GUILTY TX - Deputy Darren Goforth, 47, fatally shot, Harris County, 28 Aug 2015

Sheriff links 'national rhetoric' to killing of deputy in Houston
Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY
4:10 edt August 29 15

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson, who said the criticism of police had gotten out of hand.

"It is time for the silent majority in this country to support law enforcement," she told reporters at the news conference. "There are a few bad apples in every profession, that does not mean there should be open warfare on law enforcement."

"That does not mean that there should be open warfare declared on law enforcement. That vast majority of officers are there to do the right thing, are there because they care about their community and want to make it a safer place. What happened last night is an assault on the very fabric of society. It is not anything that we can tolerate."

~

just too true and so senselessly sad and out of control, the rhetoric and the dumb freaks acting out on it. I hadn't see the PC but had the same thoughts, so not at all unique and probably what the vast majority thinks too. It is the only human reaction worthwhile at this point for anyone who can help reverse this trend. In the old days, it was called agitation propaganda, now it helps make SM moguls get rich, so it thrives and people don't know where the real world ends and the virtual begins. It's where you tread to get attention, nuts, perverse cause mongers and politicians. Now, students, children, church goers, law enforcement, journalists, whole societies, drivers, movier goers, soldiers, shoppers, athletes... are all fair game to make a point. I'm sure there are more categories of people I've missed. Welcome to life as a virtual video game.

Pardon my rant.

HCSO: Suspect arrested, charged in shooting death of sheriff's deputy
Sheriff Hickman: Cops' lives matter too

Author: Nakia Cooper, Sr. Web Editor, Jonathan Martinez, Anchor/Reporter,
Jennifer Bauer, Reporter, Click 2 Houston,

Updated 2 m

http://abc13.com/news/hcso-arrest-made-in-shooting-death-of-harris-co-deputy/961336/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-arrest-suspect-killing-deputy-darren-goforth/

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman:

"Our system of justice absolutely requires a law enforcement presence to protect our community," Hickman said at an earlier news conference. "So at any point when the rhetoric ramps up to the point where calculated cold-blooded assassination of police officers happens, this rhetoric has gotten out of control.

"We've heard Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter. Well, cops' lives matter, too. So why don't we drop the qualifier and say lives matter."

[...]

Brian McCullar knew Goforth because the deputy had patroled his neighborhood, which is about two miles from the gas station, and the two spoke often.

"He was passionate about what he did," the 49-year-old said, adding, "We're still in shock. ... It's a huge loss for his family. It's a huge loss for this area.

"You're talking about a guy that made a difference," McCullar said.

HCSOTexas (@HCSOTexas): https://twitter.com/HCSOTexas?s=09

@SheriffHickman thanks deputies, partnering LE & staff for long hours overnight and today in finding suspect & bringing justice

Shannon Miles is currently in our custody. At this time, we have no motive--appears this was an unprovoked incident. #DarrenGoforth

Routine research led our deputies to arresting this suspect, bringing justice and peace to our deputies & community. #HouNews #DarrenGoforth

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/29dc.../latest-houston-deputy-hunt-suspect-continues

HOUSTON (AP) — Here are the latest developments regarding the fatal shooting of a suburban Houston sheriff's deputy (all times local):

4:40 p.m.

A 30-year-old man has been charged with capital murder in the ambush of a sheriff's deputy while he was filling his patrol car with gas at a station in suburban Houston.

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman identified the man as Shannon J. Miles, who is in police custody.

Hickman says Miles had a previous record including charges of resisting arrest and trespassing.

Authorities said they are not sure of the motive in what Hickman has described as a "cold-blooded assassination" of Deputy Darren Goforth.

More info at link....

Capital murder charges filed in deputy's death

A 30-year-old Cypress man has been charged with capital murder in the Friday killing of a 47-year-old Harris County Sheriff's deputy.

Shannon J. Miles, who has been arrested at least six other times, twice for using force against an officer, is accused of gunning down Deputy Darren Goforth at a Chevron station at Telge and West.

Miles is accused of shooting the officer multiple times, even after he had fallen to the ground.

"In my 45 years in law enforcement, I can't recall another incident so cold-blooded and cowardly," said Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman.

