TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

Maybe he likes the limelight and has let it go to his head to the point that all rationality is gone. He is just ridiculous. I didn't see what you guys were saying about his professionalism until after her body was found. I thought maybe you guys were just being picky about his words, but nope! Everything he said during the time she was missing was a sign of what was to come from him. He gets worse every day.

'All rationality gone' is my opinion as well. I'm glad hes getting worse so that hopefully someone will take action on a replacement. I'm shocked that there are no superiors overseeing this, as far as what we are witnessing...

TX Rangers interrogated SMc. He confessed to two TX Rangers. A TX Ranger drove SMc to the location near her body. The Sheriff very well could have been in the same room but I rather think he was viewing from another room.

And when they cooperate it goes so much different. Things change as we all know that have followed some cases. They are still in the investigative role. When it gets to where it going now...real for the Def...things change some once a Defense attorney get there and the Def looking at his/her life. JMHO

I cannot disagree more strongly with this.
If they had never met him, I probably wouldn't advocate meeting him serving a life sentence.
However, Steve was an involved, attentive, supportive Dad.
They have bonded with him likely more than most kids who's Dad are less involved.

They have one living parent and if they choose to see him they should be allowed to do so.
If the family can handle it for the kids sake, they must really feel it's best for them.
The idea that just because Dad is in prison, they shouldn't see their kids is very damaging.
I think a lot more kids with incarcerated parents would cope better if they weren't prevented from contact.
Obviously when Dad has killed Mom, it's a bit more reasonable to not let the kids see him.

I'm glad in THIS case, they have chosen what is best for the kids right now.
If at some point the kids want to cease contact, I'm certain that Crystal's family will support that as well.
For now I think them still having contact with him as they request it, will be helpful.
I just wish that it hadn't all gone downhill so badly... and that Steve had let her go. So unfair.

The visit they got with Daddy this time will not be what it will be from now on. Which is another good thing, jmho them being able to live out of state. Phone calls wont seem big deal in explaining but will be understood better for the young children. They will understand phone calls. They do not have the ability to fully understand what is happening. God sheltering them from this. It hard enough for adults who can read and realize.

MOD NOTE

Stop blaming the victim in this case.

Instead of asking why Crystal didn't refuse to go to her ex's house, or why she didn't take her kids, or why she didn't ask for a restraining order, or anything else about her actions, ask why a grown man did not have the self-control to not murder his ex-wife. The blame for this crime belongs to SM. Crystal is a victim. Her actions or lack thereof did not cause her murder.

Timeouts will be issued if this line of discussion continues.

This post falls at random.

Could you link to the sheriff walking with SM?

This is unlikely to be a death penalty case. That being said, this man is going to prison. He already decided for his ex, himself and his poor kids. He orphaned them because of rage and jealousy. Good dads don't do things like that.

I think this is the video they are talking about: https://www.facebook.com/JohnDonnellyFOX26/videos/1574019365969101/

JMO, it's open to interpretation why the sheriff puts his hand on Steve's shoulder. It looks like a friendly pat on the back but it also could have been to direct him which way to walk. The sheriff's other hand points in the direction they are going at the same moment he pats SM's shoulder.

This is true. We don't know. Sadly, Crystal isn't here to tell us either. :(

Ultimately it doesn't even matter. She could've slept with Santa Claus for all I care she didn't deserve what happened to her. It is beyond unfortunate. Regardless of what she thought of her decisions, I wish I love his children and I cannot kill their mother.

I've been following this case closely and registered for a WS account so I could weigh in on this particular topic.

The way I see it, the media, movies, current popular culture etc. lead us to thinking of wife murderers as cold, ambivalent psychopath types like Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson etc. According to various LE statements and as evidenced by his appearance in his mugshot, SM's been crying and showing remorse, at least since Saturday when the body was recovered. To me, that seems in stark contrast with a murderer who kills for control or convenience. Those killers aren't capable of feeling or showing remorse.

It's something about the emotions SM's allegedly showing that elicits whatever sympathy or coddling he's received. I also agree with whoever suggested that the sheriff relates to or sees himself in SM in some way. I think it's empathy.

Of course, this is all my own musings and opinion. I don't know enough about the background of their relationship to actually know what their lives were like together. I do know that SM's actions are inexcusable and my deepest sympathies are with the family and especially children for the loss of their mother.

:wagon: :greetings:

georgiajean said:
Today 10:44 AM
It seems like SM has engendered sympathy or empathy. LE seems to feel for him in ways I haven't seen with other cases.
Even some of CM's family and friends are expressing empathy for him. That just never happens with these cases. It is very strange and I'm not sure what to make of it.

-At some point I will try to include a rough reference for the Sheriffs terminology. There is nothing normal about it. For now-Via FB "he is not the boss of everything-taking full stage center-who is this small town Mr Big Stuff speaking for Steve-patting him on the back-slighting Jeff & family, etc.

None of which has been stated "In my opinion only". He has made firm claims that only a professional mental health source should. He has made claims that sound like he has been friends with Steve. He has set his own standards as the absolute universal standard.

RBBM, whose FB? If it like any other case thread I believe it not to be brought over unless it is Media. No Twitter or random FB comments. Just trying to help out since your new.

The way I see it, the media, movies, current popular culture etc. lead us to thinking of wife murderers as cold, ambivalent psychopath types like Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson etc. According to various LE statements and as evidenced by his appearance in his mugshot, SM's been crying and showing remorse, at least since Saturday when the body was recovered. To me, that seems in stark contrast with a murderer who kills for control or convenience. Those killers aren't capable of feeling or showing remorse.

Thanks for weighing in. Let's not forget that Scott Peterson cried his eyes out on national TV though.

I think this is the video they are talking about: https://www.facebook.com/JohnDonnellyFOX26/videos/1574019365969101/

JMO, it's open to interpretation why the sheriff puts his hand on Steve's shoulder. It looks like a friendly pat on the back but it also could have been to direct him which way to walk. The sheriff's other hand points in the direction they are going at the same moment he pats SM's shoulder.

I agree. I also think that they are being supportive of him in the way that the legal system is supposed to. Treat people with humanity. Everyone gets a lawyer, everyone gets treated equally by the law. Small town, people know each other, this is tearing so many apart. Even knowing what he did, it would be difficult, I think, to not treat him kindly, given how broken and emotional he seems to be. Just my opinion.

WS Administrator http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Facebook-Twitter-etc&p=12080508#post12080508

Approved SM Pages/Profiles

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
Paraphrasing is okay.
Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
Paraphrasing is okay.
***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Any exception must first be approved by an administrator. You can contact an administrator via private message, or send an email to websleuthscomments@gmail.com

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from his/her personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

Thanks for weighing in. Let's not forget that Scott Peterson cried his eyes out on national TV though.

I remember! Did anyone feel empathy for him when he cried? I remember watching it, and thinking it was an act. So I keep asking myself, what is different about this? Even AB seems to be very deferential about SM's emotions. But I haven't watched much of her show, so I don't know if that is her normal way of being, too.

I cannot disagree more strongly with this.
If they had never met him, I probably wouldn't advocate meeting him serving a life sentence.
However, Steve was an involved, attentive, supportive Dad.
They have bonded with him likely more than most kids who's Dad are less involved.

They have one living parent and if they choose to see him they should be allowed to do so.
If the family can handle it for the kids sake, they must really feel it's best for them.
The idea that just because Dad is in prison, they shouldn't see their kids is very damaging.
I think a lot more kids with incarcerated parents would cope better if they weren't prevented from contact.
Obviously when Dad has killed Mom, it's a bit more reasonable to not let the kids see him.

I'm glad in THIS case, they have chosen what is best for the kids right now.
If at some point the kids want to cease contact, I'm certain that Crystal's family will support that as well.
For now I think them still having contact with him as they request it, will be helpful.
I just wish that it hadn't all gone downhill so badly... and that Steve had let her go. So unfair.

You are right. By all accounts he was a great dad until things spun out. Man. What a huge loss for these kids. This is tough though because these kids don't even know their dad killed their mom and with time may come to resent that they were made to keep contact with their dad under false pretenses. They are requesting to see him, but that may well be because they don't know why he is there. Would they want to see him if they knew? Maybe? I think a kid might feel betrayed that they loved and encouraged and hoped their dad would get out, because he is their one remaining parent, not realizing that he's the reason they don't have a mom either. I hope they find the right therapist for each of these kids because this is heavy.

I don't know. I don't envy the family at all, because there is no good answers here, know what I mean? What may be ok with one kid may not be best for the other and how they cope and how they see things might be totally different. I hope they will be honest the moment the kids ask if their dad did it, because I'm sure the boy is old enough. My girl is slightly older than him and could easily put two and two together. I'm sure if that question has creeped into his mind he just pushed it right out thinking in couldn't be possible.

I find it interesting that the kids saw the dad at the jail, and then saw their mom on the tv as a missing person, but didn't hear that dad killed mom. He wasn't arrested until she was found. I'm glad they didn't find out dad killed mom that way. That would be horrible.

RBBM, whose FB? If it like any other case thread I believe it not to be brought over unless it is Media. No Twitter or random FB comments. Just trying to help out since your new.

Thanks! I thought public published words could be mentioned but just not copied with a link.

It sounded to me the first time it was discussed that SM told them she was deceased and then cried with them... and then the aunt told them that their mom was with Jesus but would always be with them and all of that. Let me see if I can find it.

When we first heard about the aunt telling the children that Crystal is with Jesus, I believe it was because they had seen her face on the news as missing. I don't know if SM had confessed or been arrested yet. The family knew that she was more than likely gone but i don't believe they knew that SM had done it(though most seem to have suspected it immediately).

So later, after his arrest, Steve may have seen the children and confirmed that Crystal was gone. Both can be true.

i also believe that most people here are a tad soft on Steve because he was such an involved father. He seemed to be the primary caregiver and genuinely love his children a lot. Obviously what he did to Crystal is unforgivable but the bond between him and the kids seemed so strong.

Some women find it hard to leave one relationship until there's someone new. Crystal may have dated Steve a bit until she met Paul and that gave her the motivation and strength to leave Steve. But it really doesn't matter. Sometimes love hurts but that's no excuse to kill.

When we first heard about the aunt telling the children that Crystal is with Jesus, I believe it was because they had seen her face on the news as missing. I don't know if SM had confessed or been arrested yet. The family knew that she was more than likely gone but i don't believe they knew that SM had done it(though most seem to have suspected it immediately).

So later, after his arrest, Steve may have seen the children and confirmed that Crystal was gone. Both can be true.

i also believe that most people here are a tad soft on Steve because he was such an involved father. He seemed to be the primary caregiver and genuinely love his children a lot. Obviously what he did to Crystal is unforgivable but the bond between him and the kids seemed so strong.

Some women find it hard to leave one relationship until there's someone new. Crystal may have dated Steve a bit until she met Paul and that gave her the motivation and strength to leave Steve. But it really doesn't matter. Sometimes love hurts but that's no excuse to kill.

RBBM. This is incorrect. That interview with Aunt Cindy was on Sept 11 and AFTER they found Crystal's body and SM had been arrested/confessed.

Here is the transcript: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1709/11/ptab.01.html

I remember! Did anyone feel empathy for him when he cried? I remember watching it, and thinking it was an act. So I keep asking myself, what is different about this? Even AB seems to be very deferential about SM's emotions. But I haven't watched much of her show, so I don't know if that is her normal way of being, too.

AB getting interviews sought after, getting ratings from it. Not going to rock the boat, so to speak. JMHO

Thanks! I thought public published words could be mentioned but just not copied with a link.

Welcome. It hard to figure out at first. Sometimes (cough cough) even after a while. It may seem strange and dumb at first. But honestly it does keep help keep the facts fact and the rumors out. Media is all about the sensationalism. Just watch, even after legal documents come out they will not even report or half report changing the context. Which is crazy. And if it goes to trial, those following/public will know definitely way more than is presented in the courtroom. He may take a deal and it be more less over case wise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back