TX TX - Brian Thomas Vargo, 20, Austin, 9 March 1976

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Recent Addition to NamUs.

Original
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Vargo was a Univ of Texas at Austin Student. Vargo dropped out of school in March. Vargo traveled to Colorado in his vehicle. His vehicle broke down in Colorado. Vargo travel to Houston Texas to pick up the vehicle's title. His mother dropped him off at the bus station in Houston (unknown date). Family was notified he had not returned to his apartment. When family arrived at his apartment in Austin Texas Vargo's wallet was in the apartment.

Demographics
Missing Age: 20 Years
Current Age: 65 Years
First Name: Brian
Middle Name: Thomas
Last Name: Vargo
Nickname/Alias--
Sex: Male
Height: 6' 0" (72 Inches)
Weight: 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: March 9, 1976
NamUs Case Created: February 6, 2021
County: Travis County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: Unknown

Hair Color: Brown
Left Eye Color: Hazel
Right Eye Color: Hazel

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Investigating Agencies
Austin Police Department, Perla Meyers, Detective
(512) 974-5210
Agency Case Number: 21-5004726

Date Reported: February 1, 2021

Ok, so Brian was dropped off in Houston, family was notified that he did not return to his apartment in Austin, but his wallet was there. Is this supposed to mean that the wallet means that he went back to the apartment and left the wallet there? I am consufed by the circumstances of the disspearance. If he did not return to the aparatment (as the family was notified) he would be missing from Houston then. But if he did, left his wallet there then he's missing from Austin.

I'm just trying to make sense of what I just read. I'm not a native speaker, so if I'm missing or misunderstanding something, please fill me in. Because if Brian did not return to Austin, as the family was notified, then he could be missing from Houston and the John Doe sugessted by @victoriarobinson624 could be a lead.

Ok, so Brian was dropped off in Houston, family was notified that he did not return to his apartment in Austin, but his wallet was there. Is this supposed to mean that the wallet means that he went back to the apartment and left the wallet there? I am consufed by the circumstances of the disspearance. If he did not return to the aparatment (as the family was notified) he would be missing from Houston then. But if he did, left his wallet there then he's missing from Austin.

I'm just trying to make sense of what I just read. I'm not a native speaker, so if I'm missing or misunderstanding something, please fill me in. Because if Brian did not return to Austin, as the family was notified, then he could be missing from Houston and the John Doe sugessted by @victoriarobinson624 could be a lead.
I’m equally confused by the narrative here.

So one might assume (which isn't always a good thing) that he went to his parent's to get the title for the car so he could sell it rather than fixing it. If he returned to Colorado and sold the car, he might have some money on him then, though probably not a lot since it was a broken down car. Maybe he then returned to Austin and his apartment with the money and something happened there? It's all just a guess with the scant information here.

What happened to the vehicle? Why March 9th specifically? If he hadn’t returned to his apartment, how was his wallet there? How much time lapsed between dropping him off at the bus station and finding the wallet in his apartment?

This seems really strange.

He sort of reminds me of this guy: struck and killed by a motor vehicle in Dallas county about a year after Brian was last known to be alive. Some of the stats aren’t perfect and it’s hard to say why he’d be in Dallas a year later, carrying a red guitar and possibly walking a dog.

upload_2021-2-8_9-22-8.jpegupload_2021-2-8_9-18-20.jpegupload_2021-2-8_9-18-42.jpegupload_2021-2-8_9-24-30.jpeg

He sort of reminds me of this guy: struck and killed by a motor vehicle in Dallas county about a year after Brian was last known to be alive. Some of the stats aren’t perfect and it’s hard to say why he’d be in Dallas a year later, carrying a red guitar and possibly walking a dog.

View attachment 283202View attachment 283196View attachment 283197View attachment 283204

I don't think it's him but I do think that he could be a victim of a vehicular-pedestrian accident. Going out in public without his wallet could make him a John Doe for that reason or many other mishaps. Just to cover the bases, I asked at Brian's Facebook Group if he played any musical instruments.

Last edited:
Brian Thomas Vargo – The Charley Project
New/Additional info from what is on NamUs:
Date of Birth: September 8, 1955
Distinguishing Characters: He has a chipped front tooth.

Details of Disappearance:
Vargo was last seen in March 1976. He had been an engineering major at the University of Texas at Austin, but withdrew from college on March 9 and drove to Colorado. While he was in Colorado, his Mazda broke down. He traveled to his parents' home in Houston, Texas to pick up the vehicle's title, as he planned to sell it. His mother dropped him off at the bus station in Houston. He has never been heard from again, but when his family checked his Austin apartment, they found his wallet and other belongings, suggesting he did make it back there.

Vargo's family believed he had returned to school, and some time passed before they were notified that he hadn't attended class or been at his apartment and they needed to come to Austin to collect his belongings. They initially believed he would come back on his own someday, but he never did. At the time of his disappearance, he did not drink alcohol and only smoked marijuana occasionally.

Austin police are investigating Vargo's case. There has been no activity on his Social Security number since 1976. His disappearance remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal
Back