Online court records reveal a lengthy criminal past.

Miles' first reported arrest came in February 2005 for failing to identify and giving false information to police officers. He would be arrested six more times between the first arrest and 2009.

In July 2005 he was arrested by Harris County SO for criminal mischief greater than or equal to $1,500. On Oct. 2. 2005, he was arrested again by Harris County and held for eight days for resisting "arrest, search or transport."

In 2006 he was arrested for "discharging or displaying" a firearm. Plead guilty and was held for 10 days. On May 3, 2007, Jersey Village PD arrested Miles for evading arrest. Nine days later he was arrested again for criminal trespassing by Harris County Sheriff's Office.

On Jan. 29, 2009, Miles was arrested for preventing or obstructing officers duties by using force against the officer.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/capital-murder-charges-filed-in-deputys-death/ar-AAdKjRZ

BBM.

KZ opinion- Texas doesn't hesitate to carry out the death penalty for those convicted and sentenced. I think a TX jury will convict and vote for a death sentence in this case. I hope so. There's not much room to plead this down.

Thank You for making this fallen officer his own thread. Way too many LE dying lately.

RIP Officer. :star: :rose: :star:

katy, thank you for your post.
I agree with most, if not all of your opinions on this site.
I respect you and think that you are an invaluable member of Websleuths.

Given all that I have stated above, I am sincerely asking your opinion regarding what can we all do to remedy crimes such as these?
I feel so powerless and vulnerable because I simply cannot find a way to help to reduce these sorts of crimes.

I know that you have shared some of your personal history and I am sincerely concerned for your son. Where do you find the strength and courage knowing that he is in imminent danger every time he leaves the safety of his home every time he goes to work?

I don't think that I would have the strength and courage knowing that my only child's life is put on the line every single day while serving and protecting her community.
Thankfully my only child selected to pursue a nursing and Doula degree. She is a successful L & D (Labor and Delivery RN) as well as much desired Doula.

I've seen LE vilified far too much and I feel that the disgust, distrust and sheer hatred toward LE is unfounded and unfair.

I want to help, but I don't know how to go about it.
Thoughts?

My hands are shaking while I compose this post, please disregard spelling or grammar errors.
I am trying to come to terms with this crime emotionally and I am finding myself confused and hurt that I cannot hold on to a thought longer than a moment or two.
I will read this rest of the thread and attempt to calm down a bit.
If that does not work, I will watch Survivor re-runs on Amazon.

Apparently, the first mugshot that hit the web was the wrong person. Articles are scrambling to replace the pic with the correct one. This article has the "correct" one, along with a second pic. And ballistics match the gun recovered. During the search warrant search of the home, 2 hand guns were seen removed. Police have had him in custody since 2:30 a.m. according to this article-- about 6 hours after the shooting.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/29/s...harged-in-execution-of-texas-sheriffs-deputy/

Harris County sheriff Ron Hickman said at a press conference Saturday afternoon that a motive for the killing is still unknown. But he said he suspects that Goforth was killed because he is a cop. Hickman said ballistics tests showed that the gun used in the shooting matched one owned by Miles.

A Facebook account which appears to belong to Miles shows that he claims to have attended several Houston-area colleges, including the University of Houston and Prairie View A&M.

The latter is the university attended by Sandra Bland, the 28-year-old black women who committed suicide in a Waller County, Tex. jail in July.

Prairie View is about 30 miles from the site of Friday’s shooting. Activists associated with the Black Lives Matter movement protested over the circumstances of Bland’s July 10 arrest and her death three days later.

In a press conference held early Saturday afternoon before Miles’ arrest, Sheriff Hickman blasted the “very dangerous national rhetoric” being used by Black Lives Matter movement activists.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/29/s...ution-of-texas-sheriffs-deputy/#ixzz3kFQz9Ktq

Might want to rethink about the respect for the mother just saying!
http://abc13.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-deadly-ambush-on-deputy/961336/

The man's mother -- who didn't want to show her face or give her name -- tells Eyewitness News her son is innocent. She said, "My son is innocent. I was in the house with him, so when that happened, my son was home."

RIP Deputy Darren Goforth !

It figures.
Although "victims" I am convinced that these kind of monsters are taught to detest and despise LE at a very early age.
In accordance with the WB TOS, the family members are to be viewed as victims. In order to retain my membership here I am trying so hard to adhere to that rule.
However, where do we draw the line between stats, facts and common sense?

Just wondering....is there a war on cops?
Absolutely terrible & scary for LE across the nation right now.....terrible!

RBBM (respectfully bolded my me for newcomers).
Yes, Honey there is a war on cops. I would love your input regarding how to help remedy this war.
Thoughts?
I apologize for shortening your name, it's just that I've always thought of you as "Honey".
Please let me know if you prefer me to utilize a different name, your entire name etc...

Apparently, the first mugshot that hit the web was the wrong person. Articles are scrambling to replace the pic with the correct one. This article has the "correct" one, along with a second pic. And ballistics match the gun recovered. During the search warrant search of the home, 2 hand guns were seen removed. Police have had him in custody since 2:30 a.m. according to this article-- about 6 hours after the shooting.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/29/s...harged-in-execution-of-texas-sheriffs-deputy/

Thank you, K_Z. The murderer having used false ID's in his past may have thrown things off, possibly?

Deputy Darren Goforth's picture will so sadly forever remain the same. From what has been said of him by his community, I'm sure we'll come to know that he is a great loss to them, besides another tragic blow to the morale of law enforcement, may they for all our sake persevere.

Shannon Miles Arrested And Charged In Execution Of Texas Sheriff’s Deputy
Chuck Ross, Reporter, The Daily Caller
5:58 pm 8/29/15

Deputy Darren Goforth  TX shooting victim.png

Youtube video of the 4:30 press conference. **Note** the mug shot shown is NOT Shannon J. Miles. Harris County later retracted and released the correct one. (Geesh-- how could they make a mistake like THAT??)

[video=youtube;fmtWPBuqVE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=23&v=fmtWPBuqVE0[/video]

katy, thank you for your post.
I agree with most, if not all of your opinions on this site.
I respect you and think that you are an invaluable member of Websleuths.

Given all that I have stated above, I am sincerely asking your opinion regarding what can we all do to remedy crimes such as these?
I feel so powerless and vulnerable because I simply cannot find a way to help to reduce these sorts of crimes.

I know that you have shared some of your personal history and I am sincerely concerned for your son. Where do you find the strength and courage knowing that he is in imminent danger every time he leaves the safety of his home every time he goes to work?

I don't think that I would have the strength and courage knowing that my only child's life is put on the line every single day while serving and protecting her community.
Thankfully my only child selected to pursue a nursing and Doula degree. She is a successful L & D (Labor and Delivery RN) as well as much desired Doula.

I've seen LE vilified far too much and I feel that the disgust, distrust and sheer hatred toward LE is unfounded and unfair.

I want to help, but I don't know how to go about it.
Thoughts?

My hands are shaking while I compose this post, please disregard spelling or grammar errors.
I am trying to come to terms with this crime emotionally and I am finding myself confused and hurt that I cannot hold on to a thought longer than a moment or two.
I will read this rest of the thread and attempt to calm down a bit.
If that does not work, I will watch Survivor re-runs on Amazon.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. You made so many great points and emotional issues. I agree with every one of them.

My son has a 4 month old daughter, their first child. And so , with some sadness, he has decided to try and change careers. It makes him sad because he loves his work. But it is just a lose/lose situation right now.

He says that the public at large is very supportive and kind. But the people that cops try to arrest or even detain and question, have very aggressive, antagonistic attitudes nowadays. People often want to tussle and fight, even over tiny infractions. I guess they sense the automatic hesitation that the officers feel now. It is just not worth it.

I don't have any answers. I wish I did. I do feel that if MSM, and politicians keep pandering to the BLM nonsense it will only add more and more gas to the fire. But I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I do hope that everyday citizens take the chance to 'thank' officers that they run into around town and let them know they are truly appreciated. It makes a difference. JMO :cop:

RBBM (respectfully bolded my me for newcomers).
Yes, Honey there is a war on cops. I would love your input regarding how to help remedy this war.
Thoughts?
I apologize for shortening your name, it's just that I've always thought of you as "Honey".
Please let me know if you prefer me to utilize a different name, your entire name etc...

Hello Wysteria & Honey is perfectly fine.
My opinion is that our leadership missed their chance at creating a legacy. They clearly sent a message against our LE which is now backfiring.
They pandered to criminals & denied a common sense, law-abiding message and now this is the end result.

What can we do as concerned citizens? I say vote for the candidate that supports LE & comes down hard on criminals.

Sometimes wrong is just plain wrong---no wordy monologue is needed to try to make it right. Wordy PC politicians & "leaders" are getting me nauseous lately.
Moo

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. You made so many great points and emotional issues. I agree with every one of them.

My son has a 4 month old daughter, their first child. And so , with some sadness, he has decided to try and change careers. It makes him sad because he loves his work. But it is just a lose/lose situation right now.

He says that the public at large is very supportive and kind. But the people that cops try to arrest or even detain and question, have very aggressive, antagonistic attitudes nowadays. People often want to tussle and fight, even over tiny infractions. I guess they sense the automatic hesitation that the officers feel now. It is just not worth it.

I don't have any answers. I wish I did. I do feel that if MSM, and politicians keep pandering to the BLM nonsense it will only add more and more gas to the fire. But I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I do hope that everyday citizens take the chance to 'thank' officers that they run into around town and let them know they are truly appreciated. It makes a difference. JMO :cop:

I lost my first love who was an F-15 USAF pilot. We were engaged and although I begged him every day to consider a safer profession, he could not because he loved what he did and knew that as a fighter pilot, he was a target.

He died during routine manuevers . His jet malfunctioned. But he was never afraid of being shot down while doing his job.

Which is why as much as I loved him, we never married. I wanted a daddy for my children.

He was brave and kind, and always accepted the risk of his profession, even to the point of accepting that we would not marry and have a family. It was what he loved.

There is a photo of him in flight gear in our home, in a place of honor.

We all admire his dedication and bravery. Which is what a job like soldier, pilot or police officer requires.

Some jobs are horrifically dangerous and the men and women that choose them know that. Or should.

Thanks button never enough for you, the forever fabulous, katy:heartbeat:did.

I lost my first love who was an F-15 USAF pilot. We were engaged and although I begged him every day to consider a safer profession, he could not because he loved what he did and knew that as a fighter pilot, he was a target.

He died during routine manuevers . His jet malfunctioned. But he was never afraid of being shot down while doing his job.

Which is why as much as I loved him, we never married. I wanted a daddy for my children.

He was brave and kind, and always accepted the risk of his profession, even to the point of accepting that we would not marry and have a family. It was what he loved.

There is a photo of him in flight gear in our home, in a place of honor.

We all admire his dedication and bravery. Which is what a job like soldier, pilot or police officer requires.

Some jobs are horrifically dangerous and the men and women that choose them know that. Or should.

:grouphug:

So sorry about your first love. :rose:

The saddest thing about cops wanting to change careers now is that it is NOT fear of death that is scaring them off. They trust their training and they trust their backups to keep them alive. Many say that their biggest fear is they will make a split second decision to defend themselves and then be charged and imprisoned and go to trial for murder. Or, if they escape that, they will be fired, lose their pensions and benefits and all of the time spent building a life long career. Many are wondering if it is worth it with the current state of political animosity towards cops. Even when shooting at a fleeing armed suspect who is aiming a gun at a fellow cop, one can be publicly named, assailed, receive death threats, and put their families in danger. It is disgusting, IMO.

KHOU 11 News Houston (@KHOU): https://twitter.com/KHOU?s=09

More people are gathering at memorial for Deputy #DarrenGoforth. We'll be live at the scene tonight at 10. #KHOU11 http://t.co/pvJMW2BCEn

cbeb91606b9b2f32853a3b75b861769c.jpg

f574101fc55d5b736ce7d1fbde225386.jpg

Being local, I am furious about this case. The shooter is such a coward. His mom apparently lied to police and local media about where he was during the shooting. IMO, they need to press charges against her for obstruction of justice and any other charge they can bring. SMH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back