before brutally raping her...."

and

"...On July 3, 2009, a 79-year-old Marquez woman said she awoke around 4:30 a.m. to discover that her purse was missing from the home she and her husband had shared from 1969 until his death in 2006. Her adult son later discovered his mother's purse, short about $250, strewn suspiciously in her front yard. A few weeks later, the great-grandmother said she encountered Harris when she stepped out of her bedroom door early one morning...."

and

"...It is not known why Harris needed the money, but yet another Marquez victim said Harris told her that he had just gotten out of jail, he hadn't had sex in a long time and he needed money because he was on his way to Mexico...."

and

"...In addition, law enforcement testified that upon a search of Harris' home in the 3300 block of Lilypond in Missouri City, various trophies that Harris had taken from his victims' homes including more than 20 keys, deer mounts and a clock had been found."

more at link

Such brave ladies. They are a real testament to refusing to give in to evil. But why? Has anyone asked this man why he started in Yoakum? Why elder women? Why the trophies? What do the trophies mean? I've not read anything about his past experiences and I'm so terribly curious.

Finally, the details we've been wondering about come out. I appreciate that the Advocate posts notes on the proceedings. One very sick man.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/28/gp_twilight_092911_153549/

Rapist accused of lying about origins of his home decor, abusing ex-wife
September 28, 2011

"Billy Joe Harris was a liar, cheater and a wife beater, who was particularly fond of animals, according to testimony by the women in the defendant's life...."

and

"...DH, the defendant's wife, was the first of the women in Billy Joe Harris' life who testified. A witness for the state, DH, who has a 9-year-old son, previously testified that she met her spouse through an online dating service in April 2010 and married less than two months later. Harris' wife told jurors her husband had given her various explanations for the fancy items he brought into their home during the marriage, which she later learned were stolen from his victims...."

and

".....He also told his wife that he had shot the two deer mounts that were stored in their garage, which he had actually stolen from a 79-year-old Marquez woman who he had sexually assaulted. Additionally, Harris was found to be in possession of several clocks, guns, a computer, a computer stand, and keys, none of which legally belonged to Harris. A seemingly loving husband, Harris lavished his wife with fine things including a fur coat, which Harris said his ex-wife had left behind. In reality, Harris had actually stolen the coat from a 93-year-old Zabcikville woman who he also had sexually assaulted...."

and

"...DH said she never saw the side of her husband that has been detailed in court and in the news. "I was totally taken aback, surprised, hurt..."

and

"....JH, a state witness, told a different, darker story about the man she shared her life with for 24 years and 11 months. JH and her ex met in Germany. Harris, a soldier, and JH, a cook, worked at the same U.S. Army base. They married in the country where they fell in love. However, their newlywed bliss ended shortly thereafter. JH alleged that her husband began beating her during their first year of marriage. The physical and mental abuse continued throughout their marriage..."

and

"...The two did not have children on account of Harris' low sperm count, she said. The abused spouse said she found short periods of relief from her husband's tyrant behavior when he would leave on the weekends for what he said were "job-related" trips...."

and

"....The testimony Harris' sister gave about the siblings' childhood failed to provide any blatantly obvious explanation for her brother's behavior. The 46-year-old woman, who testified for the defense, said she and Harris were the youngest of four children mostly raised by a single mother in Houston...."

and

"...Billy had split personalities," she said. "One minute he wanted to play with me, the next minute, he'd change like Jekyll and Hyde.' Harris' sister described her brother as a loner who had no friends and opted to sleep and spend all of his time alone in an empty attic..."

and

"...Tragedy struck the Harris family in 1960 when the oldest girl of the four siblings died in a house fire. Harris and his older brother, T. Harris, both of whom were in the house at the time of the fire, survived. The three surviving siblings took their sister's death hard, but it did not bring all of them closer together. The surviving sister accused T. Harris, who she said Harris was afraid of, of molesting her at the age of 15...."

and

"...Harris eventually moved to Grapeland to live with his grandparents. His sister followed shortly afterward. His sister said their grandparents provided them with a loving home...."

and

"...Loud gasps escaped from the mouths of those in the courtroom when Harris brought the court proceedings to a screeching halt by jumping up from his seat and struggling with officers as his sister shared details about the siblings' lives. Harris left for the military at the age of 17...."

and

"...She also described her brother as being an animal lover, especially dogs. Cohen questioned Harris' sister about her brother's interest in his animals and whether she had ever witnessed any "weird behavior" between him and the animals, hinting at the occurrence of bestiality. "He was fond of animals..."

