TX TX - David, 41, & Susan Joost, 35, & two children, Buda, 4 March 1990

I believe I have a VHS copy of the episode somewhere...although my father, if he were alive, would never want it to surface. My father was the Sheriff and I lived less than 1/4 mile from the Joost’s when the incident occurred.

If you were around during that time, you would have noticed how vocal my father was about the case and how, at first he suspected foul play. However, within a day or two, the Rangers took over the case and his investigation was rather limited.

I really can’t add much to this thread, but can tell you that my father did not think much of David Yoost’s brother and the two attorneys who knowingly (in my fathers eyes) falsified information during the 20/20 shoot. He was also very upset about how several answers to his questions were edited in a way that made it sound like his team was incompetent.

To answer the “blood in the hallway that had been cleaned up” question - yes, it was a zipper that was not secure as the coroner rolled Mr Yoost out of the house and snagged on the doorway. My fathers comment about his deputies “inexperience” was about zipping the body bag. The editors of 20/20 must have thought it gave the story more appeal to attach that answer to how the entire crime scene was handled. Sensationalism at its best.

I believe I have a VHS copy of the episode somewhere...although my father, if he were alive, would never want it to surface. My father was the Sheriff and I lived less than 1/4 mile from the Joost’s when the incident occurred.

If you were around during that time, you would have noticed how vocal my father was about the case and how, at first he suspected foul play. However, within a day or two, the Rangers took over the case and his investigation was rather limited.

I really can’t add much to this thread, but can tell you that my father did not think much of David Yoost’s brother and the two attorneys who knowingly (in my fathers eyes) falsified information during the 20/20 shoot. He was also very upset about how several answers to his questions were edited in a way that made it sound like his team was incompetent.

To answer the “blood in the hallway that had been cleaned up” question - yes, it was a zipper that was not secure as the coroner rolled Mr Yoost out of the house and snagged on the doorway. My fathers comment about his deputies “inexperience” was about zipping the body bag. The editors of 20/20 must have thought it gave the story more appeal to attach that answer to how the entire crime scene was handled. Sensationalism at its best.
I wish I knew what the episodes name was. I can’t find it anywhere online at all. I’m very interested in the episode as I grew up my whole life in leisurewoods.

Eric Joost (the son) was actually one of my very good friends. We were in the same class in 3rd grade together, and we were both in a cub scouts troop in Buda, so we met and started our friendship. His mom was the sweetest lady. I have always hoped that someone would figure this case out and get closure for my childhood friend and his family. RIP Eric and family! You aren't forgotten. I will never forget some of the crazy things that happened immediately after the murders. I know the person that got the Joost's family phone number when they passed, and long story short, after the 20/20 story there were dozens of calls from people saying "We got you" and other thinly veiled threats and bragging that the family was taken care of. The Joost family were great people, and did not deserve any of this.

Eric Joost (the son) was actually one of my very good friends. We were in the same class in 3rd grade together, and we were both in a cub scouts troop in Buda, so we met and started our friendship. His mom was the sweetest lady. I have always hoped that someone would figure this case out and get closure for my childhood friend and his family. RIP Eric and family! You aren't forgotten. I will never forget some of the crazy things that happened immediately after the murders. I know the person that got the Joost's family phone number when they passed, and long story short, after the 20/20 story there were dozens of calls from people saying "We got you" and other thinly veiled threats and bragging that the family was taken care of. The Joost family were great people, and did not deserve any of this.

@Stormshadowixi , consider becoming a Verified Insider for this thread:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

We would love to know if you hear anything local.

jmho ymmv lrr

Thanks for the update, and thanks to whoever started this thread long ago. I used to live in Kyle, not far from Buda, and this case still haunts me.

Thanks for the update, and thanks to whoever started this thread long ago. I used to live in Kyle, not far from Buda, and this case still haunts me.
This would be a great case for an intrepid podcaster. It's just baffling and there's practically no information out there.

it was a zipper that was not secure as the coroner rolled Mr Yoost out of the house and snagged on the doorway. My fathers comment about his deputies “inexperience” was about zipping the body bag.
I am the OP on this thread. I'm really gratified that so many local folks have commented. It has helped to flesh out the picture for me a good bit. I no longer live in Hays County, but most of my family is still there. I worked for the state of Texas as a very young adult at the time of the killings and had cases with local LE.

- it does sound, from your recollections, as though I was receiving accurate information about the crime scene at the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back