and

"...Additionally, more of Harris' victims took the stand during the proceedings, including an 88-year-old Moody woman. The woman said she "kicked (Harris) where it hurt" after he had broken into her home and tried to attack her one night in February 2010...."

and

"....She also said the phone line to her home was cut, light bulbs were unscrewed and items from her home were taken - a common occurrence in other attacks. The jury also watched a video of a person, believed to be Harris, cutting phone lines to a home of one of the Yoakum women who was sexually assaulted...."

more at link

So some questions. What happened during the childhood fire? What happened to Harris' mother? If T Harris molested his sister, could Billy Joe have suffered the same fate? What precipitated the move to Grapeland to live with grandparents and what was that relationship like? FWIW, Grapeland is 200 miles from Yoakum. We still haven't heard what Harris' connection is with that town.

And I guess we got our question answered. The elder woman in Moody was assaulted and did testify. For the longest time, it hasn't been clear if she was a victim or not.

The sentence:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/sep/30/gp_rapist_093011_153808/

Jury sentences convicted rapist to life in prison, assesses $10,000 fine
September 30, 2011

"A Jackson County jury took about 10 minutes on Friday to sentence Billy Joe Harris and his alleged other personalities - David the dog and Bobby - to life in prison for sexual assault.

Dubbed the Twilight Rapist, Harris, 54, of Missouri City, was convicted last week by a Jackson County jury for the January sexual assault of a disabled Edna woman. Authorities say they have linked Harris, who is accused of being a serial rapist, by DNA and other evidence to more than 10 sexual assaults in the Crossroads area and Central Texas since 2009...."

more at link

Less than 10 minutes of deliberation for a guilty verdict and less than 10 minutes for the sentence.

More trials await Mr. Harris:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/oct/04/sl_twilight_rapist_folo_100511_154198/

Twilight Rapist likely will face repeated trials
Multiple counties have cases against Harris

October 4, 2011

"DeWitt County District Attorney Michael Sheppard plans on putting convicted rapist Billy Joe Harris on trial again...."

and

"...Harris has also been indicted in Leon County and cases in Caldwell County, Bell County, Falls County and McLennan County have been linked to him...."

more at link (some interesting details)

I honestly didn't see this coming. Some disturbing revelations from the expert witness who testified in the case. Sounds like some officials do not agree with him:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/oct/22/sl_billy_joe_harris_102311_155908/

Convicted rapist transferred to state prison
Mental health expert says Harris 'could be' serial killer, too

October 22, 2011

"Convicted rapist Billy Joe Harris is now in the big house. Harris was transferred Monday from the Jackson County jail where he has been since his arrest in January to the Byrd Unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice in Huntsville. Harris, 54, of Missouri City, was convicted in September of aggravated assault of a disabled person in Jackson County and sentenced to life in prison. Harris had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity...."

and

"...Leon County may be the next to put Harris on trial, said his attorney, Alan Cohen, of Houston. He faces four separate indictments in Leon County, Cohen said. He has also been indicted in DeWitt County in connection with attacks in Yoakum...."

and

"...[Dr. Colin] Ross' guest column also reveals some startling information derived from his conversations with Harris. "I think there is a possibility that Billy Harris has been operating as a serial killer in Texas with at least eight victims," Ross wrote. "I feel it is my civic duty to point this out. On the other hand, it could be just one more fantastic story told by Harris. But we know he is a violent, vicious rapist." Ross said Harris told him that at least eight times he has "come back to awareness with blood on his clothes and ... another notch on the handle of his knife....."

and

"...He clearly has violent sadistic murder fantasies," Ross continued. "On the other hand, we know he tells fantastic stories. I just think it should be taken seriously as a possibility." Tom Vinger, Texas Rangers spokesman, said Harris has not been linked to any unsolved homicides...."

more at link

Snip:
"After Harris was arrested on Jan. 8, 2009 when he was caught in the act of attacking the woman in Edna, DNA evidence linked him to the burglary in Marquez. An address book belonging to the Marquez victim was also found in Harris’ vehicle near the area he was arrested. The two deer mounts and computer were taken from his residence he shared with Darlene Harris. Those items were introduced into evidence during this trial, which began April 2.

Darlene Harris said she felt safe and comfortable with her husband and that the defendant was a loving father figure for her 9-year-old son from a previous relationship. The only thing she thought was weird was that Billy Joe Harris had several computers and quite a number of clocks in his possession, but she said she just thought he liked to collect them. She also said that her husband had claimed to have killed the two deer on a hunting trip."

http://itemonline.com/local/x101444646/-Twilight-Rapist-trial-nearing-end

Tic toc, Tic Toc -----> Lady justice is riding a train in Texas!
:jail::jail::jail::jail::jail:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie